Sign in to follow this  
Buttabean

release over steam

There seems to be a pretty big haterd for Steam, again all i care about is getting the game ASAP. I dont care about it needing to update, i dont care if it uses alot of cpu power unpacking, i dont care if its a little buggy, i just want armed assualt ASAP!

sure, but you would have it as fast if you would go to a store. The time you would download it. steam doesn't go over speeds of 250Kb/s,average I have is 50kb/s.

Steam is in my opinion a lazy way of releasing a game, so people don't have to get to the stores. Also an easy way of controlling people. How often they play, what they play etc... I think many people are forgetting that aspect.

Releasing it through steam still means they have to have a publisher, for advertising and normal packages, which I believe the OFP community quite likes as it is.

Everybody would like to have Arma as fast as possible, but steam isn't necessary faster, as they would still release it together with the normal version.

@Dwarden

be sure if there is better content distribution system ... i will be preferening that one ... sure i know some which are now developed and theirs coders but that is still far away for "ready" status ...

only what's instantly ready is Steam ... (you can release within days/weeks)

Why can't they use bittorent, it's free and better then steam rofl.gif

You will need redo BT to "match" Steam (in terms for massscale sales) ... and no to mention Steam got enough of server bw ...

but ... You gave me idea ... BIS can contact author of BT ... i remember he was working on some paid BT system for media/content distribution...

steam ist the second biggest crap after starforce.

and no, i dont download pirated games.

as an addition: i bought ofp 3 times (once at first release and 2x goty edition) and the game is still on my harddisk after 4 years

why?

because theres the flashpointbeta 1.96 no cd exe

so no steam, no copyprotection, no cd = happy customer

other example: i installed hl2 once. took me 4 hours to get the damn game finally running. played once through it, then deinstalled. i probably never install it again.

Quote[/b] ]there are 2 ways how solve this problem...

- either you download HL2 somewhere else and then backup files and these files You upload to Your machine with slow connect

- buy retail version ...

but i can understood why "such" way is not liked by people with 56k, ISDN, GRPS etc.

I have the retail version, installed it and first thing that happened was that steam came up with a over 300 Meg´s update I had to download BEFORE I would have been able to fire my first shot.

This would have taken me about 2-3 days of constant internet connection. This does not work from another computer as HL2 was installed on a different one and steam does recognize that.

So before rushing to assumptions you should first check what steam really does and what that means for slow internet connection guys who don´t have an alternative.

mad_o.gif

All you have to do is click on the don't update this game and walla it doesn't update the game and you can play 1.0 forever, i did this for cs i installed normal HL2 clicked don't update and updated cs.

I also love the whole attached to account part of it as i don't need to keep carting my cd's around with me if i want to play.

Quote[/b] ]as an addition: i bought ofp 3 times (once at first release and 2x goty edition) and the game is still on my harddisk after 4 years

why?

because theres the flashpointbeta 1.96 no cd exe

so no steam, no copyprotection, no cd = happy customer

other example: i installed hl2 once. took me 4 hours to get the damn game finally running. played once through it, then deinstalled. i probably never install it again.

erm you don't need the cd to play HL2 either it was one of the 1st patches to be released for the game.

Yeah steam does have its good points but I think the majority of people would like to have a proper case and disk.

Yeah steam does have its good points but I think the majority of people would like to have a proper case and disk.

Because the majority hasn't any real information at all about steam... sad_o.gif

Because the majority hasn't any real information at all about steam... sad_o.gif

no, because:

-I have a downloadlimit( nooooo, not again an update of 300 Mb :s)

-I don't like the way steam works(I don't want it to run when I play the game and log things)

-You have to know the program before you can disable things, why isn't it standard disabled?

-It's yet another program you have to install(I got loads already...)

-I prefer having a CD in case my emailadress get's hacked/disabled.

-I don't want to pay extra taxes like on steam(buy now at 19.99$!!!!, click on it, taxes additional 5$,wtf...)

-I don't want it to download things(you know, steam downloads around 1.7Mb each session without asking for anything,( I wonder what that is)

-I hate the install that pops-up after each reboot pushing next, next,next, finish, play the game each time after I rebooted(I wonder why that is)

There is more, but I need to think about that, anyway, in my opinion: band.gif

That is true, but the negativity far outweighs the positive side.

A few more negative aspects of Steam(ingpileofshit):

[*]Unable to play if a patch is available and you dont want to download that right now.

[*]Because the patch is available to all at the same time, dl-speed suffers (downloading 50MB at 20KB/s is not my kind of fun)

[*]Steam has to run and log-in in order for me to start a completely different program

I believe Valve was onto something with this idea, its just that the idea was very poorly executed.

[*]Unable to play if a patch is available and you dont want to download that right now.

[*]Because the patch is available to all at the same time, dl-speed suffers (downloading 50MB at 20KB/s is not my kind of fun)

[*]Steam has to run and log-in in order for me to start a completely different program

I believe Valve was onto something with this idea, its just that the idea was very poorly executed.

shadow this is not exactly true and some of upcoming "NON Valve" games on Steam will prove it ...

what You mentioned is with Steam + Source games ...

I like steam, its simple ive never had any problems with it at all.

EA is creating its own version too.

And a third party group has created a Prgram called Vapour for downloading and instalation of Mods for hl, hl2, doom3 etc.

Will it replace Dvds/Cds..no.

You can play games without updating the game, you can install HL2 vanilla v1.0 log into steam stop the update and play.

There are tons of servers all located around the world for content i've downloaded at 100kb before.

Steam is built into the game due to it including the server browser and the friends list (which is being fixed) which allows you to log into servers/load up games your mates are playing. It's an extra 10 seconds max if your loading up the game and an extra 5-10 mb of memory used.

Future games such as Red Orchestra Ost Front will use steam as content delivery but not to play it through.

There are many ++ with Steam I can tell.. Also mod tools are interigated to it, makes it very good, with pre-configurated settings for easy useing.

Other things such as compability with older games, now works with newer systems, support new hardware etc.

A "News" from last year...

Quote[/b] ]

"Today Valve disabled more than 30,000 Steam accounts which had been used to try to illegally gain access to Valve games without a valid purchase. Here's the quote for non-Steam forum members.

Valve takes such activities seriously and reserves the right to disable Steam accounts engaging in piracy, cheating, illegal activities, or any other activity in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement. The accounts that are disabled today will not be reactivated. - Erik Johnson (Valve)"

Strategy First To Use Steam!

Quote[/b] ]Publisher Strategy First has announced that it will use Valve's Steam content delivery service to distribute new and older games via electronic download. S.C.S - Dangerous Waters, the modern naval warfare sim, will be the first game to use the service later this month and other games will be announced later. Strategy First is the first full-fledged publisher to use Steam to distribute its titles. Strategy First already has an online store where it has a number of full games available for paid digital download but according to what a Strategy First PR person told Gamecloud today their own online store will remain. Using Steam is just an extension of their online game distribution plans.

http://gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=2601

The more people that get steam, the more people that will try to crack/hack it. So it's a good thing, I'm looking forward to download free games like it is already possible;)

"..Valve takes such activities seriously and reserves the right to disable Steam accounts engaging in piracy, cheating, illegal activities, or any other activity in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement."

Then again, if you have a accont with a couple of games that you a bought in steam, and you download a pirated game to add to your steam list, then Valve with shut down your account, with no But's, then you wont be able to play with your games that you bought.. just throw it to the trash...

Good luck with the cracking and hacking.. soon you will have a couple of guys knocking at your door ! welcome.gif

"..Valve takes such activities seriously and reserves the right to disable Steam accounts engaging in piracy, cheating, illegal activities, or any other activity in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement."

Then again, if you have a accont with a couple of games that you a bought in steam, and you download a pirated game to add to your steam list, then Valve with shut down your account, with no But's, then you wont be able to play with your games that you bought.. just throw it to the trash...

Good luck with the cracking and hacking.. soon you will have a couple of guys knocking at your door ! welcome.gif

Yes, exactly.

A guy in my class last week told everyone proudly: I wrote my own cheats for Counter Strike.

Yesterday his account got banned wink_o.gif

All this hacking and cracking stuff isn't as good as you thing Kode...

Well, it's easy to create another account, you just need an emailadress...that's it, that is the problem. Using your own account would be stupid.(of course there are always dumb people, and I'm not talking about cheating, but about downloading games. Which is completely different in my opinion... cheating is for losers. I just mean that it is an easy way of downloading a game directly from steam...

but this is going off-topic :s, sorry for that

Its wrong to use pirated games to, just as cheating, both for losers, right Kode? If you like the game - Then buy a licens for it..

Its seams like there is to many young people with no sense for anything anymore. band.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Well, it's easy to create another account, you just need an emailadress...that's it, that is the problem"

The best thing to do to set a stop that people to do so, the best thing is probebly to add a user must enter Full name, adress, social sequrity numbers etc. So the company know who the users are, so they can verifie the users..

OR?

Its wrong to use pirated games to, just as cheating, both for losers, right Kode?    If you like the game - Then buy a licens for it..

Its seams like there is to many young people with no sense for anything anymore.  band.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Well, it's easy to create another account, you just need an emailadress...that's it, that is the problem"

The best thing to do to set a stop that people to do so, the best thing is probebly to add a user must enter Full name, adress, social sequrity numbers etc. So the company know who the users are, so they can verifie the users..

OR?

I agree with you that if you like it, you have to buy it(I buy all the games I play) I just say you can easely do so, another negatif point for not using steam

and having a social security number, lol, what should that be tounge2.gif , besides they would find things to use that of others, but they cannot use it against the person, because that would not be right according to the right of privacy...

Now Steam would be a total disaster. Me, and lots of people would not be able to buy the game, it needs a goddamn credit card to get bought. No way man, steam down!

Unless they sell vouchers in software stores with scratch-off areas that conseal the serial numbers wink_o.gif

A few months ago steam was hackable, and anyone could get all steam games for free. But steam recently put a stop to it and ended the fun. mad_o.gif

Get visa electron if you don't have a credit card, they hand it out to just about anyone.

Anyways, if you can't get a credit card due to your young age why should you be even be playing such violent games in the first place? wink_o.gif