Sign in to follow this  
Russkie

Radeon Vs. Geforce

Can someone tell me between the main difference between these two brands. Radeon seems cheaper with the same amount of quality as geforce, but geforce is more expensive.

For example:

Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR 8X AGP and a Geforce 6600 256mb 8X AGP. But the Radeon is only 70$ while Geforce is up to 110$.

Depends really on what you play, nvidia has better drivers and performs better in certain games while ATI is.. cheaper.

Me? I bought an ATI 9800 pro 6 months ago for 120e as I could not afford anything better. yay.gif

Does the default core Frequency make a difference in performance?

Im happy with my geforce... You will never have problems with a geforce card... and if you do, they will be fixed ASAP.

ATI isnt as bad as they used to (Their drivers used to suck really much).

NIVIDA stuff is top notch, I wouldn't use an ATI RADEON card for anything, even if it could stop a table or chair from wobbling, or save me money on my car insurance.   rofl.gif

I didn't buy this card or a computer with it, but I regularly use a computer with this card and I hate it worse than I do than politics and Kim Jong Il.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Havoc.

Does the default core Frequency make a difference in performance?

Surprisingly little, personally I use toms hardware benchmark charts as my main way of measuring performance.

Well, this reminds me somehow on chosing pest or cholera...

Readan cards are fine, quiet and fast, but the developers are just too stupid to make some good drivers.

Geforce cards are fine, fast and have good drivers, but they're loud as hell...

Actually, I got a Geforce 6800 GT and I'm quiet happy with it smile_o.gif

i think there is not much between them to be honest, at the same level they perform as good as eachother. i chose nvidia cause of there 64 bit support for both my nforce 4 and pci express drivers.

guess mobo makes biggest part of gfx card decision in my case.

as for the alienware story, think that is economics rather than performance. smile_o.gif.

Apparently Radeon are the current leaders in performance (that would explain why Alienware switched from Nvidia to Radeon)

Tbh I guess it's a matter of opinion! wink_o.gif

Unless you are buying GFX cards that cost more than 400e it does not matter which "performs better," only which provides more bang for the buck.

Im happy with my geforce... You will never have problems with a geforce card... and if you do, they will be fixed ASAP.

My 6600GT agp gave me artifacts and crashing issues including system reboots with the early driver version that came with it, the amount of people who experienced issues with 6600GT's and RMA'ed their cards must have broken records out there.

It took nvidia alot of driver versions to sort out most of these problems, i remember reading and posting at nvidia's boards, it was scary.

Has for the diference betwean 9600XT and 6600 the price diference is justified imo but i would still throw a bit more for a 6600GT if your mobo and psu are up to it or atleast a 9800 pro smile_o.gif .

Can someone tell me between the main difference between these two brands.

The main difference is that once choosing one, you will own one or the other. End of discernable difference. wink_o.gif

I stick to Nvidia after various problems i had with ATI cards.

Nvidia provides the best driver support you can get. I don`t care wich card is faster. Nvida is fast enough for me, especialy as i don`t have the money to buy always the latest hardware.

ATI has much worse OpenGL drivers coding. I can tell you that as I use Maya and it craps out on me every now and then just because of that. I even consulted that with OmegaDrivers guy to help me out with it.

So, if you use OpenGl applications stay away from ATI cards.

I was very very satisfied with my Radeon 9800 Pro and I hardly see big advantages in games such as BF2 and FarCry now with my 7800GTX. And now even my OFP looks a bit screwed up! (in the Menu many images appear folded or upside down! crazy_o.gif )

Well Radeon Vs Geforce is a neverending battle untill they change the name wink_o.gif, so you better called the thread ATI vs NVIDIA.

Well ATI has the best performance, their drivers are indeed not that good, but the good thing is with driverupdates they can increase performance increadibly well(their last new graphic cards I mean)

Nvidia is indeed a bit better in opengl, so also better for linuxusers. I personally had some problems with my ati on various linux distributions, but once it works, it works well luckely.

Anyway in my opinion, the difference is minimal, and will stay minimal. You get about the same for the same price. I felt ATI is slighty cheaper for a bit more of performance. but this is neglictable for normal computerusers.

So, in short, both have their plusses and minusses. It's more personnal taste that matters these days wink_o.gif

Nvidia supports > 2048 pixel textures, ATI does not.

Nvidia supports Linux, ATI does not.

Nvidia supported OpenGL from day one, ATI's is still botched.

Nvidia supports spanning (crucial for DX multiheading), ATI does not.

The All-in-wonder is nice though, and the memory ring is an interesting idea.

ATI is really good.

Nvidia is really good.

i had an ati9800pro a few years ago. performed well. never had a problem.

got an nvidia7800gtx 256MB. no problems either. really fast.

the only real hard decision is when going for the top of the range from either brand. you seem to be looking at mid-range cards so you should be ok no matter whcih you choose.

at the moment nvidia have a better performing option in the 7800GTX range and the SLI option. but that could change quite easily.

Well Radeon Vs Geforce is a neverending battle untill they change the name wink_o.gif, so you better called the thread ATI vs NVIDIA.

Well, so they thought about 3dfx vs. nvidia some years back too.. yay.gif