Sign in to follow this  

I.R.A Fired on british paras 1st on bloody sunday

Well watched the program, it didnt portray the paras as monsters or anything, which was good. Though despite my knowledge on bloody sunday not being great, there was a part in the program where a man was waving a white flag and just standing still, then the paras shot him in the head after he had been standing for abotu 10 seconds. It didnt seem credible to me.

Did that happen in real life?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Jan. 21 2002,01:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well watched the program, it didnt portray the paras as monsters or anything, which was good. Though despite my knowledge on bloody sunday not being great, there was a part in the program where a man was waving a white flag and just standing still, then the paras shot him in the head after he had been standing for abotu 10 seconds. It didnt seem credible to me.

Did that happen in real life?<span id='postcolor'>

Dont know!

That was Blatant spamming sir. If you dont know, then you need not comment in such a manner jsut to state that you do not know. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Jan. 21 2002,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That was Blatant spamming sir. If you dont know, then you need not comment in such a manner jsut to state that you do not know. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't do that would I? biggrin.gif

Seriously - I dont know. It's one (claimed) incident among several. I'm sure there were many incidents we will never hear about, but I suppose there are incidents that are made up.

On the hole though, I do believe that the actions of the paras were terrible. Maybe they shouldn't have been there at all. Police usually cope better with peaceful demonstrations, although I wouldn't trust the RUC.

confused.gif

Hey dangus maybe you want to tell us what they are all fighting about and if its pathetic or not?

SSH stated above:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There were unarmed civilians found with bullet wounds in their backs. <span id='postcolor'>

This is so true... If they were found with bullet holes in their back's that mean's that they were running away in terror when the para's opened fire. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SSH stated above:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There were unarmed civilians found with bullet wounds in their backs. <span id='postcolor'>

This is so true...  If they were found with bullet holes in their back's that mean's that they were running away in terror when the para's opened fire. mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

True it is! But some people obviously confuse patriotism with ignorance. I posted a thread earlier about a book on political violence in N.I. There are interviews with imprisoned IRA members which can only be described as pretty bad regarding the general behavior of the paras. On the other hand, the IRA members also tell stories about their own actions. Im afraid it is just as bad. I'll see if I can scan a few pages from the book and post it here later.

If you are interested you can find the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec....5723068

Like most people in the UK I get a less than complete report of events in Ireland but the more I learn the more I'm horrified by things which my government has done. Yes the IRA has done many dreadful things and I have no sympathy for those who would use terror to achieve their goals. Sadly things like Bloody Sunday make me think that the British Government of the time also falls into that heading.

Firing on unarmed civilians is NEVER justifiable. Protesting abuse of civil right and injustice is ( or should be ) everybodies right. As for the issue of who started the violence and what was used against British troops I don't know. What I have heard is the paras came under repeated, sustained and heavy fire. As some people here have said fear and confusion can explain a lot. My problem is when I watch archive footage from the day I only see the protesters afraid and under fire. I see british soldiers standing in the open and talking. What kind of fire were they under at that time?

Most of us will never know the truth but as a number of people have pointed out this incident was a major catalyst for the current troubles and until some answers come out there are many people who will never be able to find peace. Its taken too long but I'm very glad these questions are being raised in a very public forum.

I don't see the point in debating something that happened over 20 years ago, something nobody here had any control over, or no doubt even saw/experienced first hand, all we have is hind sight and second hand opinion, both are biased and both see perfectly.

To that end I offer this to the discussion:

"Bygones, what was, was, what is, is".

Lets get over it and hope that the people of N.Ireland can one day learn to live in peace with one another, with the help of the international community.

Failing that I say Britain declares N.I to be a fully free and independent nation, albeit one excluded from the international community (until such time as the UN deems them fit to rejoin the community) and let the people fight it out themselves (after preventing any current "political" group, and any other nation from taking part in the process, send them all for a nice trip on an iceflow or something, but I don't think they should be involved).

In my opinion this is the only way peace could ever occur, and if it fails napalm might be the only viable option, assuming that they haven't killed each other by then.

Well thats my thoughts on the problem, take what you want from them.

Sorry Im posting still on this topic but ive been reading as much about Bloody sunday and I have found a few things that I find odd.

Please reply if you can explian these smile.gif

I read up about someone who was shoot in the chest and survived. The bullet was deflected by the zip on his coat and I might be wrong but Im sure a 7.72 bullet would go striaght through him. I have pictures of dead argies from the falklands and even at a long range the 7.62 bullet does more damage.

It might be the the Paras were using different ammo but I cant find anything about that.

I also think that it could have been possible that the IRA opened up on civilians as well in all the confusion for more people to support them.

Also the pictures of those that were killed have very small wounds for close range shote with the SLR, just look at pics from the Falklands and youll see what I mean.

These just seem realy odd to me so I would love some feedback biggrin.gif

Are you implying that perhaps it was all a rouse, and that troublemakers shot the civvies to try and put the blame onto the paras?

Interesting theory but hardly credible smile.gif

No im not saying the trouble makers shot the civies, the trouble makers were the civies.

People said they had seen what they believed were army snipers on the rooftops of some flats.

The army claims no snipers were there, but the IRA has admitted that an IRA gunman was in a block of flats.

He was the one who fired at the British army with what troops say sounded like a tompson machine gun.

If I could find anything about the postmortum of thje dead it would let my mind rest because they would have been able to find out the caliber of the bullets and what gun it was fired from

Sorry Im posting still on this topic but ive been reading as much about Bloody sunday and I have found a few things that I find odd.

Please reply if you can explian these :)

I read up about someone who was shoot in the chest and survived. The bullet was deflected by the zi

well i take it you mess up on quoting, so what is your verdict on a zip deflecting a 7.62 round.

I would say it is impossible but im not 100% sure, im divided

I am sure there was autopsies made to determine what killed them and how. If it had been anything other than 7.2 Brit ammo the government would surely have used that as an arguement, don't you think?