Sign in to follow this  
Buttabean

release over steam

thats how it works ...

You can also set it to not update (only manual on demand then)

Funny, I'm pretty sure most games on steam that have multiplayer also enable you to play LAN

This is true.

Except that it doesn't actually work. The option is there, but it doesn't function.

So you get games like RO, which are built on the Unreal Engine, and have inbuilt code for LAN play, but don't work because the STEAM software won't allow it.

They even have a "LAN" option from the games main menu.

Not that it will help you.

All STEAM games are predominantly PvP not co-op, they don't have a big LAN market. So they never fix it.

They just go on saying it works on LAN when everyone knows it doesn't.

What do they care, how many people bought Counter Strike Source to play on their LAN?

It's not worth their time to spend the money fixing it.

So you get those kinds of mixed signals where STEAM say RO works on LAN in "offline mode", but the programmers who wrote it and are on their forums supporting it, all say it doesn't.

And then you find a small few unhappy LAN heads on the forums because they bought a game that doesn't function as advertised..... Soon to be buried under a tumult of the usual PvP brigade crying "pirate", "cheat", "hacker"  and generally trying to own everyone instead of help.

But ArmA isn't Counterstrike. It isn't RO or Halflife. LAN players make up a big element of it's fanbase. If all you want it for is Online play or Singleplayer, you will be fine.

If they package ArmA so it doesn't launch STEAM to play, then you will also be fine.

But my advice is if you want it for LAN co-ops, buy it from elsewhere. STEAM is well known amongst the LAN fraternity. It's copy validation system is incompatable with LAN use.

Funny, I'm pretty sure most games on steam that have multiplayer also enable you to play LAN

If they package ArmA so it doesn't launch STEAM to play, then you will also be fine.

That is possible you know, I own X2 and X3, bought via steam and they don't need you to launch the game using steam, although you can do.

I don't think release over steam will universally mean "launch via steam platform" just being able to buy it over the steam network.

Baff, you are wrong, plain and simple.

Stop spreading the myths mate. ALL steam games work with LAN play, if everyone playing actually PURCHASES the game. You are trying to steal, full stop.

See my post on Atari forums if you really can't figure it out.

But there is good news guys!!

Quote[/b] ] Things again are looking good! Looks like this is going to happen and that it will happen relatively soon! It also might not be the only Atari game making its way to Steam soon

Quote from Mattlab, Digital Downloads and E-Commerce Producer for Atari inc

WOOOOT!

Quote[/b] ]WTF is steam??? yay.gif

Is that a serious question or does the dancing banana denote some kind of sarcasm?

Baff, you are wrong, plain and simple.

Stop spreading the myths mate. ALL steam games work with LAN play, if everyone playing actually PURCHASES the game. You are trying to steal, full stop.

See my post on Atari forums if you really can't figure it out.

Sorry you feel that LAN play is theft.

No STEAM games work with LAN, if you have a look at exactly how many Co-op titles STEAM currently has, you might gain a better understanding into exactly how much attention they have been paying to LAN users.

LAN or intranet?

Are you required to log in a steam account  for each user for example?

Which STEAM games do you play on your LAN?

Quote[/b] ]Sorry you feel that LAN play is theft.

No, LAN play, when everyone owns the game, is not theft. I do it all the time on Stream and non-Steam games. Trying to play a LAN game with 4 players and 1 copy of the original game usually is. (depending on game, license etc)

So, you are saying that you should be able to play a game on multiple computers on a LAN without everyone that is playing owning a copy of the game (when the game is not licensed for multiple, simultaneous use, even in its current form)?

How do you not see that as theft?

Quote[/b] ]No STEAM games work with LAN, if you have a look at exactly how many Co-op titles STEAM currently has, you might gain a better understanding into exactly how much attention they have been paying to LAN users.

C'mon, you must be trolling. You seriously believe that?

ALL Lan-enabled games on Steam work in LAN mode.....IF EVERY PLAYER OWNS THE GAME.

Do you have a problem with every player needing to own a copy of the game?

If so, that is not a Steam issue. Nearly every multiplayer game released these days, requires each participant in a LAN game to have a DIFFERENT CD KEY (ie their own copy of the game).

How exactly does steam differ?

FYI I play CS:S, DOD:S, and back in the day RO on Lans with my friends all the time....we have never had any issues, but we each own a copy of the game we try to play. Last I checked we could play these with every one of us in "off line mode", hence no internet/Steam connection required.

Either you are trolling, or your interpretation of "LAN Play" is "1 person buy the game and the rest of us can play it for free"

depends on game integration with STEAM if it allows to be played over LAN e.g. in offline mode

this gets even more complicated if game uses VAC

the problem You hinting there is that STEAM itself don't allow one STEAM account to be used concurent times

aka i get account A and run it on NOTEBOOK and also on my DESKTOP at same time ...

not possible, at least one of them must be then in OFFLINE mode

ofc some games which were integrated to STEAM allows NET gameplay w/o STEAM being online ...

anyway I don't see reason why You against STEAM because NOONE forces You to use STEAM copy of game IF it not fit Your criteria ...

ok now important Questions post smile_o.gif

---

if i remember right ATARI got rights just for NA region

( maybe also Australia or i mismatch this but i think they got distribution also in one more area than NA)

anyway my concern is ... IF publisher named ATARI manage to publish ArmA (ArmA : Combat Operations ) on Steam worldwide

who gets the most of slice from sales from non NA users buying on STEAM ?

i hope that ATARI isn't trying to 'cut off' BIS/others publishers income from world wide sales

also i would like to know opinion of others publishers like 505 games, LEM, Akella, Morpicon on this theme?

ideally i hope STEAM release is done with 'approval' from all parties affected and involved

and what about ArmA:QG and ArmA:GOLD (with QC) as i was under impression the may big boy behind is 505 games

and from this raises another issue : Is ArmA STEAM release world wide or region locked ? (steam allows that feature)

@ Dwarden, I'm no longer anti a STEAM release, I would have been if like RO it was packaged with the game as default preventing use without STEAM.

Similarly I owuld be if this was later patched in, or included as default with any expansions.

While my ArmA use is no longer threatened by STEAM, I do think it is helpful to other potential STEAM customers to warn them, of the problems that other customers sucha s myself have experienced with their service.

Be the problem VAC or mutliple logins or whatever, STEAM is notoriously unfriendly to LAN players. (Vac shouldn't really be a problem for LAN users as long as you can turn it off, we can all see each others screens anyway, anti cheat is unwanted).

I assume that you likewise have no problem with LAN players being warned and choosing to buy their products from an alternative vendor.

I don't see why this would cause you any problem either.

As I said before I think STEAM is an excellent service for online or single player games but it sucks for LAN users.

@ frogg

It isn't theft because nothing is stolen.

Nothing has been taken.

Even the copywright remains intact.

At worst it is breach of contract, assuming that what you have bought is a lisence agreement not a purchase, an assumption that has no basis in law.

If however a disclaimer labelled "lisence agreement" erroniously claimed that I had no right to operate my software as I please under the laws and rights granted me by parliament, I should of course ignore it.

So asssuming I moved to planet Frogg, where breaking a EULA agreement = theft. We would still be left with this...

The lisence is written by the publisher.

If Steam chooses to make it's games more expensive to the LAN owner by limiting the use of the software to one owned computer only, then it can expect less sales to that type of user.

In this circumstance, A LAN gamer should simply purchase from another retailer who offers better value for money.

That you and your friend both have had to buy individual copies of your game to play on your LAN isn't exactly a big sales pitch to me.

But I suggest to you that you are misrepresenting the case. That your friend did not buy his own copy to play on your LAN, but rather bought his own copy to play on his own computer. Which he either brought round your house one day, or brought round the software he had already installed on his own personal computer. In which case he too was guilty of "theft" in your eyes and you aided and abetted him.

Likewise if my friends want to install a STEAM game on their computers they should pay for it too.

You clearly don't own a LAN, it's not an issue that affects you, you are just going out of your way to insult me for sharing my experience of STEAM with other LAN players.

I don't appreciate being called a thief or the implication that I have been stealing anything. I shall not continue to reply civily to you if this continues.

ok now important Questions post smile_o.gif

---

if i remember right ATARI got rights just for NA region

( maybe also Australia or i mismatch this but i think they got distribution also in one more area than NA)

anyway my concern is ... IF publisher named ATARI manage to publish ArmA (ArmA : Combat Operations ) on Steam worldwide

who gets the most of slice from sales from non NA users buying on STEAM ?

i hope that ATARI isn't trying to 'cut off' BIS/others publishers income from world wide sales

also i would like to know opinion of others publishers like 505 games, LEM, Akella, Morpicon on this theme?

ideally i hope STEAM release is done with 'approval' from all parties affected and involved

and what about ArmA:QG and ArmA:GOLD (with QC) as i was under impression the may big boy behind is 505 games

and from this raises another issue : Is ArmA STEAM release world wide or region locked ? (steam allows that feature)

The distribution software I've worked on tracks sales by geographical region and then credits the the sale to the respective local lisenced distributor (for a small fee of course).

Who knows what agreements they have made with who.

Baff,

When you say "LAN", are you by any chance referring to a commercial "Gaming lounge" or "LAN Shop"?

biggrin_o.gif

Because when I read your posts, I read "LAN" as the literal interpretation (ie. local area network), and reply to them in such a manner. Probably something to do with my line of work. :/

If you are referring to a gaming shop "LAN" then well, we are pretty much talking separate issues, and I do have to apologize for not clarifying earlier.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

@Dwarden

One would hope Atari is not trying do anything on the sly. It seems a little bit out of nowhere, and the language used by "Mattlab" of Atari suggests they obviously would like it there sooner rather than later. But then again, it's entirely possible all publishers have been in contact over the issue.

Quote[/b] ]and from this raises another issue : Is ArmA STEAM release world wide or region locked ? (steam allows that feature)

Just out of interest, how many country's has the boxed Arma been released in?

If it was to be a global release, I wonder who would get the Publishers cut for the "new" regions? Straight to BIS?

well i dont know what to think the thread on ATARI forums is gone now ...

anyway to Baff1 i answered you in two posts with more content on ATARI thread

You can play STEAM games on LAN many of them even with just one account ...

it all depends on game MP design and coding, game integration with steam and so on ...

it's not STEAM fault by default

To not release it on steam would be to shot yourself in the foot. Its also a pointless ll because those who are against already own it in DVD form anyways and would have no need to use steam, to those who have an interest putting on steam would be the best thing BIS could do.