Sign in to follow this  
timmy_the_tortoise

cross hair

First of all I don't see why you guys automatically think this is a feature. If it is a feature then how come it is not listed anywhere as being one? I think this really is a bug BIS missed and one reason why I don't use no crosshair is because IT IS INSANE TO DRIVE WITHOUT IT ON biggrin_o.gif too many incidents with trees, fellow squadmates and not to mention a couple CO's and unhappy campers :S yay.gif

Would you list:

-Able to walk

or

- You can fire your gun

as features?

Crosshairs and 3rd person is bad, Mkay?

why should you not be able to walk when you fire a weapon, spec ops do it all the time in fact they train doing so. My point is just cause I like the freedom of seeing the character model I am, doesn't mean I cheat or am a noob or etc. Afterall what good are all these ding dang addons if you only see a gun and some arms? Point stated, I rest my case. I think it does no justice to the addon makers to spend all that time an effort just for some guy to ridicule people of playing in 3rd person view. Why else would addon makers make stuff so well? Its rare that you ever find yourself in such close proximity with the enemy, usually 100m out engagements. So don't try to impose your philospohy of 1st person view on me, And this has gone way off topic. The topic was the cross hairs and it seems to me that its a bug and that it should be addressed by BIS becasue it makes their game less than perfect. I can sit here and tell you that the screwed up support WP's in MP is a feature BIS did that intentionally so that MP support units would be human. POPPYCOCK! :P pistols.gifnener.gif

The crosshairs are only there for a guide of where the gun will be pointing when you aim with the iron sights, crosshairs are not there to be a accurate way of aiming. So I dont know what you guys are complaining about if you cant hit targets properly with the crosshairs lol, thats not what OFP is about.

then why can you hit it just fine in 1st person view with the crosshairs, in 3rd person view you can't hit the target with the crosshairs on it you need to aim higher... It is the same with the vehicles. Explain to me why the vehicles are the same? Another feature BIS put in? If thats so for the infantry then the vehicles would be different wouldn't they? Face it guys its a bug BIS missed, your wishfull thinking doesn't explain why the same applies to vehicles? Let me guess is it because your head is not closer on the sights?? Thats a load of balogne, try this.... Fly an AH-1 in first person view... Use FFAR's to take out a T80 using the crosshairs. Now try it in 3rd person view and aim right for where the crosshairs are. See the difference? You waste more rockets taking it out in 3rd person view because the crosshairs are not truely depicting where the rounds will land. Unlike in 1st person view, where it hits dead on.

Using crosshairs in 1st person view as a soldier is not accurate either.

The 3rd person view is also only there to give players more of a view of whats going on, not to be able to shoot and aim accurately which would be stupid.

It's not a bug, if you want to aim properly in a tank or vehicle use the proper aiming view as gunner and not the 3rd person view, would make the game pointless if it was like how you wanted it to be.

Again, the game was not designed to be shooting in 3rd person view, why dont you use 3rd person view to look around if thats what you like and then change over to 1st person and use the iron sights to shoot which is far more accurate.

then why can you hit it just fine in 1st person view inside a helo whereas in 3rd person view in a helo its not as accurate as in 1st person view... There is some kind of descrepancy between the two views and it affects the accuracy in vehicles... As a soldier and even with hand grenades when using 3rd person view. If I hear one more smartarse comment about turning off crosshair and 3rd person view i'm gonna, i'm gonna pistols.gifpistols.gifnener.gifpistols.gifbanghead.gifpistols.gifgoodnight.gifband.gif

The point is that this is an issue and until BIS comments on it I am considering it as a bug, becasue all of your explainations do not explain why in a helicopter or airplane accuracy is still affected eventhough you are at that point not using a sidearm or a rifle. :P

You can aim, shoot and walk at the same time in ofp and it's quite accurate too. Most accurate directions are forward, left+forward, left+backward and right+backward.

And in most missions you have a team, so you don't need the 3rd person view to see the models.

And IMO third person crosshair is always a compromise, it cannot be 100% accurate. I could try to make a drawing to explain this. Using a laser sight would work in third person too but that's not a crosshair is it.

The crosshairs are lined up from the soldiers head view which changes the crosshairs in 3rd person view (Causing that view to not be as accurate which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned), again I dont see why this should be changed as it would make OFP like playing Grand Theft Auto using 3rd person view to aim accurately.

If you want OFP to have a accurate 3rd person view then you should play something else as I'm sure BIS dont want OFP like this, it would make the whole game pointless of what it simulates.

ok.. let me try to explain this alittle..

the cross hairs in first and third person views are different than the sight view for a real simple and yet difficult to explain reason.

ok picture this. two long lines parallel to one another. the top line is the weapons sight line, and the bottem line is the berrals sight line.

now when you fire a round down range you notice that the bullet drops as it gets farther. this is known as the projectile trajectory. this trajectory isnt flat,but an ever increasing arc(as the projectile slows it continues to drop).

since the bullet drops it will never be in line with the weapon sight. so what has been done to make the sight usable, is that gun makers have changed the angle of the weapon sight in relation to the berral. the sight is sorta leaned forward. this is done so that when you look through the sight at a flat angle the berral is slightly angled up. this causes the bullet to gain hight instead of drop. now you well get an arc that crosses the sight line of the weapon sight. now the weapon sight is adjested so that the bullet crosses its line of sight at the point where it reached the apex of it's trajectory(arc).

hope you people arnt lost yet biggrin_o.gif

ok its the same thing in OFP.

the first person view's sight is higher and to the left of the weapon sight. and since the cross hairs are placed at a given distance from the weapon, if you are not at the distance from your target you will miss.

those cross hairs are there just to give you an idea of where you are aiming.

now as for cross hairs that are centered and dont move.

they just plain suck! they dont show you the weapons true trajectory. what those games do is have the bullet come strait out from your sight line. thats like looking down the berral, and we all know that in real life you cant do that.

thats why games like Reven Shield and Swat 4 have the so called eye level exploite. in which case you can get behind an object with just the top of your head showing and yet you have a perfect shot. other look at you and only see your head and not your gun. this pisses alot of people off including myself.

if you cant see the other players gun, then he has no shot.

i hope this rant has explained why ofp cross hairs are the way they are.

PS. this also applies to vehicles. vehicle sights are also set up that same way as the sights on a weapon. that is why you cant aim right in third person.

@Baz:

If you can name one game (other than the original Hidden and Dangerous) that has perfectly lined up fixed crosshairs in a third person view, let alone one with dynamic, non-centered crosshairs (that are part of the GUI overlay, as opposed to being a physical object), I'll eat my shorts and send you a video of the act. Fact is, crosshairs in a third person view are never going to be 100% accurate simply because of the distance and angle between eyepoint and muzzle. The only way to have a 100% accurate crosshair is to go the way of the original Hidden and Dangerous and have a physical crosshair that positions itself in the world based on a raycast from the muzzle. Which has its own set of problems in and of itself.

Besides. Think of the crosshair as an overly-accurate approximation of aiming over the sights (as opposed to through them). Yes, I said overly-accurate.

the crosshair just depends on the view you are in, and focusses from a different angle, therefor, I made a small pic (very fast made tounge2.gif )

crosshair.jpg

the crosshair is the most accurate one, 1D is very accurate aswell, but as you can see, for 3D you always have to shoot a bit higher to hit the target, just because the crosshair is a bit higher.

correct me if I'm wrong

Crosshair in 3D-view is not a bug; the probem where you hit is simply not decisible because you are projecting a 3D-scene on a 2D-screen.

Just a simple question: When you are aiming into the air (in 3D-view), where actually should the cross hair appear?

The difference between 1st person view and 3rd person view is, that in 1st person you have a line of sight with the cross hair and can therefore put the cross hair in an "infinite" distance, the bullet can't get "behind" the cross hair.

In 3rd person view the case is different: The line of sight begins from the 3D-model, not from your screen, therefore you have to project the cross hair somewhere on that line of sight, but not in the infinite distance (in that case you probably could not see the cross hair). Therefore the bullet can get "behind" the cross hair and can hit anywhere but not where the cross hair points to.

I hope that this is somehow understandable smile_o.gif

I'm a bit bothered by this too. Sometimes I like to play in third person, and while it's not very realistic, I play the game to have fun. Having the crosshair be a physical object is the best (or only?) solution I have seen. But it should not change size, as that doesn't look very good. I don't know how difficult it would be to have it retain the same size no matter the distance, but it would be cool.

It's not that big deal for me though, as I usually play in first person and without crosshairs.

As stated in several posted above... Its simply not possible to make an acurate 3rd person crosshair. Unless you position the camera on a straight line behind the gun... Which would render 3rd person useless, since all you would see is the back of the soldier model.

If you play OFP I dont know why people would want such accurate crosshairs in 3rd person view lol, 3rd person view is good for driving vehicles etc, especially online when you have players on your team close by and hopefully not run them over in reverse lol (as we dont have mirrors to see)

If you play OFP I dont know why people would want such accurate crosshairs in 3rd person view lol, 3rd person view is good for driving vehicles etc, especially online when you have players on your team close by and hopefully not run them over in reverse lol (as we dont have mirrors to see)

Lol.. ive run over many teammates in vehicles over the years smile_o.gif

IMO the crosshairs should be kept the same for ArmA, nothing wrong with them the way they are.

The only suggestion would be to have the option to 'ghost' them slightly, make em more transparent so that they hardly stand out on the screen. Most of the time I go without the crosshairs when doing co-op... but throwing grenades becomes hazardous.

I'd like it so that the crosshair is replaced with a larger circle, so it would be usable only for shooting from the hip and as a guide for throwing hand grenades and aiming grenade launcher. And of course, the gun shouldn't be accurately aimed in the centre of the circle in this scenario.

hmm...Using crosshair is kinda lame, especially in ofp.

But using only IR sights in ofp is...anoying...

It`s a matter of time, I know, I`m using it all the time, but you all have to admit that we need really kick ass IR sights for ArmA or G2...

I posted it many times, others posted it aswell, and if bis reads our suggestions they`ll do something about it...hopefuly whistle.gif

So once again, as Metal Heart says, cross hairs shouldn`t be as accurate as they are now...

hmm...Using crosshair is kinda lame, especially in ofp.

But using only IR sights in ofp is...anoying...

It`s a matter of time, I know, I`m using it all the time, but you all have to admit that we need really kick ass IR sights for ArmA or G2...

I posted it many times, others posted it aswell, and if bis reads our suggestions they`ll do something about it...hopefuly whistle.gif

So once again, as Metal Heart says, cross hairs shouldn`t be as accurate as they are now...

Well, I agree that the iron sights should be improved, but we don't need "kickass iron sights".

I want to line up the iron sights with the enemy and shoot him, not staring at them and telling myself how good they look. All those high detail iron sights just detract from the targets.

Sorry for using "kick ass" to express what I thought about IR sights, It was lame, but It`s very important to me...

I meant we need really good ones because this game shouldn`t have croshairss at all imho...

It won`t be only IR sight game, because some ppl still want to use cross hairs, but making IR more sophisticated will help those who are using it now, and won`t frighten away those who aren`t using it at all.

It`s one of the most important thing in fpp game...I mean It`s what you basicaly do in this type of game, you`re shooting. And IR sights with targeting system (head movement controlled by IR tracker) should be done as much realistic as it can be...together with AI and physics naturally...

Ofp iron sights aren`t realistic crazy_o.gif  In fact they are annoying and insufficient.

Using IR sights is the most realistic way to play the game, yes, but It`s not realistic at all with this kind of stuff.

There was a thread in G2 suggestions forum about it, quite underestimated I must say (and no, I did not started it tounge2.gif ).

On topic a bit: I`m not against cross hairs, I just want IR sights more sophisticated, that`s all...

edit:

When you`re on a battlefield you don`t think `wow, my sights are so nice`. What I want is to make them, both working and looking, like a real gun thing. Of course it would be really nice to have IR done in fully 3d. There was an argument about that which way is better 2d or 3d as I remember...But we should probably dig up that old thread for this kind of disscusion.

Baz, it does seem like a bug to me too that in 3rd person your sights are off. Because wether you are standing or prone they are off, just as they are with the vehicles in 3rd.

Alsol if you want really realisitic iron sights, than you might want to add windage and elevation adjustments wow_o.gif But i dont know if I would like that too much though.

And a tip.... you can use 3rd person to run around and get a viewing advantage and then press"v" to bring up your iron sights immediatly from 3rd and when you run it will go back to 3rd.

Then as soon as you stop running...bam...back to the iron sights.

This gives you maximum visibility while manuevering and max accuracy when shooting.

yay.gif

I'd vote no xhair's at all!! Iron sights and scope's using 'v' is great for accurate shots, otherwise if firing from the hip or without focusing on the sight/scope then it should rely on your ability to guess. They should have a safety switch on weapon's also.