Sign in to follow this  
Daddl

Extracting the DEM from a WRP

Is there a way to extract the DEM from a wrp file in a way that it can be converted to tiff (or any other standard raster data format)?

I'm trying to get the islands into a proper GIS and I really don't fancy digitizing them manually. It would be great to somehow have access to the elevation modell (enough to create the contour lines, a nice hillshade and to define the shores).

I don't know about Visitor or WrpTool, but in WrpEdit you can export the elevations as a text file.

The file will contain the triple values for each elevation point (x,y,z).

I think you might be able to load this into Microdem, but I can't swear to that as I haven't tried.

Note: Wrptool will only accept 12.8 X 12.8 km islands and then only in OPRW format.

Planck

I don't know about Visitor or WrpTool, but in WrpEdit you can export the elevations as a text file.

The file will contain the triple values for each elevation point (x,y,z).

I think you might be able to load this into Microdem, but I can't swear to that as I haven't tried.

Sounds perfect - I can easily create a tin or grid from such a file in ArcGIS. Now all that's left is the need for a (free!wink_o.gif EMF to DXF converter...

Er, Planck, it's WRPedit that will only take 12.8x OPRW, WRPtool will process up to 102.4x and both OPRW and FWVR.

What you can do is export subsections of your WRPtool map as 12.8x, then binarize them, then hex edit them to set the flags to the earlier OPRW version id.

12.8 is fine for the moment. I'll get to bigger and newer islands later. WrpEdit worked fine for exporting the text files.

Apologies.....It was a typo. crazy_o.gif

I meant WrpEdit not WrpTool, WrpTool will of course handle larger islands than 12.8 X 12.8 km.

Apologies once again to the WrpTool crew. icon_rolleyes.gif

Planck

It would be great if WrpTool could implement such an export feature, too. Works great:

3d (tin) w/ 25m contour lines:

eden-small.jpg

2d (12.5m grid) w/ 25m contour lines & slopes:

eden-slopes.jpg

overview (elevation & slope):

ofpislands.jpg