Sign in to follow this  
Shottie

Question about Add-ons.

Forgive me noob and lazy question: Why can't people who make missions put everything needed for it in one DL and install? Instead of having a huge list of links to go DL it, I understand different things require different ways of installing, but keeping everything together and having the readme should get the job done, right? thanks guys. xmas_o.gif

imagin you download 300MB (or more) mission with addons that you already have....

how would you like that ?

Imagin DLing that much just in things you dont have, and having to do it one by one, how would you like that?

I never said that could be the only way, they could have one huge DL with everything and another links with seperate DLs.

Many users don't like mission installations as .exe because of security reasons.

A big mission zip with many addons and all the readmes could be even more confussing than the links.

Every mission maker would have to find a host without download limit.

And personaly it would take me very long to upload at 128kbps.

Imagin DLing that much just in things you dont have, and having to do it one by one, how would you like that?

Ah, so better to download it all over and over again instead of only the stuff you don't have yet......pure logic at work icon_rolleyes.gif

Ah, so better to download it all over and over again instead of only the stuff you don't have yet......pure logic at work icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow, people need to learn how to read the rest of the post instead of finding one thing to flame on. I asked a single question and I get people ripping it apart like its a thesis. Can't people ask simple questions without smart-ass comments? All I wanted was a simple 'yes' or 'no' with an explanation not a 'hell no' followed by a rude and ignorant comment.

There are:

A. Community shattering ideas, see DXDLL.

B. There are good ideas, see many addons and mods.

C. There are average ideas, see all of the abandoned mods, addons etc.

D. There are ideas that could have been found ''lacking of sense'' with a bit of proper thinking.

Your idea falls in category D, as it makes no sense what so ever to download 10 missions weighing in at 300MB each when 8 out of 10 missions use the same addons (there are quite few addons actively used in missions). Bandwidth limits would be ripped to shreds.

Common sense, you know it makes sense yay.gif

Also, I can understand that Offtime (and I) needed to add his bit of (usual) sarcasm, as it is so obvious to see that your idea is a big ''no'' goodnight.gif

That has just answered your question. Good that your thinking of new ideas, but this particular one isn't going to make it into the OFP Hall Of Fame (if that even existed) thumbs-up.gif

It may work for missions that only require something like a boat of 700kb, to prevent someone years later from getting a ''Connection refused'' error when that person tries to download a required addon for a mission when he feels like playing an old classic (OFP). I've had my own share of having difficulties of finding older addons required for older missions. But although I have a pretty fast connection (6mbit down) I have seen missions that require over 200MB of addons, and that's just ridicioulous, either included with the mission or by seperate download. So much addons for just one mission is crazy. Mods with large campaigns and alot of SP and MP missions are supposed to be 200MB, not single missions... confused_o.gif

i wrote answer in form of a question just to make you think Shottie about one of many consequences of your idea.

answer is so obvious, question why grass is green is way more complicated becouse answer requires some knowledge from base school, your question just requires some logical thinking.

so please, dont accuse us to be arrogant, we just wanted you to start thinking.

Alot of missions have in their ReadMe a URL for a link to download the addons, just a quick copy and paste. If they dont, a quick copy and paste of the addon name into OFP.info search will normally bring it up to.

I would like a programme like OFPWatch (i think it is) which auto downloads those addons you dont have for a server, but modified to use on a mission instead.