Sign in to follow this  
jimgun

Jumping?

Here's my thought:

No free jumping like hitting a spacebar while running and jumping.

However, I was at Best Buy last night browsing for a new graphics card, and the Xbox 360 was on display. The guy playing it was playing CoD2. In it, British soldiers were vaulting over the sandbag walls. I'd like if something like this was put in.

the best thing would be that it is on auto jump. like some sandbags in front of you just run over them little slower then usual. if its higher then 1m then u start climbing over it after say 2 sec delay just puch run forward. also if its a gap of 1m delay 2 sec than jump on run forward. i think its impossible to jump farther with say rpg, mashinegun, bulletprof jacket, things that u carry with u is i think no less than 20 kilos would be normal for a soldier. they are not gymnasts in tigh underwear. try to jump with strait legs and see how high u can jump, it would be of no use in real combat. so why destroy a nice game with it??

Hmm,this idea of jumping because of an action needed thing like sandbags and whatnot actually sounds like a good idea,especially if its not a simple 1 key jump anywhere ability,this could also help mods,say if they had a cliff you needed to jump over to progress or something,thats actually a pretty good idea.

I reakon we should have jumping I mean it wont have any use becasue you engage the enemy at about 200 meters.

Nah seriously jumping I reakon would only be useful if theyt fix collisian factors i.e. so you can jump on the back of a truck and dive around on it.

Also i would prefer an action where you can actully climb objects instead of jumping i.e. fences, walls and general obsticals.

rather then jumping id perfer to see some sort of climbing or somthing to get over obsicles. maybe when you get close to an object that you can jump or climb over you get an option in the action menu or maybe a hot key? then it plays an animation of you climbing over or jumping over what ever it is your next too? would stop people jumping around like idots in the middle of the battle field.

I totally agree.

Instead of a "jump" button that you can use anywhere there should be either a button or an option in the action menu where you can interact with an obstacle such as a fence and climb over it.

I reakon we should have jumping I mean it wont have any use becasue you engage the enemy at about 200 meters.

Exactly! Try hitting bunny hopping target at 200m. It is hard enough to hit the hopping bastards when they're at point blank range, try doing it at 200-300m. biggrin_o.gif

Climbing over obstacles - YES.

Jumping - NO.

I too am against jumping in a simulation game like OFP. I can tolerate it in a more arcade-y game like BF2 (and even then, just barely; bunny hoppers in that game bug the hell out of me), but OFP should definitely not have a jump option. I'm sure BIS thinks this as well, and will not implement that feature.

Having said that, however, it would be nice to have a way to get by small obstacles without having to walk around them. I'm all for climbing; that would be great for urban battles and stuff like that. Also, maybe a "hop forward" option could be good, where the character just hops a small distance forward? This could be useful for hopping over holes in the ground (like gutters and ditches), and jumping from rooftop to rooftop (if the distance is reeeeeealllly small). And after you hop, you can't go prone, crouch, or sprint for a couple seconds?

Swimming could be good too, but only for certain classes of soldier, like Black Op. I'm tired of being just stopped cold by water that goes barely above my character's head. This could also open up new mission opportunities, like raiding a ship or swimming across a river to flank an enemy position.

Even though i am against jumping and all its ****ed up forms of hopping styles in MP game envoirnment (ex. FEAR where you can jump/kick , other guy dead in one kick? and one bullet cant kill crazy_o.gif ).

However i find OFP to be sometimes very restrictive in terms of movement i'd like a bit of a compromise here and would want jumping included BUT only in certain conditions for example if we get near specific points towards an object/building/platform/rock/whatever only then should the jumping option be available and then taken away ASAP. These points could be allocated via some sort of trigger or through the modelling tool like O2's lod configuration.

I dont know if that will work but thats the only way i see it happening in a way so that peole wont abuse it in MP games flat envoirnment (jumping in room constantly) and it'l be fun for the folks who want to jump over obstacles and the like for realism.

I think people have the right to jump whenver they like, aleast in real life. So players have the right to jump wheneve they like in a realistic simulation game!

In many shooting game, people jump like bunny because it often make them run faster or is no slower. But I dont think a person do jumping while running is faster than a person running continuously, so if players dont have any useful point with jumping they will not jump like bunny. For example, fire in OFP is very easy by mouse1 but no1 fire crazily to everything they see. Its easy to solve the problem, so pls add jumping

Well, jumping, swimmin and all these stuff in RL depend on how heavy your stuff is, so a simple soldier with one M16 could jump and swim without any problems I guess. As for me, I'd love swimming too, and I think Elite has it(not for sure), but I'm not interested in jumping. Jumping with 50kg of stuff is quit a challenge, and SAS training includes marching a lot with 50kg of stuff.

Does our combat grunt go fighting carrying everything he owns? Nah, I don't think so. At least the current soldiers seem pretty lightly equipped, so I don't think jumping around would be too hard. Of course, no swimming with backpacks.

Maybe make different weight values for different items, so that if you're carrying a M60 and 600 rounds, swimming won't be too easy, but then our lovely blackop with nothing more than a MP5 and a couple of magazines will be able to jump and swim easily.

And if nothing else, I want to see the soldiers jump in the training, not just those lousy pressups tounge2.gif

im still against jumping but a diferent thing would be cool.

Climbing. Lets say you have a crate , you dont jump on in , instead you get close , you press a key and he climbs on it , that means you would climb on wehicles as well , on fences , etc etc , not jumping and even climbing is far more realistic then jumping.

im still against jumping but a diferent thing would be cool.

Climbing. Lets say you have a crate , you dont jump on in , instead you get close , you press a key and he climbs on it , that means you would climb on wehicles as well , on fences , etc etc , not jumping and even climbing is far more realistic then jumping.

Yeah, I agree, the climbing is enough, because i don't like those "jump and evade the shot" fps. I've tried the call of duty in multiplayer, and everybody played like this: Jump shot jump shot, jump shot... biggrin_o.gif that is so funny, when the soldiers are bouncing everywhere rofl.gif but it's far from reality...

Does our combat grunt go fighting carrying everything he owns? Nah, I don't think so. At least the current soldiers seem pretty lightly equipped, so I don't think jumping around would be too hard. Of course, no swimming with backpacks.

Maybe make different weight values for different items, so that if you're carrying a M60 and 600 rounds, swimming won't be too easy, but then our lovely blackop with nothing more than a MP5 and a couple of magazines will be able to jump and swim easily.

And if nothing else, I want to see the soldiers jump in the training, not just those lousy pressups tounge2.gif

Yes a grunt does carry his pack when out on patrol and they do also swim with them (wrap them up in our hoochies to waterproof them).

Quote[/b] ]I think people have the right to jump whenver they like

You have the right to jump AND to swim AND to climb in OFP. Just unPBO all of your missions and replace your character with the Itweas Ninja biggrin_o.gif Maybe this addon will work in ArmA too. You also have the right to be the Terminator if you wish xmas_o.gif

The movement in flashpoint was fine... I dont believe in jumping. Personally I think its retarded; in real life would you jump to dodge bullets or jump while firing your weapon??? na i would'nt think so...

Jumping is the problem with these first person shooters today. Swimming and climbing sounds fine to me though But then again, how can we swim with 50 extra pounds of equipment tounge2.gifbanghead.gif

Of course, sooner or later, jumping should be an included feature. It's not a reason because lots of fps (all of them ?) have a bad implementation of the ability to jump that it should be removed from the field of abilities of a human in ofp or its sequels... It's not a f...ing elephant simulator, gawdammit !

I don't see how grunts could play the acrobats with all the stuff they're carrying, climbing yes, but jumping.. no thanks! xmas_o.gif

Jumping eh? I'm...concerned.

However, as a way to overcome small obstacles or perhaps skip over small walls, I'd appreciate the ability to do "jumplets" :-)

Swimming and climbing sounds fine to me though But then again, how can we swim with 50 extra pounds of equipment tounge2.gifbanghead.gif

As currently modelled the soldiers aren't carrying that much. However webbing and vests can be restrictive for activities like swimming. If the vests have their plates in then forget it!

The greatest problem with swimming though is that combat clothing is designed to be warm (especially in northern temperate zones) and thus is heavier than your average outfit. When it's wet, it's heavier still.

Then we have the effects of cold. The water of the northern islands of OFP wouldn't be pleasant. Prolonged exposure wouldn't be possible without wet or dry suits.

Thus whilst I'd like to se swimming it would have to be realistic - I wouldn't expect the current soldier models swimming anything more than a narrow river and nothing so wide as the River in Nogova for example. Allowing editors/modellers to adjust the swimming ability would be good, so that divers and appropriately dressed spec ops could swim better & further.

It would also be nice to see the influence of currents and tides .

Which of course is something else I would like to see in ARMA - lots of streams and rivers!