Sign in to follow this  
Dowie100

Release Thread 2

With the time remaining in Q4 shortening, how do you think the game will come out.

Steam, D2D or something else?

Good call starting a new thread. And not even three hours after Placebo closed the last one. o_O

If threads get locked, they get locked for a reason wink_o.gif .

And no, I do not believe Bis will bring out Arma in Q4 (unless they put on a dramatic act), but for now they will not be giving us any information unless it's about VBS2.

as long as it stays on-topic and doesnt consist of only complaining, but genuine discussion they cant close the topic.

Just to say that the comments on the main site www.armedassault.com have been disabled, so I think they are goin to announce something soon  wink_o.gif

unless that it is because of the negative comments, possible too

About time wink_o.gif

I guess.. Well, I hope at least something will happen the 28th.

It's about time for that too smile_o.gif

I think its because of the comments but anyway. Heres my ideas on advantages + disadvantages of release stratagies

Steam Distribtution

Advantages

When its ready it can be released, no CD's need to be made.

Gets the game to millions of gamers.

Allows a much larger cut of profits for the developers.

Less money needs spent as no cd's and boxes.

Allows patches to be sent to people as they are released, ie everyone is at the same version of the game.

Can sell the game for cheaper as no Publisher cuts etc, so people are more likely to buy the game.

Disadvantages

People reuluctant to use a new system.

The need for internet activiasion and downloading of the game.

People like to have some physical version of the game.

The fact that it cant run without steam.

The fact that it wont be in shops so unless people know about Steam they wont get the game, ie less like likely to be bought during Christmas sales etc.

Retail Distribution

Advantages

Puts their game in the shops, so the game has more of a presence.

Reaches everyone.

disadvantages

Retailers and Publishers take a lot of the profits

It takes time to make copies of the game, so release pushed back.

By Mail order Distribtution

Advantages

BIS get all the profits

disadvantages

BIS, need to make the CD's and boxes themselves

They dont have the resources for mass production of cd's etc

Limited supply

Postage and packing, means more money for the game, and it arrives later.

They need to invest is secure webservers/credit card autherisation etc.

Download from BIS Server Distribtution

Advantages

Gets the game to us, with no need for making CD's

BIS can release when they want to

BIS get all the profits

disadvantages

The need to buy more bandwidth and faster servers

The need to get more server security

Overall I think that Steam distribution is the best option, as the system is already in place. I dont mean exculusive Steam, it should come out on Steam, then a while later retail (which adds it to your steam account) this allows the game to come out on time, when its ready, patches to be added as they are created, and also the download and server stuff is already their. Also the secure Steam transaction system is in place. This method also allows BIS to have more control and gain more profits.

I think you are forgetting about the costs to put it on steam(not owned by BIS, and if they have to make one...). Valve won't host it for free tounge2.gif, if you know what amount of money they put in it...

Personally, I don't like steam, Belgians have a downloadlimit, so very annoying to download large things.

It's a midbudget game normally, so it won't cost too much, so they won't put anything new in releasing the game in a different way, it would be too expensive.

Just to say that the comments on the main site www.armedassault.com have been disabled, so I think they are goin to announce something soon wink_o.gif

Let's hope so. It's starting to look bad. huh.gif

I think you are forgetting about the costs to put it on steam(not owned by BIS, and if they have to make one...). Valve won't host it for free tounge2.gif, if you know what amount of money they put in it...

Personally, I don't like steam, Belgians have a downloadlimit, so very annoying to download large things.

It's a midbudget game normally, so it won't cost too much, so they won't put anything new in releasing the game in a different way, it would be too expensive.

true, but Valve will take less profits etc than a publisher would. remember Valve have always be a company that is all about Developers rights, in fact they made Steam so that Developers could release games no matter what the suits say and also get more money from them to fund their studio and projects.

Maybe a compromise, retail and download off Steam but it doesnt run on steam ,you just get the standalone game from it, and patches as they are released?

And as for comments being disabled, did you read them because im afraid its the content that caused them to go, I would really like to believe BIS is now going to talk to us, instead of giving 200 interviews about Elite which I am considering buying since Arma is looking in a bad way (a cynic might say this effect is deliberate but we wouldnt want an consiracy theorys would we)

yeah only problem with steam as has been said is bandwidth. I know in this country unless you work for telecomm. company then the fastest connection is around 3.5Mb/s with most people being on slower broadband less than 320Kb/s. And think of those poor souls on 56K or less crazy_o.gif

Hopefully the engine driving VBS2 (Real Virtuality, not Real Virtuality2 ) will be the same engine driving ArmA. If ArmA has even a couple of the feature listed on VBS2 (round penetration, Theramal Imiging) then ArmA will be worth the wait! Can we request destructible buildings for ArmA, just asking. yay.gifwhistle.gif

Lol, nice measure after Release thread was locked. biggrin_o.gif

I'm starting to doubt Q4 release too...It's very likely it wont' come out this year, or else they are already burning the DVDs in secret. smile_o.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, I don't want to dl it from the net, i want to hold the box in my hand and see the DVD in my DVD-ROM.

just floating ideas, and so far the thread has remained constructive which was the idea.

If it wasnt for a release thread, then this forum would be dead

many people would be happy, if the forum was dead. sad_o.gif

many people would be happy, if the forum was dead. sad_o.gif

why, surely the community isnt that disillusioned

You know that ArAs will not be released in Q4 2005 when

-this guy just whooshes by your house without dropping a parcel

saddam_santa.jpg

- you wake up from loud noises and see this when you look out of the window

fireworks.sized.jpg

- you turn on the TV and see this

santa.jpg

- and you meet this guy in your garden

Osterhase.gif

That´s when you all for sure know that ArAs will not be there in 2005.

Anyway...cough, cough... a little bit of info would be great.

Lol, nice measure after Release thread was locked.  biggrin_o.gif

I'm starting to doubt Q4 release too...It's very likely it wont' come out this year, or else they are already burning the DVDs in secret.  smile_o.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, I don't want to dl it from the net, i want to hold the box in my hand and see the DVD in my DVD-ROM.

If it was going to make a Q4 release, they wouldn't have to be makeing the DVD's yet smile_o.gif

A game can be on shelfs 2-3 weeks after it goes gold. So its a little early to start saying ti won't make it out in 05. Lets face it, just becuase they aren't talking to us right now, does not mean they are not still on schedual. If we hit the middle of next month without any communication, then its safe to say it won't make 05.

I have a very strange feeling that we will be getting some infomation soon. Since we've must of annoyed the hell out of BIS by now with all the spam on this forum and the closing of the comments on armed assaut site! tounge2.gif

So yes, id say its a certianty that BIS will release info on ArAs some time next month. Since not meeting a deadline announced to the public AND not giving us a reason and new release date would be very very bad rep. for BIS and possible troubbles finding publishers.

Im wondering if Aras will come out before vbs2 does (3rd quarter 2k6) confused_o.gif . If things didnt go well with a publisher for it then it might even get canceled crazy_o.gif .

Can imagine a terrible open letter for the comunity stating:

"Dear OPF comunity, unfortunetly no publisher showned interest in publishing our tittle "Armed Assault", so we had to focus on our next gen PC game, VBS2 and move on...blablah..."

I wouldnt be surprised but im still feeling half positive wink_o.gif .

Im wondering if Aras will come out before vbs2 does (3rd quarter 2k6) confused_o.gif . If things didnt go well with a publisher for it then it might even get canceled crazy_o.gif .

"Dear OPF comunity, unfortunetly no publisher showned interest in publishing our tittle "Armed Assault", so we had to focus on our next gen PC game, VBS2 and move on...blablah..."

Yeah, I think this could happen... sad_o.gif

BIS = ArmA/ Game2

BIA = VBS2/VBS1 BIS isn't "working" on VBS2. whistle.gif

thumbs-up.gif

And I don't think BIS would cancel ArmA, considering the progress, even if they don't find publisher they can release by themselfes rather then cancel the whole thing. A delay is most likely going to happen but I doubt that it will be cancelled.

i am currently very disappointed about the communication strategy from BIS. the game seems to be finished but no news are available. it seems that everything is depending on their publisher. (sreenshots, infos, videos, new page and so on...)

but why have BIS problems with publishers on the second time? i can not understand this very unusual behavior concerning promotion and communication strategy of developed games by BIS. goodnight.gif

lol so they locked the other thread huh, i was surprised it lasted that long to be honest, just shows how busy those guys are right now, i actually so some real rude language in there and it stayed for 3 days.thats highly unusual. somethings on the horizon i can smell it. smile_o.gif

only trouble is its not arma its VBS2 smile_o.gif. when will you guys realise that research and development is an expensive part of any development and right now a game called ofp elite is out there being played /reviewed and tested by a community. and that game contains many things that will be included in arma, so any glitches in that game will most likely appear in arma, so they will be ironed out b4 release smile_o.gif.talkin bout wavey trees ,tidal stuff,seaguls ,hawks. JIP etc etc.just like they learned from the cwc community with res and res with vbs and no doubt vbs community helped with vbs2. ofp elite will be good feedback for arma. so dont hold ya breath. gonna be at least spring 06.

ALL THAT FRUSTRATION AND ALL THE PR GUY SAYS IS

"Enough already smile_o.gif" IS IT REALLY WORTH IT ?