Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Elite was a remake OFP. ArmA will obviously be a whole new game. The days when we could say "ArmA is Elite with a new island and a new campaign" are over. thumbs-up.gif

Well, they took <s>did took/take</s> Elites engine, improved it even more, and then made ArmA...  wink_o.gif

<s>EDIT:Please correct me, is it did took, did take, or something else? Its confusing...  tounge2.gif</s>

English is evil...  rofl.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
Question: I think I read somewhere(dont remember where) that the original

plans to include the original OFP campaigns have been canceled? Anyone know something more about this?

Yes, that's true. But they might release islands, campaigns etc later on, as a free addon*.

*unofficial rumor

plans to include the original OFP campaigns have been canceled? Anyone know something more about this?

Yes, that's true. But they might release islands, campaigns etc later on, as a free addon.

Not if Codemasters still have the rights on them... wink_o.gif

Don't get me started on 'poor' OFP:E. C'mon it is a stunning title (and reviewers??? a lot of them are just gfx junkies).

If only OFP:E was recompiled on 360 (meaning 3x the resolution, 3x the viewdistance and 3x the construction points) and released as such it would have been a heck of a game.

The only thing which would put off some would have been the character models and animations. (and a tad more polish to the mission editor would have been nice)

It is really a shame that such a title had such bad luck. Now i can only dream of a 360 version of ArmA.

Guest Ti0n3r

Maybe the Jordan Man Derek will strike again. Time will tell, let's hope for the best wink_o.gif

Maybe Jordan Man Derek will strike again. Time will tell, let's hope for the best wink_o.gif

Ah yeah, last time we saw him was during the E3 aswell heh? biggrin_o.gif

Yes, that's true. But they might release islands, campaigns etc later on, as a free addon.

But is this decision taken because of the copyright issues?

I was speculating to myself that the reason behind this was

they wanted the audience too look upon it as a brand new

game and not just OFP with new graphics.

Guest Ti0n3r

The only thing I've heard is that the old stuff wasn't quite as 'good looking' as the new ArmA stuff (hey, that's not even true biggrin_o.gif )so they choosed not to include it.

Hence 'free addon pack' rumor.

Not if Codemasters still have the rights on them...  wink_o.gif

No reason given, AFAIK this is where we first heard that it wouldnt be inluded anymore...

I agree with their choice.

BIS must Concentrate 100% on ARMA and leave the old stuff for the fans because they will be possible to convert to ArmA thumbsup.gif

No reason given, AFAIK this is where we first heard that it wouldnt be inluded anymore...

ah ok, havent read that before.

Legal issues don't allow BIS to include CWC campaign with ArmA since codies have at least a part claim on it. If on the other hand it was offered later as freeware this could overcome their copyright issues as it would be freeware and not something that BIS would be financially gaining on. This is the situation AFAIK.  wink_o.gif

Legal issues don't allow BIS to include CWC campaign with ArmA since codies have at least a part claim on it. If on the other hand it was offered later as freeware this could overcome their copyright issues as it would be freeware and not something that BIS would be financially gaining on. This is the situation AFAIK.  wink_o.gif

You cant release something as freeware if it belongs to someone else (even though you made it...) wink_o.gif

But i dont know who legally owns the content of OFP huh.gif

Maybe the Jordan Man Derek will strike again. Time will tell, let's hope for the best wink_o.gif

Just thought about him biggrin_o.gif

Don't get me started on 'poor' OFP:E. C'mon it is a stunning title (and reviewers??? a lot of them are just gfx junkies).

If only OFP:E was recompiled on 360 (meaning 3x the resolution, 3x the viewdistance and 3x the construction points) and released as such it would have been a heck of a game.

The only thing which would put off some would have been the character models and animations. (and a tad more polish to the mission editor would have been nice)

It is really a shame that such a title had such bad luck. Now i can only dream of a 360 version of ArmA.

Although I agreed with many of the criticisms made by the reviewers that did not like Elite very much, I still enjoyed playing the game. Sure, there were some disappointing aspects of it (when you reload the soldier just fiddles with the gun a little), but other parts did impress me. At first I thought that commanding a squad would be excessively frustrating on the XBOX, but Bohemia Interactive did a very good job at making it easy to issue a wide variety of commands. Hats off to BI on that. Seeing the grass and trees blow in the wind was also very satisfying since it was missing in the static environments of the original OFP. Watching the Nogova bridge blow up after I set satchel charges on it under the covering fire of my squad mates was rewarding as well.

Oh boy, it will be hard to handle the quiet in these few days leading up to E3. I hope Armed Assault gets good coverage. (Of course it will.)

Guest Ti0n3r

Last year we got around 90 pics of Game 2. Hope it'll be the same with ArmA this year xmas_o.gif

Last year we got around 90 pics of Game 2. Hope it'll be the same with ArmA this year xmas_o.gif

Or better a real good video. Better than 90 pics... wink_o.gif

hope they make it as good as the old ofp trailer , that was something that really made my back hairs rise and i always feelt "coool....." biggrin_o.gif

A small video (800 kb) posted by Frank shows a 'patrol animation'. Some trees swaying also.

Really like the colour of the place, ground textures look very nice.

Importantly, everything looks much more 'solid'.

Looking at the nearest soldier walk, he's got that subtle swagger people have when walking with a rucksack. Thumbs up ! smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Damn.. That looks so life-like...

BIS doing everything for release in June. In the meantime, it's looking favourably.

The Game was played with smooth FPS on 2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram. But the game ins't fully optimalizated yet.

is that "good or bad news"?  huh.gif

I think good, because the game had maximum settings on everything.

Very impressive small teaser despite it was just some short seconds.

The walking animations are really superb icon14.gif and the palms moving with the wind add a nice thouch.

Good yellow truck, but i hope there will be a tractor in the game (priceless is the memory of driving the OFP tractor in the middle of a firefight biggrin_o.gif)

but i hope there will be a tractor in the game (priceless is the memory of driving the OFP tractor in the middle of a firefight biggrin_o.gif)

...ammm,something like this Sanctuary?! biggrin_o.gif

war181es.jpg

what you mean?

anyway, i really think it will be so great so awsome, so ... yay.gif

The animations we saw are so natural, shadows look also fantastic!

It looks really real so far...

Community inlove.gif you BIS!

edit: palm tree moves naturally and the truck is not moving at all .. (what's your point?)