Sign in to follow this  
Scrub

Next-Gen CTI

If we make CTI to uber realisitc everyone will get bored playing it, action is good in a way its controlled. Too much remakes of CTI with everyones own little opinion will only ruin the community.

The CTI today is good, alot of features made for it. Only way to make realisitc CTI is to remove the PvP and go Coop style on them. Any other way will

Quote[/b] ]only ruin the community.

I got many ideas for CTI but i guess its easier to just by Civ4 or AoE. Tetris is good too nener.gif

Cam51, regarding RWS, the only addons in it are the naval vehicles from Korax and MrZig's CNC mod.  ATM they're all combined into the CNC.pbo which is pretty large, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to extract them from it.

The cargo ship (used to transport up to 50 vehicles from one island to another), the battleship, AA ship, Assault ship and Fast Attack boat are the only ones, if I remember correctly.

All other vehicles are default versions.

The only problem with RWS is it takes so much teamwork that people don't like to play it as often, but I think it's fun when people actually act as a team.

Also, I wouldn't term this as a version if CTI, rather it's a much stricter version of RTS-3.  smile_o.gif

Me and Karrillion have designed a larger scale CTI style mission called RWS (real war simulator). It currently uses the AEC island (all 3 stock islands in 1).

Towns must be taken in order, so to prevent the rambos from flying across the map and taking 3/4 of the island by themselves.

Resources are limited. Each side has a inventory list, when a column is empty, that unit is depleted.

Towns are taken by supply trucks, which must be escourted into the towns and protected while a fictional AI squad breeches and clears the towns HQ.

Capturing certain towns gives you access to certain units.

Units are not "BOUGHT" they are "DEPLOYED". No need in gathering money, b.c there is none.

Secondary objective are on each island (ie: Radio Tower, and Radar Station). Radio tower gives you the ability to scramble aircraft at the islands airfield, and enables the spy satalite. Radar lets you see all incoming aircraft surrounding your sides island.

Roles are assigned. Choose the role of infantry and gain access to all infantry soldiers and equipment. Choose Tanker and rule the land.

The Commander assigns each person a role, and gives them deployment power or not. (ie: Joe1212 keeps deploying tanks, but your inventory is running low. Just click, and now he cant deploy a thing unless you want him too).

Forced accelerated time.

A large list of ships to choose from, for kick ass navy battles.

It is 99% complete, I am just trying to see if we can drop the the number of addons down. Or create 1 .pbo with all addons in it and release it together.

I love it!

Hurry m8s!

Actually it's done and working and has been for a while. There are some other features that we were thinking of adding, but the core of the gameplay is all there and mostly bug free.

I guess the only thing would be to make it so someone wouldn't have to dload the entire CNC pack for the naval units.

Hey KaRRiLLioN!  Good to hear from you, it's been a while since I played your RTS, this sounds alot like what all the hardcore simmers wanted.  biggrin_o.gif  Thanks!

@ Cain: The reason why I started this thread was for the 'realism' portion of the community to express what they wanted for the new engine, define it so it may be made reasonable (trying to make one or two versions instead of many),and see if somebody with skills would take up the torch.  If we define it *cough* RWS *cough* then people will know if they like it, and use it or not.  Believe it or not, the community IS divided - at least into those who like the current type of RTS, and those who don't.  smile_o.gif

In my personal opinion, while realism is obviously a big part of the game, it shouldn't hinder gameplay. Driving a fuel truck back and forth across an island isn't really what I'm looking for in the game, but I can understand that is what some want, and the beauty of OFP is that we aren't limited to 1 type of gameplay, and everyone can make their own missions.

I've been playing CTI for ages, pretty much since it first came out, and while it has changed, the basic foundation has been pretty much the same. I'm sure there will be new and different CTI's coming out, but you'll probably see me playing the "current style" CTI's, as I've gotten comfortable with the gameplay, and I love it notworthy.gif .

But, with the ability to handle (we'll see) lots of players on a MP Server, I think it would be cool to add multiple commander rolls. Since the islands sound so big, it could be broken down into Theatre Command. With multiple bases in different sectors, you could choose which sector you want to fight in, and push forward to others. Multiple Commanders + Multiple Bases + Sector Warfare + 60 players = tons of action biggrin_o.gif

Capture The Island wink_o.gif

Some good some bad in it, imho. Money concept shouldn't be in a OFP mission, with current no-JiP and games lasting for hours, servers end up blocked by a few for too long, but they love it wink_o.gif

Not sure I'd base a "persistant" type of mission on CTI gameplay, tbh

I think it would be nice if the AI actually did infrastructure and called if they see the enemy or finish.  Convoys, resupply, setting up firebases, etc.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of engineering crews working for ya?  biggrin_o.gif

Edit: didn't quite say what I was thinking...  crazy_o.gif

V Yea, what Whisper says below... V

Exactly what I was thinking. 1 of the commander should also be in charge of supplies, but AI would handle the actual work, calling for help in case of problem (attacked, etc...) and 1 or more player could handle it if they want to be sure of convoy security

Do you have to have many human-players with the current CTI missions? Or could you do 1-on-1 and let the AI do the rest of the work(kinda like c&c only that you also run around...)?

How about using some convoy system inland? If you conquer a town, convoys regularly depart from your base to the town. If the convoys come through regularly, you can spawn in the towns. Or you and your squad could spawn into some convoy on the way to the town. Commanders could research "convoy guarding", so that your convoy-trucks are guarded by some BMPs and AI-Inf.

edit: You could also buy/detach AI-forces for guarding specific convoy routes.

Then we would be able to ambush some enemy convoy, while your team assaults an important enemy town or stronghold.

Comments?

That is totally your own choice (in crCTI alteast)

You can have verry good games versus a total AI team. Wich I most times lose  crazy_o.gif

You can even watch a AI vs AI game! (quite amusing when youre tired)

Also Commander vs Commander games are popular. YOu let the AI do the town taking, and go build a base yourself.

edit: typo

Problems with actual mfcti:

- 3 min long games because of mhq hunt.. (probably solved with the size of the islands in arma biggrin_o.gif ).

- Ammo bugs (this isn't a big problem since usually there is a player using ammo bug fix option).

- Mhq tk, with a good script this can be solved, sometimes a player tk the mhq and then disconnect, a script can delete the destroyed mhq and set up a new one (with a vote menu for the enemy team commander for example).

- Sometimes a player start building structures from a repair truck in the places for spawn the vehicles from the buildings, commander must be allowed to undo that...

Suggestions:

- What about a "barracks truck", so u can move the truck near a town and spawn infantry units near. With a limit, for example 20/30 units for each player. Or a option from the repair truck, to build a tent able to spawn infantry with a limit too..

A important thing:

Quote[/b] ]

Air Delivery could be made with stuff varying from a blackhawk, Chinook, C130. For the east this could be a MI8 , MI26 , or Antonov 124 (hey! russians have more experience with air cargo!wink_o.gif

About this, since the collision system is fixed, do you think now we can have true transport vehicles?, i mean, load vehicles without using scripts...(open gate, load vehicle/s, close gate, fly/sail)

That would be awesome...

i will update with more ideas

you should definately check out KICTI

it has many cool improvements to the whole cti style, but sadly there is no singleplayer coop

kicti has:

very cool looking base templates with regular incoming choppers that bring the resources (man) and (equipment)

base feels actually like a "living" military installment

insane amount of maximum troops available

one player doesnt control 12 single ai soldiers, instead he controls 12 ai squad commanders, which each can have a complete 12 man squad with them. the player can select the "meta" formation of the 12 squads, set their combat behaviour and send them as a whole or individually to different tasks, all with the klick of a single button.

so that kicti has many things improved that you should see before thinking about further improvement of this gametype.

link to kicti:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse....d=23097

What I would like to see with CTI based games is more realism.  I know myself and a few friends are going to make a CTI version that has these sort of options when ArmA comes out.

Simple Economy - based off of how many towns you have captured.

Chain of Command - Commander can build spawn points (for troops, armor, or vehicles) at any captured town for a cost.  Squad leaders direct squad actions and can build base defenses.

Tactical Warfare - Each town may have different tactical advatages.  One town may have a military base that already can spawn tanks, or a barricks that can spawn troops.  If the town has a bus station it can be used to "warp" or transport players to another city that has a bus stop and is under your sides controll.  Some towns have fuel stations and spawn fuel trucks.  Some towns maybe worth more money then other towns, etc.

Armored units have accelerated fuel usage, a tank can only make it 1/4 the way accross the map before running out of fuel, making fuel trucks and fuel locatoins key.

Predefind roles - (limited number of each type so everyone cant be a sniper or air etc) When you join a game you select the type of role you want.  Air, Armor, Assault, Spec ops, sniper, or support.

Air can buy aircraft, choppers, etc.

Armor can buy tanks

Infantry can buy jeeps, trucks or ACP's

Spec ops can buy jeeps or motorcycles

Sniper can buy jeeps

Teamwork - Medics can revive or heal teammates, can also build mobile spawn points that can be placed anywhere on the map, but can only have one active spawn location per medic.  Support players can spawn fuel, ammo, repair trucks at any captured fuel station, can also repair buildings.  Spec ops can destroy fuel stations, bus stops, etc.

I should also add that we are making more of a town by town capture instead of a free for all. That way there is a front line where all the fighting is.

Hence town A is captured now all town b's can be captured but town C cannot be captured. and so on.

Anyway, that is just some of the idea we have floating around right now, and if we actually do it is still up in the air depending on how much time we have to work on this.  I see some people not wanting all the realism but I think if we make it where you select your role at the begining and depending on how JIP is going to work where you can select any role you want as long as there are slots left it should give everyone a chance to play the role that they want to play.

Feel free to use any of these ideas if you want or if you might like to help make this type of CTI let me know, we could always use the help.

Edited to add some other info.

What I would like to see with CTI based games is more realism.  I know myself and a few friends are going to make a CTI version that has these sort of options when ArmA comes out.

Simple Economy - based off of how many towns you have captured.

Chain of Command - Commander can build spawn points (for troops, armor, or vehicles) at any captured town for a cost.  Squad leaders direct squad actions and can build base defenses.

Tactical Warfare - Each town may have different tactical advatages.  One town may have a military base that already can spawn tanks, or a barricks that can spawn troops.  If the town has a bus station it can be used to "warp" or transport players to another city that has a bus stop and is under your sides controll.  Some towns have fuel stations and spawn fuel trucks.  Some towns maybe worth more money then other towns, etc.

Armored units have accelerated fuel usage, a tank can only make it 1/4 the way accross the map before running out of fuel, making fuel trucks and fuel locatoins key.

Predefind roles - (limited number of each type so everyone cant be a sniper or air etc) When you join a game you select the type of role you want.  Air, Armor, Assault, Spec ops, sniper, or support.

Air can buy aircraft, choppers, etc.

Armor can buy tanks

Infantry can buy jeeps, trucks or ACP's

Spec ops can buy jeeps or motorcycles

Sniper can buy jeeps

Teamwork - Medics can revive or heal teammates, can also build mobile spawn points that can be placed anywhere on the map, but can only have one active spawn location per medic.  Support players can spawn fuel, ammo, repair trucks at any captured fuel station, can also repair buildings.  Spec ops can destroy fuel stations, bus stops, etc.

I should also add that we are making more of a town by town capture instead of a free for all.  That way there is a front line where all the fighting is.  

Hence town A is captured now all town b's can be captured but town C cannot be captured. and so on.

Anyway, that is just some of the idea we have floating around right now, and if we actually do it is still up in the air depending on how much time we have to work on this.  I see some people not wanting all the realism but I think if we make it where you select your role at the begining and depending on how JIP is going to work where you can select any role you want as long as there are slots left it should give everyone a chance to play the role that they want to play.

Feel free to use any of these ideas if you want or if you might like to help make this type of CTI let me know, we could always use the help.

Edited to add some other info.

Nice, keep us informed about that one, as I'll certainly play if you make it!!! biggrin_o.gif

your chain of command and tactical warfare sounds good

fuel usage is only good when the refueling is totally automated. nothing is as boring as to babysit run out of fuel tanks

the medic thing, moving spawn locations and reviving i would let out too. it would be too much of a battlefield copy, and doesnt fit the fragging ofp has.

/                                                **General disclaimer to keep thread focused**  biggrin_o.gif

This thread is not for OFP limitations, this is for ArmA and for a more realistic game.   Trying to get likes and dislikes into an understandable format and balance it against the new capabilities in the ArmA engine as information comes out.

A compilation will be posted on the first page every (I hope  whistle.gif ) friday.

Edit: corrected some mis-understood items

your chain of command and tactical warfare sounds good

fuel usage is only good when the refueling is totally automated. nothing is as boring as to babysit run out of fuel tanks

the medic thing, moving spawn locations and reviving i would let out too. it would be too much of a battlefield copy, and doesnt fit the fragging ofp has.

Thanks for the comments, here is our thinking on your concerns.

Fuel usage, this just helps the commander decide what is the best town to take and adds to the tactical side of things, a good commander would keep an eye on how far his tanks are moving to attack and he may want to take a town closer to get the fuel station before taking an assult on a further away town. If a town has a fuel station a tank can just pull up and fuel up, no need for support to be there. But if a squad of tanks is out in a field and running low on fuel or ammo, the support guys can spawn the appropriate trucks and come to the rescue.

The medic thing is something we are still working on. We might have it so instead of a mobile spawn point, its more of a revive point. When a medic revives a fallen squad mate he is transported to the mobile Medic tent. And the tent can easily be destroyed by a few hand grenades, chopper what ever so by no means is it a replacement for the spawn point that the commanders can build.

BTW, scrub, hope you dont mind me adding this stuff to your thread.

Not at all, please do.  I'd like to have enough good ideas here so somebody (you, Karrillion whomever?  biggrin_o.gif ) will think it's too good to leave out of the next version.