Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Yeah I was going to say 'OMG, look at the water!!!' but then I remembered that these are probably really old pics...  wink_o.gif

But what if this water is final version  icon_rolleyes.gif

Then I would commit ritual suicide... pistols.gif

Yeah I was going to say 'OMG, look at the water!!!' but then I remembered that these are probably really old pics... wink_o.gif

But what if this water is final version icon_rolleyes.gif

Nah, you can see a better sea on one of the other pics.

show me...

http://games.tiscali.cz/previews/armedassault/img6.jpg

Looks great imo, same for ground and sky textures, lighting and units.

I think people would be more impressed if the pics were of better quality (high rez and antialiasing), overall i like what i see alot more than anything else out there smile_o.gif .

Yeah I was going to say 'OMG, look at the water!!!' but then I remembered that these are probably really old pics...  wink_o.gif

show me...

I think people would be more impressed if the pics were of better quality (high rez and antialiasing), overall i like what i see alot more than anything else out there smile_o.gif .

So, only thing which make this sea better than sea on other pics is light reflecting... and that's all. It's not enough ...

show me...

So, only thing which make this sea better than sea on other pics is light reflecting... and that's all. It's not enough ...

Yep! I have to agree that is still a pretty shit sea for a modern shooter! Also where is the grass in this shot, how old is this shot? I'm pretty sure there must have been many improvements since this shot was taken! Looks more like OFP with a sea texture addon to me!  tounge2.gif

New ArmA screens with sea views pls!  whistle.gif

Yeah I was going to say 'OMG, look at the water!!!' but then I remembered that these are probably really old pics... wink_o.gif

But what if this water is final version icon_rolleyes.gif

show me...

Here you go. biggrin_o.gif

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/aramatiscal2.jpg

See? It's a lot better on that one.

One thing which would be interesting for me:

BIS, please show us something, which wasn't already in OFP and done by the community. Nearly everything we see has already been in OFP and in most cases it even looked the same... (Well, except the shadows).

Pleassseeee confused_o.gif

Look here, i play OFPE 3+ months, i have missions with boats, and there ARE waves. Hell, when it is storming you nearly fall overboard. (Also tides ... come back a few hours later and the sealevel has changed:)

So, waves in OFPE mean waves in ArmA i should think. Proper waves. I don't see them in those pics.

And yes, real waves are super cool:) ... the immersion factor again is raised.

PS: I played a mission in which a heli was shot down over sea. The crew jumped and drowned. When i visited the beach later in the mission, one of the crew members was lying on the beach at the floodline. Now that is incredible!

show me...

Here you go. biggrin_o.gif

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/aramatiscal2.jpg

See? It's a lot better on that one.

it's better? I don't see difference icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway it's nice water but should be better...

Look here, i play OFPE 3+ months, i have missions with boats, and there ARE waves. Hell, when it is storming you nearly fall overboard. (Also tides ... come back a few hours later and the sealevel has changed:)

So, waves in OFPE mean waves in ArmA i should think. Proper waves. I don't see them in those pics.

And yes, real waves are super cool:) ... the immersion factor again is raised.

PS: I played a mission in which a heli was shot down over sea. The crew jumped and drowned. When i visited the beach later in the mission, one of the crew members was lying on the beach at the floodline. Now that is incredible!

HEY, in OFPE, can you interact with the water, or do you just die? crazy_o.gif

That sounds very interesting, do corpses float or was it the tide who send it to the beach?

Look, why don't ya all down my vid cap of a ofpe mission 'Lighthouse' @ http://www.maxqubit.nl/ofpe-lighthouse-trailer.avi (45MB)

You will see proper waves and the dead guy washed ashore at 5m45s in the trailer (well perhaps it was another dead guy, after inspecting the vid;). This is OFPE stuff so expect equal or better than this quality in ArmA.

Bottom line imho there are/will be proper waves in ArmA.

Better still, why don't you just check out OFPE (or as i call it ArmA-lite) ... one of a very few very rare occasions where a console version is actually better than a pc version:)

Looking at the Tiscali CZ website and not knowing how to speak czech is my googling correct in that this, Očekávané

datum vydání - červen 2006, means due in June 2006?

edit: apparently this forum doesn't display czech characters crazy_o.gif

Crap now I actually have to watch my aim. Anyone know what kind of building that is behind the trees on the left? It looks like the deserty looking destroyed ones from kolgujev.

I ditto that kb/s, thanks for the mirror ! yay.gif

the third times' a charm

now having just watched it, I must say, aside from the console controller that I dislike, I am willing to agree that OFPE is just grand!

I thought you seemed a little clumsy working though the command menus, I wonder how much of that is controller related. wink_o.gif

thanks again for the mirror inlove.gif

I think the menu with the controller is done very, very good! But of course there are so many possibilities that you sometimes have to navigate more than you would wish.

So, i think the controller/menu thing can't be bettered but i will agree that a keyboard will give you much quicker access to menuitems.

Apart from that i LOVE the controller. It is so versitile. I know kb+m aims quicker but OFP(E) is more about tactics and thinking than about 'aiming quick' so it poses no problem for me. And in fact you fly a heli much better with a controller than with kb+m.

As i said. Regard OFP:E as ArmA-lite and you start to have an idea what fab ArmA will be:):)

Thanks for that trailer of Elite maxqubit wink_o.gif .  That's the first time I've seen the waves in Elite up close and I must say they don't look bad at all, and a huge improvement on the original OFP effects. Are there nice sound effects with those waves - like in real life?

The laws of progress would state that things can only get better!   smile_o.gif

Heatseeker. Nah, i think i was wrong there. There was already a dead comrade on the shore. Bodies don't float i think, but boats of course DO:) and they will float away by the waves and/or the wind (i'm not sure if both have influence) if left alone. Also i left some soldiers on an island only to find them drowned because the sealevel had risen because of the tide.

All in all in OFPE the AI has trouble with water aspects. Drowning, not able to land properly with a boat, etc. I hope ArmA will improve this, because e.g. AI landing with boats is quite cool.

But already in OFPE the water aspect is done quite good. Make a night mission, in bad weather and play invasion/insertion with a boat ... it is fun, the waves. You nearly throw up:)

@Red Kite ... sounds? I really don't notice, which can be a good sign. If you don't notice it it is because it is probably like real. So yes i think there are nice wave/water sounds ... i will check it:)

i like the playground. Something as simple as that adds so much immersion...it makes the area seem like a real, evacuated city where people were living as opposed to a collection of buildings placed on a map for combat zone purposes.

i like the playground. Something as simple as that adds so much immersion...it makes the area seem like a real, evacuated city where people were living as opposed to a collection of buildings placed on a map for combat zone purposes.

I agree. All of the islands in the origianl felt a bit void of human life. The playground adds atmos.

...Do you think there will be children in the game? Or at least diferent sized men/women (short, fat, tall etc)...?

The playground is a great example of something to give a town its individual character and something that could become a bit annoying if used all over the place.

So use sparingly BIS, or use lots of variations.

A theme park is probably OTT though.