Sign in to follow this  
Sarge6754

SMOKE!

In Armed Assault, what will happen if there is smoke from, say, a burning house, and then a home across the street is blown up by a 500 lb bomb? Will the smoke be blown the opposite direction?

What about the wind in the game? Will the wind affect projectile trajectories over distances? Will the wind change dynamically and affect smoke particle fx and grass?

I would be amazed if these features were in, even in a simplified form... it would add to the atmosphere exponentially.

Having the wind effect air vehicles would be a cool feature as well. I wrote a script to pesudo do this in OFP, but it only worked on helicopters.

Smoke and dust are very dominating factors at a battlefield!

Up to today there was no realistic portrait of smoke in a computer game.

I would love to see a better implementation!

But I am aware of the huge work load for the processor this would bring, when not programmed properly.

imagine:

-you come under small arms fire and can not see shit because of all the dust being kiked up by incoming bullets.

- a sunny day but it get´s all dark because of smoke of burning vehicles and houses.

-you find the battle because of  a huge smoke cloud.

-you loose contact to the target because of smoke and dust.

icon_rolleyes.gif

i fully agree smoke and dust can very kick in feel of "you are in battle" ...

game will be less fun w/o all these dust / smoke scripts released in past years for OFP/OFPR ..

*Sees the terrible, GPU violating, Lag-monster arouse from it's DirectX8 wintersleep*

All these new ''realism'' ideas make me fear a slideshow instead of a game/simulator...

(And yes, I know the word ''arouse'' has more than one meaning whistle.gif )

I don't really care about the whole lag thing since I'm used to playing with a view distance of 1000 and 800x600 resolution. I think it gives me crisper graphics... Oh, who the hell am I kidding. sad_o.gif

tounge2.gif

I do hope to see some new dust and smoke effects. Gameplay is what makes a game good. The extra effects is what makes it a great cinematic experience. I like cinematic experiences. Alot. biggrin_o.gif It's the atmosphere that gets you with those.