Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

.50 cal sniping

Just keep in mind that to shoot from 1500 meters out in OFP, you'll need to set the mission's SETVIEWDISTANCE variable accordingly, which will affect performance.

Guest Scooby

Same what wobble said about killing people inside of tanks through viewports can be applied to many stories about someone shooting people inside of ie. BMP through viewport with .5 weapon because BMP does not have direct viewports. (atleast crew area does not have them)

For example viewports for crew are located on top of the vehicle.

Let's just keep it at the point that f we would add a .50 cal sniper rifle to the game it wouldn't be nice anymore as you cant even be save in a bmp or apc.

Guest Scooby

.50 wont pierce BMP's armour from front sector. Especially not BMP2's armour.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NZ_Keeper @ Jan. 19 2002,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mike - 'Oh no here comes a Hind, hit the dirt'

Bob - 'Hehe'

Mike - 'You crazy fucka get down now!'

Bob - 'Watching this mike'

*BOOM*

Mike - 'Shit Bob you just put a bullet right through the chopper kiling the pilot and ripping the engine out on the way'

Bob - 'Hehe'

But of coarse the US doesn't have enough firepower now do they  tounge.gif

Well if they gonna add it might as well add the 0.5m muzzle flash when it fires biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

They say that windows in Hind are made to withstand .50 cal hit and fuselage even 37mm.

don't argue about a barret until BI finally fixes the sniper rifles now,

They say that windows in Hind are made to withstand .50 cal hit

it will take 1 .50 hit and shatter.. but the bullet will not enter the cockpit.. after that.. good luck tounge.gif

I dont know about its armor being able to stop a 37mm round..the typical round could penetrate steele 40mm up to an angle of 45°.. so if the chopper boasted armor thick enough to stop that its hard to see how it ever got off the ground..

Most modern choppers have "passive" armor.. meaning only CRITICAL areas are armored and the rest is purposley made thin so bullets can pass through.. not doing much damage.. usuilly the area under and to the side of the pilot and around the 2 rotors and engine is armored.. the rest is just thick enough to be strong enough to support the necessary stresses... its just as effective at protecting the chopper as slapping armor all over the whole thing.. to say nothing of the performance and payload benefits.

Here is a little info on the M82A1 special applications rifle. I have made an addon with the association of Toadlife for OFP. Yes, it has some bugs in it, but I haven't had time to play with it and get it up and going yet. You can download this addon from my website on the Addons page. The link is below. Second, as soon as I get back into the swing of things, and they release something as far as putting your own models into a game, I plan on releasing a remodelled version of the M82A1. I have a roughly modeled pic of what I had done thus far on my homepage. Finally, for all of you argueing about the specifics of the M82A1, I have a link below that will send you to a page with a video file on it. The USMC produced a video some years ago explaining the characteristics and capabilities of the M82A1 special applications rifle. I suggest you download it, and it should answer some of your questions. Thanks.

BUNTRO

my homepage:

buntro.tripod.com

link to M82A1 video:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/video/