Sign in to follow this  
timmy_the_tortoise

cross hair

I must confess, that I've only ever played the OFP demos, but when playing I noticed that the cross hair doesn't stay in the middle of the screen like on conventional first person shooters. The rest of the game was brilliant, I loved the way the AI spotted enemy movements, casualties and such then could relay that info to you, but this thing with the cross hair made it hard for me to get into the game and get very good. I was wondering if BI were going to change this on AA because it stopped me from enjoying the game because it was so hard to hit anything. I am definitely going to get AA despite this, but I would prefer it if the cross hair stayed in the centre of the screen as this would make the game easier and more enjoyable.

I must confess, that I've only ever played the OFP demos, but when playing I noticed that the cross hair doesn't stay in the middle of the screen like on conventional first person shooters.

Well you can't aim when you're moving right? whistle.gif

I must confess, that I've only ever played the OFP demos, but when playing I noticed that the cross hair doesn't stay in the middle of the screen like on conventional first person shooters.

It's impossible to aim perfectly while you're moving and even if you're stay put, you must breathe... welcome.gif

If you lay down it won't move much, but it will always move, like in real, try to point a laser at the same spot from 10 meters, you will certainly won't be able to do so wink_o.gif

I think I can speak for the majority of the forum members when I say that would be a bad idea!

We like the game for the realistic aspects and would not want console type interfaces - those are not realistic movements. A lot of servers run in veteran mode with no x-hair so if you want to 'aim' you need to pull up the sight.

Glad you're gonna purchase ArmA - see you there biggrin_o.gif

And the lack of ofp style view that has no attached crosshair (ie. I can turn my head to the right) is bothering me in other "realistic" games. Feels like somebody glued the gun to my head.

Think he means that he wasn't 'locked' to the center of his view. You know.. Well, maybe you don't.  

In *makes bunny-ear air quote* "fun" games, the player doesn't have arms.  They are just this blob of a head that happens to be armed with a rocket laun.. What, you get it? oh.. O.K.  Sorry rofl.gif

It's so different to see OFP from a new perspective

*Sorry, late post*

The non-centered crosshair is the best part of OFP. The fact is that the way aiming is handled in OFP is far superiour to other games which uses the same old style as early arcade games did in the 80's. You aim where the gun points and not where you look. If you miss your target it's always because the gun isn't aimed correctly at the target, even when sprinting. Other games have some sort of random hit area and the size of that area depends on if you are running or standing still.

As a matter of fact the view is locked to aiming when you aim (in case you didn't know, aiming is done through the sights on the gun smile_o.gif default key "V").

I think one issue and it has to do with the crosshair. Its the difference at hitting a point using only the crosshair in 1st person and 3d person view. You will find that in 1st person view you can hit the target accurately, however in 3rd person view using the crosshair... The crosshair does not depict correctly where the rounds will land. Thus to compensate you aim a bit high to score a hit, but the crosshair is off the target then. There seems to be a discrepancy between 3rd person view when using the crosshair. I think its because BIS never compensated for the difference of POV in 3rd person view Vs. 1st person view, as far as the crosshairs are conserned. If you don't beleive me try it yourself in the editor, see if you can hit the target the same accuracy as in 1st person view with the crosshair on the same location.

I think one issue and it has to do with the crosshair. Its the difference at hitting a point using only the crosshair in 1st person and 3d person view. You will find that in 1st person view you can hit the target accurately, however in 3rd person view using the crosshair... The crosshair does not depict correctly where the rounds will land. Thus to compensate you aim a bit high to score a hit, but the crosshair is off the target then. There seems to be a discrepancy between 3rd person view when using the crosshair. I think its because BIS never compensated for the difference of POV in 3rd person view Vs. 1st person view, as far as the crosshairs are conserned. If you don't beleive me try it yourself in the editor, see if you can hit the target the same accuracy as in 1st person view with the crosshair on the same location.

the reason for this is that in first person the distance between the "eye" and the barrel is just a few centimeters where it´s about one meter or more in third person view.

imagine the crosshair as a mark on the virtual extension of that barrel at some distance (i dunno, 50 meters?), so if you shoot at something at very close range the bullet will impact below the crosshair, as your view crosses the line of fire at that given distance... well, you all know that by yourselves biggrin_o.gif

edit: damn, this is some crappy explanation...

I always have the crosshair disabled, i think the crosshair is a dumb element and makes players shoot without using their sights or aim properly, it also looks hell ugly to have the crosshair on my display.

It is rather disapointing that most MP servers still use the crosshair, even after 4.5 years. After you get used to not having it you will never go back, trust me wink_o.gif .

Point:

I dont care about what the crosshair is like because i'll disable it anyway, i would like it if it was removed actually smile_o.gif .

I always have the crosshair disabled, i think the crosshair is a dumb element and makes players shoot without using their sights or aim properly, it also looks hell ugly to have the crosshair on my display.

It is rather disapointing that most MP servers still use the crosshair, even after 4.5 years. After you get used to not having it you will never go back, trust me wink_o.gif .

Point:

I dont care about what the crosshair is like because i'll disable it anyway, i would like it if it was removed actually smile_o.gif .

I think it's a fair way to make up for the fact you cannot "feel" where you're pointing the gun smile_o.gif .

I have played without, and came to that conclusion. though I more or less automaticly use V, unless i'm in CQB smile_o.gif .

it should be done more realistic ... after you sprinted so long as you can  you are still able to shoot accurate in ofp ... plz change that

well my argument is that the two sights (1st person view and 3rd person view) there really should be no "parralax" effect when playing. IE: if u aim at the head of guba in 1st person view and hit his head, it should have the same effect in 3rd person view you shouldn't have to aim a bit higher and thus take the crosshair off the target and put it above instead to obtain a hit. Sure you can go ahead and defend it by "its the way it is IRL" but in a game, it looks like its more of a BUG than a feature to me. It just seems to me that the dev's forgot about the POV difference when they were makeing the crosshairs in 3rd person view. Perhaps Suma or Maruk could explain if this is a bug or a feature? I truely think its just a bug that was never looked at.

why running in third person to kill.. i mean, okey that ofp is played by "n00s" that doesnt want the game realistic (why they bought it is another story).. but even if you always play in cadet, want bunny jumpy functions like counter strike.. why do you want to be able to run around in third person and fire?

thats like the über last thing i would like the dev's to put energy on.

It just seems to me that the dev's forgot about the POV difference when they were makeing the crosshairs in 3rd person view.

don´t be so hard on them, this surely is not easy to code biggrin_o.gif

edit: grammar

Ok go ahead and tease me for playing in 3rd person view... I feel more immersed and more like a RPG in 3rd person view because I can see my cool soldier with all his kick arse gear and I get a better view of the battlefield. Im not a noob i've been playing this game for 4 years and it started with CWC. I was merely suggesting to fix that POV issue because it is kinda annoying that the crosshair doesn't match. My 2 cents, oh and BTW I do use the iron sights I even have it mapped to my mouse :P

Ok go ahead and tease me for playing in 3rd person view... I feel more immersed and more like a RPG in 3rd person view because I can see my cool soldier with all his kick arse gear and I get a better view of the battlefield. Im not a noob i've been playing this game for 4 years and it started with CWC. I was merely suggesting to fix that POV issue because it is kinda annoying that the crosshair doesn't match. My 2 cents, oh and BTW I do use the iron sights I even have it mapped to my mouse :P

When i SP sometimes i switch betwean 1st and 3rd person perspectives to look at the cool soldier model but for shooting 1st person is how it should always be.

3rd person view just like comander view are built in cheats because you get to see more than your FOV should allow realisticaly, over distance, objects, etc. So the 3rd person inacurate crosshair can be interpreted has a compromise to compensate for the advantages or to limit 3rd person view abuse.

And playing without crosshair will only be tricky until the player gets used to it, then you start to learn how to throw nades and even cqb shoot without it, its called aquiring skills pistols.gif .

Its very rewarding to play the game without needing the crosshair because you actually feel you are in control and not relying on external help, i strongly recomend people to give it a good try smile_o.gif .

I play in 3rd person view as I think it gives a more realistic field of view compared to first person. OK, you can see around the odd wall but in first person it's like playing in blinkers!  biggrin_o.gif

As for the crosshairs, I have my right mouse button set to change my view to 'sights' but it would be nice to have the crosshairs more accurate for CQB; at the moment they're miles out but I suppose if they tighten them up you'd get people using them all the time instead of switching to a view from the sights so in that case I'd leave them as they are.  confused_o.gif

but in first person it's like playing in blinkers!

true, but well this goes for all fps, doesn´t it? it´s like running around with a shoe carton round your head. then again, there are ways to get around this if you are willing to invest some money... xmas_o.gif

I think everyone here should give 'no crosshair' a try. It feels strange in the beginning but once you get used to it nothing beats it. You do get a feel for the gun and where it's pointing.

As for third person view it's something for the beginners so they can learn to handle the vehicles but when playing as infantry it should be disabled. It's always used for sneaking past corners without actually looking which is nothing but cheating to make the job easier. Not knowing what's behind the corner is a big part of what makes OFP so scary.

I fully support that BIS sticks with the possibility to switch to 3rd person view but they should simply remove the crosshair from 3rd person view while playing as infantry as it's not realistic.

Or maybe you prefer to play OFP like classic shoot 'em up's such as commando?

ccs2.jpg