Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

Did BIS sold your free addons?

Has anybody got serious infos on this?

What was sold? What is infact stolen?

As far as I can tell, no-one has such information. People are just churning the rumour-mill into over-drive. I'm reserving judgement until I see factual evidence of what is going on i.e. in the form of a statement from BIS/BBN/whom-ever.

The fact is, we do not know WHAT (if anything) is being sold/distributed. For that matter, the very issue of ownership of said intellectual property is hazey at best.

I'm NOT siding with BBN. I too am an addon maker, and although I am not directly affected (seems my work wasn't "worthy" enough), if it does turn out that 3rd party addons are being sold by BBN to DARPA/whoever, then something has to be done.

I'm reserving judgement until I see factual evidence of what is going on i.e. in the form of a statement from BIS/BBN/whom-ever.

, if it does turn out that 3rd party addons are being sold by BBN to DARPA/whoever, then something has to be done.

Jep...you are right. I've been on autofire without a thougt again.

But refering to the last part...i stick with my statement!!!

I'll repeat what I said.

The BIS EULAs about who owns the IP produced with their products may or may not stand up in court. But if someone is using your IP to make money, you have an issue with that (real or fictitious) person, not with the company that licensed to them _their_ product -- that is, unless discovery shows that they licensed _your_ product as well.

And I personally think whatever thread locking penalties there are, should be doubled for someone who posts on a friday evening. biggrin_o.gif

If this turns into the next big kick into the coms *** i'll be deligted to donate some money for taking this to court (yea...don't tell me, i now where it leads).

Yeah , i agree with that.

Sue their asses if this is what has indeed conspired.

band.gif

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damm some free-addon sold!!!!!!!!

I imediatly stop the work

ON THE LUNA-M URAGAN 2S3 2S1 D-30

Are Cancelled!

sorry but i dont want see somebody sell my work

without give me some money

Also what is meant by this:

Quote[/b] ]DARWARS Ambush! is a commercial military training product developed by Boston-based BBN Technologies as part of the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) DARWARS program.

Are they like screwing with OFP 1.96's code or something? I mean what are they 'DEVELOPING'? Apart from using different community made addons and making some missions (maybe nicked some of them too tounge2.gif ) and then what? they sell it?

I mean the community has pushed the limits of the engine itself what more could they do with it?

Why didnt the cheapskates just buy the VBS1 modules anyway? Its made for the military ... icon_rolleyes.gif

guys, its a simulator for training purpose-so soldiers can buy ofp and download this mod from what it seems. IMO I think its fine, as long as they give proper credit...I mean, its not like its being sold on ebay or anything, and its not like they are intentionally stealing others work for profit. If you guys watch the video, they had a very short timeframe to make this and why make everything from scratch. Whoever buys this is mostly buying the engine, not the addons. They simply want to create an iraq environment in a short timeframe. I, actually, would be honored to have one of my addons used in a full-scale military simulator to help give soldiers immersion and the tools they need to survive.

Its not like they are selling addons AND ONLY ADDONS on ebay. The addons are there to compliment an iraq feel to a military training simulator which is a modification of the flashpoint engine.

What I interpreted from all this is...

1) BIS give lisence to BBN to use OFP in their endeavors

2) BBN (not BIS) searches the internet for addons (the way we all do)

-Up to this point, we are perfectly legal!-

3) BBN sells the missions to the military, but this also includes the addons that were in those missions.

Now if we can't sell our addons for profit, but they can because they have a "license", then I will surely join the lot of you, pitchfork in hand. But if BIS knows nothing about this, and BBN are just retarted, then our hate should be directed that way, as I highly doubt BIS would knowingly allow such things. There would be EULA contradictions, etc. all over the place....

I am anxious for an official response on all of this,

Caz

EDIT: Another thought of mine just came to me. What if they sell these things like foodstuffs, or weapons? I mean, lets say they already had a contract with the military(ies) and then they aqquired an ofp license from bis. Now all they do is make missions (we are assuming they do these themselves) and then give those to the soldiers, which then they make the military themselves download the addons.... It would be exactly the same as we use OFP. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Its not like they are selling addons AND ONLY ADDONS on ebay. The addons are there to compliment an iraq feel to a military training simulator which is a modification of the flashpoint engine.

The damn ADDONS make up the WHOLE IRAQ theme in OFP , what is their in vanilla ofp which resembles slightly or is/could be used to portray an iraqi envoirnment? Nothing , zip nada. That is their selling point for this ...

No ones saying they cant use it (unless someone in here doesnt like to be associated in helping the US mil at all) , they only wanna get compensated for their work and rightly so.

wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are Cancelled!

sorry but i dont want see somebody sell my work

So I take it you're calling an 'Addon Maker's Strike'?

huh.gif

@Topic

This is really not good. Stealing other's work and selling it is just plain wrong. mad_o.gif Especially when it clearly states in the readme it is for non-commercial use!

@Heatseeker: Tim Morton, leader of Savage Entertainment, asked me fo permission to use my hmmwv for DARWARS and i have given it to him. So, it was ok to use my stuff.

According to the EULA Bis can do whatever they want with our .p3d's.

Now the textures are a different matter. Does the conversion to .paa and .pac mean that Bis also has IP rights over these?

What about .paa's converted with Feersum's PaaTool? Do Bis have the rights to textures converted with 3rd party software?

EDIT:

Fischkopp posted this while I was typing which begins to place things in a different light.

@Heatseeker: Tim Morton, leader of Savage Entertainment, asked me fo permission to use my hmmwv for DARWARS and i have given it to him. So, it was ok to use my stuff.

EDIT2: Thought it polite to spell Fischkopp's name correctly smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are Cancelled!

sorry but i don’t want see somebody sell my work

I think it’s a bit early to start saying things like this until BIS make a very clear statement about their position and the way that BBN have used community addons.

But if it does turn out to be against the interests of the community i wont be making or releasing (or allowing to be released) any RKSL made addons either.

I don’t mind making addons for free for the community if no one makes money from them.  But if BIS take or allow other to take our hard work and resell it for profit then that’s just wrong and I won’t support a company like that.

That's good to hear.

From what you've said and what Terpentin said earlier (BWMod's MAN trucks have been altered for use in the program by the looks), it does seem that addonmakers who have had their stuff used in DARWARS are being contacted for their permission. There's no issue here so long as they ask for everything they use, same as it is amonst people making any mod for the game.

The situation needs looking into before any comment can be made, until then I think it's prudent to close this discussion until the facts are known.

I would ask that any addon maker who feels that their work is being used without their permission Emails details directly to me, stating clearly what their addon is, and where they have seen it being used.

Placebo@bistudio.com

Whilst I fully understand that people are unhappy and want to air their grievances and find some resolution for the situation, I would ask that people bring their complaints directly to me, not so that we can keep it quiet but so that the facts can be gathered fully and without any undue distractions by those not directly involved in the situation.