Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

hmmm, does not look bad, but not very good either.

The screenshot with a tank in the woods - it looks exactly like the old one, both trees and the vehicle.

The viewdistance looks nice, but i don't think that more than 5% of players could afford it in game, becuase it sure will be very resource hungry.

And the animations... hmmm, judging from the screenshots i don't see ANY improvements at all - changes, yes, maybe, but no improvements.

And what makes me sad is that you people are again crawling up the big BIS ass. It's not that good.

EDIT: and the article doesn't mention anything about better scripting possibilities - which is the most important thing.

@5133p39: I say it so. I think ArmA was never createt to be a partII of OFP. ArmA is more an single project between Ofp1 and Ofp2 to give the comunity a new game and BIS more time for ofpII. I think so. No one is crawling up BIS in the ass wink_o.gif I belive the most are happy that a new game come after more than four yaers;)

PS: you don't need to buy ArmA if you think it's soo bad.

@BIS: how do handle that with the backward compatibility with stuff from Ofp/RES. Is it possible to use the/in OFP/Res createt missions/islands/addons converting to ArmA?

What is going to happen wehn the demo comes out? Do you think anyone will try to convert the arma addons to ofp1? biggrin_o.gif strange question I know whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ] Armed Assault is now planned to be released in H1 2006.

I assume H1 means first half.  So that really means Q2, which really means June 31!  LOL.

H1 starts next month but who cares if it delayed to June? Do you think that they keep it on the shelf until the date it get's released? No, they will keep on working on it which means that we'll get a better game. LOL confused_o.gif

Look at a rushed product too for example BF2: SF, some people can't even install the game wink_o.gif I'd rather wait for a good tested product.

I think it looks great, those who claim it doesnt look better than OPFR need an eye check or something whistle.gif .

Arma 1

Arma 4

Arma 7

I see ofcourse room for some improvements/adjustments but overall it looks well above OPFR in every possible way.

Terrain, models, shadows, textures, lighting, etc, then the list of improvements is even more appealing to those who use the game for more than combat photography...

It looks like a game2 to me compared to OPFR smile_o.gif .

edit:

Quote[/b] ]Campaign s setting and events inspired by real world events, military strategies and political doctrines.

Updated controls and command interface.

There is alot for us to speculate about too wink_o.gif .

aah while viewing the first pic, I can just imagine hearing the birds tweet, bees buzzing, and the wildlife going about their daily business, then all of a sudden gunshots and tanks rolling out of nowhere, etc yay.gif

somone said he thinks water is worse than DXDLL addon ...

you missed this are real waves ...

someone said no improvements in anims ...

you missed that guy with machine gun seems to "holding" it correct

someone said article is missing info about scripting improvements

you missed

Quote[/b] ]

Open game architecture.

Building on top of the successful Operation Flashpoint addon and modding support.

Built-in scenario editor.

Versatile object/vehicle animation system.

Many useful scripting functions.

Mission wizards enable missions to be played with any addons.

someone said such view distance will be too power hungry ...

you missed old OFP/OFPR was not utilizing DX9 performance tweaks (not even DX8.1)

someone said he don't see any improvements ...

you need glasses as just from screenshots released at progress page it's visible there are numerous changes into rendering engine ...

Quote[/b] ]somone said he thinks water is worse than DXDLL addon ...

you missed this are real waves ...

I don't see any waves in the new pics only a flat texture

There are real waves.

Elite has them afaik, so....

But the waves look bad in the screenie yes...

Maybe it is so because its lod coded or something, i agree with those who posted that the breakers or crests or wathever their called in english dont look very good, waves break close to shore, it should be improved, i think the xbox result looked better smile_o.gif .

Maybe it is so because its lod coded or something, i agree with those who posted that the breakers or crests or wathever their called in english dont look very good, waves break close to shore, it should be improved, i think the xbox result looked better smile_o.gif .

It's still WIP and the current water shown in the pic might be in very early stage of development. There's no reason why they couldn't just take the same water as xbox uses unless they actually work on something better.

What is going to happen wehn the demo comes out? Do you think anyone will try to convert the arma addons to ofp1? biggrin_o.gif strange question I know whistle.gif

maybe

What is going to happen wehn the demo comes out? Do you think anyone will try to convert the arma addons to ofp1?  biggrin_o.gif  strange question I know   whistle.gif

maybe

No, everyone will remove OPF, play the demo 10000 times, post feedback all over the place and go crazy waiting for full game release xmas_o.gif .

It's still WIP and the current water shown in the pic might be in very early stage of development. There's no reason why they couldn't just take the same water as xbox uses unless they actually work on something better.

I agree with you there smile_o.gif .

Look at a rushed product too for example BF2: SF, some people can't even install the game wink_o.gif I'd rather wait for a good tested product.

You have got to be kidding me. 5 years in developement and you think it's being rushed. wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Gordy Posted on Dec. 03 2005,13:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have got to be kidding me. 5 years in developement and you think it's being rushed.  

Kinda hard to say, when they're doing something that's not been done before.  wink_o.gif

BTW, didya' look at the detail on the oil pump and the littlebirds?  They have everything else, and they throw in detailed model LOD's.. Must be some awesome optimizations. wow_o.gif

lol nice one wink_o.gif

edit: oh oh over 100kbs *hears distant sound of moderators footsteps* tounge2.gif

You know, when the say H1 of 2006, that simply means any time before the 1st of July, so we don't necessarily have another six months to wait...just try to be optimistic!

Quote[/b] ]someone said article is missing info about scripting improvements

Quote[/b] ]

Many useful scripting functions.

Wow, no there is the definitive scripting info that everyone was interested in... icon_rolleyes.gifgoodnight.gif

Your own sentence tells almost as much about scripting in ArmA as the part you quoted.

First no scripting changes and now ''many'', delays do seem to have some advantages...

randomised (or simply larger) bumpmapmaps for the ground would be nice, but a little heavy on the system (more data to store / read).

Something that I can see is that they use the Res. pilotanimations.

Not that I give an awfull lot, but two hands on the stick would be nice (hahaha... mad_o.gif )

You have got to be kidding me. 5 years in developement and you think it's being rushed. wow_o.gif

Hello? I'm talking about Battlefield 2 Special Forces not OFP. crazy_o.gif

Not that I give an awfull lot, but two hands on the stick would be nice (hahaha... mad_o.gif )

That's not very realistic, the left hand is usually on the cyclic controls (to control pitch and roll) whistle.gif

Guest major gandhi
Modified screenshot.... res water, brightness toned down on buildings

[ig]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/col_kurtz79/aa-res.jpg[/ig]

from up there it looks really better with res-water textures. The water may look great from close up but I hope they get some better textures on it and manage ot only have breakers closely near the coast.

I know it may look different ingame but when I compare the island on the screens with islands like the excellent BDM islands (Lorient, Avignon & Saint David) I'd prefer the Res islands (concerning the ground textures, houses and the overall look).

To much brown, looks like a mud-field and the ground textures are too repetitive.

Concerning the view distance, atm I'm running ofp with 1000m and high terrain detail and still get decent fps. I hope with Armed Assault it'll be possible to have high ground detail with 2000m viewdistance as standard. On most screens we've seen, ground detail seems to be low-normal (in resistance terms).

DO NOT QUOTE IAMGES!