Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

by artillery do they mean actual units firing from across the map or just a magical shell that falls from the sky.

by artillery do they mean actual units firing from across the map or just a magical shell that falls from the sky.

Actual units firing the shells...

I have no idea but lets hope its not like that BS in BF2 that with a simple scan of the map you get red dots to aim at. it ruined bf2 and the same would ruin ARMA.

I dont know how they work and some more info would be nice, maybe fellow players can call it co-ordinates to the people using the artillary.

designating the co-ord to a group on the other side of the map would be very good, however realistic randomness in the way the shells fall would be needed although i'm sure BIS have looked in to that

given CoC's work with BIA, I'd assume there would be some cross over in systems but very much simplified - you offer a grid for the arty to fire at, it fires at that grid smile_o.gif or at least i hope so... unless the ability of artilery has been included, just not used?

then again there are arty pieces on both sides.

if the system for indirect fire is there within the game as a whole then i am very happy, i know modmakers and scripters did there best but i think everyone will agree it was a bit fiddly using scripts unless you were very clued up. i always though OFP would have been better if the ability to use mortars, self proppelled guns and fixed artillery was there to start with, would have opened up numerous possibilitys, atleast now we know we've got that in arma, i hope so anyway

Speaking of the features I wonder where climbing over obstacles have gone...

I hope BIS didn't give up the idea..

I dont understand your post.

Are you saying they mentioned to maybe add climbing to ArmA?

If so, I didnt know and do you have more info about it?

huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Q: There has been suggestions voiced by a few members of the community that ArmA should include jumping to overcome small obstacles like sand walls etc. Many others believe that jumping will ruin the game and turn it into some CS clone, and suggested that an option to climb over obstacles should be introduced. Will we see anything like that in ArmA ?

A (V.B): We are currently implementing climbing over certain obstacles, but there will be no "CS style" jumping.

source: OFP.info Arma Interview from Feb. 06

(I'm glad i found the interview. I was begining to think my memory doesn't serve me well.)

@lecholas

Thank you very much, I missed that part.

Thanks for the link aswell!! smile_o.gif

Does anyone know if ArmA is getting a new website? The current one is kind bland and boring. Look at the VBS2 one, why cant ArmA get a cool one like that?

who cares if it sucks, let bis spend their recources on finishing the game.

The website is functional.

Publicity is supposed to be handled by the publisher. BIS is a developer so don't expect them to create the site for the game even though they probably will do that.

Me, myself and Mini-me can do that before we go out and Conquer the world with our "evil sat" biggrin_o.gif

Soo... Why can't someone just update it! The current ArmA site sucks...

Can you do better? Set up your own fan site.

Soo... Why can't someone just update it! The current ArmA site sucks...

Can you do better? Set up your own fan site.

What does it matter whether he can do better or not? The site could use an overhaul. Sometime last year bis mentioned that they were putting up a new site.

For OFP Freaks like us, the site may be ok.

But for someone who has no clue about OFP/ArmA yet, the Armed Assault site isn't a good source for information about what you can do with this great game.

- Where is the Story?

- Where is the list of "cool" vehicles?

- Where is a list of some of the unlimited features this game can offer?

ArmA_Soldier.jpg

I think it would be nice to show some more of what a fantastic game this is going to be and that it will be a MUST HAVE.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Yea, the flashpoint1985.com was alot better... It had diaries etc. when under development, and videoes of all the vehicles and stuff like that prior release.

If things continue like they are, this game will not be as successful as it should be, especially here in the USA.

The sad truth is that the majority of people here do not trust anything that does not come from a BIG source. Hollywood vs Indie, WamMart vs the corner store and EA vs "whoever." You will not be able to convince them of the merits of something from the little guy. There is a built in prejudice against it. They think that "If it was any good, why isn't on tv?" These gamers are already pre-disposed to disliking this game and if you put the game in front of them, they will point out everything they can to belittle it and not like it. Most reviewers also have this attitude, especially if the publisher is not an advitiser. This game will not get a fair shake if they don't have a big publisher and that's if anyone knows about it.

There is no buzz here for it and that's sad (and terrible). No one has heard about it and if you try to decribe it, they don't believe you. In 2001 there was a decent reception for the game in the US but there was alot more knowledge of it among gamers before release. In fact we were able to play it three months before the the release of OFP version 1.11. Maybe a delay in the game's release wouldn't be so bad.

--Ben

I totally agree with you ben......here in Canada there is no buzz at all about this game. The only people who even know it exists are OFP freakers who are desperatly clinging to the hope that the game will actually reach these shores. The BIS page is another example of dropping the ball. There is really nothing new there...other than some pics and some pre release reviews.....which are meaningless to most savvy gamers...and I do not buy the idea that it should be up to publisher to get a quality page up. BIS is the source right now...and they just do not appear to be up to the task of making sure thier product gets out there in a professional/informative manner. IF it is up to the publisher...then is 505 havin a nap as well?huh.gif This game could drop onto the shelves over here today and they (BIS)would NOT get the sales they expect because nobody would even know it existed....except for me...and maybe the handful of faithful that long for its release. Ya I'm cranky.....but it's cuz I'm just plain tired of waiting for this product....in the dark...with no idea of a release date.

I am by now means an economical expert or have much knowledge on that basis,but doesnt "Create Hype" or "Have Walmart stuff it into all their shops" require a huge,huge amount of $$$?

Thats why big guys like EA also can have tons of TV adverts,hire stars and reporters and game magazines to tell everyone how amazing the game is and why every 14 year old pro gamer has to get this "Most realistic combat sim ever produced". But people don't like EA and EA so far hasn't liked ArmA either because I see small publishers who support niche products publishing it.

That is the one thing I never understood about this OFP. Its base design is for the speciality/sim market yet everyone(including BIS) always wants to make it into a mainstream FPS game. Or even worse,some members of this forum also constantly claim ArmA and likewise products are destined for the casual console-gamers market.

For all I know,I could be wrong and probably am , but complex games like ArmA are not up everyones alley and I think us the loyal community have to stop to be suprised if the whole world doesn't die to get it.

Second thing, I always find it hillariously funny when BIA causes riot-like situations because they show what many people want in OFP/ArmA/NextGen in their videos.I wonder if they do it A) To piss off us poor people that can't afford it or if they B) want to show off what they do and BIS doesn't biggrin_o.gif

Even tho that Real-Time editor is probably not what many people think it is,it is sure sweet and I would love to get an 3D-Editor to move around sandbags and little units to their correct places with a patch in ArmA and not wait for Game2

yeah thats the funny thing. in australia there has been an alright response. its kinda cool because i got friends in aus who are BF jukies. i showed them flashpoint, there eyes literally exploded on to screen. they realised that here beauty wasnt the key, brains were. here was something that we could take what we had discussed in history and actually put it to the test. to date ive converted 4 bf junkies. yesterday i got an email from one of them (im currently in the states studying so i cant have my ofp fix) hes wondering when him and some of his new friends can get their hands on the game. so i suggest everyone try to get atleast 2 people hooked onto ofp or atleast into ArmA. then we'll see some hype