Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

you are not obliged to reply to every post here. so if you think it would bring undue attention, don't reply.

second, this is not the only thread you talked about campaigns. I think it is suffice to say that there are places to talk about it and there are places not to do so.

and the warning, although directed mostly at you, also is directed at everyone else too.

second, it you have questions about moderating please use "ask a mod thread' - link is in my sig.

This may prove important as the engine will allow somewhere around 50-60 characters in each battle.

Its probably the same as in OFP, battles with 50+ characters are very tough for your PC to handle, altough you can have more, its not good for your FPS and BIS will probably try to avoid it in their campaign, in user missions you can do whatever you want ofcourse  wink_o.gif

(In short: BIS missions will probably not have battles with much more then 60 men in the same fight, altough there will be others on the map who may reinforce etc.., it was like a bit like this in OFP, but i thinm that BIS never used more then 40 units in a battle back then)

I tell ya, it's an ambigous composition thingy. They say "the engine will allow... 50-60 characters..." If you're right (I hope so) it would be better to say "the engine will allow 3 zillion characters but creating more than 60 will f@ck your CPU".   smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This may prove important as the engine will allow somewhere around 50-60 characters in each battle.

Its probably the same as in OFP, battles with 50+ characters are very tough for your PC to handle, altough you can have more, its not good for your FPS and BIS will probably try to avoid it in their campaign, in user missions you can do whatever you want ofcourse  wink_o.gif

(In short: BIS missions will probably not have battles with much more then 60 men in the same fight, altough there will be others on the map who may reinforce etc.., it was like a bit like this in OFP, but i thinm that BIS never used more then 40 units in a battle back then)

I tell ya, it's an ambigous composition thingy. They say "the engine will allow... 50-60 characters..." If you're right (I hope so) it would be better to say "the engine will allow 3 zillion characters but creating more than 60 will f@ck your CPU".   smile_o.gif

Well, there is no reason to change the current limit right? (4×64×12=3072?)

Also, if the missions are supposed to be longer then they will probably need more then 60 units anyway  wink_o.gif

@ZiiiP: That can also be the weapon sway smile_o.gif

while looking at improved map interface i just got hit by question and idea...

If You are commanding units on field are waypoints flexible?

(yesterday i was watching Supreme Commander E3_2006 videos and noticed these "fully dynamic changeable waypoints" ) what that mean? ...

well let say You have waypoint e.g. for patrol between A, B, C, D points for helicopter.

Now let say You want change the C - D route you just simple move mouse over and drag&drop them to new location and helicopter adjust (after radio transmittion) theirs patrol checkpoints to new ones ...

if not i really wish someone consider such option to add (should be easy smile_o.gif

thats something i would like to see. but they should limit it to the mission area only.

LEts remember guys...the game is in Alpha stage...and this game is really supposed to be OFP 1.5 or 1.7. The real thing we should be looking and trying to make a difference in is Game 2...idk lets see what you think...

LOL thats the worst marketing trick you can ever do.

Sorry guys this isn't a competely new game. Its an upgrade of a game we released 5 years ago. And our real next game will be release in 2 years. Not only will BIS become a big joke in the game industry if there excuse that this is flashpoint 1.5. It will also scare people away for there next game.

It's not a full price game, what do you want? It's Operation Flashpoint, you are already in possesion of the game. It's only some optimization, get it? So the game should run smoother on your computer with better multiplayer. Other then that it is the same OFP you have. (Well some upgrades like kinetics - which should make tank combat a bit more interesting btw - and further improved modding options are what you get in addition)

BIS didn't even plan to make this game, it's just a little something for those who still like flashpoint and still want to play it until G2 comes out. It's not the next big thing BIS is doing.

It's not a full price game, what do you want? It's Operation Flashpoint, you are already in possesion of the game. It's only some optimization, get it? So the game should run smoother on your computer with better multiplayer. Other then that it is the same OFP you have. (Well some upgrades like kinetics - which should make tank combat a bit more interesting btw - and further improved modding options are what you get in addition)

BIS didn't even plan to make this game, it's just a little something for those who still like flashpoint and still want to play it until G2 comes out. It's not the next big thing BIS is doing.

At least it will have the Elite improvements. I'm just a little bummed out since they optimized the engine and rebuilt the engine on a clean slate.

The already finished improvements are still really cool.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry guys this isn't a competely new game. Its an upgrade of a game we released 5 years ago. And our real next game will be release in 2 years. Not only will BIS become a big joke in the game industry if there excuse that this is flashpoint 1.5. It will also scare people away for there next game.

Well that's pretty ridiculous if you consider what are considered new games on the game market today, Call of Duty 2 for example, and the cash-cow NHL series coming every year, IL2 series which is essentially same game engine from 2000 and has spanned 'new games' like Forgotten Battles and then expansions all these years. Don't get me started on Civilizations, RTS games or the Sims series. The list is endless, yet these clones are considered new games in their own right.

If improved gfx engine, improved physics, new campaign and missions, improved multiplayer, new huge island, new units, countless gameplay changes and others dont constitute a new game worthy of a separate title then what does?

The big joke that's left is your opinion here.

Anyone here happy about the mid game character switching? I love it. It's a great idea. Case in point...I hate the following:

Sniping

Stealth Missions

So, say if it was in a campaign. The missions changed from being a stealth mission to a sniping mission to a tank mission. That sucked ass because I couldnt skip the stupid dumb Stealth crap, or Sniping crap to what I like. In this game, I'll be able to have every mission with what I like. This is a kickass idea, and I love it.

Neat way to look at it. If ya don't feel like playing that part, ya don't have to! (though I'll probably tough it out the first time and make the best of my situation, whatever the unit) biggrin_o.gif

If improved gfx engine, improved physics, new campaign and missions, improved multiplayer, new huge island, new units, countless gameplay changes and others dont constitute a new game worthy of a separate title then what does?

hehehe notworthy.gif

-Ziggy- @ May 15 2006,23:12)]

hehehe       notworthy.gif

It could be called a stand-alone expansion pack, though that's a terrible accusation, if you look at the Sims 2.

Anyone here happy about the mid game character switching? I love it. It's a great idea. Case in point...I hate the following:

Sniping

Stealth Missions

So, say if it was in a campaign. The missions changed from being a stealth mission to a sniping mission to a tank mission. That sucked ass because I couldnt skip the stupid dumb Stealth crap, or Sniping crap to what I like. In this game, I'll be able to have every mission with what I like. This is a kickass idea, and I love it.

they destroyed the singleplayer with that feature crazy_o.gif

Sniping

Stealth Missions

they destroyed the singleplayer with that feature  crazy_o.gif

Aggreed, Mr dachrinne! In OFP you can get a mission: destroy enemy base. Okay, but you only have a suppressed SMG. (Unrealistic, but it's OFP, and could be avoided by good mission design.) What to do? You can stalk in, silently kill them one by one ('cause the "we don't see our fallen comrades" AI), but if you make one mistake, the whole base will open up on you, so you're focked. But if you hate the stealthy way (like me), you can kill the guards of a guardpost, not too far from the base, then grab an SVD from a body, and start a sniping season. Or you can steal a tank from a tank park nearby, then bombard the base with AP rounds, from the distance. OR you can steal a chopper from an arfield, etc. etc. etc. Many ways, many possibilities, freedom! BUT if all you have to do is simply hitting "switch character" button, it will destroy the mood, the feel of risk, the immersion.

Part 2 of the ArmA interview at IGN is here.

For those who are lazy and dont want to read this topic backwards - part 1 here.

Sniping

Stealth Missions

they destroyed the singleplayer with that feature  crazy_o.gif

listion mate. There not forcing you to change in a game. Its just a option. You can keep playing as who you start as wink_o.gif

Nice conclusion to the IGN interview. It seems this game is going to be huge in every sense of the word.

I think I need to be the voice of reason about the "character switching" feature.

This new feature is great and has no drawbacks as far as I can tell. As Batdog just wrote, it is an "option".

To the people who dread being presented with this new option, if/when you get killed and you are presented with the switch character box, (this is my genius tip, get ready) PRESS the Escape key!!!!! quit and start the mission again thumbs-up.gif

" The main campaign of Armed Assault will last for approximately 20 hours."

I think that's pretty nice, longer than a lot other games. smile_o.gif

DCRRP (dynamic command, response and reply protocols)

I like the sound of this. smile_o.gif