Sign in to follow this  
Totala

Detonator 81.85

Hi - Seems like the most recent Geforce drivers give a strange look in the background within OFP 1.96. Sounds to me like textures far away (~800 meters and more) are brighter and less colorfull. I am back to 71.84 drivers until I solve this issue. whistle.gif

Hmmph. Posted before elsewhere, but relevant yet again.

Geforce4's : Best 40x series.

Geforce FX (5K) : Best 50x series, maybe early 60's on the 5900xt and 5950's.

Geforce (6K) : Solid 70's, 71.84 is a good build, I'm on 78.03 with no problems, earlier than 71.84 have crapped OpenGL support. Brand new cards may require newer.

Geforce (7K) : Anything reliable after minimum driver revision (80's?)

Dropping the newest driver on older cards may be counter-productive to your gaming performance due to internal tunings.

I tried 81:84 oficial betas some time ago because someone said they were very good, they screw OPF's fog and view distance and cause major lag. The distance fog was replaced by some blueish weird stuff, it was a very disturbing experience, its depressing to watch OPF die unsuported and abandoned sad_o.gif .

Okey, thanks for your feedback ... seems like nvidia forgot the OFP community  mad_o.gif

Is BIS gona release a 1.97 patch to fix this one or shall we also complain to nvidia ?  huh.gif

Other solution : switching to ATI as soon as X1800XT is available yay.gif

This is Nvidia's problem, not BIS's. If you want a driver that works well in OFP, rollback as I noted above.

This is Nvidia's problem, not BIS's. If you want a driver that works well in OFP, rollback as I noted above.

What about all the out of memory? issues, you think those are driver related too? Because -nomap isnt a working solution and it happens on both nvidia and ATI cards, its hard to wait for Aras with a non functional OPFR sad_o.gif .

i got a FX5600 ultra and from all the drivers i've tried i find 43.03 the best if you want to keep away from flickering textures at extreme distances but they are very old and you cant use your performance to the max, personaly i use the Omega nvidia drivers, they are so much better i cant even compare it with any official NVidia release

Cant anything be done? the game is old now but its still very unique and many people like it plus what about VBS1? Is it also afected? Nvidia and Ati should still support the game atleast untill a sequel is made, talk to us Placebo sad_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]

What about all the out of memory? issues,you think those are driver related too? Because -nomap isnt a working solution and it happens on both nvidia and ATI cards, its hard to wait for Aras with a non functional OPFR sad_o.gif

That's a seperate issue, iirc more related to the main system innards than the GPU system operation. A minor little patch I suppose could completely rebuild the entire engine from ground up, replace all the models and textures and maps and other content, and do all sorts of other fun stuff not possible at the time given the several generations earlier hardware at the time, and the development limitations. There's also AGP bus issues you can toss into the mix, and the blame rests squarely on the backs of the video card bosses and mobo manufacturers who show blatent disregard for standards and basic electrical signalling loads.

Or you could do all that using next-gen tech and methods and call it ArmA.

Cant anything be done? the game is old now but its still very unique and many people like it plus what about VBS1? Is it also afected? Nvidia and Ati should still support the game atleast untill a sequel is made, talk to us Placebo <!--emo&sad_o.gif .

Placebo doesn't work for Nvidia or ATI iirc. How do you suggest that BIS patch an Nvidia driver problem?

If you troll around on the various news sites and hardware review discussions, and take an aggregate lumping of all the reviews, you'll notice strong trends towards convienently timed driver performance anomolies. Driver re-engineering by third parties has also seemed to confirm that both ATI and Nvidia regularly and deliberately make all sorts of internal 'cheat' optimizations designed to rig the performance of certain Dx or OpenGL calls with certain buffers and timings to achieve marketing advantages in benchmarking.

This results in increased instability for generic calls, and especially for lower priority prior generation Direct3D calls, as the drivers would be heavily biased to certain D3D 9.0c calls, at the cost of heavy bias against D3D 8.1 calls made directly or wrapped in the 9.0c wrappers.

Furthermore, in case you've forgotten, when the very first Dx9 5900's and 9800's began to ship, Valve announced the discovery of a critical defect in silicon on both platforms. Both manufacturers, in an effort to upstage each other, had taken a very early beta or pre-beta spec of Dx9 and committed it to silicon. Even the Great Satan of mal-coding Microsoft said that Nvidia and ATI were both brainless idiots for putting buggy beta code onto the chips. That screwup cost another several months delay to Halflife2 while Valve generously implemented a workaround in-game to compensate for the major defects that would otherwise be on those few bleeding edge cards.

The game might be old but its still available for sale, what i was sugesting was that someone might drop the publisher a hint that this problem is happening and maybe, just maybe someone at codies would get in touch with nvidia about this issue, maybe its a small driver

bug, maybe it could be easily corrected, maybe not, we dont really know.

Dont know why the big essay ShinRaiden, its all mumbo jumbo to me, forgive my ignorance but i dont see where your heading confused_o.gif .

Its normal that driver developers focus on recent, current gen. products and that older software isnt tested and is droped for dead, unlike you im not willing to let all the work that went into this game go down the crapper while sitting in my ass, patches, addons and mods, code, alot of work was put in the game to make it better and we still dont know who will publish Aras or when it will be released.

I have seen issues reported at the nzone forums adressed, if all i can do i let them know and hope then thats exactly what i'll do.

Let nvidia know about it!

Might make a diference, might not but worth a try, if more people showned support for the game it might increase its odds of not being abandoned.

I wouldn't worry about it, i'm having problems with my 6600GT AGP graphics card and i had thought it was an error during the 1.96 patching process that had caused the error. I'm downloading the WHQL 78.01 drivers justnow, even though the 66.93 is recommended for my card.

Actually, now that i think about it. *Downloads 66.93*

Also, as far as i know, 1.96 is it. Roll on OFP:E. I'm buying it, and i don't even have an XBOX. biggrin_o.gif

You're probably going to want newer than 66.93, I had intermittent issues on my 6600gt AGP until 71.89, I'm on 78.03 atm with no complaints in Direct3D or OpenGL, other than M$'s bastardization of 'Open'GL.

From what i had heard from Placebo's opinions on the NVIDIA ForceWare et. Detonator drivers, it was the 66.93 drivers that supplied the best experience. I stood on my Y2K3 CD lastnight, i was almost in tears. So much so, i made a small poem. confused_o.gif

I had a CD named Y2K3 --

It cracked! It cracked!

Windows said it was corrupt --

It's whacked! It's whacked!

Why oh why is my CD corrupt?

Is it simply that Windows is f*cked?

Will try the 78.03 WHQL.

Guest RKSL-Rock
...I'm on 78.03 atm with no complaints in Direct3D or OpenGL, other than M$'s bastardization of 'Open'GL.

Are you running DXDLL with that?  Because ive been trying different drivers and still cant get it to work with reflections etc on without reducing it to 2-4fps... sad_o.gif

Anyone know a fix? (other than the obvious ...dont use DXDLL)

...I'm on 78.03 atm with no complaints in Direct3D or OpenGL, other than M$'s bastardization of 'Open'GL.

Are you running DXDLL with that?  Because ive been trying different drivers and still cant get it to work with reflections etc on without reducing it to 2-4fps... sad_o.gif

Anyone know a fix?  (other than the obvious ...dont use DXDLL)

Hi..

Same problem for me here.. DXDLL and 78.01 drivers is a no go.. i got 2-4 fps as well sad_o.gif

please tell me what to do..

thanks..

Switching to ATI will not help, sooner or later no new drivers will support games like OFP.. but we will have OFP2 and AA  biggrin_o.gif   yay.gif Also fog bug and horizon fixes with DXDLL reflections, but FPS 2-5 mad_o.gif

it will be so like i describe it in an other thread:

il2 forgotten battles has a big problem with missing textures with any driver later than 71.89. you see b17 bombers flying like cabriolets and the gunners stand around in the air. maddoxx games

said thats an nvidia problem, not ours. also the il2 pilots starts to mail this to nvidia. the problem was totally ignored by nvidia and none of the later drivers fix this issue. at least maddoxx games released a fix for this problem because nvidia still ignore it. thats customer service - and not what nvidia does. they concentrate on optimazions for newer games and let people like us standing in the rain with our old games. so i think the only solution for the first time will be a rollback of the drives. i hope BIS is also customerfriendly like maddoxx (normally the are i think).

FYI, there's a post on the VBS forums that the new 81.87 is working fine in VBS, so it should be worth testing as well in OFP.

FYI, there's a post on the VBS forums that the new 81.87 is working fine in VBS, so it should be worth testing as well in OFP.

81:87beta works perfectly in OPFR yay.gif , i just reinstaled the game and these drivers, no more fog issues so far smile_o.gif .

I also noticed while reinstaling the game that it didnt afect pre resistance OPF, only resistance.

All is well now biggrin_o.gif .

81:87beta works perfectly in OPFR yay.gif , i just reinstaled the game and these drivers, no more fog issues so far smile_o.gif .

I also noticed while reinstaling the game that it didnt afect pre resistance OPF, only resistance.

All is well now biggrin_o.gif .

I also had the fog/sky issue with 81.85 and its fixed in 81.87 (6800gt)

I also had the fog/sky issue with 81.85 and its fixed in 81.87 (6800gt)

And how is the performance?

I also have a 6800GT.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif