Sign in to follow this  
Scrub

Next-Gen CTI

Thanks UNN for the response, umm, sorry for getting so 'into' my own concept there, I guess I was just trying to defend the mission's 'doability', I just get a little inspired (actually alot sometimes) when I imagine what kind of ultra-realistic adventure type missions that could be made with this sort of 'platform' system.

Anyhow, just want to say that I also along with you guys would like to see a large scale mp or sp mission come out for AA that really uses most of the programs resources ending in an immersive 'alive' mission with huge freedom. So I guess now I'm gonna kind of 'be quiet' lol and let this topic carry on in the way it was intended to.

Quote[/b] ]mrpibb Posted on Dec. 12 2005,22:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess now I'm gonna kind of 'be quiet' lol and let this topic carry on in the way it was intended to.

It already is...  smile_o.gif

Need some time this week to make the first list of concepts for voting.  The idea is to make proper catagories, list everybody's ideas to this point -gonna be hard to get all the variations, might generalize a bit and go into detail later-  and put it in columns for everyone to '

'.

Thinking of using a '1' for liking the idea, and a '-1' for not liking.. '0' for neutral as I need a space holder.  I'll be copy and pasting everyone's responses into a space delimited format for import into Excel for consolidation (a lot less typing for me  tounge2.gif ) let it crunch the numbers and copy and paste the results.

Quick example:

-----------------------------------------------

12/12/05 Next-GEN CTI Idea Vote

X = not responded to

1 = Like idea

0 = Don't care

-1= Do not like

Vehicles

1 Medical evac vehicles

X Propaganda vehicles

-1 Simulated weekly garbage pickup vehicles

Game reality alterations

0 Increased fuel consumption on aircraft

-1 Doubling armor and damage values on the M1

1 RL firing and lockon times for weapons

X Units shouting for their mommies when it gets thick

Economy, rations, resupply points, Etc..

1 Get $$ for property 'owned' (ArmA Monopoly, anyone?)

0 Slow addition of points over time

-1 Randomized addition of Re-Sup points over time.

AI / User roles

1 AI or user can be in support role

0 AI handle all infrastructure

0 AI are on call for something I can't think up at this hour...

You get the picture.. The 'X's will be placeholders for the 1,0, and -1's

The results will be added and the communities weight, plus or minus will be shown per item.  All ideas will be posted so anyone can get inspired by something they see.  I hope this becomes a useful tool to all the designers out there wondering what will get people on the servers... Well, you know.. Besides ArmA itself!  tounge2.gif

Any comments or ideas on the voting?

Quote[/b] ]Thanks UNN for the response, umm, sorry for getting so 'into' my own concept there

I'm glad you did get carried away....I for one, would like to hear more.

Sorry if I sounded dismissive. I should have wrote:

The idea I had for factions, I think, is different to yours? So the work a rounds you mentioned, may not work for me. The problem I saw with JIP and perpetual battlefields was scripting an entire campaign that would still tick over, even if there were no human players to witness it. So I thought rather than scripting a large scale conflict, try something more static, like an occupying army.

Players would join the game as would be, Freedom Fighters in dispirit factions dotted around the map. It would then be their job to acquire weapons and resources from the occupying forces, and recruits from the hard done by population through humanitarian acts. But the ultimate goal is to repel the invading forces and carve out a territory of your own, with or without the help of your neighbouring factions. At least this way players could come and go as they please.

Your idea to manage the AI, so as to circumvent the side restrictions in OFP. Is exactly the kind of technique I think we will need to use, to get something of this scale working.

@Scrub

Vehicles

1 Medical evac vehicles

X Propaganda vehicles

I already have the basics for generic evac routines, see CSJ's Huey pack. It's easy enough to create a module that could be attached to any addon, the mission maker wanted to use.

Game reality alterations

1 Increased fuel consumption on aircraft

0 Doubling armor and damage values on the M1

0 RL firing and lockon times for weapons

-1 Units shouting for their mommies when it gets thick

I think fuel consumption should be applied to everything. Assuming we have larger maps, then you should not be able to drive a fuel-guzzling tank. From one end, to another, without a supply convoy backing you up.

1 Slow addition of points over time

Depends on the mission type I guess. But I personally want to stick with the idea that an Army has x amount of resource in stock, and x amount over a period of time. Assuming nothing disrupts the distribution.

Quote[/b] ]mrpibb Posted on Dec. 12 2005,22:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess now I'm gonna kind of 'be quiet' lol and let this topic carry on in the way it was intended to.

It already is... smile_o.gif

Need some time this week to make the first list of concepts for voting. The idea is to make proper catagories, list everybody's ideas to this point -gonna be hard to get all the variations, might generalize a bit and go into detail later- and put it in columns for everyone to '

'.

Thinking of using a '1' for liking the idea, and a '-1' for not liking.. '0' for neutral as I need a space holder. I'll be copy and pasting everyone's responses into a space delimited format for import into Excel for consolidation (a lot less typing for me tounge2.gif ) let it crunch the numbers and copy and paste the results.

Quick example:

-----------------------------------------------

12/12/05 Next-GEN CTI Idea Vote

X = not responded to

1 = Like idea

0 = Don't care

-1= Do not like

Vehicles

1 Medical evac vehicles

X Propaganda vehicles

Game reality alterations

0 Increased fuel consumption on aircraft

-1 Doubling armor and damage values on the M1

1 RL firing and lockon times for weapons

X Units shouting for their mommies when it gets thick

0 Slow addition of points over time

AI / User roles

1 AI or user can be in support role

0 AI handle all infrastructure

0 AI are on call for something I can't think up at this hour...

You get the picture.. The 'X's will be placeholders for the 1,0, and -1's

The results will be added and the communities weight, plus or minus will be shown per item. All ideas will be posted so anyone can get inspired by something they see. I hope this becomes a useful tool to all the designers out there wondering what will get people on the servers... Well, you know.. Besides ArmA itself! tounge2.gif

Any comments or ideas on the voting?

If you want to create it as a HTML file or PHP, i can host it for ya at arma.dk

Espectro: That would be much appreciated, please msg me with what you'd be able to do. I've got too many projects at work and don't have the mental capacity left at the end of the day to be creative.  banghead.gif

Thanks!

UNN: Patience, patience, patience..   (That was just an example tounge2.gif)  You'll be able to vote your desires soon enough.  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm glad you did get carried away....I for one, would like to hear more.

Sorry if I sounded dismissive. I should have wrote:

The idea I had for factions, I think, is different to yours? So the work a rounds you mentioned, may not work for me. The problem I saw with JIP and perpetual battlefields was scripting an entire campaign that would still tick over, even if there were no human players to witness it. So I thought rather than scripting a large scale conflict, try something more static, like an occupying army.

All right then, I will ramble on a bit more then for the sake of rambling lol

Indeed actually our intents are similiar, although the layouts are different, to have conflict on the island that is realistically continuing as time goes on regardless of player interaction, although my concept requires a 'system' that periodically causes wars between particular town holding east and resistance clans. Tons of tweaking would be required as progress was made, to make every mission a complete 'who knows whats gonna happen' but plainly put: generally the idea is to have periodically one 'clan' begin fueding with another clan (east vs resistance), then the war will soon begin. Now over time as one clan attacks another clan and takes their town (remember I said the east and Res clans are scattered about the island) that clan becomes stronger through the gain of income, and hence the same would happen again and again with other clans. Pre-set templets of each possible town to town war would be made where when a periodic time had arrived to select a clan war, a town-town war templet is randomly selected (normally) which holds 2 towns that are owned by clans that are enemy to each other (east/Res/players(West)). So there is a 'system' where as time goes on, each game will have different outcomes, some clans will disappear completely being destryoed, some clans will exist barely, only holding one or two towns, some clans will become very strong and become a threat to all that oppose it. And of course these wars will absolutely include east clans attacking towns held by players, where as I mentioned earlier each player starts with their own 'clan' name (maybe a selectable name) and their own flag, where as each player grows financially through many successes they can expand their clan size across the island holding multiple town areas with their own clan forces.

Now, as I said 'tweaking' would be a big thing as the mission development progressed - assuming that most players wont be all that bent on taking over resistance towns, being that they can initially come and go as they please there, so east towns will be more of a focus - and therefore the 'tweaking' should be set so that east clans will eventually more-less dominate the map - that is if players do not make a great effort to stop them pre-emptively.

Quote[/b] ]

Players would join the game as would be, Freedom Fighters in dispirit factions dotted around the map. It would then be their job to acquire weapons and resources from the occupying forces, and recruits from the hard done by population through humanitarian acts. But the ultimate goal is to repel the invading forces and carve out a territory of your own, with or without the help of your neighbouring factions. At least this way players could come and go as they please.

Your idea to manage the AI, so as to circumvent the side restrictions in OFP. Is exactly the kind of technique I think we will need to use, to get something of this scale working.

Once again I see our concepts are similiar in design lol, but I have to say that the 'factions' thing I added in my concept is actually for more freedom, not less. The 'grudge' status (what its called in the script) that a player can gain through attacking a resistance clan does not limit freedom, but expands it - by allowing a player to be able to completely take over a freindly town owned by a Res clan, and gain financially from it, also it allows other players to be able to collect bounties on players that have caused a particular freindly clan trouble (have killed one of their clan members), so it allows a realistic set of options where also being enemy to one freindly clan does not mean being enemy to all others, so they will still have free access to town areas held by other freindly clans. Of course players causing this 'trouble' to the resistance freindly clans will increase the potential for a 'mass takeover' of the island from east clans (cause and effect), which would cause greater problems for players trying to hold town areas as east clans continue their advance.

On the flip side- any freindly clan that a player does not attack will provide many extras to be benefited from, like being able to assist that clan in a war against an east clan therefore recieving a reward (cash normally) upon taking enemy clans town, being able to collect bounties from that clan on players enemy to them, also wanted to add bounties availiable on ai units that would at times cause trouble and even bounties on ai rogue groups operating outside town areas, and lastly of course freedom of safe passage through that particular freindly town. Again balancing and tweaking would be an issue with the clan wars, to certainly make it so resistance clans may often not be able to take over an east clans town in a war without assistance, therefore making the mission for players of assisting an Res clan in a clan war a task of some difficulty.

And lastly (whew) lol, the issue of allowing each player to have their own potential armies that would more-less merely hold territory taken, provided in as much of a realistic manner as possible. Like I described earlier, in this mission concept the players could go to one of the two 'merchant' freindly towns to purchase pretty much everything that would be availiable to buy in the mission, this would include troops(troops meaning any militant forces, men, armore, etc). Having a system very similiar to what the commander has in CTI, where seperate groups could be managed would be perfect, but the problem is with this particular concept if the player had the amount of control that the CTI commander has over those groups they would end up alover the map causing some real problems with the 'island conflict system', especially including attacking freindly towns, which would just be an impossible mess with so many units trying to implement the renegade status to acheive bad faction (they all would be killing eachother LOL) - so to make things simple and still be able to allow players to fortify their taken town areas I decided that seperate groups purchased by players would have a command system that would be very basic, primarily the player would have their already held towns to select from as locations to send the groups for defense, where maybe some additional commands could be added for various types of town area defense (patrol town, or select a position within a town area radius to hold at). Any commands allowing such groups to attack east towns would have a major impact on the whole scope of things, and therefore it would seem likely that this option would not be allowed because it could allow one particular players 'clan' to ransack the island to quickly through growth by ai groups taking town after town, therefore defeating the continuem of the 'island conflict' and also causing a 'rat race' for players to focus on getting ai groups to over take towns, and thus removing the 'adventure' feel, and leaving the freedom somewhat out because those players that choose a different path (like mercenaries, or just exploring, freedom basically) rather than conquest of the island would be quickly left behind and would feel dwarfed by not participating in the 'rat race' to get towns. Sorry to be so long that last description, but indeed most of these thoughts are what led me to only allow purchaseable seperate combat groups for territory (town areas) defense, and it simplifies the mission too, so not everybody has to be a tactical wiz to have a great time throught the mission. And so what would make up for this 'loss' in tactical use of units normally seen with CTI, I'll tell ya, the whole mission would make up for it, rather than being a less real feeling tactical/overhead mission it would become a realistic adventure with all kinds of freedoms in an enviornment that reacts to the players decisions, and where each player can accumulate assetts in their own personal items from weapons to vehicles and they can accumulate assetts through taking territory where they can hire troops to defend their lands in a simple manner to be able to continue being immersed in the adventure without having to focus on the 'tactical/overhead' view, and get down to living and surviving in the mission. And once again as I stated earlier in this particular concept there would be one or two max ai availiable within each players team, which of course would allow effective use of combat vehicles and also allow a little more give and freedom, rather than allowing no ai under direct control at all. I did earlier mention in a previous post in this topic probable solutions to problems with those ai units in scenarios where the player side is switched to renegade status:

Quote[/b] ] As far as the few ai units allowed for the players, which would be just enough for tank usage, once again I am trying to recall but if I remember correctly the best seeming answer for removing the chance of ai units killing players when they go renegade status in a freindly town is to make the units not fire, which could be easily explained, like"because they are freinds to the resistance they will not participate in attacks on their towns" or something like that.

And I hadnt really delved into that much more, so other options might have arose.

And thats pretty much it (I guess lol) Its just input I guess, take it for what its worth, thanks for the readins.

Christian

man its late lol

Quote[/b] ]Indeed actually our intents are similiar, although the layouts are different, to have conflict on the island that is realistically continuing as time goes on regardless of player interaction, although my concept requires a 'system' that periodically causes wars between particular town holding east and resistance clans.

Yes, they are similar ideas. By scripting when and where the battles occur, means you can manage the issue of sides.

Myself I prefer the idea of greater freedom, to the point of making permanent bases a liability. Well I mean, creating a base for your faction would have benefits, like medical facilities, stockpiles and fortifications e.t.c Only, any significant base would attract lots of attention. Especially if you’re active in that area. So I was looking for a more Nomadic feel, where your trying to stay one step ahead of the occupying forces and other factions. There is no reason why I could not have all the factions on the same side, separated by the bulk of the map. It's just human players will always make better opponents than AI, so I did not want it to be just a COOP.

There is nothing stopping individual players to enter as hired guns e.t.c in either version. It sounds like it's a case of either system-generated conflicts over towns, compared to player instigated combat. Although I suspect the auto-generated conflicts would be much easier to script. So have a better chance of ending up as a finished mission.

Perhaps JIP will lets us shift players from one side to another (Edit: I just realized you probably can already using the join command?), then perhaps I could use the same idea for managing sides and the number of players involved in any one skirmish. If not I can wait for game 2.

"Randomized addition of Re-Sup points over time"

Is this sort of like additional guys (Player Respawn Lives) given over time?

If so I think it would add more value to a soldiers life. Money buys tanks vehicles etc, and lives buy soldiers. Sort of like a dual economy.

LOL! That was just a jumbled bunch of thoughts for an extra example, but you may have something there. It would definitely add a bit of the unknown to a game. What's the timing, and what amount will you get? Hard to plan on and could be a blessing or a curse of you're hard pressed and getting a lot of casualties. Keep going Smoot! biggrin_o.gif

*Damn supply guy gave us 100 rolls of T.P. not 100 RNDS of AT-4!* tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Keep going Smoot!

Well, ok, you asked for it.  Here are the list of recent Ideas some of the guys im working with on a new CTI version for ArmA came up with.

A CTI that takes advantage of 60+ players, with limited AI roles.

Each team has predefind starting roles broke down in to squads.

(Example)

Squads            Slots/sqaud

1 Commander     1 (+additional AI)

1 Sniper            2

2 Assault           8

1 Air                 4

1 Armour           5

1 Black ops        5

1 Support          3

------------------------------------

Economy broke in to 2 areas.

Money  (gained every 10 minutes) For buying tanks, vehicles ect.  

Recruitment (gained every 15 minutes) Lives given to a team.  Each squad has a different % of lives gained.  This puts more value on not getting killed and working as a team.

(example)

Air might get 4 lives every 15 minutes

Assault might get 10 lives every 15 minutes

Commander might get 1 life every 15 minutes

------------------------------------------

Tactical Map

Some towns bases etc give bonuses to the side that owns that territory.  Bonuses range from money, lives, fuel, technology, or faster transportation due to roads leading more area's.

(examples)

Money, Town A gives an increase of $2000 over the base ammount every 10 minutes.

Life, Town B gives a bonus of an additional 2 players per squad for each 15 minutes.

Fuel, Ability to spawn Fuel repair, and ammo trucks, also if town has a fuel station equipment can fuel up at taht location.

Technology, Town C gains access to spawning more advanced tanks, chopper, etc.

Some towns may have any combination of the above.

----------------------------------------

The ability to surrender.  All weapons and ammo are droped and the combatant is taken into custody.  Each team has a POW camp that where POW's are taken (AI guarded).  Since lives maybe a rare comodity for your squad or team you may want to take this option rather then get shot and die.  

(Example)

Downed West Pilot surrenders and is taken to the East POW camp.  

A. West commnader can either pay east for his return (life is added back to his squads life pool).

B. West commander sends in black ops to try and get him out.

c. player can try and sneak out.

D. player can just run out and get killed by AI

-------------------------------------------------

Problems with this game type

1. Fun factor is put heavily on the commander and squad leaders.  The commander has to relay what he wants done and give missions to other squads.  Squad leaders need to come up with a plan of attack and keep squad members involved.

2. If lives run out for a squad how fun would it be to have to sit and wait the remander of time for new lives to accumulate.

(maybe a squad can buy lives as well with the money it has but buying a life wouldnt be cheap?)

3. A save feature would be nice for multiplayer that can save what towns belong to who, and how many lives and money each side has.  That way if it is a war that takes days to win you gaming community can save where everything is at and come back to it at a later time.

These are just some ideas, and who even knows if this will be possible with ArmA.  Kick those around for a while.

Quote[/b] ]Myself I prefer the idea of greater freedom, to the point of making permanent bases a liability. Well I mean, creating a base for your faction would have benefits, like medical facilities, stockpiles and fortifications e.t.c Only, any significant base would attract lots of attention. Especially if you’re active in that area. So I was looking for a more Nomadic feel, where your trying to stay one step ahead of the occupying forces and other factions. There is no reason why I could not have all the factions on the same side, separated by the bulk of the map. It's just human players will always make better opponents than AI, so I did not want it to be just a COOP.

I agree that main bases do indeed draw alot of attention, and if the players could actually benefit from taking over a main base, freindly or not, if it could be done players would eventually try, and try, unless the defenses were great enough for a freindly base where the answer was simply no, it prolly cant be done, and worst off if I attack the base in attempt to take it I will lose freindly status with that base, where I can no longer freely come in and enjoy whatever is made availiable at the base, would it be worth getting cut off for attempting an attack that would likely fail anyhow?

In the concept each town held by a clan would be more less a mini-base, some towns having more fortifications than others, some with parimeter defenses, even barbed wire sourounding the town bunkers, etc, once again the larger towns would prolly have the more significant defensive structures. And yea, in this concept the two 'merchant' towns (which would be freindly) would be like the two 'main bases' of thje island, and indeed would draw alot of attention, which was why in my notes for the mission I put down to make sure that the two merchant towns were almot impossible to take, having extreme defenses.

Oh, lastly I wanted to add something that I didnt earlier, that in this concept AI clans would gain financially from any towns they held (alike CTI), and therefore would be able to purchase more and more combat forces as their held towns increased, only mentioning this to show how a particular AI clan could become stronger without thinning itself out through taking more territory (towns). As far as how the AI clans would purchase their combat forces, honestly I hadnt gotten that far, cant have east clan units being bought in Res merchant towns, it would have been figured out once the mission progress had (I say HAD as in it will not be, but HAD the mission work continued) gotten to where that needed to be implemented.

I agree too with the coop thing, I didnt want it either, the concept was to merely start players as freindly to each other, but not dedicated to each other, they can do what they want, stay as freindly, or go rogue, whatever, them being on the same side is really just the technical description of their status in the game program. Neat thing about allowing all players to start as freindly is that also particular players (like 2 that know each other) can join forces, although the mission system limits this because each player accumulates their own income based on their own towns, which would keep a tight rein on too much 'coop' style play.

Whatever you guys come up with, I do like alot of the ideas I've read here, the convoys providing backup would be neat, although you would have to find a realistic starting location for them, you might not want them just 'spawning' from the middle of nowhere (even if they are never seen being spawned), its always nice to at least have a base location of something that they would come from where even (worst case scenario) if they were spawned at least if they were spawned in a base area it would be more believable to the players, another words even with spawning (as I'm sure you know) its good to have as much of a realistic starting location as possible, just like in CTI where even though all the Res units are spwned in towns, you'd never know it, and if you did know it at least you knew their spawn locations are also their true realistic starting locations, their homes.

Thats pretty much it for me here, I cant come up with much more to say, and I'm afraid to try. So thanks for letting folks like myself add some input here, take what you want from it(if anything), I'm moving on here..

Have a good evening, you guys take it easy out there

Quote[/b] ]If so I think it would add more value to a soldiers life.  Money buys tanks vehicles etc, and lives buy soldiers.  Sort of like a dual economy.

Good point. Your not going to get many new recruits. If you can't look after the ones you already have smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]1. Fun factor is put heavily on the commander and squad leaders.  The commander has to relay what he wants done and give missions to other squads.  Squad leaders need to come up with a plan of attack and keep squad members involved.

That’s only a problem on a public server, if you cant find someone who is willing to take on the role of Commander.

Quote[/b] ]3. A save feature would be nice for multiplayer that can save what towns belong to who, and how many lives and money each side has.  That way if it is a war that takes days to win you gaming community can save where everything is at and come back to it at a later time.

Yeah, we can only wait and see what Armed Assault has to offer.

Quote[/b] ]Downed West Pilot surrenders and is taken to the East POW camp.

That would make a good sub mission, as either a breakout or rescue. At least then you would not have to rely on someone coming to pick you up. And could probably be run on the client, unless a player was coming to rescue you. So less strain on the server.

Awesome!!! Yet more really cool ideas. I especially like the ones about player lives and the POW camp. That would be really realistic and really cool to have in game.

Nice work guys, keep it up!!! yay.gif

-----VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE-----

ALRIGHTY THEN!   biggrin_o.gif

This here post signals the limit of the first vote.  All suggestions after will be put into the next one.

How to vote:

1- Quote my next post (the one with all the vote topics) .

2- Replace the X's with '1' of you want the idea, '-1' if you don't, and '0' if you don't care either way.

**Important** Please don't modify anything else but the X's, and don't add any other text as it'll pikeup the compilation!  crazy_o.gif

3-Post your response.  When I have time, and my brain stops oozing out my ears, I'll compile and post the results.  Probably on Espectro's ArmA.dk as well (Thank you)

Feel free to change your mind and edit your vote, as I'll probably be over a week before I get to it tounge2.gif

Edit: The accepted ideas will be able to go into a more detailed vote next time. This is a general vote to thin the field a bit.

Have fun!

-----VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE----------VOTE-----

12-15-05

Vote for ARMA: Next-Gen CTI Ideas

Replace the 'X' with your vote:

1= Like Idea

-1= Do Not Like

0= Don't Care

--------General Gameplay-----------------------------------------------------

X :Massive Warfare, Large coordinated battles

X :Unscripted, non-linear play.

X :Resistance in towns.

X :Improved command and movement (A La 'CE2' ).

X :Indirect fire support (Artillery).

X :Improved AI Cooperation.

X :Punish defensive army / reward aggressive army (thru wealth, points, time, Etc.).

X :Needing to have several units in zone to call it 'secured' and gain benefit from it.

X :Being able to reinforce a newly secured area (with AI and fortifications).

X :Needing to have at least one supply convoy enter a held town to own it, and have benefits.

X :Strategic interface for Commander (improved SI for commander?)

X :Having to go thru the BUILDING of mission specific areas and structures (AI spending time digging and building)

X :Being able to convert native resistance to your cause (they become your AI)

X :Voting on playing modes (like: 'full/partial/no logistics', or 'support personnel on/off', Etc.)

X :No 'Command Vehicle', But players with authority to order things built.

X :Functional Native Assets,(FN-A) I.E. Radar tower (Monitor airspace), communications(Troop movements/Satalite views)

X :Each zone has a specific bonus (or several). I.E. one might boost troops, one might be a factory for more vehicles.

X :Mobile spawn points (moved by commander/medic etc.).

X :Linear capture of towns / zones.

X :Balanced gameplay. (weapons/vehicles equal power, both sides)

X :Free gameplay (read: not balancing).

X :Map updates every so often showing the known frontlines.

X :Two (at least) pre-existing industrial countries with their own infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities going to war (fixed starting point CTI?)

X :Game has many ragged factions vying for control of island.

X :Continuous gameplay (utilizing JIP).

X :Ability to save game and continue later.

X :Native (Insert name here) units attack East troops.

X :Different Native (insert name here) units attack West troops.

X :Dynamic mission system (suggests missions? Not sure what this could be).

X :Native AI can build up forces once attacked.

--------Units / Unit Alterations---------------------------------------------

X :Propaganda vehicles (or delivery) to sway neutral territories.

X :Combat Engineers (a purchased resource) for building bridges and other structures.

X :Accelerated fuel usage in some/all vehicles.

X :Predefined roles (I.E. limited slots for type of duties).

X :Vehicle ROF set as close as possible to RL levels. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

X :Vehicle target acquisition times set as close as possible to RL. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

--------Player / AI Related -------------------------------------------------

X :Players able to be in support role.

X :AI able to be in support role.

X :ONLY AI does support roles

X :Players good performance brings notoriety and a bounty on their heads.

X :Ability to surrender and be a POW (need an incentive to not just kill?).

X :Better reporting ability for troop movements (for a scout/AI)

X :Commander can allocate (limited?) priority points to areas that will cause free AI units under command to move in and reinforce.

--------Economics / Management-----------------------------------------------

X :Buying specific Equipment and Troops. (either with money or points)

X :'Money' in general.

X :'Resource' points in general.

X :'Getting what you get' from supply.

X :Resource Points slowly add over time.

X :Resource points accumulate at random intervals.

X :Resource points accumulate with random amounts.

X :Limited pool for weapons/equipment.

X :Limited pool for troops.

X :Rewarding the difference between 'beach head'(nothing really secured) and established territories with airports/harbors.

X :Limited supply vehicles to bring material into the game zone (if all destroyed, need to scavenge - no more transports)

X :Having a Second Commander to assist in organization.

X :Ability to authorize many different players use of the control interface (assign players to supply, control a region, etc.)

--------Infrastructure / Support / Resupply Details--------------------------

X :Commander designates supply drops (when & or location).

X :Commander designates supply routes (distribution).

X :Using resources outside your immediate command (I.E. calling unscheduled C-130 supply drops) cost - using owned vehicles for Dist. doesn't.

X :Use realistic quantities for supply drops (I.E. Not having four T-90's delivered in an AN-72).

X :Using Transport ships at controlled harbors.

X :Ammo dumps / Supply stations that hold delivered equipment-and are the start and destination for a supply convoys distribution.

X :Refueling personnel (AI and/or PLayer).

X :Repair personnel (AI and/or Player.. Crewchief?) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

X :Medical personnel (AI and/or Player) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

X :Medical Evac (Helo or ambulance).

X :MASH Units (with personnel).

X :Detailed Logistics in general.

12-15-05

Vote for ARMA: Next-Gen CTI Ideas

Replace the 'X' with your vote:

1= Like Idea

-1= Do Not Like

0= Don't Care

1 :Massive Warfare, Large coordinated battles

1 :Unscripted, non-linear play.

0 :Resistance in towns.

1 :Improved command and movement (A La 'CE2' ).

1 :Indirect fire support (Artillery).

1 :Improved AI Cooperation.

0 :Punish defensive army / reward aggressive army (thru wealth, points, time, Etc.).

0 :Needing to have several units in zone to call it 'secured' and gain benefit from it.

1 :Being able to reinforce a newly secured area (with AI and fortifications).

1 :Needing to have at least one supply convoy enter a held town to own it, and have benefits.

1 :Strategic interface for Commander (improved SI for commander?)

0 :Having to go thru the BUILDING of mission specific areas and structures (AI spending time digging and building)

1 :Being able to convert native resistance to your cause (they become your AI)

0 :Voting on playing modes (like: 'full/partial/no logistics', or 'support personnel on/off', Etc.)

1 :No 'Command Vehicle', But players with authority to order things built.

1 :Functional Native Assets,(FN-A) I.E. Radar tower (Monitor airspace), communications(Troop movements/Satalite views)

1 :Each zone has a specific bonus (or several). I.E. one might boost troops, one might be a factory for more vehicles.

1 :Mobile spawn points (moved by commander/medic etc.).

0 :Linear capture of towns / zones.

0 :Balanced gameplay. (weapons/vehicles equal power, both sides)

0 :Free gameplay (read: not balancing).

0 :Map updates every so often showing the known frontlines.

1 :Two (at least) pre-existing industrial countries with their own infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities going to war (fixed starting point CTI?)

1 :Game has many ragged factions vying for control of island.

1 :Continuous gameplay (utilizing JIP).

1 :Ability to save game and continue later.

0 :Native (Insert name here) units attack East troops.

0 :Different Native (insert name here) units attack West troops.

1 :Dynamic mission system (suggests missions? Not sure what this could be).

0 :Native AI can build up forces once attacked.

0 :Propaganda vehicles (or delivery) to sway neutral territories.

0 :Combat Engineers (a purchased resource) for building bridges and other structures.

1 :Accelerated fuel usage in some/all vehicles.

0 :Predefined roles (I.E. limited slots for type of duties).

0 :Vehicle ROF set as close as possible to RL levels. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

0 :Vehicle target acquisition times set as close as possible to RL. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

1 :Players able to be in support role.

1 :AI able to be in support role.

0 :ONLY AI does support roles

0 :Players good performance brings notoriety and a bounty on their heads.

1 :Ability to surrender and be a POW (need an incentive to not just kill?).

1 :Better reporting ability for troop movements (for a scout/AI)

1 :Commander can allocate (limited?) priority points to areas that will cause free AI units under command to move in and reinforce.

1 :Buying specific Equipment and Troops. (either with money or points)

0 :'Money' in general.

1 :'Resource' points in general.

1 :'Getting what you get' from supply.

1 :Resource Points slowly add over time.

0 :Resource points accumulate at random intervals.

0 :Resource points accumulate with random amounts.

1 :Limited pool for weapons/equipment.

1 :Limited pool for troops.

1 :Rewarding the difference between 'beach head'(nothing really secured) and established territories with airports/harbors.

1 :Limited supply vehicles to bring material into the game zone (if all destroyed, need to scavenge - no more transports)

1 :Having a Second Commander to assist in organization.

0 :Ability to authorize many different players use of the control interface (assign players to supply, control a region, etc.)

0 :Commander designates supply drops (when & or location).

0 :Commander designates supply routes (distribution).

1 :Using resources outside your immediate command (I.E. calling unscheduled C-130 supply drops) cost - using owned vehicles for Dist. doesn't.

1 :Use realistic quantities for supply drops (I.E. Not having four T-90's delivered in an AN-72).

1 :Using Transport ships at controlled harbors.

1 :Ammo dumps / Supply stations that hold delivered equipment-and are the start and destination for a supply convoys distribution.

1 :Refueling personnel (AI and/or PLayer).

1 :Repair personnel (AI and/or Player.. Crewchief?) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

1 :Medical personnel (AI and/or Player) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

1 :Medical Evac (Helo or ambulance).

1 :MASH Units (with personnel).

1 :Detailed Logistics in general.

0 :Unscripted, non-linear play.

1 :Resistance in towns.

0 :Indirect fire support (Artillery).

1 :Punish defensive army / reward aggressive army (thru wealth, points, time, Etc.).

0 :Needing to have several units in zone to call it 'secured' and gain benefit from it.

-1 :Needing to have at least one supply convoy enter a held town to own it, and have benefits.

-1 :Having to go thru the BUILDING of mission specific areas and structures (AI spending time digging and building)

-1 :Being able to convert native resistance to your cause (they become your AI)

1 :Voting on playing modes (like: 'full/partial/no logistics', or 'support personnel on/off', Etc.)

0 :No 'Command Vehicle', But players with authority to order things built.

1 :Functional Native Assets,(FN-A) I.E. Radar tower (Monitor airspace), communications(Troop movements/Satalite views)

1 :Each zone has a specific bonus (or several). I.E. one might boost troops, one might be a factory for more vehicles.

1 :Linear capture of towns / zones.

1 :Balanced gameplay. (weapons/vehicles equal power, both sides)

-1 :Free gameplay (read: not balancing).

1 :Map updates every so often showing the known frontlines.

-1 :Two (at least) pre-existing industrial countries with their own infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities going to war (fixed starting point CTI?)

-1 :Game has many ragged factions vying for control of island.

-1 :Ability to save game and continue later.

1 :Native (Insert name here) units attack East troops.

1 :Different Native (insert name here) units attack West troops.

-1 :Dynamic mission system (suggests missions? Not sure what this could be).

1 :Native AI can build up forces once attacked.

-1 :Propaganda vehicles (or delivery) to sway neutral territories.

1 :Combat Engineers (a purchased resource) for building bridges and other structures.

1 :Predefined roles (I.E. limited slots for type of duties).

-1 :Vehicle ROF set as close as possible to RL levels. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

1 :Vehicle target acquisition times set as close as possible to RL. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

-1 :Players able to be in support role.

1 :ONLY AI does support roles

1 :Players good performance brings notoriety and a bounty on their heads.

1 :Commander can allocate (limited?) priority points to areas that will cause free AI units under command to move in and reinforce.

1 :'Money' in general.

-1 :'Getting what you get' from supply.

1 :Resource points accumulate at random intervals.

1 :Resource points accumulate with random amounts.

-1 :Limited pool for weapons/equipment.

-1 :Limited pool for troops.

0 :Rewarding the difference between 'beach head'(nothing really secured) and established territories with airports/harbors.

-1 :Limited supply vehicles to bring material into the game zone (if all destroyed, need to scavenge - no more transports)

1 :Ability to authorize many different players use of the control interface (assign players to supply, control a region, etc.)

0 :Commander designates supply drops (when & or location).

-1 :Commander designates supply routes (distribution).

1 :Using resources outside your immediate command (I.E. calling unscheduled C-130 supply drops) cost - using owned vehicles for Dist. doesn't.

1 :Use realistic quantities for supply drops (I.E. Not having four T-90's delivered in an AN-72).

1 :Ammo dumps / Supply stations that hold delivered equipment-and are the start and destination for a supply convoys distribution.

-1 :Refueling personnel (AI and/or PLayer).

-1 :Repair personnel (AI and/or Player.. Crewchief?) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

-1 :MASH Units (with personnel).

if we are gonna get artellery, i think that it should be something expensive that you have to research. There should also be an "arty locater research" that costs slightly less which can pinpoint any arty shots. So that the commander will get "arty shot from DB31 have been fired".

1 :Unscripted, non-linear play.

1 :Resistance in towns.

-1 :Punish defensive army / reward aggressive army (thru wealth, points, time, Etc.).

-1 :Needing to have at least one supply convoy enter a held town to own it, and have benefits.

1 :Having to go thru the BUILDING of mission specific areas and structures (AI spending time digging and building)

1 :Being able to convert native resistance to your cause (they become your AI)

-1 :Voting on playing modes (like: 'full/partial/no logistics', or 'support personnel on/off', Etc.)

-1 :No 'Command Vehicle', But players with authority to order things built.

-1 :Linear capture of towns / zones.

-1 :Balanced gameplay. (weapons/vehicles equal power, both sides)

1 :Free gameplay (read: not balancing).

0 :Two (at least) pre-existing industrial countries with their own infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities going to war (fixed starting point CTI?)

1 :Game has many ragged factions vying for control of island.

1 :Native (Insert name here) units attack East troops.

1 :Different Native (insert name here) units attack West troops.

1 :Native AI can build up forces once attacked.

1 :Propaganda vehicles (or delivery) to sway neutral territories.

1 :Combat Engineers (a purchased resource) for building bridges and other structures.

0 :Accelerated fuel usage in some/all vehicles.

-1 :Predefined roles (I.E. limited slots for type of duties).

1 :Vehicle ROF set as close as possible to RL levels. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

1 :Vehicle target acquisition times set as close as possible to RL. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

-1 :ONLY AI does support roles

0 :'Resource' points in general.

1 :'Getting what you get' from supply.

-1 :Limited pool for weapons/equipment.

-1 :Limited pool for troops.

1 :Rewarding the difference between 'beach head'(nothing really secured) and established territories with airports/harbors.

-1 :Limited supply vehicles to bring material into the game zone (if all destroyed, need to scavenge - no more transports)

1 :Ability to authorize many different players use of the control interface (assign players to supply, control a region, etc.)

1 :Commander designates supply drops (when & or location).

0 :Ammo dumps / Supply stations that hold delivered equipment-and are the start and destination for a supply convoys distribution.

1 :Repair personnel (AI and/or Player.. Crewchief?) can be killed to hinder efficiency.

1 :MASH Units (with personnel).

Okay, here is mine...

It seems the idea of a more persistent fighting ground for ArmA has allready been thought out by BIS :

from here

Quote[/b] ]ArmA: imposing MP battles durative several days

Which may mean some kind of "persistent & global battlefield for MP"

Wouldn't it be great if we only had to 'tweek' it a bit? On the order of swapping units or scripting a bit 'o AI? biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It seems the idea of a more persistent fighting ground for ArmA has allready been thought out by BIS :

from here

Yeah, although initialy it was talked about for game 2. But the inclusion of JIP and the new super efficent code was enough to convince me, to start thinking about it sooner rather than later. I cant get the links to work in that article, but that certainly looks like large mission are now, more than wishfull thinking.

MP battles for several days? I wonder if that is in game time, with accelerated day/night cycles, or in RL? huh.gif

0 :Unscripted, non-linear play.

0 :Resistance in towns.

0 :Punish defensive army / reward aggressive army (thru wealth, points, time, Etc.).

0 :Needing to have at least one supply convoy enter a held town to own it, and have benefits.

-1 :Having to go thru the BUILDING of mission specific areas and structures (AI spending time digging and building)

0 :Being able to convert native resistance to your cause (they become your AI)

1 :Voting on playing modes (like: 'full/partial/no logistics', or 'support personnel on/off', Etc.)

1 :No 'Command Vehicle', But players with authority to order things built.

0 :Linear capture of towns / zones.

1 :Balanced gameplay. (weapons/vehicles equal power, both sides)

1 :Free gameplay (read: not balancing).

0 :Two (at least) pre-existing industrial countries with their own infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities going to war (fixed starting point CTI?)

0 :Game has many ragged factions vying for control of island.

0 :Native (Insert name here) units attack East troops.

0 :Different Native (insert name here) units attack West troops.

0 :Native AI can build up forces once attacked.

-1 :Propaganda vehicles (or delivery) to sway neutral territories.

1 :Predefined roles (I.E. limited slots for type of duties).

-1 :Vehicle ROF set as close as possible to RL levels. (limits blind tab-fire-tab situations)

-1 :ONLY AI does support roles

0 :Commander can allocate (limited?) priority points to areas that will cause free AI units under command to move in and reinforce.

0 :'Getting what you get' from supply.

0 :Limited pool for weapons/equipment.

0 :Limited pool for troops.

0 :Limited supply vehicles to bring material into the game zone (if all destroyed, need to scavenge - no more transports)

0 :Having a Second Commander to assist in organization.

0 :Ability to authorize many different players use of the control interface (assign players to supply, control a region, etc.)

1 :Commander designates supply drops (when & or location).

0 :Using resources outside your immediate command (I.E. calling unscheduled C-130 supply drops) cost - using owned vehicles for Dist. doesn't.

0 :Using Transport ships at controlled harbors.

0 :Ammo dumps / Supply stations that hold delivered equipment-and are the start and destination for a supply convoys distribution.

0 :Medical Evac (Helo or ambulance).

0 :MASH Units (with personnel).