Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

.50 cal sniping

Me again.

I'm sure this topic has been raised before, but I'm going to rehash anyway.

I would really like to see .50 calibre sniper rifles in the game. (Actually sniper is a misleading term. The most common role of the .50 rifle in the military is as an "anti-material" weapon, for use against soft and lightly-armored targets)

The Barrett M82A1 springs intantly to mind. It obviously has greater range and stopping power than the M21 or SVD. I think it would be fair though, since it is such a big hunk of metal, to slow a players movement down while carrying it.

As for a historical point of view, I'm not sure if the barrett was in use by the Navy Seals back in 1985 (from memory it wasn't), but I think it would still be a great addition to the game.  wow.gif

Mike - 'Oh no here comes a Hind, hit the dirt'

Bob - 'Hehe'

Mike - 'You crazy fucka get down now!'

Bob - 'Watching this mike'

*BOOM*

Mike - 'Shit Bob you just put a bullet right through the chopper kiling the pilot and ripping the engine out on the way'

Bob - 'Hehe'

But of coarse the US doesn't have enough firepower now do they tounge.gif

Well if they gonna add it might as well add the 0.5m muzzle flash when it fires biggrin.gif

NZ_Keeper nice story should make a comic version of it.

These strong .50 sniper rifles would be to strong for the game and im not sure if the russians got a .50 sniper rifle if no the balance between the sides would be much more in favour of the US (i still dont think they are nato)

Itd be cool (not really fair, but cool) to see .50's in the game.

"uh oh the general is getting away in that uaz!"

*shoots engine block of uaz*

"uh oh he's getting into that bmp!"

*shoots engine block of bmp*

goes onto keepers story smile.gif

i think it was around then because i heard of it being used in bosnia or one of those places at that time.

a well trained sniper can effectivly kill a tank at 2 miles with a big fiftie

also it would be nice to have somthing to use against tanks without having to lock on to the damn thing currently target aquisition sucks on manheld AA

Come on, u cant possible mean that a.50 easily is able to kill a tank from 3000 meters!!

If that was the case, why do they use LAWS?

kewl that svn 94 the gas operated part would realy make it silent

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a well trained sniper  can effectivly kill a tank at 2 miles with a big fiftie

<span id='postcolor'>

I cant possible beleive that cuz if you mavo just move half a mm you would miss by what (some math expert may give the right answer im just guesing) 500 meters

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Come on, u cant possible mean that a.50 easily is able to kill a tank from 3000 meters!!

If that was the case, why do they use LAWS?<span id='postcolor'>

Especially considering the max effective range for the M82A1 on material sized targets (vechiles, light armor, equipment) is 1800 meters (1.11 miles).  Its claimed MOA is 1 with MATCHED .50 caliber ammo which basically doesn't exist in any quantities in military stockpiles. Without matched ammo it becomes very inaccurate for a 'sniper' rifle or rifle period.

And against a tank, I don't even think it could penetrate frontal or side armor at point blank range.  Maybe if some DUP round was made for it, but unlikely.

If the .50 is too powerful, ammo could be limited, to say 2 mags (22 shots).

I also like the idea of the muzzle flash, and the recoil should cause the crosshairs to jump a lot more than the M21.

But I concede the point, that the M82A1 could cause game balance issues. I mean, the US already have a sniper weapon that kicks the SVDs ass (better crosshairs, bigger mag, zoom etc.). sad.gif

I 50 cal round couldent shoot through a WW2 era Panzer, much less anything remotley current.

A .50 can't seriously harm a tank, but a Barrett was used during Desert Storm by a Marine patrol on foot to stop two Iraqi BMPs -- one was hit with API rounds and caught fire, the other BMP surrendered.

Regarding the SVN 94, there is no way to silence any rifle that fires a supersonic or transsonic bullet.

the light fifty with API rounds can penetrate 1.5 inch of steel, so it has no problem of disabling APCs/Trucks, but there's no way it can do anything with a MBT, otherwise they don't need that 120mm gun on M1A!

the light fifty with API rounds can penetrate 1.5 inch of steel, so it has no problem of disabling APCs/Trucks, but there's no way it can do anything with a MBT, otherwise they don't need that 120mm gun on M1A1

BTW, i think it would nice to have a REAL sniper rifle in stead of that semi-auto M21, M40A1 will be a nice once

Someone has made a addon with a .50 cal sinper its a part of LT1SealTeam.pbo, I cant remember where I got it from though.

it is true an experienced sniper can put a bullet into a tank at 2 miles and kill it but for people you need to be at about 500m and no the M21 cannot kick the SVD's butt because the SVD is alot more accurate

it is true an experienced sniper can put a bullet into a tank at 2 miles and kill it

no rifle.. not a 50 cal, not a reciolless can do JACK SHIT to a mbt.. not from 2 miles not from 2 feet.

This is a website about this guy who is a sniper in a mechanized infantry company. He kills tanks.

BLACKBIRD

Did i forget to mention he just kills the poeple inside? as he says- Tank commanders make very good targets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christophercles @ Jan. 21 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a website about this guy who is a sniper in a mechanized infantry company. He kills tanks.

BLACKBIRD

Did i forget to mention he just kills the poeple inside? as he says- Tank commanders make very good targets.<span id='postcolor'>

Very much so when they are turned out. When turned in, not really much of a target.

Japanes in World war 2 had a 20mm anti tank rifle.It could even be fired in full auto.But it was to powerful so it was really not used in full auto just semi auto.Thats power! smile.gif

If you hit the tracks of a Tank at the right angle you might be lucky enough to break the tred and have the tank disabled until they repair it.. but killing a tank with a rifle, even a .50 would be impossible.

About Barret M82A1: Try this one at natosoldiersmile.gif

And no, no rifle could kill a tank... if you are lucky you could disable the tracks... A light armoured veicle is another story.. hehe

This is a website about this guy who is a sniper in a mechanized infantry company. He kills tanks.

BLACKBIRD

Did i forget to mention he just kills the poeple inside? as he says- Tank commanders make very good targets.

you could only do anything if they were turned out... if they were inside a modern MBT there is NO WAY to hit them.. even if you hit the commander's slits.. all your hitting is a periscope... same for gunner and driver..

afet so many crews were killed INSIDE their tanks in WW2 from bullets coming through view ports its not a standard that NONE of the personell have a direct view from outside in.. they all use mirrors or in many modern ones they have a camera and watch a screen.