Sign in to follow this  
Ronin Warrior

Is BIS using Ageia

Not likely. But i'm sure the physics are improved.

One of those journalists who got a copy of the e3 demo should visit that bridge that was featured in the earlier videos and show us how exactly it blows up...

The PhysX system (I assume you're talking about the card) only works with the PhysX proprietary physics engine. Arma uses an update version of the OFP engine.

New and duplicate PhysX thread merged into here.

My friend has AGEIA and he said it doesn't make noticeable difference in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Another gimmick to steal dough from you.

Same visual result but better performance without it.

Thats because their graphicscard has trouble drawing all the stuff wink_o.gif

Physics cards are the future!

...And thats why ill wait with buying them untill we actually need them (wich is probably >1.5 years from now) wink_o.gif

So the GPU handles the textures and polygons , the Physx cards handles the physics , and assorted effects.

What does the new infinite core 7.8902 Ghz processor that i will buy do then?

What does the new infinite core 7.8902 Ghz processor that i will buy do then?

Handle the AI/sound/everything else, altough i would rather have a AIchip then a physics chip wink_o.gif

The sound will be taken care of by the Soundcard ofcourse wink_o.gif .

It seems the CPU is being neglected here. With all the advances in its speed why is there all of this debate on reducing processing weight from the CPU when it could handle it.

The sound will be taken care of by the Soundcard ofcourse  wink_o.gif .

It seems the CPU is being neglected here. With all the advances in its speed why is there all of this debate on reducing processing weight from the CPU when it could handle it.

Unless you dont have one/turned off/whatever wink_o.gif

Well, as proven, the CPU cant handle the things a Physics chip can, but most people dont want to spend 200€/$ on a such a thing when it can be turned off, altough they have less flashy effects the game usually plays the same so it doesnt really matter wink_o.gif

Yeah, the performance difference in GR has to do with a hardware bottleneck that is not the physics chip. The game engine must produce more particles and such, and the graphics card must draw them. But what does antialiasing do but sacrifice performance for visual spectacle?

The number and complexity of AI controlled characters, the number of objects that the computer must keep in memory, and so on are good examples of what would bog down your cpu. The number of triangles, and the number and bit depth of textures are what may affect your graphics card. Aegia increases the number of all of the above (except AI controlled characters. The aegia chip conceivably controls the behaviour of the particles once the cpu produces them).

My understanding of how the aegia chip works and how it is different than, say, a graphics card, is as follows. A graphics engine uses a third party API to tell the graphics card what to do. Open GL and Direct3d are the examples of the remaining mainstream 3d graphics API's. Aegia makes its own proprietary PhysX engine that utilizes the PhysX chip. This sort of forces companies to use the PhysX engine if you want to use the chip. I think that if Aegia wanted to really sell units, that they should release some kind of API that allows developers to make their own physics software.

Quote[/b] ]The Ageia PPU card is useless :

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1056037

No, you are wrong. It's only useless in those particular circumstances. I bet there are demos/games that really make full use of the card, and those would show very different results in software vs hardware mode.

Quote[/b] ]The Ageia PPU card is useless :

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1056037

No, you are wrong. It's only useless in those particular circumstances. I bet there are demos/games that really make full use of the card, and those would show very different results in software vs hardware mode.

Thats why its currently useless to buy a PPU, there are NO games yet which greatly improve the game experience, but in 1 or 2 years, it will be natural to have one smile_o.gif