Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Tea

Addon handling in Arma

Can someone explain the addon handling Armed Assault will use.

Do we still need mod folders, or is the addon handling that flexible, so we can drop all addons in, and tell from the option menu what units we like to use.

An improved addon handling is very importend for Arma, imo.

how about mods with different custom config files and all that? they are the conflict makers

Yes, but maybe we dont need this configs any longer. Maybe we can select, for example HYK_USsol as standart us troops used in arma.

What's wrong with mod folders? I think it's a great way to organize addons. Though it would be handy if you could choose the mod folders in-game without restart.

It`s a great way to organize addons because we have to. If OFP1 would have give another addon handling, we wouldn`t need mod folders. It`s anoying when you start a mission and an messege pops up, and tells you that there is something missing. You shut down OFP, restart it with mod A that includes the missing file. Than another message pops up, because an addon in mod A needs another addon in mod xy, or the missing addon cant be used when it is installed in two active mods. Mod folders helped alot, but the use of mod folders produce problems also. With the full conversion mods it is another problem. You have to install tons of addons, that you already have installed. My OFP installation wights 18.7Gb, and most of this is caused by mods that have all the same addons in it.

Every other game uses mod folders. AFAIK there is no better and easier option at the moment. Try modding Rome: Total War, that thing is mess to mod, because it doesn't have mod folders.

So I don't think that BIS should fix what is not broken.

I don`t want to discuss how the addon handling should be.

I want to know how it will be.

If Arma needs the use of mod folders, will it possible to change mods without restarting the game? huh.gif

Perhaps this is the chance of standardizing addons. With that I mean standarized armor and damage. Like that we could use the addons for different mods etc, spares some work for some people and it will allow balanced addons. Just an idea, of course, this is only possible if addonmakers agree with this huh.gif

It would be quite good if the BIS could spread gradually the technical information connected with updating old addons for AA

Yeah whats wrong with mod folders? crazy_o.gif

they where a great adition cause before when mod folders wheren't supported by ofp to many addons in the addons folder got very very very messy especially for people like me enjoyed addons, and plenty of them biggrin_o.gif

But i could agree that a easier way to switch between the mods & mod folders activated than the current way would be very nice welcome.gif something like having a option in options where you click the boxes the mod folder names to activate or deactivate them wink_o.gif

say like this

BAS [ ] and inside the box i made you could be able to click for activate or deactivate. And you have a list of all folders in the ofp folder that is recognized as mod folders, could be that you can have a @ infront of the name or a bas_mod or something on the folder name to say it is a mod folder, or just a config file inside it that is read and it tells ofp its a mod folder?

just a few ideas there wink_o.gif i dunno if its possible that last one to do really anyways tounge2.gif

Yeah, but if that happens people will never quit out of ArmA. The only reason most people quit out of OFP at the moment is to switch mods. If switching mods will be available from the game.... we're all doomed... biggrin_o.gif

Good point! We all need a reason to escape the game just to get some sleep!

Or maybee BIS will make it possible for us to do that within the game!! rofl.gif