Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

There will be no jumping in ArmA, but there will be an option to climb over obstacles like a fence etc.

Right, we had this statement in some of the interviews but can anyone (especially the guys that were at E3) confirm that there were some kind of climbing introduced? No trailers or screen show that feature so far.

Ti0n3r:

I am glad they will implement more of these animations. I haven't played CS for years (except for a few minutes a few times at a friends house). The community was poor as well as the game.

I'd like some info from you guys please.

Looking at the uniforms of the soldiers there seems to be a 3 colour desert pattern. If this is worn by the southern forces that would indicate the island to be mostly desert/barren enviroment. If they are worn by some US troops then that also would indicate a mostly desert enviroment. If this is the case what colour scheme would the vehicles of the US forces be.

abrams6vx.jpg

I've seen the recent screenshots of the M1 tank (i hope the crew are placeholders for the correct models)and i'm thinking is the colour pattern correct. I know ArmAss is set on a multi enviroment island but what would you guys think would be the best paint scheme for all US vehicles. Personally i would of prefered either sand or green, not the nato standard. I'm not bashing BIS in any way but imho the vehicles always seem to be the worst modeled and thought out. Examples of this are an M113 (outdated) and the Marine version Cobra. I know i'm judging an eary version of the game and where yet to see a final build version of the vehicle models but from past experiance i'm always dissapointed. VBS1 core included the exact same vehicle models from OFP Res. Too say i was dissapointed is an understatement. I will inevitably judge the final vehicles with that of the USARMY1 pack from VBS. If the models are inferior i will again feel let down.

By the way to compare the vehicles i will have to buy the game which i fully intend to do regardless.

PS: I know it's too late to change the colour now but i thought i'd just air my opinions.

They are there are on a training mission, why bother to repaint equipment under those circumstances?

They are there are on a training mission, why bother to repaint equipment under those circumstances?

The vast majoity of US tanks have been stationed in Iraq over the past four years thus sand colour. So it would be realistic that the tanks would be sand. If they were on a training mission they would of more than likely have been or are going to a "war zone". So the correct paint scheme would be needed.

Yeap,I'v seen abrams tanks with the woodland camo,hell,even humvee's with half nato and half desert. (usually nato hull and desert additions) Mostly a picture my dad sent me of a convoy...

I too wondered about the colors,why they were so light and not so dark,but thats not really all that important,I still think the T-72's look better than the M1A1 atm though.

The cobras are awkward, but the M113's must belong to the south Sahrani's.

Only thing about the AH-1Z that I see as being akward is how close the cockpit frame comes,ah well,probably not the same as the outside appareance.

So is there going to both Marines and Amry in ARMA becuase I've seen what looks like both ACU and Marine Desert pattern. Cobra, and M1a1s and no bradley so far.:hm:

The only people who still also use the M1a1 as pictured in the pictures is the USMC and the Army National Guard. From my experience in Iraq most national guard armored units left their woodland camo when they were first deployed to Iraq. Thats about the only type of unit I ever recall having woodland camo and being M1a1. Also in the video did it looked like to me that pilots in the cobra were wearing kevlars.

The m113 is still and will for a while be in use by the U.S. army also even though it offers as much protection on the sides as tin can. Cant complain to much though they did include the Stryker. yay.gif

A bit off topic but does anyone know if Pre Ordering will be possible for AA?

Yeah..I figure they are working on new pilot models or so,though they could use the ones from OFP:E,they were good..and there are the blackhawk pilos in the pics,unless their trying to give some variations. True about the USMC using em...though in terms of identification and I don't know if this is correct or not,however most USMC abrams pics I have seen have had the rearmost skirt piece removed and the smoke launchers are different,those are generally the biggest change...sometimes there also different guns mounted on the turret. Though if they make it too realistic then people are gonna be makin more civie mods. biggrin_o.gif.

"Yeah I was just fishin and whatnot when suddenly this BMP came out of nowhere,I was like. Oh shit son! And got my arse out of there." I duno....I'd like to say that because its a military game people will mostly focus on military,however there are those few that have made more civilian stuff such as grills and farm animals and whatnot. Indeed action is good and all but one of the things that made OFP special in my opinion is that you can go somewhere and sit peacefully while watching the sun set or so without the worry of somebody pegging you. I love it in OFP because you can sit around and listen to the nature such as the seagulls and the crickets and rattle snakes (or somethin) in the bushes....I can see AA is going the path of OFP:E in terms of enviroment,that is to mean it is more lively. Speaking of which...I'll be getting some pictures of OFP:E later today so that people without xbox's or so can see what the changes are,it may get a few of these little issues out of the way too,such as "just how much has collision been updated?" Or why the water appears like it does far away.

OFP:E pic info-

I will be demonstrating the enhanced lighting and if possible,get a video showing how it changes upon movement. I'll show how the tides and water changes work as well as enhanced collision detection. As well as the lively enviroment and some other things. Colors may be a bit distorted due to how the LCD panel shows it and whatnot. I'll provide a link to the threat once the stuff is ready and whatnot. Currently I'm trying to parachute onto a vehicle and then make the AI move it to see if I stay on,but so far I haven't had much luck...parachuting from a helicopter 15 feet in the air isnt really healthy if yaknow what I mean... banghead.gif

When we look at Sahrani Google Earth picture we'll see that only small southern part of it is desert. I think it's quite logical to have woodland camo on vehicles wink_o.gif. Some exaples from Iraq:

Abrams

tank02.jpg

Bradley

20050221_SN_bradley_iraqPJ_450.jpg

and of course Stryker

samara-stryker.jpg

But I'm sure our great community will make nice desert paintings in few days after release anyway smile_o.gif.

"Indeed action is good and all but one of the things that made OFP special in my opinion is that you can go somewhere and sit peacefully while watching the sun set or so without the worry of somebody pegging you. "

I completely agree with this. The thing I love most about OFP is your 'freedom' of choice.

You can follow a group or decide to go at it alone if you feel they're headed for disaster.

- You can choose to go on foot or steal someones car if you prefer. tounge2.gif

- You can, as was said, sit around and waittill the sun goes down if you feel that improves your chances.

- You can also explore areas outside of the mission zone and find weapons/vehicles the mission author had placed there for just such an event.

- I REALLY hope AA will maintain this aspect of the game and not end missions if you 'disobey' or place invisible barriers on the map to limit your movement.

Does anyone know more on this?

Maybe the re-inforcements comming to the island are marines? who knows.

I could be wrong but on the 15 or 16 minute interview where the guy is piloting the cobra,I believe he said something about being able to go outside of mission boundries without much worry...course I could be wrong...Usually in OFP when I went out of the boundry I found a group of russian forces or a tank waiting for me x.x.......

Hmm...wonder what happens if ya do that in real life military...discharged or?

Reinforcements? Hmmm...I thought the Marines would be the first ones to go in...like the Marines would send a small force and make a base with LZ's that are classified to be shown,and the Cobra's may have done some reconnasense (mispeled badly..I know...I need sleep..) and when they saw that large Russian force they gave word and the Army came in and they can show some pics....then again..if iirc,our friend William Porter got in trouble for posting pictures of the small convoy and the blackhawks at a small airbase. I have a funny feeling BIS is definatly keeping secrets,interview said 40 vehicles and yet we have seen..........cobra..blackhawk..stryker..bmp2...ural russian..ural civy...5ton..two humvees..Mi-17 and others,say what..15 or so at max? I definatly think their hiding stuff from us,to say there would be 40 vehicles and simply give that many for certain would be like a death wish. Which might also explain why we see marine cobra's but no marines,maybe they are somewhat scarce on the island and the army are the only forces allowed to release photos. I could be wrong but I just find it hard to believe that marine cobra's would be there without other marine units.

As for the Russian forces..the blog has provided us with the most recent pictures right? And the US forces are there to help and all that..and Russian forces or something are preparing to invade,well if you were preparing an invasion or attack,would you show pictures of your forces? It would be rather foolish wouldn't it? Whereas US forces..or the army forces may be oblivious to this,and thus are releasing some pictures but nothing too confidential,mostly a patrol or two,and the marines might be a bit more weary and suspecting so they naturally wouldn't release much to any info.

Once again this is just speculation and a possible reason as to why we see marine cobra's but no marines and very few Russian forces.

Speaking of Cobras... would be cool if there was the odd snake to dispose of hehe

Quote[/b] ]Hmm...wonder what happens if ya do that in real life military...discharged or?

During wartime you usually get shot by your commanding officer.

Quote[/b] ]As for the Russian forces..the blog has provided us with the most recent pictures right? And the US forces are there to help and all that..and Russian forces or something are preparing to invade,well if you were preparing an invasion or attack,would you show pictures of your forces? It would be rather foolish wouldn't it? Whereas US forces..or the army forces may be oblivious to this,and thus are releasing some pictures but nothing too confidential,mostly a patrol or two,and the marines might be a bit more weary and suspecting so they naturally wouldn't release much to any info.

There aren't any russians on the island.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm...wonder what happens if ya do that in real life military...discharged or?

During wartime you usually get shot by your commanding officer.

Quote[/b] ]As for the Russian forces..the blog has provided us with the most recent pictures right? And the US forces are there to help and all that..and Russian forces or something are preparing to invade,well if you were preparing an invasion or attack,would you show pictures of your forces? It would be rather foolish wouldn't it? Whereas US forces..or the army forces may be oblivious to this,and thus are releasing some pictures but nothing too confidential,mostly a patrol or two,and the marines might be a bit more weary and suspecting so they naturally wouldn't release much to any info.

There aren't any russians on the island.

Rarely. Though I bet they have the right and authority to do that, I dont think a commanding officer has shot someone since maybe Vietnam.

Also, we don't know if there are no Russians on the island

Also, we don't know if there are no Russians on the island

Why would there be russians on Sahrani?

Why would there be russians on Sahrani?

Why would there be Americans?

is this a river or a small island below a big island and joined with bridges and sea runs between ?

are the north and south islands that close :0 ??

video

The faux 'google earth' image shows it in detail:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6348/sahranigoogleearth3ft.jpg

Look at the main city at the bottleneck area. It does appear that it might seperate the two areas of land.

I don't recognise that image which video is that from?

Doubt it's a river though, certainly not the type of river I want to see.

hmm it dosent end on the right ,it carries on, i watched it again and , it snakes thru the desert to the right.

the video is from the gameplay interview with victor bocan. its from the 15th of may.