el Gringo Loco

Military Humor

FCXhmFmOPMM

Wow, this is a real bad joke... funny as hell though but not for the victim of the joke.

Here is a new book that is coming out:

newbook.jpg

Actually, this image is several years old.

This from Reader's Digest years ago went something like this-

"On relieving an artillery spotter at an observation post near Anzio in WW2, I glanced through his log for his watch and saw this amusing entry-

'14:22 hrs: Action:- Ordered 6x 81mm mortar rounds to be dropped on German motorcyclist.

Result of action:- made motorcyclist accelerate"

No Joke: Yesterday I saw some news report about the uprising in Lybia, and there I saw a pick up with a S- 5 rocket Launcher mounted on the roof. Much like this

800xo.jpg

Its amazing what can be welled on a pick up

Just amazing how creazy(creative) humans are when in desperation... when no other alternative was given

How are they going to aim that thing without frying themselves in the backblast?

I guess they adjust it towards the enemy, step aside and launch it remotedly. I wonder that the pick up isn´t teared appart by the backblast

I guess they adjust it towards the enemy, step aside and launch it remotedly. I wonder that the pick up isn´t teared appart by the backblast

Perhaps the pictures were taken before they tried using it.

I don´t think so, apparently they use those things to a great extend.

I don´t think so, apparently they use those things to a great extend.

Then perhaps that specific truck hasn't been used yet and the other ones get damaged. Or maybe they just don't.

Another option is that they turn them so it goes across the width of the truck and they fire it that way. I was also thinking that maybe those rockets only have a single burst of rocket fire when they launch which would be aimed out the side of the truck and thus wouldn't damage anything. Doesn't really matter though.

Edited by Jakerod

I've seen another pickup with two S-5 pods mounted side-by-side.

And would the backblast do much more than strip the paint? So long as the tires and windows are out of the way, everything should be fine.

And I honestly don't know why we don't stick some cheap-as-chip rocket pods on our humvees so we don't have to call in artillery all the time.

I don't think cheap rockets would be as good as artillery. We do have mk19s... or at least my country does. I'm not sure where you're from but I was assuming US.

Well this S-5 Launchers have unguided Rockets, and you cant really aim with that. So imagine what would happen if the US gets to use something like this in A-stan. There are already enough dead civies with the relative precise Weapons that are used now. And I think its a real pain in the Ass to rearm this Thing. It just takes too long to rearm after one salvo.

The Mk19s are alright and absolutely sufficient.

tzsrch.carousel.libya.jpg

Small picture that was on a banner at CNN. Same thing that we were discussing before.

Well this S-5 Launchers have unguided Rockets, and you cant really aim with that. So imagine what would happen if the US gets to use something like this in A-stan. There are already enough dead civies with the relative precise Weapons that are used now. And I think its a real pain in the Ass to rearm this Thing. It just takes too long to rearm after one salvo.

depend goals.

for example, S-5 launchers provide considerably longer range and provide considerably HIGHER fire performance, which can be exploited both on offense AND defense.

and maintenance&etc isn't hard/tricky.

but i can admit, when someone mount S-8 launcher on pickup, way more dangerous thing, appear -)

I meant as an anti-structure weapon that is cheap, redundant and instantaneous while sill being sufficiently accurate.

The Mk. 19 pretty helpless against a thick compound wall, and we've been wasting $80,000 javelins against individual structures. Then you have tanks which have the choice of two anti-tank rounds for the main gun. Any HEAT weapon is only going to hurt as much as a grenade if it's fired through thick masonry.

It would be nice to just fling a bunch of rockets at a compound instead of waiting for the airstrike or having to suppress everyone until the mortars land.