Sign in to follow this  
-MP-OFP-CRICON

Racial Violence Continues in Australia

I think the reason the media covered it so immensely is that a race-riot in Austrailia is the last thing anyone would expect. The county has always been seen by most people as a friendly and very open place, I think it's come as more of a shock to hear it's happened in Austrailia, and espesially during Christmas time.

Drink reveals the second side in some of us. And if that is correct, then it proves that some people aren't dealing with racial issues properlly, more "sweeping it under the carpet" than anything else.

It's rather disturbing really. sad_o.gif

I'm not too sure where freedom of speech comes into it, except where it is covered by law; "Incitement to Racial Hatred" is a crime here in Britain for example.

But as the saying goes, Actions speak louder than words.

I couldn't care less if some bozo's shooting his mouth off in public over a disdainful topic, as it merely shows his ignorance and isn't much of a nuisance. It's only when people start actually acting on inflammatory exhortations when trouble begins - freedom of speech is something to be cherished, but if you cross the line, and translate words into violence, then quite frankly you should pay big time.

From what I gather there seem to be "bozos" on either side of the line in Australia (as with other places), but what I find interesting is that John Howard seems to be the biggest "bozo" of all. "All is calm", he drawls in his Sydney mansio.

And in the short term, IMO, Police Forces need to find a far better method of shutting down riots quicker. A line of police officers with 12ga Shot guns drawing back the slide, reading of the Riot Act, and a warning that the first shell is a blank, and the rest are steel shot. use tactics like that and the streets will empty quickly. Either that or there'll be a lot of wounded idiots on the ground whistle.gif.

Well you can thank the numbnuts here in Seattle that took the city to the ground during WTO'99 and pounded the limo of SecState Albright and pushed the cops to the water's edge for the change in tactics in the US. They haven't gotten to hardcore 'rubber bullet to the knee accidents' yet (there was that pepperball to the face in Boston though), but on the other hand they generally don't let stuff get started any more. Unless it's New Orleans. wink_o.gif

Side-Topic but related:

Funny how words can cross national boundaries and contain completely different contexts.

From the use of the word 'immigrant' from most of the European/Australian lads here, I gather it's used to describe most Middle-Eastern, Asian, etc.. people who've recently settled in European/Australian locations. Sometimes said in a deragatory manner by others?

In the US, we've used it to describe..... well... you guys.  biggrin_o.gif

Has me thoroughly confused sometimes reading this stuff.

*Edit* Not to mention that whole Australian 'Liberal' party thing. Can the world be any more confusing?

What do you call mexicans??  tounge2.gif

Mexicans! tounge2.gif

No... I know... I was just trying to make a jocular point and hoped no one would notice the obvious.

And in the short term, IMO, Police Forces need to find a far better method of shutting down riots quicker.  A line of police officers with 12ga Shot guns drawing back the slide, reading of the Riot Act, and a warning that the first shell is a blank, and the rest are steel shot.  use tactics like that and the streets will empty quickly.  Either that or there'll be a lot of wounded idiots on the ground whistle.gif.

They recalled the State Parilment today to give the Police more power to control the situation. Things like stop and search, curfews and closing pubs. But it's just treating the symptons not the cause of course....

They recalled the State Parilment today to give the Police more power to control the situation. Things like stop and search, curfews and closing pubs. But it's just treating the symptons not the cause of course....

Too true. And hopefully the NSW Parliament will ponder on the causes when it no doubt starts imposing near draconian measures.

However, it would be nice if police forces had measures on the shelf beforehand so as to make the "symptoms" as shot and painless as possible. The French Authorities are no doubt still reeling from the amount of time it took to quell the disturbances there, and Sydney Authorities will probably be unhappy at just how long this kind of insanity was allowed to last.

While I agree that something had to be done about the violence, rushing such radical changes to the law through parliament is of concern, especially hot on the heels on Howard's anti-terrorism measures.

The ease with which our civil liberties are being revoked in the name of safety is extremely worrying.

At least there's a 2 year sunset clause on the NSW laws...I guess.. icon_rolleyes.gif

NFI about the anti-terror laws....guess they can repeal them once they win the war on terror...right? sad_o.gif

While I agree that something had to be done about the violence, rushing such radical changes to the law through parliament is of concern, especially hot on the heels on Howard's anti-terrorism measures.

The ease with which our civil liberties are being revoked in the name of safety is extremely worrying.

Well if the "terrorists hate our freedoms", by not having any, we are no longer a target!

Well if the "terrorists hate our freedoms", by not having any, we are no longer a target!

I think I just found a new signature line biggrin_o.gifconfused_o.gif

I dont think what happend downunder is any diff of anyother country,if a gang was going around my area gang raping woman and just not giving a shit about that country law or life then the locals would rise..while its not right to go on the rampage hitting any1 with a darker skin tone i cant really blame them.the lifegard thing was the last straw for them.