Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

i've heard this from a few people now and im also starting to believe it, ArmA is looking like a slightly upgraded (or "glitzed up") version of OFP, and while this may or may not be the case it seems to be based upon what the designers at BIS would like rather than the community, and was it not last time with OFP, the community which made it so much of a success? For instance, the moving on vehicles idea in the one post, or the customization of weapons in another, of which it is BIS which has preset weapons, so they've added a lift but wasnt that an addon obtainable in OFP, granted it wasnt spot on but it was good enough, im as eager to try the game as many people on here probably are but it doesnt seem like the have done much to it (other than good graphics, JIP multiplayer and a few other things), anyone got a cost for the game? Counter my arguements as you please as i am probably far wrong.

EDIT: sorry but i see the posts of what people would really like in the game and seem that they arent as they are good ideas

Well, the weapon customization seems to be at hand...

As for the walking on vehicles, I must say I find it odd not to be in ArmA, since apparently it's possible in VBS, if I'm not mistaken... so at least maybe there is hope that it will be integrated into ArmA at a later patch. The dynamically destructible buildings have been proven to be possible already in OFP by the community, so there's hope that maybe, if BIS doesn't make it possible through a patch in the future, that the community will provide it as a possibility. I also hope that in the future BIS will implement tank interiors (I do have to wonder though - if OFP addons are supposed to be easily implementable in ArmA, why don't they just refurbish their old models a bit but leave them with at least all the same "functionality" they had before, like interiors and such? huh.gif As for the variety, if CWC and Resistance are included, we should hope to find all that was in CWC and Resistance also in ArmA...).

I'll give priority rather to base gameplay issues like being able to do briefings fully in the ingame editor - and maybe have a more readable radar than the stripe in OFP...

I for one would definitely like to ArmA come out as complete as possible from the start, but I understand that BIS is under a lot of pressure to bring the game out ASAP - I hope that whatever ArmA turns out to be in the beginning, will at least be bug-free, and whatever will be left over to do will be added through patches later on.

BUZZARD @ Sep. 07 2006,12:38)]As for the walking on vehicles, I must say I find it odd not to be in ArmA, since apparently it's possible in VBS, if I'm not mistaken...

It was demonstrated as technically possible in VBS but was not apparently released. We don't know what problems and unfixable bugs existed ... (massive MP lag? collision detection problems etc)

The videos of this 'feature' in VBS were frankly rubbish. Basic physics was ignored, soldiers were able to stand on accelerating trucks, whist off-road and making tight turns. In fairness to BIS they knew that which is, presumably, just one reason why it wasn't released and didn't appear in Arma.

I would consider "walking on vehicles" more of a technical "stunt" without much true effect on the gameplay. I believe BIS's time is better spent on other things. That's my opinion.

We don't need to walk on vehicles, we need to be able to fire from moving vehicles.

There are clear blue skies, yet it looksl like its overcast. This really disappoints me, and frankly looks like crap.

Depends where Sahrani lies geographically and the time of year. Clear skies in Florida in Summer would be very bright, but clear blue skies in England in Winter would look even more washed-out.

True, but I was under the impression that Sahrani must be somewhat near the equator considering the southern part is tropical, and thus would have some fairly bright sunshine.

i think the same weapons like in OFP some new lookin weapons like AntiTank or the new M16 A2 or M4 Carbine also a new american model.. i dont know which year the conflict in A&A is playin but the American side have much better and Modern Weaopns than the Russian Units they are strong but the same like in OFP 1985 and USA have units of the 90ties... and there is not a T90 or T80 help.gif i heared you need 4 hits to destroy a abrams with a Launcher .. i dont know ? and the Kalashnikows are from 1974 AK74 the new model of Kalashnikows in the russian army is black and looks little bit diefferent i have no idea about he details.. but it is a another weapon.... they should change this.. maybe ? biggrin_o.gif

no new weapons just new Models and this only for American units banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Hahahaha - welcome to the forums!

The OPFOR side is NOT, I repeat, not Russia. They are the Communist North Sahranis, and like most communist states they use Soviet Bloc weapons, older, Soviet Bloc weapons, like the good ole crappy-for-concealment AK74. Sure, modern Russian forces use the funky new matt black 74M, but North Sahrani is behind in the times.

BUT.. Like any good buyer in a discount store, they buy A LOT of the cheap stuff.. biggrin_o.gif

Will an English version be released in Germany? If so I'll find a way to order it.

OFP came out in Europe before America, I bought it off the internet asap, so I was one of the first in the states to have it smile_o.gif

Hopefully I can do this again with armed assault, but if they only have it in German there, I dont really see the point.

your right about one thing this is a ridiculous arguement, the only way we can say anything other than , i think this would happen is for one of us to volunteer to get shot with a shotgun at point blank and frankly i dont care that much.. so why dont we all stop pretending we have doctorate in physics and just be happy the damn game is finally coming out

Perfect biggrin_o.gif

But I will add, in all my years Whitetail hunting with a shotgun I've never seen one fly a few meters backwards after being killed, let alone even a meter.

Most pile up in a ton of &*%$ and fall dead where they stand.

If they are on a dead run and I am lucky enough to hit them their own momentum piles them up into a rolling ton of &*(% biggrin_o.gif

My german is terrible but they are mentioning a video over here:

http://armed-assault.de/news/allgemein/ein-bericht-auf-cynamitede.html

But you need to be a member to download it, also there is a bit of information.

Well you need to be a GOLD member in order to be able to download the video.

The link actually links to a german preview from Cynamite at http://www.cynamite.de/pc....lt.html

They add that the magazine PC Powerplay 07/2006 will feature some ArmA footage as well.

I'm starting to be the community translator, eh tounge2.gif

This is a video from E3 demo ("famous 75% completed"). Nothing new, and probably out of date.

they ve got the alpha version of arma and there is nothing realy special of new information in this preview. the guy talks about the things he has to do in this preview mission- his suggestion is to rework the steering and aiming of the helo cause he thinks its to difficult for a 2006 game and that the ai is a bit far away from being really intelligent...(sometimes)

i belive that others could translate the whole preview better then me- sorry for my bad english

confused_o.gif

they ve got the alpha version of arma and there is nothing realy special of new information in this preview. the guy talks about the things he has to do in this preview mission- his suggestion is to rework the steering and aiming of the helo cause he thinks its to difficult for a 2006 game and that the ai is a bit far away from being  really intelligent...(sometimes)

i belive that others could translate the whole preview better then me- sorry for my bad english

confused_o.gif

NO! Don't alter the Helo stearing etc just to fit in with modern games! We dont want another game, we want a game/soldier sim like OFP before it!

(...sorry..to agresive?)

Desperate more like. nener.gif (I understand your panic) I believe that 'too hard for a 2006 game' statement is about 4 months old, and there was outrage on these forums about it already. I hope it's the old preview anyway. confused_o.gif

...if you shoot somebody with a shotgun from close range, he flies a few meters back...

Wrong, you've watched too many Holywood movies. If shotgun actually did that, then the shooter would have to "fly" few meters backward too. Mythbusters rule!

Well, OFP being so good and famous had to have SOMETHING of a "WHOA!" effect, don't you think? biggrin_o.gif

I hate german langage !

Imho the correct phraze would be 'I do not understand german'

hate is something for dumb ppl

The OPFOR side is NOT, I repeat, not Russia. They are the Communist North Sahranis, and like most communist states they use Soviet Bloc weapons, older, Soviet Bloc weapons, like the good ole crappy-for-concealment AK74. Sure, modern Russian forces use the funky new matt black 74M, but North Sahrani is behind in the times.

cmon.. this are russian forces.. and not Sahrani comunists..

if you see the screenshots of OFP2 or Game2 you will see they are usin the same guns like in A&A..

if you see the screenshots of OFP2 or Game2 you will see they are usin the same guns like in A&A..

they are North Sahrani forces, NOT RUSSIAN, simple as, thats wat BIS say they are seeing as they on the island of Sahrani in the Atlantic, just with communist bloc weaponry, like china, north korea, egypt etc etc. just because they have russian sourced kit doesnt make them russian.

bootneckofficer

ahhahahaahah sahrani comunists... yes..

they are North Sahrani forces, NOT RUSSIAN, simple as, thats wat BIS say they are seeing as they on the island of Sahrani in the Atlantic, just with communist bloc weaponry, like china, north korea, egypt etc etc. just because they have russian sourced kit doesnt make them russian.

bootneckofficer

Ok they are north Sahrani but they have russian equipment .. and why they cant have the new one like RUSSIANS ??

bootneckofficer

and why have America the newest weapons.. i think this is playin in earlier 90tie and they have the guns from 2000 .. the M4 Carabine  and M16A2 from the screenshots are too new AND Tnorth sahrani" too old.. .