Sign in to follow this  
sim

UNSUNG IS HERE

My main objection(if you wish to call it that) on the units is the fact that they seem like they have a bit of a hunchback.

It seems out of proportion when they crouch or just stand in combat mode. I know it's damn hard to implement that flak vest, maybe you could look at how HYK did it with his units.

Despite my critical note, these are some damn fine units, good job on 'em. notworthy.gif

Now the SF units, what can we expect? Weaponry wise?

We have the M16A1(not a favourite amonst many operators at the time, although the underslung grenade launcher combo got more appreciation), M14 and M3a1. On the screenies it was pretty clear we also have a CAR15. And did I see a M45 aswell? So what are we missing(granted that you wish for a complete SF addition)? The M1A1 thompson was a well used jungle weapon, especially in the early part of the war. Now you got your M1 carbine(which is more an ARVN rifle though) and offcourse, very important in the bush, the shotgun(Remington 870). And most SF units modified their M60, by leaving the sights out, ditching the bi-pod or having a helo-buttstock. Is this in the planning?

Directly linked to the weaponry are some points I want to discuss next. What is very necessary is a pointman, especially in your dense jungle environment. You can make a South Vietnamese pointman and an American one. Armed with a shotgun for those damn close encounters in which you aint got time to aim. The machinegunner is offcourse important too, it would be damn nice if the gear made it pretty clear he is the gunner. Stereotype bandanna, lots of ammo(dont use those chains of bullets around the body if it doesnt fit or look right). My basic point is variety, which matches the roles the specific units fullfill.

I hope this helps you a bit, I'm always willing to help. I'm very interested in this time period and have read many books about SF/SEALs in the NAM(which by no means makes me an expert, but I know some stuff that might help)

A final note, please take all the above as constructive, I'm not demanding a damn thing, just stating what I would just love to see. I hope it is within your capacities to make such units. But from what I've seen in the demo, you have the capacity to make quality and are passionate about doing it right. notworthy.gif

What about shortened M60 smile_o.gif SEALs I heard had nice nick (don't remember it right now) about that they often took shortened M60s into action. Just imagine firepower in close combat of such team.

I just got an idea.

Script for SF pointman (CIDG, Mike Team, or other highly trained pointman). Even for infrantry in some cutted version.

Script would work if player is pointman (easier for start, but implementing it for every role is even better). If player is not moving, for 3-5 sek (depends on training) It would be activated. And if there is moving unit in area (depends on training) player would get vehicle chat comm about it. 12 oclock , I hear some movement... There would be a percentage of hearing it. Percentege would depend on training, distance to moving unit (closest to player for simplyfing), maybe a speed of moving unit.

So how it would work. You move few steps, stop for 3-5 sek. move farther, stop, etc. Like SOG / SF / SEALs in real missions.

Of course you would not hear your group moving (for simplyfing). But you could hear other firendly units, civs, enemy. You would never know if this is good idea to start to shot or throw a nade. But you would be more careful. Maybe get down.

Imagine it in MP coop missions... Oh, just awsome feeling of the jungle.

And maybe some random movements (monkeys smile_o.gif )

P.S. Add to it DAC or GROUP LINK II :P

P.S. Or not voice commande, but graphics Rsc, with a direction... Depending on performance of such script you could add possibility to hear more then closest unit. So you can here few movements in nort and some in west. Sh.t. We have problems, guys...

I just got an idea.

Script for SF pointman (CIDG, Mike Team, or other highly trained pointman). Even for infrantry in some cutted version.

Script would work if player is pointman (easier for start, but implementing it for every role is even better). If player is not moving, for 3-5 sek (depends on training) It would be activated. And if there is moving unit in area (depends on training) player would get vehicle chat comm about it. 12 oclock , I hear some movement... There would be a percentage of hearing it. Percentege would depend on training, distance to moving unit (closest to player for simplyfing), maybe a speed of moving unit.

So how it would work. You move few steps, stop for 3-5 sek. move farther, stop, etc. Like SOG / SF / SEALs in real missions.

Of course you would not hear your group moving (for simplyfing). But you could hear other firendly units, civs, enemy. You would never know if this is good idea to start to shot or throw a nade. But you would be more careful. Maybe get down.

Sounds great.

Overall, some combat chatter would do great in your mod. Like your team guys talking low with you, when they think an enemy is nearby they'd silently speak some sound file (like ecp combat chatter).

-----------------------------------------

Here is my first Unsung video:

-----------------------------------------

Unsung movie #1

4screens0uh3tn.jpg

- Music from: ROLLING STONES - PAINT IT BLACK

- Sounds from: OPERATION FLASHPOINT, MEDAL OF HONOR and a huge variety from THUNDERBIRD84 (thanks mate).

-----------------------------------------------------------

TO BE CONTINUED...  pistols.gif

Enjoy OFP wink_o.gif

PIERRE

two of us our working on the SF units, both of us have done alot ..I mean alot of reading and research on the units we are making. Each unit will be unique and carrying equipment for his roll, the implimentation of the SF RTs in the field has been discused and to make the team move, signal, and react to the environment using SOPs of that time will take some time and alot of scripting.  

The speed to which the units move thru the environment will be determined by the Team leader (player/AI). If you want to run through the jungle with no noise disipline singing about blue bunnies then thats your perogative. I think you will be hard pressed to move thru the jungle as the real units did ...but the missions will force you to or you will hear signal shots from sks/ak47s, patrols boxing you in and counter recon teams hunting your ass. that all may happen regardless of how careful you are if some mole in Siagon has given your insert coords and the names of your team and shoe size then you'll be hard pressed to make it out alive.

Okay I didn't want to scare you but we are looking at making the recon team experience as authentic as possible. Any help in this project is welcome as we are still a small mod.

RE HD mags

DONE, tested and will be released with mission pack.

pistols.gif ............. nener.gif   haha missed me

@ shinbusan ............ shorty

@ esti_the_big combat chatter is a must....but only relevent chatter not a sound loop. I'll check out the reference thanks for the commnt and reference thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]Okay I didn't want to scare you but we are looking at making the recon team experience as authentic as possible. Any help in this project is welcome as we are still a small mod.

xms6cj.th.jpg

Here's a reference picture of an XM177E1 and XM177E2 for your model for the Unsung. I was looking around the internet, but couldn't seem to find any good profile pics of the gun. (These are my replicas).

Something like them, but not quite. From what I saw in the promo pics, the reciever is still based off of an M4A1 and a few details are off. That's why I posted the XM pics. smile_o.gif

Both need to lose the brass deflector, the detachable carry handle, the pistol grip nub, the A2 model rear sights.

the "Car-15" (early model w/ triangular handguards) needs to lose the forward assist entirely and the bumpy parts around the magazine release. Those bumpy parts were to prevent one's gear from tripping the magazine release, and weren't added until later models.

The XM177E1 needs to lose the triangular handguard retaining ring, and needs a different shaped forward assist (long and flat instead of circular). The folding stock looks oddly short. I'm not quite sure if the flash suppressor is making it an E1 or an E2... looks off. The longer barrel would make it an E2, while a shorter one ending just in front of the front sight would make it an E1.

I know this would take work since you're basing these guns off of an M4, but these changes are necessary if you're to end up with authentic guns. smile_o.gif Good job so far though.

Damn you have a good eye sad_o.gif

I have some work cut for me, but it will be worth it

thanks for the input and reference pics

Cheers thumbs-up.gif

No problem, good luck!

I'd rather see them turn out well in the first release, than have them come out and have people complain. biggrin_o.gif

(Because people do)

I do like the detail on the SF units, and I'd like to play some real intense recon missions like the ones you've laid out!

Quote[/b] ]I do like the detail on the SF units, and I'd like to play some real intense recon missions like the ones you've laid out!

wink_o.gif You will...

Hi there!

Being late into discovering Unsung, so i tested the updated demo.

Dropped CSJ Hueys into the folders and added SEBNAM2

Off into the Campaign, Hmmph first showstopper: missing addon "CSJHueyD", ahhh yesss! They were updated, no sense in redownloading the old ones. So ripped apart the campaign file and replaced the Huey addon in the missions, missed one in some intro but it worked for now.

So into the first mission. Walk 50 yards then being shoot at, three man down, me was the fourth. RETRY Keep a bit left near that treetrunk, to hopefully have a LOS to that Machinegunner. Boom M79 gunner blew me apart. RETRY MG Charlie was killed no casaulties, wasn#t even able to find the body. Run!!! into the jungle, shooting starts, men call out enemies, spot the first glimpse of a VC, boom. Took a RPG headon. RETRY Somewhat better off, contacts one and two surrived, upon contact three spotted and killed a VC. Firing some more round into supposed direction of enemy brought me return fire from behind. Dead.

Not a very encouraging start i would pressume. But hey i keep on trying and manage to get into the mission where you have to take out that AA emplacement. Got there, got back to the LZ, got to the EZ, VC comes up, while trying to figure out what's going on RPG takes out UH34, mission lost.

So far that islands are thrilling and fucking dangerous, glad to have had HUD and TAGs enabled, otherwise would have lost my platoon and my live far more often. I shudder when thinking about how it must have been before the update, and more so if thinking of really being there.

Your jungles are depressing, one feels constantly frightened and scared of any contact with VC, great! Had the odd being killed from 100m away without seeing even a glimpse of VC, but that happend only twice. Compared to the dozzen of times being killed up close, that AI LOS fix seems to to it's job nicely.

The soilder models look nice, esp. the backpacks shine!

Not sure if this has been mentioned before:

-missing entry config.bin, cfg vehicles, VCf2 something encountered in some missions, once as: bad vehicle.

spelling error in mission.sqm?

-some script error: wrong expression, also encountered in some missions.

- no pics for magazines and M60 in Briefing screen, show up empty in case of magazines and not at all in case of M60. In game they are there but don't show up in the notebook.

Check if you could get rid off that running around in the jungles, it's ridiculous, lot's of noise and without HUD you will quickly lose contact with your squad, that also gets dispersed by the way.

Nobody would run into a jungle full of suspected enemy. Run only away from the enemy not into him.

As leader in that AA emplacement mission set my guys to danger (combat stance) and walked instead of running. Works good they walk with you or go prone when it seems fit and the guys keep in touch better. See if you could enforce that via mission design.

All in all thumbs up for your work and keep going!

S!

mission pack being tested extensively,

@ Tannethal the HD mags will give you a better chance will be included in the mission pack. try the missions on veteran you really have to keep track (stay close to your buddies). Once you get use to the close environment you'll start to move through it in a none standard ofp fashion  biggrin_o.gif. But you will still die even if you've read all of John Plasters books  wink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]mission pack being tested extensively

You can't imagine how glad I am to hear that!

Thanks for investing your time (past and present) into making this stuff, the community owes you all a big one.

veteran difficulty?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You kidding? Me would go lost during the first firefight.

S!

I always play on Veteran, and... all the time I have to ask leader "Where are you" smile_o.gif If he goes slowly, ok, I can stick to him, but sometimes he start to run... And that's it :P Where are you?! wink_o.gif

Good VC do not shoot at a source of such a scream (there was no internal squad radio in that time, isn't? wink_o.gif )

Interesting idea:

1) Make AI not in contact always in Combat Mode and UnitPos "UP"

2) Do not place player into any group.

Realistic, but is there any chance to survive it :P

The main mod campaign will implement GB handsignals to add maximum realism when out on patrol wink_o.gif

yeah I use the "F5" "5" "5"  all the time. THe draw back to OFP is that the FOV is 90 degs. you cann't change it so its pretty limiting when trying to keep track of your buddies. I remmeber when I played Quake, I would set my FOV to 130 degs this made it far more realistic and far easier to keep track ...sort of gave you peripheral vision. I hope they investgate this in AA.

....[looks up from desk with a wasted look]....what? ....[looks at date].....oh yeah....new year was here...right?....[takes an asperine or 3]....my head man.....Yeah ehm we partied a bit to much and some of the guys are still running around drunk in the jungle looking like a bad Ceaser look a like in a white toga and holding a life pig at the hips, pretending its a M60 thus making it squeel like one. Charlie is still surpirsed about what to do with us. They just ain't firing back at us. Still gotta recover the most of the guys from the jungle. Sorry...  icon_rolleyes.gif

j/k  rofl.gif  (about the life pig that is)

Yeah we are real busy on all corners of the mod. We been hard at work since the demo. We will have a update for ya soon. Working hard to make things happen. Don't yell out as mista Charles might hear ya. Just stay put  wink_o.gif

Love the new Car15 (the upper one), nice work. Never saw that nozzle tbh, i always thought the XM177E2 had this 6hole nozzle thing. smile_o.gif

hmmm I'll have to look into that, whatever flash suppressor was used will be on them. biggrin_o.gif

Also the white which is obscuring the flash supressor making it look strange is the flash texture just not loaded. THe supressor on the model is modelled on the car 15 suppressor