Sign in to follow this  
Mellis

Virtual Battlespace 2 press release

Bohemia Interactive Australian have developed the new Virtual Battlespace 2, featuring new generation technology.

vbs2_news.jpg

Read the full press release and for more screenshots.

looks like the armed assault engine to me or something  between AA and ofp2 smile_o.gif

odd how theres no normal mapping on the soldier though

Guest major gandhi

notworthy.gif now that really looks like a modern fps graphicwise

Quote[/b] ]New data streaming technology allows VBS2 to support terrain areas of over 100 x 100 kilometers in size and potentially millions of terrain features such as buildings and vegetation. Moving grass and trees and ambient life such as insects and birds provide virtual environments of unparalleled realism, and improved physics and artificial intelligence (AI) make for a truly immersive experience.

looks like it'll be Armed Assault just a lot more better

Quote[/b] ]Loadmaster Virtual Reality Training System

I'd like to know more about this thing

And I'm wondering if it'll be avaiable to the public.

Quote[/b] ]VBS2 provides improved simulation of complex urban areas, including destructible buildings (on request), round penetration through walls and operable doors that can be destroyed. Weapon platforms are also improved, with added capability for thermal imaging, simulation of fire control systems and turret override.

notworthy.gif

I hope some of this will make it´s way into ArmA xmas_o.gif

Anyway, it doesn´t seem to be looking much better than vbs1 imo, except the higher detailed soldier models....

well, we´ll see! biggrin_o.gif

oh yeah, watch the video below. NOW.

I've would love to be on that conference, not only because

of ArmA but how much BIS has learned since OFP: CWC.

BTW: Aiming animation on these pics are different to what we

see in OFP, that might give us a hint wink_o.gif

Looks more like the VBS version of Game 2 to me, definately a generation ahead of ArmA.

Looks more like the VBS version of Game 2 to me, definately a generation ahead of ArmA.

Funny. Looks like old OFP to me. No normalmaps or HDR. Even shadows aren't casted on objects smile_o.gif I don't think it's that much ahead. But models looks quite good.

Yay! Very nice! Although it will cost how much, lol!

Hauk

oh yeah, watch the video below. NOW.

Can't find a link. huh.gif

Forget it, I thought you did mean that there is a VBS2 video. whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]..Due for release in Q3 2006

If that means the military and stuff it could take years untill/if it becomes available for public purchase.. confused_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]..Our current simulation product, VBS1, will continue to be supported by BI for years to come..

Sounds like the military will be geting the goodies while the civilian enthusiasts will continue to purchase nice addons for the old/limited OPF engine, doesnt sound good for me...

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/images/vbs2_itsec.jpg

It looks amazing, very detailed and huge, we need it notworthy.gif .

Funny. Looks like old OFP to me. No normalmaps or HDR. Even shadows aren't casted on objects smile_o.gif I don't think it's that much ahead. But models looks quite good.

Exactly what I thought when seeing the pictures ... but it seems everybody sees what he expects to see ... huh.gif

Exactly what I thought when seeing the pictures ... but it seems everybody sees what he expects to see ... huh.gif

Dont think HDR or normalmapping would be of much value for simulation porpuses really, atleast if i was a professional customer i would rather have cammo textures that blend with the environment more like the real thing, things that are very noticeable in those pics are the detailed buildings and decorations on what appears to be a really huge urban map, with that big of a map its understandable that they might not use full eye candy to maintain good performance but it is still definetly present, now imagine it with good colision detection, interiors and better a.i. The relation betwean graphics and size seems to be very well balanced imo.

Those buildings sure look better than the low poly ones from the old OPF and there is a shitload of them too, i am very impressed, just find it a shame that BIS made so much for the military while we seem to be on hold sad_o.gif .

Just imagining that VBS2 could have been our OPF2 sad_o.gif ...

Those buildings sure look better than the low poly ones from the old OPF and there is a shitload of them too, i am very impressed, just find it a shame that BIS made so much for the military while we seem to be on hold sad_o.gif .

It's not made by BIS but by BIA. It's big difference. And those buildings are nice, but not better looking than Resistance ones. Only newer.

Someone once told me "VBS1 is nothing more than OFP on steroids". While I won't get into my thoughts on that sentiment if you follow the logical conclusion then it might go something like this.......

VBS1 = OFP on steroids, then VBS2 might be compaired to the next gen PC title as the Incredible Hulk. The big question will be accessibilty to the public of VBS2 and more importantly it's add-ons but safe to say that what ever VBS2 is, it could be concievably argued that the next gen PC game will completely blow away the tac-sim gaming market. Leaving big name companies like UBI and EA feeling like.... goodnight.gif

Stout hearts

|RE|Warhawk

[im]http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/images/vbs2_itsec.jpg[/img]>100kb

Check the top-right hand image, you can just see the shadow of the M16 cast on the building.

BTW: Aiming animation on these pics are different to what we

see in OFP, that might give us a hint wink_o.gif

Since the recent patches, VBS1 has had new animations (including the full integration of leaning), so thats not a clue what-so-ever.

It's not made by BIS but by BIA. It's big difference. And those buildings are nice, but not better looking than Resistance ones. Only newer.

Sry, i dont see what is the big diference other than the fact that BIS makes the technology and BIA makes seperate addons and minor tools, they are still conected.

And about the buildings, they do look better but i wasnt refering to the buildings only, i was refering to the overall amount of detail being rendered, it makes Petrovice and Lipany look like tiny towns plus Nogova lagged, we all know that some spots were not very good to make missions at. Then it shows how more powerfull BIS new engine must be because the cities in Tonal were huge and smartly made of low poly buildings and it still lagged like crazy with 3 squads of a.i. in them confused_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]VBS2 provides improved simulation of complex urban areas, including destructible buildings (on request), round penetration through walls and operable doors that can be destroyed. Weapon platforms are also improved, with added capability for thermal imaging, simulation of fire control systems and turret override.

I dont know what turret override is but fire control and thermal imaging sound good to me notworthy.gif .

And about the buildings, they do look better but i wasnt refering to the buildings only, i was refering to the overall amount of detail being rendered, it makes Petrovice and Lipany look like tiny towns plus Nogova lagged, we all know that some spots were not very good to make missions at. Then it shows how more powerfull BIS new engine must be because the cities in Tonal were huge and smartly made of low poly buildings and it still lagged like crazy with 3 squads of a.i. in them confused_o.gif

What eyes you have, judging from those small screenshots smile_o.gif I think it's only matter of opinion. I don't think they are so much better. Judging from VBS1 where was nice and pretty ugly buildings mixed together i can only hope here it will be diferrent. Why VBS cities looks bit more dense is becase they are - in VBS optimized for MP games with mostly living people, you don't need to care that much about confused AI soldiers and leave big holes between houses for better pathfinding. And we will for sure don't know how those VBS2 cities are lagging until we will be able to play in them.

I dont know what turret override is but fire control and thermal imaging sound good to me.

I would like to know more about these three things.

I dont know what turret override is but fire control and thermal imaging sound good to me notworthy.gif .

@Heatseeker

Things like thermal imaging and fire control are the very things that make me wonder about VBS2's availabilty. Depending on the level of detail, the more detail the worse actually, could spell the demise of any VBS2 "community" before it even gets off the ground. Especially if they are talking about the thermal imaging and fire control equipment aboard something like the M1A2 for one example. The upside is this could be seen as a precursor of things to come with the next gen title.

Then again I may be waaaayyyy off base too.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

The graphics remind OPF alot, the colour and texture style, i like it because it all looks very natural, the models look like VBS1 ones i saw in some pics but the M16's actually look alot worse, thats problably irrelevant to the sim aspect so they problably saved on the poly count there, im wondering how many a.i. units and groups it will be able to handle wink_o.gif .

@Warhawk

I doubt BIA would make compromising aspects or features of the sim available to everyone out there, this is problably true with the current sim too so making VBS2 available to the public doesnt mean they have to release every single feature of it wink_o.gif .

After giving this article a very good read it really feels like VBS1 was an adaptation of OPF's military potential for military use while VBS2 was actualy built for simulation purposes, like how they incorporated the tools in it wink_o.gif .

@Heatseeker

Things like thermal imaging and fire control are the very things that make me wonder about VBS2's availabilty. Depending on the level of detail, the more detail the worse actually, could spell the demise of any VBS2 "community" before it even gets off the ground. Especially if they are talking about the thermal imaging and fire control equipment aboard something like the M1A2 for one example. The upside is this could be seen as a precursor of things to come with the next gen title.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

I am with you on this but is thermal imaging secret?

just a guess but....

how about VBS2 being a complete seperate product and being based on the "real virtuality" engine? burt maybe V2.0 or 2.1??

of course it looks like OFP or ArmA or VBS1...cause the actual engine is the same. just another version (like I said my guess).

pretty much like the development of the unreal engine over the years. just like that improved I guess the BI engine will keep on improving.

ArmA will be a commercial gaming product and is tailored to be exactly that. VBS2 is a military combat sim and I'm sure the engine is put the way it is needed for that.

It's like saying:

Is AmericasArmy based on HalfLife or was it based on CounterStrike? Or maybe Unreal Tournament.

I bet this wont be in ArmA:

Quote[/b] ]VBS2 is the perfect mission rehearsal or AO familiarization tool. All VBS1 features (including After-Action Review, Observer and Instructor Interface functionality) have been improved and built into the VBS2 core product to create a powerful, off-the-shelf training and/or analytical tool.

@Heatseeker

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

I am with you on this but is thermal imaging secret?

Secret? No. How it's done in particular to specific units I would venture a guess as to yes. For example, the fin stablizer system on US Perry Class Frigates. Back when I was in the Navy (Mid 80's) the, at that time, Soviets new about it and even what it did. They just couldn't get it to work. The priniciple was well known but how the US Navy employeed it was deemed "Top Secret". It's current classification level is somewhat of a mystery to me but with the sale of Perry Class Frigates to Middle Eastern countries I doubt it carries the same "classification" level. But I'm digressing. Like I said what it is no how they do it yes. Or I would assume.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

Quote[/b] ]The VBS2 terrain editing tool, Visitor 3, will support direct import of terrain and shape data allowing customer organizations to easily recreate any area of operation (AO) in the simulation.

Could that be Armed Assaults island making tool also?