Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

I'm from Gaming Area, we received a GC Press Kit months ago for evaluation, although, I decided against writing the preview at that time because I would be previewing a product that's in mid development. smile_o.gif

Somehow them finding the door doesnt quite suprise me,I think some of em are trying to give the game a bad name.

Whoever does the radio sounds needs to find other voice actors, who are more motivated. Since when has BIS lost the quality of getting the voices right? In OFP the radio and 'say' sounds were pretty good, getting the atmosphere just right. In OFP:Elite they replaced all the radio and say sounds, with Aussies or Brits trying to talk American. It's horrible and instantly unappealing.

And in that video, when I heard the dude yelling "Go go go." I felt like running away rather than staying, finding cover and shooting back.

And I agree with all the points Jinef made. The machine gun is apparently a very feathery weapon.

In any case, just hope BIS will leave lots of room for the addon community to maneuver in, such as in sound, scripting, eventhandlers, AI, weapon ballistics and animations.

The video has some very nice sounds, however it also demonstrates some other things -

Infantry are easily mobile on a 45 degree slope ....

When standing and leaning, there is no weapon sway which is highly unrealistic.

When firing from a standing and leaning position, recoil seems to do nothing, which is also highly unrealistic.

AI seem to react to enemy fire as effectively as a roast potato would.

Yes, there is weapon sway and recoil when firing while leaning. You could argue that it should be increased, but it's there in the Cynamite video. Look again guys.

The soldiers on the hill aren't that mobile either. The soldiers heading uphill were crawling and the one that was standing was walking downhill.

Sounds, while not perfect, do show significant improvement from OFP and Elite. And really, that's all we should have expected from Armed Assault.

Quote[/b] ]Many of ArmA buildings are enterable, the reviewers just couldn't find the entrance via: Door, closed and they have just written off building as not enterable. There are a lot of side entrances to a building, most of them leading to a roof or a balcony, there are a few that are not enterable, but the ones that are, provide more than solid cover. Even the mysterious attic of a certain CWC building is now accessible via ladder

That`s very interesting.I find it odd because if the buildings would be enterable they would have windows but I have yet to see such buildings in any of the screenshots or videos except for the hotel.Can you link an example for me to media that shows this or have you played a beta version of ArmA and have hands on knwoledge.

Many original buildings from the CWC islands were rebuilt for Arma, houses, barns and even the big hostinec we could find in Montignac and Saint Pierre amongst others, this makes me very happy because i would miss some of those buildings and it will allow people to bring the old islands to Arma.

I am positive i saw them in pictures, im also positive that there will be plenty of enterable buildings, obviously not most but plenty smile_o.gif .

I hope someone makes a cold war mod for armed assault with nato and russian equipment from the 80's smile_o.gif .

i think i've heard some of the csla and rhs and maybe some more guys are planning a germany 85 mod so i think your wish wil lcome true some day Heatseeker smile_o.gif hahah rofl about game journalists that couldnt find the doors to open rofl.gif

well phuh then i can rest easy knowing i have some nice roofs and windows and houses to explore and ambush and defend myself from thumbs-up.gif

i think i've heard some of the csla and rhs and maybe some more guys are planning a germany 85 mod so i think your wish wil lcome true some day Heatseeker smile_o.gif

Oh yes, a very exciting project but not what i was thinking about wink_o.gif .

if he are lucky we may get the demo today

would be cool

I think you need to read the forums more. Then you would know the demo is weeks away, as already mentioned.

The AI seems nice enough, it's unscripted, has to be applicable to a bunch of different areas, so duh it's gonna be stupid.

Plus the footage was too short to tell if the gun sways or not.

Voice acting prolly went like this: get 5 guys to say "that" "all" "board" "1,2... 59, 60" "engage" "attack" "move" "to" "that" "a", done. If you do it any other way you can chalk up another DVD to put the game on and that doubles production costs. :P

This game was made by what? 10 guys at most. About VBS2 being so great... yea cause the USMC can buy itself some supercomputers to run it on.

Yes, there is weapon sway and recoil when firing while leaning.  You could argue that it should be increased, but it's there in the Cynamite video.  Look again guys.

I watched the video a few more times but i really didnt notice it, all the small movements by the gun seemed to be player controlled... crazy_o.gif

I didn't really notice the sway, but there's definitely recoil kicking in.

thing is : it's the same recoil system than old OFP sad_o.gif All in the vertical, no horizontal component, and weapon comes back exactly at start point after recoil animation has stopped.

I'd say, there's no reason BIS remove features from OFP (I don't believe in them dumbing it down for the masses, it's not their spirit), so we should at least get recoils and weapon sway we had in OFP, just too bad they didn't improve them

Everything looks really good in that video although bit sad to see with the death animation the gun melting into the ground

bootneckofficer

Whoever does the radio sounds needs to find other voice actors, who are more motivated. Since when has BIS lost the quality of getting the voices right? In OFP the radio and 'say' sounds were pretty good, getting the atmosphere just right. In OFP:Elite they replaced all the radio and say sounds, with Aussies or Brits trying to talk American. It's horrible and instantly unappealing.

And in that video, when I heard the dude yelling "Go go go." I felt like running away rather than staying, finding cover and shooting back.

And I agree with all the points Jinef made. The machine gun is apparently a very feathery weapon.

In any case, just hope BIS will leave lots of room for the addon community to maneuver in, such as in sound, scripting, eventhandlers, AI, weapon ballistics and animations.

ok so now we have got our modders the very first mission:

to bring back the good old OFP voice ASAP (for our ears sakes) biggrin_o.gif

Speak for yourself! The new voices speak much faster and don't have the odd, poorly accented sound of OFP. I also like the beeping sound. While it may not be the "perfect" solution we've all hoped for, it is, imo again, a big step up from the voices in OFP.

- dRb

P.S. It is defintably going to be moddable again, so I guess everyone could have their preferences as long as the names of the voices in the .bin were not changed

Speak for yourself! The new voices speak much faster and don't have the odd, poorly accented sound of OFP. I also like the beeping sound. While it may not be the "perfect" solution we've all hoped for, it is, imo again, a big step up from the voices in OFP.

- dRb

P.S. It is defintably going to be moddable again, so I guess everyone could have their preferences as long as the names of the voices in the .bin were not changed

may be it just me, but i feel more like that someone is saying broken english from so far i saw in Arma, i just dont feel it is too odd, poorly accented in ofp, which i find that in Arma(remember its cody doing the voice act thing, not BIS like this time)

It's of course up to personal preference but I just feel like everyone in OFP sounds like American cowboys.  I picture some guy to just scream, "YEEHAW! Let's kill us some commies!"  biggrin_o.gif However, I can also see the "teen-ish-ness" in ArmA's radio chatter that everyone else is speaking of. No matter though as we don't purchase the game just to listen to radio chatter!

- dRb

I like the voices. They're less Hollywood war film and more information-age-journalist-embedded-in-Iraq-with-a-DV-cam.

They have a modern feel. They do sound weedy in places. If you've seen combat footage from Iraq via Youtube..you'll quickly realise that most soldiers are average guys - who happen to be soldiers, and are placed into difficult situations, and don't all sound like hardened war vets.

Whether BIS was intending this, is another matter. I didn't hear anything that warrants the "poor voice acting" label.

there is no main character crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

i can remeber.. i became liutanant.. and the guy talk to him self... " yeah liutanant sounds good"

or somoebody finds a word starting with G .. and Koslavski .. Jeep.. ahahaha ..

HAHA of man those radio sounds are halarious, im sorry but i loved the gritty, distorted radio from OFP.. and i swear one of those troops sounded at least 16.. no offence or anything.

I really loved that "sounds" video Astonishing. I actually like the voices better, sure the "stitching" (linking between phrases) was weak, but imo the voice acting sounded much better.

The ambient sounds and footsteps were awesome!

What do 'hardened veterans' sound like, btw? People's voices don't deepen as they get combat experience... Chomping cigars can only do so much wink_o.gif ...or do you think that everyone with a high or grainy voice is killed off first, leaving only the thick, smooth baritones and gravelly tenors to sound tough over the radio?