Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

Question about ballistics in OFP

What properties in a weapon/magazine's config affect the trajectory of that projectile? I'm really only interested in simulation = shotshell, but info on bullets and rockets would be nice as well.

I would think that there should be 3 properties involved: initial speed, projectile volume and projectile mass. Initspeed is defined in the magazine, but I don't really see anything like the last two. The closest thing I've found that might affect it are:

maxspeed

sideairfriction

simulationStep (?)

Might mass and volume be defined in the actual .p3d model itself? Or are these 'hard coded' to be the same for all ammunition of the same simulation?

I have a lot of questions, but I'm hoping the answers are well-known. I'm sure these have been researched by the CoC team, among others...

AFAIK initspeed is the only one which affects directly affects trajectory. Indirectly, the zoom settings will affect how much the you need to raise the aim spot to compensate for bullet drop. So if zoom settings are the same and constant then just the initspeed.

Missiles have more variables eg: initTime, thrustTime, thrust, maneuvrability and maxSpeed. Trajectory not so relevant for a "guided" missile, but for non-guided ones those figures will affect the flight. I think the model (especially the GEO lod) is a factor as well.

STT

I've did intensive testing with the shotShell simulation and it seems to me that the weight of the projectile also plays a role.

Moreover the <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">simulationStep setting seems also to alter the ballistic, smoke aswell as the dammage and recoil the shell will create. It seems the lesser the value the more flattend is the balistic curve. There's also less smoke exhausted..

Try to play around with those settings!