Sign in to follow this  
Buttabean

release over steam

No way, i wanna by a CD/DVD not only some data on my PC confused_o.gif

If you can't overcome your physical media fetish you can always <a href="http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=275&p_created=1100740298&p_sid=skmS4r2i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcH

Y9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1iYWNr

dXA*&p_li=&p_topview=1" target="_blank">burn the backup files on a cd or a dvd</a>.. yay.gif

No way, i wanna by a CD/DVD not only some data on my PC confused_o.gif

Couldnt agree more, and in the country Im in atm broadband is slow (d/load speed 33.6kbps at best, can get faster but price isnt worth it ) and Im limited to 1Gb per month before it goes back to just faster than dial up speeds. When I spend money on games I EXPECT to have a cd/dvd and possibly a manual depending on type of game, this one I wouldnt really need it.

Besides if you build it.................................................... someone wants to break it! Why? Because we are human. Someone always wants to prove to himself and to everyone else that they can do it. Fix it someone else will break it. Its a never ending cycle, with no winners and lots and lots of loosers. It would be easier and safer to sell in stores and if demand is there

sell online, but beware! Would BIS use steam? Problaly not, they would make their own as they have done with just about everthing else, and when that gets hacked who ends up paying?

@EiZei thats not the point. Why should i get a credit card and pay 20% + intrest to the god damn banks? Fuckers get enough money from normal accound fees. I've just finished paying one off and i've chopped the bastard up! Never again, unless Im in the deep deep shit or I get more money than brains I'll never get another one again. And what happens if you cant get a c/card because of other reasons? your screwed,that dont sound fair!

hey enough of my ranting just my 2cents smile_o.gif

No way, i wanna by a CD/DVD not only some data on my PC  confused_o.gif

If you can't overcome your physical media fetish you can always <a href="http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=275&p_created=1100740298&p_sid=skmS4r2i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcH

Y9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1iYWNr

dXA*&p_li=&p_topview=1" target="_blank">burn the backup files on a cd or a dvd</a>.. yay.gif

That's not the same!

I'm against steam, too.

I wanna see what I have bought. wink_o.gif

@EiZei thats not the point. Why should i get a credit card and pay 20% + intrest to the god damn banks? Fuckers get enough money from normal accound fees. I've just finished paying one off and i've chopped the bastard up! Never again, unless Im in the deep deep shit or I  get more money than brains I'll never get another one again.

hey enough of my ranting just my 2cents smile_o.gif

20%?! crazy_o.gif

If you are getting such interest rates maybe the problem lies with your bank not valve. wink_o.gif

And anyhow, I did mention Visa Electron which is a debit card and therefore has no interest and very low fees (2e a year for me)

Quote[/b] ]

And what happens if you cant get a c/card because of other reasons? your screwed,that dont sound fair!

They pretty much hand them out like candy these days, and if your credit is truly that crap you can always get one of those previously mentioned debit cards.

Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 release today on Steam (3-14 days before boxed version in stores and cheaper)

ask developers about how great deal was Steam for them as most of the price is going to theirs pocket not some greedy publisher (and it helped them to sign retail deal (AFTER steam deal) with fine conditions).

Just FYI ROO is one of most realistic WW2 FPS released (most of OFP fan should like it) ... see http://www.redorchestragame.com

Alot of scaremongering in this thread - why would releasing Arma through the internet with Steam or BIS' platform be a bad thing seeing as it will be released in stores AS WELL

the technophobe nature of the members here is a little disturbing confused_o.gif

We are talking about releasing steam only, and thinking the future if youre involved with steam, youre not going to get games by bis from markets anymore.

We are talking about releasing steam only, and thinking the future if youre involved with steam, youre not going to get games by bis from markets anymore.

why ? just look at Tripwire ...

no logic in ignoring 2 markets (digital content distribution and retail channel) if You can cover both... or You think "Steam" distribution is exclusive ? that's naive

I'd prefer a hard copy of ArmA, but if BIS can't find a publisher and the game is done, I'll have no problem buying it via Steam.

F**K steam!

Couldn't agree more! In fact the only thing that's gonna stop me from buying HL2's expansion pack is having to reinstall Steam!

Every time I reboot my comp and having to wait while this f*****ng program gets the latest Spam from the internet is one good enough reason to avoid this like the plague!  tounge2.gif

There's nothing "techophobe" about it. It's simply the fact that broadband is not a reality for most of the world. There is no way in hell I can get broadband in my area. There will never be broadband in my lifetime in the area I currently live (and likely the place I'm moving to aslo).

Even if I could have access to broadband I would be very hard pressed to install something as invasive as steam just to get a game or two. In the end steam is beside the point, broadband access is the biggest stumbling block in the digital distribution fallacy. Only people around universities and downtown districts in major cities can even have the “privilege†to pay for cable or DSL.

I like steam, I just don't think sales would be best over it. I voted "no" because I don't think the Steam community would embrace Arma Too heavily...if was steam and in retail that would be great, however.

burn the backup files on a cd or a dvd

hum good idea, but dont forget that CDR have found not as good as we through it should be, most of the good CDR may last 10 years long untill the reflex layer is completely failed, and those cheap one? well you are lucky if you could still read it after 5 years, and thats because you're using a low speed to burn those CDRs, so for me the best one is still those made from the gold(got CDs about 7 years old didnt taken care of, its quite dirty on the surface but i can still read it with old/new reader without problems, CDR? forget it)

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's nothing "techophobe" about it. It's simply the fact that broadband is not a reality for most of the world. There is no way in hell I can get broadband in my area. There will never be broadband in my lifetime in the area I currently live (and likely the place I'm moving to aslo).

im not being funny m8 but even people on benifit have wireless broadband in my area and its not like i ilve in beverly hills huh.gif

Seems like people are too lazy to backup theirs gcf files manually or utilize "backup files" feature in Steam ...

most of people who complain about Steam never touched it since early beta or 1.x version (it's on 3.x now) and things go fine ...

if the game can be purchased on cd and no steam files are required to play the game, they may releasea special internet version over steam, which ill certainly wont buy.

Who cares if its steam or not. They could use there own download service.

If they cant get a publisher, wouldnt you rather get the game as a download.

Or does everyone on here hate downloaded games so much you still wouldnt want it even it it was BIS's only hope to get the game out.

After 5 years since the first OFP I dont care how I get it, I just want it NOW, not 5 more years later. So who gives a crap how it gets on your computer, just getting it is good enough!

Steam? No...

Something else ... maybe

Steam will become another GameSpy only on steroids and automatic distribution. Give it 2 years. It will suck and it will suck hard.

[edit] I mean it will become another Gamespy as in it will become congested, full of marketing, and 90% useless crap[end edit]

The current WIP race simulator "Live for Speed" (which I learned about on this website! - thanks!wink_o.gif is a good example of how good a mixed distribution system should be made. Not this marketing gimmick 'steam' crap.

The LFS guys were able to offer downloads and serial keys and the ability to retrieve your key up to three times per month in the event of a reinstall... anymore than that and a simple email could be written. Activation was once only (like WinXP) and was very quick. Additionally, the product is offered on CD also for those that desire it. I ordered S1 and am debating on getting S2 or waiting until it's finished. Either way, when it's finished I'll have the CD/DVD  in my hands - even if I download it first.

The important points are that

A) automatic distribution is not mandatory

B) it is not used for marketing purposes or data collection

C) it allows them to distribute w/o a publisher

D) it does not require a seperate client program

A key bonus is that they can release their product in 'installments' meaning we've been able to play it before their even finished!!

Also, the reports of 'cheating' are near extinct levels as compared to almost any other MP online game.

They knew how to do it. Simple, cheap, and VERY effective..

what is this "Steam" talk anyway?? like CrashDome mentioned Im also sure as hell it will become another so-called "professional marketing tool" where end-users can only get unreliable solutions to their prolonged and consistent problems due to parties between the producer and the end-user...

However I support "downloadable game" idea because its hard to find the game on market especially if you're living in a non-US/EU country... for example Turkey, I bought JointOperations while I was in Belgium, and I bought two copies because its so much fun to play with a friend, but I want to buy additional 2 or several more (Teamplay via internet) but I CANT because Novalogic is selling games through the physical markets...

LFS is a very nice sample for downloadable games, Im still considering to buy a license to play it, but more than that, I know that I can buy it anytime I want to...

My word for BIS, your game will be PIRATED no matter what you do, even Starforce cant prevent it, but try to get advantage of this!!! let the pirates distribute the physical media for you, and you sell the CD-Keys/Manual online (as a ADDITIONAL service), and implement control by the internet gaming, check out NovaWorld for more info. This will save you from a lot of expenses, and even better, with the removal of third-parties (copy-protection/publisher) and reduced costs, you can sell your game at a more reasonable price and that could hit the market better that you can imagine... Be my guest please

*This one is a kind of supportive-measures against piracy, not the only marketing way of course.. xmas_o.gif

Some main features of Joint Operations of Novalogic,

*This game allows player to multiplay it via LAN or Novaworld,

*1 CD-Key = 1 Account = 5 different character names/statistics (no original CD-key means no internet gaming = no fun)

*Players can create internet games via Novaworld, so cheaters can be tracked as well as statistics about players

*Since the internet game pool is under control of Novaworld, players can find online games easily as well as friends that are online,

*Did I say JointOperations player limit per game is 150?? it is a unique fun to fight against 75 hostile players with 75 allied players

pistols.gifinlove.gif

Steam or a steam like platform would be preferable to me - mainly because i do use broadband and i do want a constant stream of automatic updates

Steam is not 56k unfriendly but Arma will be

just dont expect to be playing Arma online with 56k - dont be under any illusions about that

It makes perfect sense to me to cover the digital download and the retail sector - maximise your customer base and satisfaction - but I dont expect too many to sympathise with my opinion here, this is a forum after all where I have been told that Armed Assault being a commercial success would be a BAD thing??!!

CD/DVD option for those not on broadband and/or want a nice box;

Download option for those who can't buy the box and/or can't wait.

Everyones a winner!

Could use steam as a distributer and get the game seen all over the place. Well, it worked for the Darwinia guys anyway - send them the money and you can download the game straight away AND they send you the boxed game in the post. Bonus!

Or use some other distribution system. Theres more to life than Steam....

and thats the way it should be - each to his own

me - i consider myself more open to change and having a cd to me is just pointless, if it was necessary to have one in the disk drive at all times then i would just create a disk image and host it on a virtual drive

to deny the consumer the ability to embrace the future or cling to the past wouldnt bode well