Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

JIP

In Elite i played mainly co-op (own made) missions on XBL.

JIP typically works like this:

I start a mission for 6 soldiers. Mission takes avg 30-60 minutes I'm starting with 1 XBL friend, the other 4 are AI.

Now if DURING the mission another XBL friend joins (e.g. by my invite ... XBL is excellent stuff;) he/she take the place of one AI soldier, so in fact he/she jumps directly into the action.

Good stuff esp. if you just want to have a good co-op time with friends and don't want to restart all the time.

Btw, this JIP is in fact a way to have respawns!!! I could do above mission all by myself and everytime i die i take the place of a still living AI soldier (until of course they all have died)

Since we'll have JIP now, we must also have the ability to kick people in-game now right? I just don't remember if they said it.

Since we'll have JIP now, we must also have the ability to kick people in-game now right?  I just don't remember if they said it.

We already could kick people in-game.

#kick Stendac

#reassign

As the topic suggest I was talking about JIP and not mission design possibilities in general.

What I ment was:

The mission designer (person, not software) should be able to enable/ disable JIP after my opnion.

I think, as others have said, Join In Play should initaly be down to the mission designer.  He/she specifies to dissable fully or allow.

If Dissabled, then no JIP

Else

The server administrator has the option to;

Allow;

JIP allowed as specified by designer

Dissable

No Join in Play at all.

I think thats the best way to go about it.

BIS, I tell you what, why not release a MP demo and a few patches to alter the JIP and we'll let you know soon enough what we think...

wink_o.gif

Ok,

I am not sure how many people that replied here actually run a dedicated server for OFP, our Gaming Group does, here is our opinion.

We feel that JIP will definatley attract more people to the game as waiting in the lobby has been one of the biggest dissapointments of the game for many players.

We in our Gaming Group believe that the Server Admin should make the decision if JIP is available to players.

The Server Admin usually confers with the players of an existing game for a #reassign anyhow and should make the final decision if the mission being played could handle a person joining part wat through the mission.

The Server Admin ... should make the final decision if the mission being played could handle a person joining part wat through the mission.

Surely thats for the mission designer to decide.

I still think the best way is for the designer to allow it or not then, if it is allowed, the server administrator can decide to allow it in that sesion.

Stegman - Why would you let the mission designer have the ability to stop people from JIP into remaining Living Playable AI's?

Juding by ofp:elite and what people have said here, you'll be stuck in lobby if there are no more living playable ai's.

Well we want to do that in some cases since it could ruine the story or some other ting like mabey a script.

The Unknown

well what M.D. should do is have respawn point FAR from battle field then have a transport doing a loop so that they hop in and join the battle like reinforcements.

@stegman

As we think that OFP is a special type of Game for Special type of Players, (no comparison to some of the others I.e. BF, RVS....), the Server Admin would be able to make the best decision regarding a mission being able to handle JIP, also most present dedicated servers run with people who sort of know each other anyhow. (From our experince with OFP)

Therefore there would or could be a full option of "No JIP", "Partial (password protected) option" or "Full open, whom ever JIP"

Also, I would think that a standard would be automatically set as to how missions would be written and Mission Hosts (servers) would not have to worry about: Is this or that mission JIP compatible).

I think we already have enough issues with Mission and Addon conflicts.

If or should I say when JIP is made available, having it as a core part of the Game would eliminate any potential future problems.

In closing I think the Mission developers have enough to work on, never mind trying to figure out: Can this guy be replaced in game or not?

Humm, after writing the above I admit that with Objective based type missions JIP there might be an issue.

I was thinking more on the lines of Vs or Coop type Missions such as CTI.

Oh well I guess we will find out shortly. xmas_o.gif

@stegman

As we think that OFP is a special type of Game for Special type of Players, (no comparison to some of the others I.e. BF, RVS....), the Server Admin would be able to make the best decision regarding a mission being able to handle JIP, also most present dedicated servers run with people who sort of know each other anyhow. (From our experince with OFP)

Therefore there would or could be a full option of "No JIP", "Partial (password protected) option" or "Full open, whom ever JIP"

Also, I would think that a standard would be automatically set as to how missions would be written and Mission Hosts (servers) would not have to worry about: Is this or that mission JIP compatible).

I think we already have enough issues with Mission and Addon conflicts.

If or should I say when JIP is made available, having it as a core part of the Game would eliminate any potential future problems.

In closing I think the Mission developers have enough to work on, never mind trying to figure out: Can this guy be replaced in game or not?

Humm, after writing the above I admit that with Objective based type missions JIP there might be an issue.

Oh well I guess we will find out shortly.  xmas_o.gif

Well its not OFP is it....and why limit the game for "special players" thats not the way to make buisness confused_o.gif

I dont think you udnerstand what JIP is....simply join in while the mission has already started without waiting 45 minutes till its done...or refreshing mission when someone else joins in.

Sometimes we use the far respawn -> loop setup.. normally on bigger missions (manouvres).

On small squad misions behind enemy lines, it is not a good idea to have respawn as it shotens the replay-abillity lenght of the mission and therefore puts pressure on the MD to produce produce produce.

BIS have made nice possibilities for non-respawn, Base respawn and Group respawn I hope that that they just make a new string for desciption.ext alike

Yes with CTI style missions players should join in at any time, while objective driven missions should be down to the Mission editor, who will have more of an idea if a man should be respawnable.

I don’t think you understand what JIP is....simply join in while the mission has already started without waiting 45 minutes till its done...or refreshing mission when someone else joins in.

We do understand. I just think that on certain types of missions, the mission editor would be in a better position to decide if would adversely affect the mission.

Oh well I guess we will find out shortly.

Quite right. I'm sure it'll be done very profesionally. smile_o.gif

I just think that on certain types of missions, the mission editor would be in a better position to decide if would adversely affect the mission.

I ask again, how would it affect the mission? You don't recieve a respawn point because of JIP or anything.

I ask again, how would it affect the mission? You don't recieve a respawn point because of JIP or anything.

Hmmm...How do I explain this...?

Some great mission designer makes a black op for three players.  If no human takes the place of one of the available slots, the AI will not take the role.  

Say you and me set up a server and want to play together.  We pick our guys and guns and head off to make trouble...after forgetting to lock the server..

There we are sneaking around, planting explosives and coordinating our attack.  Then, after 2 hours, suddenly, Punk@55 joins in! Some little 13 year old n00b.  He starts running around shooting at every thing (maybe even us), setting of our charges, making a right bloody mess of things and destroying all our hard playing!

In Ofp there was a feature to disable any unused playable characters.  In JIP, if the mission editor doesn’t enable this feature punk@55 n00b could spoil loads of games.

Or maybe, me as a kick ass mission editor wants to be a right barsteward and make the players decision to go in with half a team irreversible (no PMing your buddies on MSN for help).

Now on a CTI style mission, then yes one guy could start it, he's playing around for a while then another player joins in. Then another and another.  This is a great idea.  Or even on a death match setup, CYF or other traditional mP game.  But on the above examples I think the mission editor should have the first say if his mission will feature JIP.  If he allows it, then the server admin can decide

That's why you have 1: passworded servers 2: have the group leader choose when to accept the new player into the squad.

Does anyone know if one were to join a server and want to "occupy" an existing AI character, what does the selection menu look like?

Some great mission designer makes a black op for three players.  If no human takes the place of one of the available slots, the AI will not take the role.  

Say you and me set up a server and want to play together.  We pick our guys and guns and head off to make trouble...after forgetting to lock the server..

There we are sneaking around, planting explosives and coordinating our attack.  Then, after 2 hours, suddenly, Punk@55 joins in! Some little 13 year old n00b.  He starts running around shooting at every thing (maybe even us), setting of our charges, making a right bloody mess of things and destroying all our hard playing!

What's the difference weather he joins during the mission or ahead of time?

If he goes bananas and starts tking right away you haven't invested all that time. You can, #kick, and #restart. If you are on hour 2 or 200, it's more time invested.

What's the difference weather he joins during the mission or ahead of time?

in the example i gave, we forgot to lock it and didn't only wanted to play with two of us.

So you can see no ocation when you wouldn't want a random player to join you?

You want random people to JIP and be able to play but you don't want random people to JIP? Make sense. What do you want.

You want random people to JIP and be able to play but you don't want random people to JIP? Make sense. What do you want.

Read it again.  

Some missions will suite it, others wont.

Regardless of whether it suites the mission or not, JIP should always be enabled for when things get messy and people drop out in the middle of that same mission that took so much effort, so that they may reconnect and enjoy finishing it.