Sign in to follow this  
colt

What do you *HOPE* will be in ArmA?

The storyline does say communist North vs democratic South.  The enemy doesn't look like Chinese or Cuban so Russian is what's left.

I'd read around again if I were you.

Edit to last post: Communism is always going to be a threat to a country like the United States. The storyline is like that of a Tom Clancy novel. Fiction, but it can sure as hell happen.

Russians?

A fictional island with a fictional population. This island happens to be split into two different governments:

-The Northern: Democratic Republic of Sahrani,

-The Southern: Democratic Monarchy of Sahrani.

The Northern Government decides to attack the Southern Government as the Americans are beginning to leave.

Please tell me how can russians be AT ALL related. Even if they are related, So what .. ?

One more thing.. I wouldn't really call Russia a friend. They still prefer to go their own way.

No kidding? Just like every Independant people of any nation on this planet,HAHA.

Part of the beautiful process of international relationship is recognizing everyone has needs and an instinct to preserve their heritage. It starts getting ulgy when one side gets cocky, overestimates their power and tries to force oppressive methods on the other. Kind of like an abussive relationship.

I like the Fictional sides idea,that would be cool.But why stop on only two sides? At least 4 would make it more interesting.

I guess I can't call these hopes anymore as 'hopes', because I know they will be in game. Let us say that these things I'm waiting for wink_o.gif

- CTI events taking hours, even days

- Artillery support

- Airborne drops

- Tracers (not sure about rifle tracers though, so I *HOPE* there

will be tracers from rifles.)

- And not sure about this either, so I hope there will be realistic

sounds. For example, sounds of guns from long distances can

be heard as 'pops' or something like that

tounge2.gif Like in Battlefield 1942

Warsaw pact, yes. Russian NO. Communist yes, Russian NO. It's either an old communist deity or turban-clad terrorists. Which would you prefer? I think I'll take the commies.

I've always fancied a West v West scenario myself - something like a mutli-national European force (UK, Germany, Spain, Norway etc with France etc neutral) defending against a US invasion with 4/5 maps showing the different and unique terrains across Europe. thumbs-up.gif

As far as an Afghan/Iraq scenario, I think that's just far too political. For a start, even ignoring the religious aspects, many people wouldn't accept the simplistic categorization of the 'enemy' as terrorists. The reality in those wars is that there are dozens of factions, motivations and in many cases the opposition could not be slotted into the classic definition of a terrorist. Also remember that being a game, it ideally needs an end - when the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq are a very long way from resolution how could the game come to a reasonable conclusion?

As other have said Communist doesn't mean Russian - neither does it mean limited to China, Russia or Cuba. There are many more governments based on variations of communism. Arma chooses a realistic but entirely fictional conflict which is a good idea IMHO - it's less likely to offend any particular group and they get to write the story as they want.

The other scenario which is both current and realistic is an African or East Asian civil war (Sudan, Burma aka Myanmar). It doesn't offer the modern weaponary of the other scenarios, but it does have some interesting differences. The terrain is very different from the scenes of many Western conflicts and so are the tactics.

Imagine a game based on the Myanmar type conflict - a dictatorship military government fighting a guerilla rebel army in the hilly jungle environment. The rebels roam on foot unseen through the jungle and remote villages whilst the better equipped government forces control the roads and operate from fixed bases in larger towns.

Oh sure, our increasingly spineless US suddenly turns on historic and contemporary allies... that's definantly less absurd than a ficticious communist nation. tounge2.gif

I do think a west vs west scenareo would be cool in a mod. smile_o.gif

Those other ideas are good for mods, but the North vs South Sarharni is perfectly acceptable for ArmA. It offers a variety of old west, new west, and old Soviet equiptment, and a good contemporary backdrop. smile_o.gif

Imagine a game based on the Myanmar type conflict - a dictatorship military government fighting a guerilla rebel army in the hilly jungle environment. The rebels roam on foot unseen through the jungle and remote villages whilst the better equipped government forces control the roads and operate from fixed bases in larger towns.

And I bet the plot would be ridiclously pussified "good american backed freedom fighters help the locals overcome the evil evil regime"-type of thing.

I mentioned this ages ago...we need some "Chicks" to make Zipole happy...and all I've seen so far is them beach boys. Get us some girls in Tanga's biggrin_o.gif

I mentioned this ages ago...we need some "Chicks" to make Zipole happy...and all I've seen so far is them beach boys. Get us some girls in Tanga's :D

I totally agree with you. I'm all for partial nudity in ArmA.

<span style='color:white'>that was nerdy :(</span>

And I bet the plot would be ridiclously pussified "good american backed freedom fighters help the locals overcome the evil evil regime"-type of thing.

Yeah... doesnt make any sense in the actual context, it would if it was yet another WW2 game (please no more, never again...).

A west vs west situation wouldnt be believable enough, too much RL based fiction would break the imersion.

Russia/Afghanistan in the 80's (like the mod) would be a good idea to explore but it would be ugly..

I think BIS got the idea well but the names, environment and NS army lack some personality imo.

I totally agree with you. I'm all for partial nudity in ArmA.

Hmmm, the weather in the southern part seems more than good enough and theres the nice beach and water...

Hey! Someone stole your red squares mad_o.gif .

~ The ability to go 'underground'.

~ shoot from a cargo slot in all vehicles ( land \ sea \ air)

~ Larger complexes such. as factories \ Hotels ect with coridoors to allow CQC

~ A punch action if there are no weapons in your hand,and a stabbing action if you have a dagger.

~ Some form of quantifying skill of units.FNG's should be more likely to throw down weapons and run ( particularly if they are 'children' )

~ Animals that ineract more.Cows that flee when you run up to them,dogs that chase and bark at you ect....

~ Annimations a go-go !

~ In large towns , lets see people, and not just the odd lone man !

Quote[/b] ] ~ Some form of quantifying skill of units.FNG's should be more likely to throw down weapons and run ( particularly if they are 'children' )

The idea of locals dropping their weapons and doing a runner if you outnumber them is good. I think we could do something like this with the "FSM system". I don't like the idea of having children around but that ha been cleared before and there wont be none (afaik).

Yeah... doesnt make any sense in the actual context, it would if it was yet another WW2 game (please no more, never again...).

Don't exactly follow what you are saying?

Forgive me if this has been said already (hope I didn't miss it while reading through here)... but I'd like to see:

-- On the soldier avatar model:  An empty holster if a sidearm is drawn or not present // a full holster if a sidearm is holstered.  Similar idea for grenades and other gear.

Really don't know how else to describe it... the avatars in the game Rainbow Six 3:  Raven Shield have a system kind of like this where the grenades/smoke/flashbangs/sidearms are shown on the model of the operative until equipped, used, or unless not present to begin with.  That's the best example I have... I hope it's clear

Ability to change seats in a moving vehicle.

Good shout.

Warsaw pact, yes. Russian NO. Communist yes, Russian NO. It's either an old communist deity or turban-clad terrorists. Which would you prefer? I think I'll take the commies.

I've always fancied a West v West scenario myself - something like a mutli-national European force (UK, Germany, Spain, Norway etc with France etc neutral) defending against a US invasion with 4/5 maps showing the different and unique terrains across Europe. thumbs-up.gif

As far as an Afghan/Iraq scenario, I think that's just far too political. For a start, even ignoring the religious aspects, many people wouldn't accept the simplistic categorization of the 'enemy' as terrorists. The reality in those wars is that there are dozens of factions, motivations and in many cases the opposition could not be slotted into the classic definition of a terrorist. Also remember that being a game, it ideally needs an end - when the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq are a very long way from resolution how could the game come to a reasonable conclusion?

As other have said Communist doesn't mean Russian - neither does it mean limited to China, Russia or Cuba. There are many more governments based on variations of communism. Arma chooses a realistic but entirely fictional conflict which is a good idea IMHO - it's less likely to offend any particular group and they get to write the story as they want.

The other scenario which is both current and realistic is an African or East Asian civil war (Sudan, Burma aka Myanmar). It doesn't offer the modern weaponary of the other scenarios, but it does have some interesting differences. The terrain is very different from the scenes of many Western conflicts and so are the tactics.

How about the Taiwanese defending Taiwan from a massive invasion by the communist Chinese? Taiwan is an island - perfect for the game.

How about the Taiwanese defending Taiwan from a massive invasion by the communist Chinese. Taiwan is an island - perfect for the game.

That would draw in other nations, particularly the U.S. - unless the U.S. are just bluffing which is possible wink_o.gif

The benefit of the last two scenarios I mentioned is that the US have no real reason or interest in being involved (no elections to win or oil intrests to be protected). In a fictional scenario, it might be that a UN force unhampered by petty politics in the security council could be sent in to aid one side or the other ... but I'm not suggesting any external involvement is actually necessary to make it interesting.

I'm not too interested in any scenario where the U.S. play the good guy role - just about every game out there already does this from WW2 through to fictional future conflicts. Of course I'm not given much choice with Arma and I doubt Game 2 will be very different. Perhaps some decent mods will provide more interesting scenarios.

I've always fancied a West v West scenario myself - something like a mutli-national European force (UK, Germany, Spain, Norway etc with France etc neutral) defending against a US invasion with 4/5 maps showing the different and unique terrains across Europe.  thumbs-up.gif

How about the Taiwanese defending Taiwan from a massive invasion by the communist Chinese.  Taiwan is an island - perfect for the game.

Never mind the fact that were talking about 36000 square kilometres here.. crazy_o.gif

What would be nice to see is a mod about a conflict between Greece and Turkey involving a suitable island in the Aegean sea. The towns/villages would offer a perfect gaming environment. Okay it's not really on topic but I like the idea. I need to look into it.

Yeah, it's not THAT small an island, you know.

very true. My point was the suitability of the scenario, not necessarily the physical aspects of Taiwan. wink_o.gif

Hopefully they had time to implement wildlife. Placebo said they would have that "if they have time" before the release.. *Crosses fingers*