Sign in to follow this  
sim

UNSUNG IS HERE

I ment in the unsung mini-campaign..not on the pics.

btw. viewdistance was 1100 at that moment and only the huey on the island.

The campaign lagged? huh.gif

The viewdistance and fog were auto set though.

Very awesome work! The model, texture and map are very nice, totally different work from the current OFP stuff. The screenshoots during the game are very beautiful, just like playing OFP2. The textures of the model and map really impressive. Although there are so many plants, trees and grass in the map, no lag at all, just amazing! It should be a revolutionary addon pack!

Just hope the sights of weapon could be improved later. By way, seems difficult to kill enemy with M16 away from 200 meters. As for helmet of U.S. marine, seems a little smaller, but I dont know whether you made it per the real scale, if thats the case, it should be okay.

Quote[/b] ]Just hope the sights of weapon could be improved later. By way, seems difficult to kill enemy with M16 away from 200 meters. As for helmet of U.S. marine, seems a little smaller, but I dont know whether you made it per the real scale, if thats the case, it should be okay.

Cheers OFPCAT smile_o.gif

Erm yeah the Ironsights will be fixed soon.

The weapons have high dispertion mags so that's probably why you can't kill an enemy at 200 metres away.

As for the helmet, I don't really know who made it orginally confused_o.gif

thanks anyway

sim

RE GRASS HORiZONTAL PANEL

Okay folks the low down on the grass, the .85 and 1.0 LODS are very very beta when used on a large area it looks great if you have a squad walk thru it and look at them from afar you can only see them if they are walking once they crouch down it's very hard to see them and if they crawl they dissappear. I'm still hashing out how to make the edges work better by making edge models and such. I'm trying to develop a grass section that will still provide concealment but not create alot of lag.

Anyone tried the new version of the campaign yet to see if it works?

The campaign lagged?  huh.gif

The viewdistance and fog were auto set though.

You could had told me to turn off my AA..how could I forget with all that vegatation whistle.gif

With the use of Dxdll I get a 15-20 in the forrests, still not superb but better as 2-5 with AA on.

I get 15 - 20 with dxdll lol. tounge2.gif

I got all kinds of missing addon thingies before every mission in the campaign. other than this rpg2 confused_o.gif

Maybe u use more addons then unsung needs and their interfare. Check addons, res/addons, and @unsung/addons folders and move all not needed addons somewhere else.

Yeah please make sure you only have the unsung addons in your unsung mod folders. I have never had problems with having 3rd party addons in with the unsung ones but then again different computers = different errors lol

Missing texture in the middle of a forest somewhere. I got a pic so u might be able to track it down. Its to the west of the US AI route as you enter the forest after 'Incoming - sod this for a game of soldiers'

unsung_001.jpg

Its much more visible from other directions but I got a shot with enough detail so you could find it. I saw the white in the distance and carefully stalked it hoping for a clear shot. Imagine my disappointment, lol.

waaaaaaaayy to hard for me but if anyone is going to do a MP mission then count me in. Both sides not being able to see each other has got to be exciting.

The vegetation uses quite small textures but the shear quantity of it makes up for that. Loved what I have played so far and Vietnam does not interest me at all. Great stuff.

I installed the new campaign 1.5 and DID NOT install the icprpg thingy and stil got a few errors when the chopper was being shot down but not had a ctd yet. Ill install the icprpg.pbo and see if that changes anything.

Matt

Was the error something to do with cannot find resource RPG or something cos if it is don't worry about it, its nothing to do with ICP! It's CJE's fault it says that lol.

OK smile_o.gif Its CJE's fault.

So its not a 1 line reply: I liked the voice acting and would rather have it left in.

i mentioned the M60 sight is the M16.... i said all the west weapons, m60, m14, all of them have an m16 sight.

but anyway. althou i died twice in the demo campaign.. both by mystery killers. i am not upset or complaining about the not being able to see the enemy.

from those who know, will tell you thats how it was. you didnt shoot at faces, people, or even shadows... you shot simply at sounds.

Tell us some more Pappy, did the enemy headshot you from 200 meters when you were behind dense foliage, moving slowly, and not firing, back when you were in 'nam?  tounge2.gif

Seriously, its made a legit point, good mod, but the ofp engine isnt built for jungle warfare. I played the mission about 10 times, getting churned up by the same invisible enemies every time, no matter how stealithily i moved ect. Because the AI can see through foliage. As AKD said earlier, if the AI could hav ethe same restrictions put on them it'd be awesome.

Suggestion: Ultra HD Vietcong units, so that thier firing appears to spray wildly into the jungle.

Suggestion: Ultra HD Vietcong units, so that thier firing appears to spray wildly into the jungle.

heh.. then when they aim at say number 4 in your squad they'd hit you and you still be getting shot thru the foliage tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Seriously, its made a legit point, good mod, but the ofp engine isnt built for jungle warfare. I played the mission about 10 times, getting churned up by the same invisible enemies every time, no matter how stealithily i moved ect. Because the AI can see through foliage. As AKD said earlier, if the AI could hav ethe same restrictions put on them it'd be awesome.

We are working on that. Try a different tactic. Move from log to log. Lob some nades in the general direction of the enemy and every now and again pop up fire off some rounds into their direction. This is how it actually was in 'Nam, 80% of time you didn't see an enemy. Anyways I'm off for the night...

goodnight.gif

sim

well looks like some peps have to learn how to move with the squad.

AI is being delt with in a stern manner I've told the opposing AI  to smarten up and play fair, and to only fire warning shots at the player, until he can see you. but I've also patted the friendly AI on the backs for trying to keep the poor blind player alive whilst he stumbles ahead of his squad in a rambo like fashion around the jungle cursing the unsung modders for screwing with his kill ratio.

As mentioned in many forums and on this thread, and in the readme.txt file. An AI problem is known and a solution is being tested, again I suggest for those few who cann't handle the jungle to stay back with the HQ element and watch the fire works.

For those of you who have adjusted to the new and slightly unbalanced whistle.gif  challenge of trying to stay alive with the odds definitly stacked against you. Until I've completed a more balanced solution, well done and I'll drink many beers to celebrate your prowess and mental acuity in the field.

thumbs-up.gif  pistols.gif

One thing y'all might consider is that true, old-growth jungle (and I think that is what is intended here) is not that dense at ground level, less dense in fact than your typical North American lowland forest. The canopy blocks the sun, starving the underlayer for light and leaving most of the forest floor covered only in detritus. Thick, impenetrable vegetation is found in transistion zones where light can reach all levels, such as the edge of fields or the edge of a body of water.

Also, if your squadmates talked to eachother in the proper context, ala ECP, it would boost situational awareness significantly.

Can't remember if this was resolved earlier in the thread, but the issue with picking up magazines is that you can't pick up ammo for the M16 you are carrying from a fallen soldier with an M16. You can pick up a new weapon, but not M16 mags. Don't know if same is true for other weapons.

So cj, am i thick for not being able to cope with an AI that can headshot me every time i play from about 200m (according to my AI) no matter what i do or where i hide? smile_o.gif

I did actually move with my squad, i even put myself in the patrol anim and moved in my exact assigned place. Then usually a grenade lands and wipes out the front 3 people, everyone starts firing and killing each other, i run off and hide behind a log, enemy contact killed, moving on, enter a dense bit of jungle, more enemy contact, damn 6 is down, damn 7 is down, i'm ducking as low to the ground as i can but the AI has me marked anyway, because even though i havent fired a shot and have gone prone immediately, he knows exactly where i am. Before i know it, i'm on my own, my AI mates have all died, the enemy knows magically exactly where to fire thier AKs in this dense mass of foliage, and within 30 seconds i'm dead.

Sorry, i don't buy the "your too stupid and crap at OFP to work it out" theory. Don't blame the end user for OFP engine bugs.

Just as i never even started blaming you for it.

Its just i take exception to being told that its my fault at not being able to see the enemy magically through 200 meters of dense jungle, while they can see me. Sorry if that offends you.

(I also think its BS to pass it off as "thats how it really was", because, no it wasnt, "how it really was" involved one side actually being able to see the other, even if the other couldnt see it.)

I AM heartened to hear you are working on a solution though, so don't take too much notice of my rantings - if you are working as a solution, you must recognise it as a problem! smile_o.gif

As i said in my 1st post, i really like the mod content, its just unfortunate that the OFP engine isnt really built to handle jungles very well. Heres to hoping (ArmA) wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Seriously, its made a legit point, good mod, but the ofp engine isnt built for jungle warfare. I played the mission about 10 times, getting churned up by the same invisible enemies every time, no matter how stealithily i moved ect. Because the AI can see through foliage. As AKD said earlier, if the AI could hav ethe same restrictions put on them it'd be awesome
Pathy.

Actually, OFP is built for anything. The problem of the foilage lies in the geoLOD. If the foilage has no geolod or not working geolod, its a disadvantage to the player, for while the player cant see behind the foliage, to the computer AI, there is nothing in between the player and AI.

I am sure the mod team is aware of this and is doing something about it. However......a problem will arise when u put in geolod for the foilage - it increases the load and create havoc with yer ram considering the amount of foilage had been placed on the island.

A partial solution would be perhaps to focus only a small sector for squad base missions on the island for dense foilage? eg - 1km by 1 km and try to cut down as much unnecessary objects and foilage as possible? Utimately it boils down to the question of importance since day1 of ofp - game play or aesthetics?

@ akd

Your right in your comments but thats not the type of jungle I was aiming for, I was working on a triple canopy with very large root systems and more open on the ground level but the face count was just to high, I'll be revisiting this type of jungle, as it looks like a good challenge to get ingame, but for now the smaller more dense jungle systems is what is losely represented here.

I've done alot of research, and collected volumes of photos of vegetation for the areas in vietnam we are going to cover in the full mod. This forest section is a representation of a dense jungle environment within the constraints of the ofp engine. I was aiming at developing a dense jungle that would bring a fresh form of game play.

again I used photos and read discriptions of the environments these men had to contend with.  there will be alot of differing sections.

smile_o.gif

Also I thinned out the forests ground texture so locating the enemy isn't impossible. This will change in the full demo when I manage to get a good working solution on reducing the AI's visibility. So a requirement to use a compass is not as pressing.This will change in the full mode wink_o.gif

I'm testing various solutions. there are several ways to solve this problem, write a script with a radius around an VC/NVA squad to indicate to the player that he smells them, and give a direction, put a hd on the AI's weapons on both sides. I'm also investigating setting up a variable that limits view distance on AI looking into a forest section. Anyways we are working on it, I think this AI problem even though it was indicated that we where working on it in the readme file still seemed to irritate people that it wasn't working on the beta release.

I would still look forward to peoples solutions on this just incase we haven't tried it. So thanks  philcommando on trying to think of ways to solve this.

I look forward to more input on this subject.