Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

JIP

Will we be able to turn off JIP in ArmA?

I see OFP:E doesn't have this feature, so im interested in hearing if it will be able to turn it off?

Not only by scripting, but will you create a lobby, where people can stay if the mission designer doesn't want people to observe the mission?

Not only by scripting, but will you create a lobby, where people can stay if the mission designer doesn't want people to observe the mission?

The question is: should this be something determined by mission designer, or by game host / server admin, or by players currently playing the game?

Each of this requires different approach to implementation.

This would be nice if ArmA has this feature. Mission Designer and Admin should control these settings as some missions won't allow respawning as for players hmm maybe by a vote or something.. ._.

The question is: should this be something determined by mission designer, or by game host / server admin, or by players currently playing the game?

i reckon mission editor ..kind of like the respawn options..

some like it some dont

i reckon people should still be able to join the server while people are playing..it would be rude to completely lock them out of the server..

join and spectate would be ace for coop wink_o.gif

I would like to see few choices for admin:

-Full JIP

-Limited JIP (spectate only)

-Lobby screen only (what we have now in PC OFP)

-Lock server

Admin should also be able to change these setting during game. For example a coop mission with spectate setting could be quickly changed to full JIP to give "reinforcements" in tough situations. Also an option for admin to make global channel work only for those in lobby or spectate mode.

I would find it normal that the mission designer AND the

server admin can change this setting. I would think that

mission designers wouldn't like to have JIP on in there coop

missions, because it sort of wrecks the realism.

When it comes to CTF, TDM, DM and C&H you might consider

that JIP is an ideal thing to have, since you have to complete

the whole mission until you can bring in new players.

People don't have the whole day to wait for one server to

finish and people normaly want to play where there is a great

deal of players already. This again can cause less servers

online since everyone is sticking to the same servers,

because there is more people on that specific server.

But to make a it a bit of a free choice I think server admins

also needs to get this ability to turn on and off JIP, and not

only the mission designers.

I fear that JIP might cause a greater risk of spammers and

cheaters because they can just log on, spam or cheat, leave

and then back again. So I really hope a better anti-

spam/cheat system has been made.

I think I've made my point there.gif

I hope...

determined by mission designer

as he can offer different possibilities to admins (and players sort of) by implementing it as a mission param !

Quote[/b] ]

Three options:

A) Mission Designer

B) Admin

C) Players in game.

If you're looking at B) or C) as opposed to A), then yes, it requires different implementation. If you make it A), then the mission designer will be able to support or not to support B) and C). How the MD supports it depends on implementation.

If it's implemented as a description.ext value, like the current Respawn, then the MD builds separate missions, with and without, and thus implements B). C) can be brought in with some fancy handlers/scripting to make joined-in-progress players in a non-JIP game "Spectators"

Quote[/b] ]JIP would seriously change coop gameplay.. i hope it can be disabled

Jip could be a great addition to serious coop play.

With the kind of missions we play on zeus in mind a mission design with incorperates a system where players that JIP spawn in a base from with they could be transported to the front every 5 or 10 minutes by ai or human players(to function as fresh cannon fodder).

Would you be afraid to get players ingame that dont want to adjust to the gameplay needed for the played mission you can always pw the server.

I know for sure that Jip would save many folks from frustration about the many reassigns.

Letting the game host/server admin control this would suffice for our group...

Just my 0.20 SEK

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

I hope this JIP doesnt make a wee blip every time someone joins I think its americas army or something, I do not want to see every time my game blip and end up gettin shot because of it whistle.gif

Generally, I would agree with the suggestion of others before me:

3. Mission

2. Server

1. Player/Admin

The mission gets the least significance, as if it would be predominant, we would end with n numbers of copies of the same mission with edited JIP functionality. (hehe, I already said that in the Multiplayer thread of the Game 2 Suggestion forum 2.5years ago)

Server and Player/Admin are more or less equivalent from my point of view. What interest has a server admin or clan how the games are played on their server while they are not logged in? So the server setting would probably just define a default setting for the toggle which can be flipped by the currently active players/Admin.

However, what has also to be defined is the kind of spawn of players with JIP.

Thinking of COOP and similar missions like Attack&Defend, Server and Admin enabled JIP can only work if spawned into already present AI. Spawns at the original start point are impossible in OFP, just think about a mission that starts on an island with the insertion by choppers. Spawns in the vincinity of other players could end in TK orgies...

Mission controlled JIP on the other hand could be quite nicely integrated in the form of objective based reinfocements. The mission design could even go further and define new objectives and strength of opposition depending on the number of spawning players.

E.g. a mission where the initial mission is to take two villages with the proposition of potential aid of another squad for a two-pronged attack on the second village.

If JIP is enabled the second squad could spawn after the first objective was taken and join the attack on the second target.

If JIP is disabled (by server or players decision) the original squad would have to attack alone, maybe against weaker defences...

Last but not least, different missions might require different kinds of respawns, thinking about Deathmatch, CTI or COOP...

Might actually be generally a good idea to read the first pages of the Multiplayer Suggestions for Game 2 - a lot of good suggestions and discussions on JIP can be found there...

I think it should be determined by the missionmaker. It would be nice if the admin could lock the server when the game has already started, that way he can limit JIP. I think that when a player joins a server and there is JIP it would be smooth if he could select what he wants to spawn into with a screen that looks the way the setup screen looks when you pick slots. This way the player can choose what side/group/class he wants assuming the missionmaker allows respawn in more than one side/group/class. If the missionmaker has enabled the ability to join as seagul or spawn at base then there could be a slot on the civilian side called seagul and on each side there could be a base slot at the top.

Example image, copy and paste (not so great):

http://inqwiper.sphosting.com/example.JPG

It would also be nice that the JIP system allows someone who's crashed or disconnected to re-join the server and resume the game he was in even if JIP is not enabled per se on a specific server or mission. Something like using player's ID to reassign him in his AI avatar as long as it is alive for instance in non-respawn coops.

Mission designer.. if have to choose one.

Lets say in description.ext

respawn=base

respawndelay=4

and then just

JIP= enabled

and it will copy the same as default "player" are, would be good enough in most COOP..

but also give the tools for more advance stuff by a script like:

onJIP.sqs

server admin stuff (this if more energy is put on cti, ctf type of missions) should be like..

LockAfterGameStart = true

AutoTeamBalance = false

the "goal" should be that a mission designer can do a "battlefield" mod, you can choose side, class.. alot of stuff and at the same time that with little to no codning outside the editor can make a coop with join in progress.

Like todays mission, one trigger and a few units you got a mission, or put alot of scripts and you got a very dynamic mission.

Provide the tools/options for advance stuff, but dont make it too hard.

thats how i want it.

JIP in COOP would be great imho.

I think people are getting JIP confused with Respawn.

In COOP you have a team of 8 but only 6 people are playing, so the extra 2 guys are run by AI. So if we had JIP in COOP someone could join and take over one of those AI team members. What is the big deal with that? I think that would be sweet.

There is no "join back at base" or "reinforcements" because they are joining as that team member that was there from the start, they were just being run by the computer and now they are a real person.

In DM, TDM, C&H, etc where there is respawn then of course it makes sense to have JIP back at the spawn point, but not in a COOP mission.

I can't wait for this. I'm really excited for ArmA and JIP is one of the features I'm most looking forward to.

There is no "join back at base" or "reinforcements" because they are joining as that team member that was there from the start, they were just being run by the computer and now they are a real person.

oh yes, you know better than them what people need for their coops !

If you don't need to be able to manage newly joined players for your coop missions, so good for you, WE (at Zeus) and others would like and need it and this would give a whole new dimension to mission making. If the only way for you is Coop with AI and no respawn let us envision better alternatives to our tastes, like managed respawns (not instant ones) that are annoying and long enough to be dissuasive but wouldnt let players wait for literally HOURS that a mission ends. In the same spirit, managing new comers clearance to join at mission level will also ensure that most people will prefer to join at start if possible and really attend the briefing, or, they'll have to be managed as respawned ones (recruits/reinforcement that need that someone assign a transport to take them to the front line for instance)

It would be nice if a player who lost the connection (for whatever reason) could rejoin and take over his character again.

I would imagine JIP would be pretty mission dependant - there would be some missions where JIP would be fantastic, and others where it would be totally inappropriate...

I think JIP is most needed for the longer CTI games in co-op or vs, also good for DM or CTF like all the FPS have, hopefully if someone has a problem mid game and crashes for whatever reason then they can come back in and play again instead of waiting for hours and hours.

determined by mission designer

as he can offer different possibilities to admins (and players sort of) by implementing it as a mission param !

Nice idea! That is exactly what we would want!

Server and admin controled for adversarial but no JIP in coop maps, the players that conected after the mission started should only be able to spectate.

In a no respawn coop map JIP would defeat the purpose plus there would be the usual joe joining the game, TKing or screwing up the mission and leave, JIP could seriously ruin serious coop games...

For adversarial JIP will be a good thing, despite the idiots that will join a game just to tk their team and screw things up then leave the server but for coop i dont like it and i think spectate only would be much better smile_o.gif .

Spectating settings could be implemented has map design options, seagull mode, spectate other players (good to see if they cheat), maybe even spectate has other ground animals wink_o.gif ... Good spectating options would ease the wait smile_o.gif .