Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

And yet so many are too blind to see it..oh well..if its graphics there worried about then they can go to crysis or other games of the same nature. Gameplay over Graphics.

ArmA = OFP 1.5(or rather 1.75)

This press release about VBS2 :

Quote[/b] ]Bohemia Interactive is working closely with the USMC to finalise Virtual Battlespace 2 (VBS2), a

completely new product based upon the brand new game engine Real Virtuality 2.

Coupled with the informations about esport interview :

Quote[/b] ]ArmA is based upon the same engine as VBS2

Seems to suggest that Armed Assault is not "OFP 1.5" or "OFP 1.75" anymore, but is now near to be a "OFP 2.0".

ArmA = OFP 1.5(or rather 1.75)

This press release about VBS2 :

Quote[/b] ]Bohemia Interactive is working closely with the USMC to finalise Virtual Battlespace 2 (VBS2), a

completely new product based upon the brand new game engine Real Virtuality 2.

Coupled with the informations about esport interview :

Quote[/b] ]ArmA is based upon the same engine as VBS2

Seems to suggest that Armed Assault is not "OFP 1.5" or "OFP 1.75" anymore, but is now near to be a "OFP 2.0".

Ok before I say what I want... let me just say I am a huge OFP fan, and I am very much looking forward to ArmA.

Now... ArmA is NOT OFP 2.0 at all. To call it that, is to close your eyes to the facts that ArmA lacks alot of new features. Sure, we have bigger island, better graphics, some engine limits have been fixed, more scripting commands, and even bullet penatration. Sure there are some other new features as well, but nothing to make ArmA anything more then OFP with a new coat of paint... there are no BIG gameplay improvements.

We are still missing BIG features that have been wanted by the community for years, that would have improved gameplay... moving on vehicles, destructable buildings, modular weapons just to name a couple. Im not saying theres not a really good reasons these features will not be in ArmA... just that lacking things like this, ArmA is not a great leap from OFP in terms of gameplay. My point is... most of the major changes in ArmA have been the graphics. As where new gameplay features have been left out. The only great gameplay change is the collision detection, but OFP's was so horrible, its only right it be fixed in ArmA.

As for VBS2 being built with the ArmA engine... I find BIS saying this as strange, since not too long ago it was stated that VBS2 would be built with the Game2 engine from what I understand (could be wrong). Which is far from the ArmA engine.

Either way, if it IS the ArmA engine... it would make one wonder why VBS2 has features that are not in ArmA but will be in Game2. Such as destructable buildings. Placebo pretty much said they are not in ArmA becuase of technical limitations in his radio interview. Yet its clearly stated they WILL be in VBS2... so if VBS2 and ArmA share an engine, then they should be possible in ArmA. So why are they not there? Its pretty clear they are in high demand by the community, and if the engine can handle them, why not add them. Unless they are being held off intentionally for Game2...

yeah some game engines have a long life due to thier code like a certain flight sim i use that was written for twin cpu's many years ago. This sort of code is big spendula and its where coders can become legends in cyber world.

Not like a quickie (some other companies) !

I follow thier industry with interest and i have a lot of respect for BIS and OFP. Im guessing here but from what ive seen in OFP and its progression id say its matured and thats what we need from such complex engines. On our latest KA pc's !

A brand new big spendula engine thats promising a simulator type experience if you want...expect some patches/tweaks constantly regardless of time in developement.

I always have a need for this yay.gif

- Kinetic energy, round penetration, breath system. <=== these all make gunfights a lot better.

I'd like to ask what that kinetic energy thing is. As my physics knowledge says it was the effect when a high moving energy (is this the correct English term?) object hit something, it transfered its energy to the something it hit (for ex. if you shoot somebody with a shotgun from close range, he flies a few meters back). But it's already in OFP, so what are we talking about? Thx

there is no advanced physics (like kinetic energy) in OFP, some effects was made using scripts, thats all

I'd have to ask, like Lizard, what do you mean by kinetic energy? The shotgun example sounded like a pretty good example to me, and I did physics too. I will add an example - man hit by car, man flies backwards (though car doesn't, I must admit biggrin_o.gif ).

Perhaps give us an example of what you are talking about?

Morphicon has now confirmed the release date for Germany on their website. 30.11.2006 it says on the Site. They also advertise the preorder through Amazon.de for Armed Assault. Aparently it will be then shipped to you on the 30th.

Question that remains is...will they dub the voice files?

If not I think this might be a good chance to get your hands on ArmA on date.

The term 'kinetic energy' simply refers to energy (power) that is generated by movement. For example, a kinetic wrist-watch does not require a battery, as the power for the watch is created when you move your arm. Not sure how this could apply to ArmA though... wink_o.gif

...if you shoot somebody with a shotgun from close range, he flies a few meters back...

Wrong, you've watched too many Holywood movies. If shotgun actually did that, then the shooter would have to "fly" few meters backward too. Mythbusters rule!

Read This.

As I understand it this already exists, not only in this but most games.  Also I was under the impresion that some/most/many buildings would be distrucable...

...if you shoot somebody with a shotgun from close range, he flies a few meters back...

Wrong, you've watched too many Holywood movies. If shotgun actually did that, then the shooter would have to "fly" few meters backward too. Mythbusters rule!

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant OFP's existing feature: take a shotgun (I recommend LSC's Mossberg M590, downloadable from opf2.info), and shoot an AI guy from a distance of 10 meters. He will fly like a bird, Mythbusters or not. Or take a handrenade, using the latest ECP, and drop it towards a BMP. If you lucky, you can hit the armour, and it will bounce from the grenade, because the ECP handgrenade weights a brutal mass, 100.000 kgs or what. My point is: even OFP counts something kinetic energy, altough OFP has its own physics rules, but they exists!

I tend to think that ArmA will be like what Doom 2 was compared to Doom 1. The original game extended to its ultimate state of nirvana. smile_o.gif

So what are you saying,, if you shoot someone with a shot gun at point blank range, he will just explode in a bloody mess and not move back at all?

If an very strong adult decided to punch a child or a very small adult just under the rib cage, im quite sure the smaller person would be moved and i dont think the large adult would move at all

If an very strong adult decided to punch a child or a very small adult just under the rib cage, im quite sure the smaller person would be moved and i dont think the large adult would move at all

You're talking about two completely different things. This argument makes no sense at all. Your fist does not have recoil. A shotgun does. I think that the effect of a point blank shot to a person would have a lot to do with the kind of ammunition used, but I highly doubt that the person would fly back any more than a foot. Just look at the way a 50 cal sniper rifle effects a person. It knocks them down - it doesn't push them back.... I know it's kind of like apples and oranges comparing 50 cal sniper rifles (or machine guns for that matter) with a shotgun but... banghead.gif

Right and if the body flies back its prolly more from muscle contractions of getting shot.

Woot !! ARMA release date for Germany,what makes them so special? lol I am German descendant. Can I get it too?

Yeah, I'm an eighth German - what about me?

I think what we need is for the original plaintiff about kinetic energy to elaborate. There's a whole ton of stuff he could have meant, collisions, knocking stuff over, ballistics, etc. Kinetic energy is pretty damn broad.

your right about one thing this is a ridiculous arguement, the only way we can say anything other than , i think this would happen is for one of us to volunteer to get shot with a shotgun at point blank and frankly i dont care that much.. so why dont we all stop pretending we have doctorate in physics and just be happy the damn game is finally coming out