Sign in to follow this  
jtec

Getting into the game industry

Been reading about some game companys in the UK trying to survive due to how the games market is played now.  Its really sad but the industry is just getting a bit greedy now and the development teams that aspire to create new and highly playable games are being closed down due to lack of funding.  This is why we are seeing so many bloody sequals now as they are a safe bet of making a profit.  This in the end i believe will kill the industry as the public will just get bored of playing remakes.

Why in the hell does it take millions to make games now, is it due to the size of development teams?  is it the advertising? is it just men in suits who have no interest in games making a nice tidy sum?

Your views please  biggrin_o.gif

It doesn't take millions to make a game (just look at the thriving indie game development scene). It takes millions to make a game that the big publishers won't shove out the door with a 10-foot pole.

The big boys like EA, Ubisoft, etc, are all looking for the surefire hits. To them, that means sequels to successful games, milking of successful franchises, movie tie-ins, all of that crap. It also means games with qualities they feel will appeal to the masses. To the big boys, that means tons of gee-whiz graphical doodads, lots and lots of stupid bullet points, and dumbed-down gameplay. The art assets and graphics code alone have ensured skyrocketing schedule requirements and budgets. And then of course there's the advertising costs. Game trailers at the cinema, TV spots, 6-page magazine ads, celebrity endorsements, and all manner ofother expensive and ultimately stupid bullshit.

Of course, the truly stupid thing to me, is that with all the money they pour into the development of their surefire hits, how many of them do you think actually break even? How many copies do you need to sell to break even on a game that cost US$20 million to develop? How many to break even on an indie title that cost US$20 thousand?

But the real kicker: how much of the money do you think the developers actually see?

Yeah i was thinking the same about how much of a profit do they actually make. Saying that if you do well like BIS and sell over a million copies at 30 english pounds each your gonna make 30000000 but thats before everyone has their fair share (or not fair) of pay. Glad the indie scene is thriving (got any links?)

The one I've been relatively active in is GarageGames, which was formed by (and is still run by) former members of the team that developed Tribes and Tribes 2. Great community, relatively mature, and lots of good stuff happening. smile_o.gif

Thanks very much, very interesting and its great to see such a scene that enjoy making and playing games instead of seeing the $ signs biggrin_o.gif

As already mentioned....it's all about your folio. Doesn't matter if you've studied for 10 years, if your work isn't any good, you won't get a job. I'm halfway through a design/art course that is entirely focussed on computer games...pity for you it's in Australia wink_o.gif (I now feel slightly embarrised by the OFP stuff I did years ago...)

Mods used to be a really good way to get a job, but not as much anymore. They are still good experience and a possible way to go, but they aren't the great path they were 5 or 6 years ago. GarageGames is a great spot to get some ideas/experience as well.

My personal fav however is Gamasutra. Register then read as many articles as you can....including the "How to Get into the Industry" PDF.

LINKY!

Good luck! smile_o.gif

As already mentioned....it's all about your folio.

Actually, just like most industries, it's less about your folio (not that it isn't important, mind you) than about knowing the right people. Networking is king. Some guys I've spoken to in the industry essentially got their jobs because they knew someone in the company who then dropped some good words. Again, not that the folio isn't important.

OR you could do the normal way out and sleep with the manager or company CEO rofl.gif

Wildo

Actually, just like most industries, it's less about your folio (not that it isn't important, mind you) than about knowing the right people. Networking is king.

Sorry but that's not the way it works. You'll simply need:

1- A good portfolio.

2- Experience with export pipelines and specific game setups.

The second is easy. You just need time and experience. The first is much harder. If your models/textures/drawings are not good, there's nothing you can do about it.

If you live in the UK, buy EDGE and check the adds. There are new job offers every month. You won't need to know anyone inside the industry.

The bad news is that most studios in the UK are downsizing and outsourcing. Most studios will only recruit experience people that could help during prototyping. The bulk of the production (what used to be the job for entry-level artists) is going to India, China and Vietnam. It's much harder for new blood to get into the industry. Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years.

The good news is that if you are a really good artist they'll be fighting for you. There are too many average CV's going around these days.

Good luck!

Actually, just like most industries, it's less about your folio (not that it isn't important, mind you) than about knowing the right people. Networking is king.

Sorry but that's not the way it works.

You'll note that I never said a good folio won't help. However, you absolutely cannot downplay the importance of networking. You can have a great portfolio, but the fact is, a lot of companies will hire internally first, with openings showing up to the public a lot later. If you know someone who knows someone who knows someone, you've got a much better chance with a half-decent folio than if you had a great portfolio but no contacts.

Like I said, a lot of the guys I've spoken to in the industry will tell you that contacts and networking are absolutely important to getting a job.

Oh, another thing that helps is to show your stuff off in online communities. Polycount and CGTalk are both great for this purpose, being that they're both frequented by, well, everyone. tounge2.gif If you make a splash there, chances are good that someone relevant will see it, and at the very least take a note of your name and work.

OR you could do the normal way out and sleep with the manager or company CEO rofl.gif

Wildo

*Suddenly loses all respect for Wildo* tounge2.gif

I have heard from various artist (both game-developers, SFX artists etc) that going through an arts study is better then a specific game-academy, an added bonus is that should your game-dev job fall through/you lose interest, then you can always pursue more traditional ways of art.

Jef - came across this in 'Edge' magazine whilst waiting for a chinese takaway tonight:

1.Sumo Digital are seeking 2D/3D Artists for game development, specifically for Vehicle modeling:

careers@sumo-digital.com

2. http://www.guerrilla-games.com - These guys were also recruiting through 'Edge' magazine - require 3D modelers etc for their up and coming PS3 title - jobs@guerrilla-games.com

hope thats of some help mate

smile_o.gif

Thanks Dan mate, Im currently self teaching myself 3d max modelling and just getting some basic tutorials out the way. Will post up some pics when i get something worth showing (UKF forums).

Thanks for all the links so far guys, really appreciate the time you guys have taken to give us some ideas of what i need.

As for 3d max modelling, im so used to making models with o2 now and placing verts everywhere that its quite hard to get out of that routine. Im also always trying to move the model around with w a d and s crazy_o.gif Will get there tho in the end

Regards

Jeff

Thanks Dan mate, Im currently self teaching myself 3d max modelling and just getting some basic tutorials out the way. Will post up some pics when i get something worth showing (UKF forums).

Thanks for all the links so far guys, really appreciate the time you guys have taken to give us some ideas of what i need.

As for 3d max modelling, im so used to making models with o2 now and placing verts everywhere that its quite hard to get out of that routine. Im also always trying to move the model around with w a d and s crazy_o.gif Will get there tho in the end

Regards

Jeff

as part of my Uni course i have to learn 3DS - the course tutor is a wizzard with it, and created some video tutorials for us - i can send them you if you want?

Please mate everything is welcome as the more things i stick in my head the better i will understand things.

@messiah,

could you post the video links on here? or isnt that allowed? smile_o.gif

Wildo

you wouldnt be able to access them as they're on my university 'Web CT' - i'd be able to download them for Jef and send them by email seeing as he's a UKF buddy - they're large files, hence i wouldnt be so keen hosting them on the UKF FTP as it would take away alot of our allowence.

sorry confused_o.gif

Have a look at this job posting for a character artist with ArenaNet. Note that solid traditional art skills is an important requirement, however gaming experience is only regarded as an advantage.

Essentially, they want to see an above average portfolio from a friendly teamplayer who gets stuff done on time. Two of those 3 criteria are conveyed much more readily through friends and connections, which is why networking plays such a big role in the recruiting process.

Two of the three? I read it and it's asking for a lot more than three and plenty of them can be demonstrated by yourself. You've really twisted it to just say what you want it to say confused_o.gif

Two of the three? I read it and it's asking for a lot more than three and plenty of them can be demonstrated by yourself. You've really twisted it to just say what you want it to say  confused_o.gif

Leone, I posted that reference for the benefit of jeftec.  I also stated what I believed the essence of the requirements were.  Why not offer your own opinion of what you believe the essential requirements are?  Or better still, why not dig up and summarise your own reference material.  It would be a bit more helpful to jeftec than trying to read sinister motives into other people's offers of assistance.

confused_o.gif

*sigh*

I can't see why you bothered to summarise what you thought was the "essence" when there's only about 12 things listed. At least half the things on the list would best be demostrated through a folio, and the rest could easily be shown.

I'm guessing you got your three things from the first paragraph? If that's the case then what I'm saying is you didn't really represent it properly. Notice how most of it talks about art skills and the other two are tacked on the end. Might be a hint about what is super important (ie: folio showing fantasy characters) and what isn't as important (teamwork, own ideas).

My reference, which is a goldmine, was posted at the top of the last page  smile_o.gif

Edit: I'm not going to start analysing individual ads....I've got at least 50 sites bookmarked and really can't be bothered trolling through them today.

*sigh*

I can't see why you bothered to summarise what you thought was the "essence" when there's only about 12 things listed.

Don't worry about it, man.   smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The ideal candidate will have strong traditional skills

That among other things means being able to do concept drawings/sketches. I don't think many aspiring 2D/3D artists know what emphasis most companies put on ''traditional'' skills. I only just started sketching stuff because I noticed that it popped up in every single job ad that I read help.gif

Edit: and aiming for ''two out of three'' is always bad, as someone that goes for a three out of three will always get the job and not you band.gif

I came across something while trying to learn about concept drawing and getting into the gaming industry, so I decided to post it here.

FAQ on The Gaming Industry

I hope it helps someone out.