Sign in to follow this  
Buttabean

release over steam

I don't like Steam.

Reason:

1.) Frequent attestation.

- It is possible to reduce it by off-line mode.

- but, Steam is heavy. and decompression time of the archive is anxious.

I think steam is not for the software of the single-player, off-line, and the edit subject.

2.) It is worried that open architecture disappears.

- This also : about the attestation.

3.) steam is online-based system, and We do not buy software but will buy the use right. (like MMO games)

- if it will be inconvenient for bis and valve (like Bankruptcy), The title on steam is remove and locked, and We will not be able to play it.

- possibly forever. (In the worst case)

- In addition, other similar cases can exist.

steam is a wonderful online system.

and, I think that it is suitable for the title like half-life2. (i like half-life and half-life2)

but, It is not suitable for the title like operation flashpoint.

3.) steam is online-based system, and We do not buy software but will buy the use right. (like MMO games)

- if it will be inconvenient for bis and valve (like Bankruptcy), The title on steam is remove and locked, and We will not be able to play it.

- possibly forever. (In the worst case)

- In addition, other similar cases can exist.

Not true...

A) It is still playable in offline mode....

B)As Valve said, they just need to change one tiny file and steam will never try to contact the internet again...

A) play offline mode must need authentication once.

- can't play after locked.

B) Can it be trusted ?

every country has own publisher - as Czech Republic have Cenega and Australia have Atari which release OFP Elite there yay.gif

A) play offline mode must need authentication once.

- can't play after locked.

B) Can it be trusted ?

Well, after it's locked, you won't be able to buy the game either... oO

B)yes, because otherwise you can go to court...

Big NO!!!! on steam. Not really for anyone that doesn't own broadband, and yes there are many that have no other choice than dial up.

I wouldn't confuse the # of steam users as happy campers. It just shows how big HL2 has sold. You wanna play ,you got to have steam.

If I would've known how much crap you have to go through with steam I might have returned HL2 befor installing it. And yes I also re bought HL1 again hoping it would be clean of stain....err....steam but was disappointed.

If BIS could find a way to make a system that wasn't as intrusive as steam but included all bandwidth types in their plans then I might think about it.

-unplug Network cable.

Hahaha!

Sorry, but in OFP neither I need a CD in my drive, neither do I need a connection, neither do I need to unplug my network cable when I want to play it.

This is customer friendly. And I hope that BIS won't punish its customers because others are pirating or cheating.

You used brain when writing this ? i said You DO NOT NEED online connection to "somewhere" when YOu play OFFLINE ...

You dont need to have any media drive just MOBO + HDD, CPU, VIDEO and SOUNDCARD to play single player game like HL2 @ Steam ....

got the point ?

of course You can play normally in Online mode too ...

or if your post was some sort of irony then sorry but i missed it ...

Big NO!!!! on steam.   Not really for anyone that doesn't own broadband, and yes there are many that have no other choice than dial up.            

I wouldn't confuse the # of steam users as happy campers.       It just shows how big HL2 has sold.   You wanna play ,you got to have steam.    

If I would've known how much crap you have to go through with steam I might have returned HL2 befor installing it.     And yes I also re bought HL1 again hoping it would be clean of stain....err....steam but was disappointed.

If BIS could find a way to make a system that wasn't as intrusive as steam but included all bandwidth types in their plans then I might think about it.

It was said by some developers who are going to release via steam that they NOT need use Steam to auth theirs game ... (in other words no need to run steam after "buy & download" procedure done ...

of course until such game appear i take it with "reserve"

it's going to happen maybe in January 2006 with Red Orchestra : OstFront 41-45 , as this one is based on Unreal Engine 2.5 (yes You hear correct UNREAL game released VIA Steam distribution network) ...

if this happen, Steam will work just as online digital content distribution layer ....

What it sounds like, people doesn't really are into the steam application software. There for have bad arguments about it, If you could take a deeper look into it you will probebly find it a little bit better then you thought about. (Maybe you used it in the early stages of it, and there for might felt buggy)

What if Bohemia Interactive decided to release their upcoming titles thru the Steam network, I would not belive you guys that "We wont buy it", As Bohemia Interactive's games are a class of it own, I would probebly belive that it will catch even more players thru the Steam network. And Yes their upcoming titles will work as good as offline and as online.

And ofcourse you will be able to get it Boxed, with CD/DVD and some kind of manual.

welcome.gif >>> http://www.steampowered.com/

-unplug Network cable.

Hahaha!

Sorry, but in OFP neither I need a CD in my drive, neither do I need a connection, neither do I need to unplug my network cable when I want to play it.

This is customer friendly. And I hope that BIS won't punish its customers because others are pirating or cheating.

You used brain when writing this ? i said You DO NOT NEED online connection to "somewhere" when YOu play OFFLINE ...

You dont need to have any media drive just MOBO + HDD, CPU, VIDEO and SOUNDCARD to play single player game like HL2 @ Steam ....

got the point ?

of course You can play normally in Online mode too ...

or if your post was some sort of irony then sorry but i missed it ...

You're well out of order here. Posting in such an aggressive manner is frowned upon here.

I do not wish to see such a post from you again.

Arg, this is making me angree... A lot of people don't know anything about steam and are posting comments, which do influence other people negativly...

You do not need a all time running internet connection for SP mode... banghead.gif

Unfortunatelly for you I do know Steam. I've been running it for more than a year and my friend, former CS fan, was running it for even longer than that. And we still agree that, although it might be a great idea, it is still a buggy piece of crap. Unlike you I can still remember the nightmare that the release of HL2 was. Unlike you I do see that everytime Steam tries to update one of my games it takes as much CPU power as movie encoding does, or an application that is about to crash. I can't do anything else for that period of time. While simple download manager would've allowed me to download an update and use some other program at the same time. I also remember how "easy" it was to activate offline-mode for HL2 and you also forgot to mention that you cannot really activate it without an active internet connection, which kinda defies the purpose of the offline mode and if you're lucky it will work about 50% of the time. There might be chance that Steam will not be totally crap in 2-3 years, but ArmA is going to be released next year. I don't want to deal with that for ArmA. Do I need to continue? confused_o.gif

Edit: typo.

it's taking up CPU cycles because it checking encryption and uncompressing files etc ...

omg You speaking like such operation should take 1% cpu smile_o.gif

anyway since v2 when i use cache verification or updating ... even my archaic 2.5GHz AMD handle it w/o any cpu "lag" spike

it's taking up CPU cycles because it checking encryption and uncompressing files etc ...

omg You speaking like such operation should take 1% cpu smile_o.gif

anyway since v2 when i use cache verification or updating ... even my archaic 2.5GHz AMD handle it w/o any cpu "lag" spike

Of course. And millions of people who have that problem are running Pentium 2s? wink_o.gif

Steam is simply a no-go for me as I am on ISDN and I do think that a lot of OFP com members still have 8k/sec connections. This renders steam useless. And yes, I have tried it as I was forced to by HL2. Never made a single shot in HL2 because of steam. Thank you very much, but I don´t need/want it for the slow i-net connection reason.

Don´t see the real benefit of it anyway...

Edit:

Before questions arise. Like many others here I have a good inet connection available elsewhere. That´s good for downloading major updates and/or mods. I can´t install games on these computers but can download content. Steam would be rendered useless for me again.

@Dwarden

You know, most of the times first impression last very long and the first impression that most people had with steam was the HL2 fiasco. If you did not heard about it just get a look at the numerous HL2 forums. Even though the participants are HL fanatics you'll be surprise by the number of unsatisfied customers (not about the game itself but steam).

To defend it so agressively I wonder if you are a share holder or receive any benefits from steam because frankly there is nothing worth defending here.

In any case, as long as they continue giving the option to buy a cd/dvd normally at the store, they may even sell the game by episode mission by mission over steam if they want. They will always find someone to buy it.

Cheers

Steam is simply a no-go for me as I am on ISDN and I do think that a lot of OFP com members still have 8k/sec connections. This renders steam useless. And yes, I have tried it as I was forced to by HL2. Never made a single shot in HL2 because of steam. Thank you very much, but I don´t need/want it for the slow i-net connection reason.

Don´t see the real benefit of it anyway...

Edit:

Before questions arise. Like many others here I have a good inet connection available elsewhere. That´s good for downloading major updates and/or mods. I can´t install games on these computers but can download content. Steam would be rendered useless for me again.

there are 2 ways how solve this problem...

- either you download HL2 somewhere else and then backup files and these files You upload to Your machine with slow connect

- buy retail version ...

but i can understood why "such" way is not liked by people with 56k, ISDN, GRPS etc.

@Dwarden

You know, most of the times first impression last very long and the first impression that most people had with steam was the HL2 fiasco. If you did not heard about it just get a look at the numerous HL2 forums. Even though the participants are HL fanatics you'll be surprise by the number of unsatisfied customers (not about the game itself but steam).

To defend it so agressively I wonder if you are a share holder or receive any benefits from steam because frankly there is nothing worth defending here.

In any case, as long as they continue giving the option to buy a cd/dvd normally at the store, they may even sell the game by episode mission by mission over steam if they want. They will always find someone to buy it.

Cheers

for sure i'm not Valve shareholder nor staff nor even loyal customer ...

in fact i'm quite critic when comes to theirs products ... but at least theirs staff listen and fix most of the issues in "acceptable" timeframe ...

be sure if there is better content distribution system ... i will be preferening that one ... sure i know some which are now developed and theirs coders but that is still far away for "ready" status ...

only what's instantly ready is Steam ... (you can release within days/weeks)

I've never had a problem with Steam, mainly because I bought HL2 about 6 months after it's release and Steam had been fixed up. There were maany legal reasons why they used/pushed Steam...just Google "Valve vs Vivendi". wink_o.gif I think the option for a "Hard Copy" should always be there, and you shouldn't need a Steam-like app to play. But I'd like the option. And it is the way of the future kids, like it or not.

To whomever whined about how long the patching process took....it's still much shorter than OFP 1.0 -> 1.96, which I have to do since my CD is original. Adding the 1.2 OFP Patch is always a nightmare. I'm glad they fixed that up smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]there are 2 ways how solve this problem...

- either you download HL2 somewhere else and then backup files and these files You upload to Your machine with slow connect

- buy retail version ...

but i can understood why "such" way is not liked by people with 56k, ISDN, GRPS etc.

I have the retail version, installed it and first thing that happened was that steam came up with a over 300 Meg´s update I had to download BEFORE I would have been able to fire my first shot.

This would have taken me about 2-3 days of constant internet connection. This does not work from another computer as HL2 was installed on a different one and steam does recognize that.

So before rushing to assumptions you should first check what steam really does and what that means for slow internet connection guys who don´t have an alternative.

mad_o.gif

@Dwarden

be sure if there is better content distribution system ... i will be preferening that one ... sure i know some which are now developed and theirs coders but that is still far away for "ready" status ...

only what's instantly ready is Steam ... (you can release within days/weeks)

Why can't they use bittorent, it's free and better then steam rofl.gif

Only needed 1 min searching in google to get a crack for steam.

It worked, can download and play all the games availables...

I deleted it, and the games i have downloaded.

So, no thxs no steam...

Brings back memories of the downloadable version of 'Red Hammer' through Codemasters.

But....

So long as I can buy a hardcopy CD / DVD & manual through my local gaming store, I couldn't care less if they released it via morse code, carrier pidgeons or whatever.

There's only one way I intend to purchase my games, it's not via steam, or similar.

There seems to be a pretty big haterd for Steam, again all i care about is getting the game ASAP. I dont care about it needing to update, i dont care if it uses alot of cpu power unpacking, i dont care if its a little buggy, i just want armed assualt ASAP!

smile_o.gif

Ofcourse, holding the box, and opening is all the more sweeter, i just wanna play it but waiting for 2-3 years since news of a OFP2, and about 8 months for armed assualt, im desperate for the game, bring it on!!!

And steam is not safe... (you can get every game for free)

dont ask more...

Disc distribution is not safe.. you can get every game for free.

It involves this thing called the internet.