Sign in to follow this  
Bouben

New Sounds (sry if i omit some old sounds topic)

When i played Half Life 2 i was fascinated by one thing - the sounds was changing with distance...in close combat weapons sounds really "angry" but from distance...it sounds like banging pop corn:) it was really atmospheric...i am not happy when i hear helicopter 7km distanced from me...and i hope that BIS will change sounds for more authentic...you can have great graphics but without good sounds you cant make good army game...

sry if i omit some old sounds topic but i scaned that:)

Well, I think the sounds in ofp are very cool. Its the first game i see where sound spped is implemented, and the doppler effect is part of the main engine.

But that effects can rapidly raise enjoy of gameplay...when it will be in AAi will be much happier than from new graphics

hey bouben, i know exactly what your talking about smile_o.gif

have you played day of defeat: source? This effect is very well displayed...its incredible! the doppler effect and sound echoes are implemented so well that at first I thought distant gunfire was just a recorded background noise being played like we see in many games. I soon realized it was actual firefights happening around the map! There is absolutely no recorded background gunfire in any day of defeat maps-its all realtime firefights in the distance, yet it sounds very real.

If this could be implemented in ofp, you have no idea how much it would increase immersion. This effect gives a real "battlefield" feel to hear distance pops from a different firefight happening across the maps. As it currently is, the sound effects sound the same no matter what. If it were implemented, a distant helicopter would be mor elike a low rumble, jet and airplane flybys would actually sound like their real life counterparts, distant firefights could be hear, and the weapons would sound different depending on where you were.

This effect is done, I might add, I think by adjusting different values in the sound. All the sounds are one sound, but by adding slight echo, adjusting the base/treble etc different effects are achieved.

Here is a good example:

video on the top right

about 35 seconds into the movie, the player enters a wide open area where an mg42 is...this mg42 can be heard firing throughout the video in the background, but when he enters the wide open area it is located in you can hear the sound of it change.

i dont know what you guys are talking about.. HL2's doppler effect is garbage.. OFP's sound is far better.. a good example is that in HL2.. if you pick up them electro mines (from the buggy map) and toss them out to sea, you hear them blowup at the same exact time that you see the explosion.

OFP on the other hand, if an A10 drops an MK82 bomb on one end of the island, you wount hear anything for a few seconds. also the sound is muffled(sounds like distant thunder).as for gun fire, after a certain range you cant hear anything, and the mountains also block the sound.

OFP sounds so real, i cant comprehend how anyone would complain about it and compair it to an generic eyecandy shooter like HL2.

Apart from that the head topic of the ArAs section clearly says:

No suggestions, no requests, no demands.

Sound has had it´s role in OFP 1 and certainly will have in OFP 2.

If you want to adress such issues pls post them in the OFP 2 thread.

Hey dynamax you maybe dont understand me. Of course that sound system in OFP is great but...i dont wanna hear helicopter from 7km do you copy?

Does anybody here KNOW what the doppler effect is?

It has nothing to do with distance, or the subsequent changes in pitch due to that distance.

The doppler effect is the phenomen with sound or other forms of waves/radiation/whatever changing freqeuncy due to movement relative to the observers position.

For example the way a police siren pitch dramatically changes when the car zooms past.

The frequency goes up when it's moving towards you, and goes down after it passed and started to move away from you.

The simulation of distance is OFP, but not the simulation that relates to the way sounds change over that distance, and THAT needs to be fixed in OFP.

Hey dynamax you maybe dont understand me. Of course that sound system in OFP is great but...i dont wanna hear helicopter from 7km do you copy?

once again i dont know what your talking about.

i cant hear helicopters untill they are almost on me.

i only hear tanks if they are close enough to see (at least 1km)

maybe your sound card is having issues with OFP, i know mine is working great, and the sound cant even be compaired with any other game.

Does anybody here KNOW what the doppler effect is?

It has nothing to do with distance, or the subsequent changes in pitch due to that distance.

The doppler effect is the phenomen with sound or other forms of waves/radiation/whatever changing freqeuncy due to movement relative to the observers position.

For example the way a police siren pitch dramatically changes when the car zooms past.

The frequency goes up when it's moving towards you, and goes down after it passed and started to move away from you.

The simulation of distance is OFP, but not the simulation that relates to the way sounds change over that distance, and THAT needs to be fixed in OFP.

there is doppler effect in OFP i notice it all the time when im flying, driving, or or being driven by or flown by..

allarms that go off in bases have a higher pitch when your moving towards it and a lower pitch when moving away.

you people need to check you sound drivers and make sure things are working as they should befor saying that OFP's sound is messed.

I'm not saying that doppler effects aren't simulated in ofp, I'm just saying it has nothing to do with the way things sound from a distance.

The sound of gunfire in the distance that you hear in HL2 is not a doppler simulation.

And in a way, sound IS messed up in OFP, as the threadstarter said, you hear a tank or a helikopter with full clarity even when it's kilometers away (miles for you americans/british peeps), which is hardly realistic.

For an example. you wouldn't hear the grinding sounds that the threads create a km away, you might hear the rumble of the engine since low frequency waves travels farther than high frequency ones.

That's why gunfire sounds like popcorn from a distance.

half life 2 does have the effect where there is delay in sound and visuals, and it also has much better distance effects than ofp. Watch that video I posted...every single background gunshot is a real gunshot going off in the distance. If we could have that in ofp, tha t would be cool.

Dynamax: watch that video I posted. Notice 35 seconds in how the mg42 firing goes from muffled to very loud and sharp. This displays what he is talking about very well...the background gunshots are actual players firing in different parts in the map, but the sound effects change the pitch depending on where you are. Ofp has none of this from what I can see.

Here is an easy way to think of it: when an airplane (in real life) flys past you. It doesn't make the same sound throughout. It makes a "rrrrrreeeeeeeeeerrrrrroooooooooowwwwwwww" starting higher pitched at first and getting lower. IN ofp, currently it just makes the same sound as it flys over, with no change in pitch (just a little in volume).

It certainly changes its pitch.

OFP does have doppler effect implemented. Maybe not as advanced as HL2 (never played hl2) - but its there.

install dynamicrange sound addon that is goooood

that is doppler efect for ofp and is ollldd and good

like i said in my past post.. maybe your sound card drivers arn't letting OFP sound right.

i for sure cant hear a tank that over 1km distance and the pich of the sounds from aircraft do change.

like i said, maybe your sound card isnt doing what it should.. mine sure is.

and i have HL2 and i have yet to be impressed by it's sound.

HL2 still doesnt beat OFP, and probily never will

nothing like taking a sniper shot to the face, only to hear the muffled blast from the berral 2-3 seconds after you have already died.

If you do not have a Soundblaster Audigy (1 or 2) or an X-fi, you are *not* hearing OFP the way it was meant to be heard. ... .. Period.

If you do not have one of the above sound cards, you have no business saying what OFP sounds like, whatsoever. Your sound card cannot properly reproduce what the sound engine is attempting to give you. It may be close, but no cigar.

I'm by no means a big creative labs fan (I don't care for their monopolistic ways), but these sound cards are the only ones that can do OFP justice. I've heard OFP on just about every other sound card out there.... Nothing compares.

So the hardware accelerated audio really works properly in OFP... I did thought it's just this piece of *beep* Terratec card but now I'm sure of it. Damn...

I believe the distant sounds are seperate sound files which is why they sound different.

EDIT:

The sound in those vids don't impress me too much either... nor do the animations but that's a different topic.

On the sound issue i believe it can also be the a user made addon that causes a problem. I set up a test on Nogova where i placed a Bell (martins) helicopter on the northern island airstrip and i placed myself on the south west airstrip. I could hear the helicopter start its engine like i was standing right next to it. I think the OFrP weapons had this problem at first, where you could hear them at full volume when they where miles away. I have an audigy 1 sound card..

i have a sound blaster Audigy 2 Platnum EX

my OFP sound great with or with out addons.

i cant hear helicopters from long distances.. they have to be at least 1km away befor i can hear the rotors.

same goes for tanks and anything else..

i would post up a video to show this but i dont have a site to post it on.

The sound effects from water, birds, winds, vehicles passing by, fireing sounds, helicopter passing by with a large sound.. Or what ever sound there is.

The sound is one important factor, something that Bohemia Interactive really have made one miss, both in Operation Flashpoint, and VBS1. Seams like you really don't have any proffesional sound engineer crew, just saw the Armed Assault video, and heard those old and terrible sounds again. And then really wanted to make a statement, That you should not pick any sound from different old sound archives that I persum you still are. Instead you really should put some energy into it.

Also regarding the soundengine that are currently used by the old engine, is one of a kind terrible, but its more the 5 years old so I could understand the limitation, but you might have comed a bit on it probebly I belive?

Oh well, please take care of the sound, and ofcourse the music, don't make any miss on it by useing bad engineer crew, and old archive please. confused_o.gif

@The sound is one important factor

True true.

Just wondering since the ArmA release date has been pushed if BIS is working on sound aspects to?

ÄŽ'm asking because in my desperate need for ArmA i tryed to drowne my sorrow with the Battlefield 2 demo and i absolutely hated it, just looking at the physics made me cry.

But one and the only thing i loved about it was the sound of the weapons firing, those sounds made me feel like i was in a combat zone.

Apperently they used 2 sounds (a 1p and a 3p) for every weapon and then the sounds are further muffled by the enviroment.

I still think the OFP sound engine is superiour in the way the sound travels but small arms fire in (i'm dead) goodnight.gif Battlefield 2 sound better.

Will the sound engine in ArmA be improved?

Any Elite players heard any sound inprovements over original OFP?

I always wonder when people say, those sounds aren't realistic , the are stupid, but then again, I wonder, how many people have heard the real sounds of all those guns firing. Every type of rifle/pistol/gun has a different sound, and I certainly haven't heard all of them, but some guns really pop like a toy. And I have to tell, OFP's sounds is really good, except for the voices, I didn't like them that much, but it didn't bother me either. If they keep the current sounds, I'm already pleased.

Sounds in other games are not always accurate, but it has no real purpose having all sound-effects on small maps. Comparing the huge size of OFP and other games aren't usefull in my opinion as it's totally different. I never saw another game where sound 1 km further was important, OFP is. No offense to other games like HL2, their sound is good, but applied in a different way, as it's not important for big distances.

Well i didn't mean OFP sounds sound stupid but they don't sound right either, trust me i live not not far away from military training grounds so i know how weapons sound from a distance.

Maybe OFP sound are realistic from a 1 st. person perspective but not from a distance.

I know it would be extremely hard to make a truely dynamic and realistic sound engine where the sound is affected by hills, mountains, houses etc.

But there's always room for improvement ay?

edit. Also in the way Ofp ai handles weapons is there room for improvement that would affect sound, either all units fire 1 round including mgunners or 3 round bursts.

It just doesn't sound right.