Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

if that so, i pray for BIS don't get any publishers smile_o.gif

don't want more fecking delays.. nor the community

That is so, I've been there and I wrote the text you're talking about.

Well, if they don't get a publisher, we'll maybe never see ArmA... tounge2.gif

Unless we... raid the BIS headquarters! pistols.gif

confusing to me is that pictures from game 2 and flashpoint 2 are the same, arnt they???

any help.gif ?

www.gamestar.de/aktuell/screenshots/PlayerPicList.jsp?galleryId=1113

www.bistudio.com/games/pc/PC4.jpg

Those are both screens of Game2, gamestar probably doesnt know that Ofp2 is now made by codemasters wink_o.gif

yup.

There will be:

Armed Assault (by BIS)

Game 2 (by BIS)

&

OFP2 (by Codemasters, "vietnam i think")

we'll maybe never see ArmA... tounge2.gif

hum.. how come?

Did you ever try to burn enough CDs to sell them 1 million times all over the world? wink_o.gif

hum.. how do they sell VBS1? VBS1 don't have publisher.. only developer..

VBS1 has been sold ~700 times via the online store (that's the number of registered users at least), so you can't really compare it (I don't know how they sold it to the Army/Marines/National Guard/IDF, probably not through the only store).

But that's why I said that w/o a publisher we'll maybe never see ArmA, it is possible to sell it w/o publisher, but w/ publisher it is way easier.

I've seen ads for VBS1 in Army mags here in Aus. Get a whole Page to itself, and its the first page. wink_o.gif

lot of people seems to understimate power of online digital delivery (self build or leased like Steam, Triton or Direct2Drive) ...

it's simpler and cheaper and keeps IP rights in hand of developers ...

success in that "distribution area" can turn tide in future discussion with normal "retail" publisher(s) ...

There are many people w/o connection or w/o regular connection. if HL2 would not use Steam, I would have bought it... and I have a regular connection.

Digital delivery is the future, however it will take another 5-10 years until it's really suited for the mainstream distribution.

Call me old fashioned but i like mine to come in a nice case with a lovley manual...Mainly because i can read the manual while it's installing....

Call me old fashioned but i like mine to come in a nice case with a lovley manual...Mainly because i can read the manual while it's installing....

Yep, that's my opinion, too. May PDFs be the future, books will be sold in the coming times, too, anyway.

Apart from lacking a good i-net connection and therefore unable to use such games, I have a problem with not having a DVD or CD a box and a manual. I like maps ! (BIS listen !wink_o.gif ) that i can unfold, pin above my desk and manuals that I can reffer to whenever I want and not only if I can alt-tab out of a game. The bigger the better.

I always wondered why there was no real OFP collector edition with things like that: A T-Shirt, a map of all Islands, a comprehensive Editing manual and things like that.

If ArAs would be sold online only it would be a problem for me.

Hmm, I'd love to see a 1:25,000 scale paper map of Sahrani made available. Would make navigation much easier, especially if it covered the island in the same detail as an OS Explorer Map

ah as usually seems like people missed part where i said

"digital delivery first" => made cash & reputation to "attract" GOOD publisher

> then release RETAIL (with manual) for all these old fashioned w/o broadband users ...

(typical example Red Orchestra OstFront 41-45)

oh well ...

goodnight.gif

> then release RETAIL (with manual) for all these old fashioned w/o broadband users ...

i totally agree with you wink_o.gif

ah as usually seems like people missed part where i said

(typical example Red Orchestra OstFront 41-45)

oh well ...

goodnight.gif

I can see your point-but i would want the game as soon as it's released but digital delivery would still put me off, so how many sales would be affected like that. Also in the example you provided (Orchestra OstFront) i would like to know the gap between digital and normal delivery. If it's a week i could live with that-but if it's a month or more then i would be left feeling hard done by...

Digital delivery is the future, however it will take another 5-10 years until it's really suited for the mainstream distribution.

Just too bad that most of the consumers of Armed Assault, won't have the connection download the game even in 5-10 years (and no doubt the size games increase to in that time), not to mention the developing world market which is RAPIDLY expanding, but do NOT have a connection thats likely tog et better anytime soon despite advances in internet connectivity.

It's bloody obviouse why people who post such on message boards do support internet distribution, they already have a connection.

10 Years ago we wouldn't have dreampt of downloading a game. Unfortunately the Developing world is further than 10 years behind! Let alone those that son't have time to surf looking for a game, unaware of it's existance, and pop into the local computer outlet looking for a cool new game.

Theres going to major probelms with signing contract agreements with small dev studios releasing their game to the world, if they want to distribute it online.

there are lots of people that have some sort of broadband connection where i live but i've heard that in usa that is very rare thing to have tounge2.gif but broadband is the future and i think its getting spread more and more. I think having access to internet should be just as important as it is to have water and electricity in your home. smile_o.gif

:P I still rather have a hard copy and the smell of fresh printed documents and manuals when you first open the box.

Yep! The digital delivery system is fine for an ideal world! But unfortunately it is true that many places around the world have a far from perfect connection network. I should be voting for DD as I have 8 meg broadband and it takes no time at all for me to download a game. But how many of you are so lucky?

The problem is that we need to play fair as much as possible whilst moving forward with new implementations. I'm all for DD so long as we can all still have a hard copy also. Like many others here I love my hard copies and paper manuals.

I also like to know that I have my game stored seperately away from my hard drives. I've lost count of the number of times I've had computers reformatted for one reason or another.  wink_o.gif

I am in favour of hard copy also. When someone asks me what games do i play, i proudly show them my GOTY copy. You can't beat that! notworthy.gif

I'm a hardcopy fan - I love poring through the manual until I can recite it off by heart (to the tune of "Ode to Joy"), THEN I install the game, sit back, and let my ~4 GHz P4 do the talking. biggrin_o.gif