Sign in to follow this  
.pablo.

dynamic optics

this was taken from a video of an ah-1w cobra:

cobrakiss10-6382009_0001.jpg

as you can see in the picture, the gunsight contains dynamic elements, such as the direction indicator, a weapon indicator, what looks like a gps indicator, what looks like a distance to target indicator, as well as dynamic crosshairs.

what i'm wondering is, would it be possible to recreate those kinds of dynamic elements in ofp? ***from the little i know about the way sights are defined, it looks like it would have to be done via graphical overlays (a la CTI menus) rather than through a .p3d, but even on this point i'm unsure.

on a second note, i recently contacted kegetys to see if it was possible to desaturate the screen and perhaps even add a slight blur effect through post-processing effects (like those done by dxdll). ***the program would have to somehow be able to detect when the person was using the gunsight, which led me to believe that perhaps using Fwatch to detect when the player hit the "v" key might work, but again, i don't know much about it, and so i'm looking for anyone else's opinion on what could be done.

any ideas?

Edited by .pablo.

From what I understand, detecting via the optics keybind would be pretty unreliable, since the thirdperson toggle keybind also cancels out of optics view.

As for the dynamic readouts, I would think that dialogues or some form of cutRsc would be the way to go (the project I'm working on at the moment might end up using something like that, depending on whether I can be arsed tounge2.gif). I doubt it would be possible to integrate into the optics .p3d.

Things like this have been proposed before but OFP's ironsights have a load of limitations, because basically youre just looking at a 3d object with a fixed texture. Hopefully ArmA will fix this.

sorry to get Off Topic, but the tank under the bridge in the movie, how come the warhead didn't explode till the civilian traffic was clear?

sorry to get Off Topic, but the tank under the bridge in the movie, how come the warhead didn't explode till the civilian traffic was clear?

The missile was still in flight at the time the vehicles drove on the bridge.

You can see the missile ( a TOW in this case) fly (and look how slow it is, pretty impressive) all the way to its target. Imagine the missile had struck just as that petrol tanker was passing overhead crazy_o.gifwow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]From what I understand, detecting via the optics keybind would be pretty unreliable, since the thirdperson toggle keybind also cancels out of optics view.

couldn't you just set it up to also detect when the thirdperson button was hit?

Quote[/b] ]As for the dynamic readouts, I would think that dialogues or some form of cutRsc would be the way to go (the project I'm working on at the moment might end up using something like that, depending on whether I can be arsed)

have any more info about what the project will involve?

Quote[/b] ]Things like this have been proposed before but OFP's ironsights have a load of limitations, because basically youre just looking at a 3d object with a fixed texture.

that's what i was thinking; i was hoping that a combination of ofp dialogues and external programs (like dxdll) could achieve the desired effect.

Quote[/b] ]From what I understand, detecting via the optics keybind would be pretty unreliable, since the thirdperson toggle keybind also cancels out of optics view.

couldn't you just set it up to also detect when the thirdperson button was hit?

Sure, but without some serious error checking, you wouldn't be able to tell if the player wants to get to third person, or if he was originally in optics view. Basically it doesn't seem like it would work properly, without a built-in way to actually tell if the person is in optics mode.

Quote[/b] ]As for the dynamic readouts, I would think that dialogues or some form of cutRsc would be the way to go (the project I'm working on at the moment might end up using something like that, depending on whether I can be arsed)

have any more info about what the project will involve?

The OFP Combat Photography Project

biggrin_o.gif

this was taken from a video of an ah-1z cobra:

Great video, seen it before, but it was not taken from an AH-1Z as it is still under going testing. It is the optics sight of an AH-1W Super Cobra tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sure, but without some serious error checking, you wouldn't be able to tell if the player wants to get to third person, or if he was originally in optics view. Basically it doesn't seem like it would work properly, without a built-in way to actually tell if the person is in optics mode.

hmm, i'm not sure that i understand...setting it up so that hitting the optics view enables the effect, and then hitting either the optics view or the third person view disables it, wouldn't work?  i'll have to do some testing later to figure out exactly how switching from optics to third-person works...

all this trouble over something i don't even use...honestly, i say screw anyone who uses third person. pistols.giftounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Great video, seen it before, but it was not taken from an AH-1Z as it is still under going testing. It is the optics sight of an AH-1W Super Cobra

whoops, fixed; do you know anything else about optics on ah-1s?  one thing i haven't been sure about was whether the older models used different optics (or the new z model for that matter), and also exactly how the optics worked.  you can see the crosshair type change at different points in the video, but i couldn't figure out what purpose it had (for example, the gunner uses both crosshairs when using the 20mm cannon).  also, i couldn't exactly figure out what all the indicators on the HUD meant...

Not being one to miss an oppertunity for self promotion, perhaps you'd like to have a look at my optics/bombsight/MFD thing?

dxdshot1120032641.jpg

It was made for the A10 LGB, I was working on a version for a chopper too. If you're interested, Here's the thread and Here's the link on OFPEC

very well done!

it's still a little rough around the edges, but even still, i had more fun in the 5 minutes i tested it than i have ever had before with aircraft in ofp. this is seriously something that needs to go into WGL; i can already see the RECON feature being used in CTI. i'm going to post about it right after i'm done here (see my sig for the link to the WGL forums).

anyway, to stay on topic, what were you trying to do with the apache MFD? when i tried your MFD i remembered that using graphics seems to disable the ability to look around; can that be disabled?

also, do you know anything about how the r/l versions are controlled? or anything about the r/l versions at all, for that matter? i'm really in the dark right now, and i'm looking for anyone who could enlighten me.

Edited by .pablo.

oh my dear GOD, that is the COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN OFP AIRCRAFT.

Gee whiz! Thanks for your kind words .Pablo. welcome.gif There's a version for Gnats B52 addon around here somewhere too. To answer your question, I was trying to force the gunner in the Apache to target something (anything, damn it) and then launch a hellfire at it. No joy. The Hellfire would launch, but wouldn't be locked on and just lazily flew off into the distance sad_o.gif . I did manage to get it sort of working with the 30mm cannon though. Looks pretty sweet with FlashFX and the tracer addon (by Bn880?). You can zoom right in and watch the rounds impact. My access to Flashpoint is limited, so not much time to work on it, have to butter up my housemate and ask to install it on his new beast of a PC tounge2.gif. I'd like to get a new, sharper proper A10 background/cockpit image and perhaps change the colours a bit? Been ages since I worked on this so I'll have to figure out what I'm doing/did all over again!

It is semi-possible for OFP craft to have dynamic indicators on the "sight".

why semi-possible? well, DKM did it, here's how (as far as I could see)

They made the "V" sight simply zoom the screen IN a bit (like with the jeep MG) , so it looked trough the accurately modelled and working HUD.

Quote[/b] ]I did manage to get it sort of working with the 30mm cannon though. Looks pretty sweet with FlashFX and the tracer addon (by Bn880?). You can zoom right in and watch the rounds impact.

any chance of releasing an early version for people to play with?

Quote[/b] ]I'd like to get a new, sharper proper A10 background/cockpit image and perhaps change the colours a bit?

i suggest you check out WGL's new A-10 cockpit textures:

02admiringthea10.jpg

Quote[/b] ]http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/news/videogallery.html

some good footage! Operation Trident had a video out that showed them using a sort of TI system, but not herd much from them. good luck

yeah those are good videos, and the AGM ones show the missile videos i was talking about. anyone know the difference between GBU's and missiles (in terms of how they behave)?

Quote[/b] ]They made the "V" sight simply zoom the screen IN a bit (like with the jeep MG) , so it looked trough the accurately modelled and working HUD.

what addon was that for? i wouldn't mind checking that out...

Jesus H Christ, is that an in-game cockpit shot?! wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]anyone know the difference between GBU's and missiles (in terms of how they behave)?

One's self-propelled and the other is a freefall (with steering)? huh.gif If I completely missed the point of your question, feel free to reach out and smack me. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]One's self-propelled and the other is a freefall (with steering)?

k, that's what i thought; the reason i asked was because the GBU's in ofp don't seem to currently "steer" to their target in ofp, and rather act like "dumb" bombs. this is very noticeable when using the MFD, as the GBU will frequently miss the target. anyone have an idea of how hard it would be to implement a guidance system based on the type of bomb dropped?

also, i was asking because in all of the videos i have seen, it is missiles (and not bombs) that come in from some random angle to destroy the target; i was curious as to why the missiles come in from such peculiar angles, and why i don't recall ever seeing an MFD video of a GBU being dropped...anyone have any ideas?

Most missiles try to come down on the top armour of tanks except some take the most direct path. and the tv guided ones can be guided manually i think. It also depends on distance if the missiles cant make it directly top down because of fuel or whatever theyll try and glide in on the sharpest trajectory. Im no saying im gospel but thats what i get from the articles ive read so far. I was jus thinking also. for range would it be possible to get the game to put a waypoint on the target wherever the crosshair is pointed and have the distance show up from that?? I know not of scripting etc but was just a thought... Ps any know any links that show good pictures of a ka-50 from all angles??preferably with a pic of the door open too?

...I was jus thinking also. for range would it be possible to get  the game to put a waypoint on the target wherever the crosshair is pointed and have the distance show up from that??...

That MAY be possible. I remember seeing something sort of similar to that a long time ago, not long after the laser designator/LGBs were introduced in a patch, that placed a waypoint to help those not using a laser-designator, drop so called "dumb LGBS" accurately on target. It placed a waypoint ahead of the A10/SU25 based on the height of the aircraft, and the speed at which it was going, these calculated fairly accurately where the bombs would hit if dropped unguided. I think it came from OFPEC.com if anyone is interested.

...the GBU's in ofp don't seem to currently "steer" to their target in ofp, and rather act like "dumb" bombs. this is very noticeable when using the MFD, as the GBU will frequently miss the target.

The GBU's on the default A10 LGB need a unit (soldier or a chopper) with a Laser designator to "paint" the target. Then the bomb will be guided to the target. From memory Diesel's A10 has both free fall and GBU bombs.

Quote[/b] ] also, i was asking because in all of the videos i have seen, it is missiles (and not bombs) that come in from some random angle to destroy the target...
Any bomb dropped from a fixed wing aircraft will be more than big enough to destroy any tank, regardless of where it hits. I seem to remember hearing that the RAAF F/A18s in Operation Iraqi freedom dropped concrete practice bombs, fitted with laser seeking heads and the steering fins, on Iraqi armour in built up urban areas. The idea being that 2000lbs of concrete dropped from 10,000ft was plenty to destroy a shitbox T-55 with a direct hit. Of course with no explosives, there was less chance of hurting civiliians. "We got A kinder, gentler machine gun hand" whistle.gif

You'll be the first to know Pablo, if I can get that chopper version out. Have to find a big photo of an MFD in an Apache from directly front on...

Quote[/b] ]I remember seeing something sort of similar to that a long time ago, not long after the laser designator/LGBs were introduced in a patch, that placed a waypoint to help those not using a laser-designator, drop so called "dumb LGBS" accurately on target.
That's exactly what my MFD dialougue does biggrin_o.gif . I butchered Rastavovich's original script so that a camera looks at the spot.