Sign in to follow this  
zootso

Release....

LOL. self distribution isn´t "manage"-able, guys.

1 - 2 million DVDs or CDs - Boxes is a 15 - 30 km high tower smile_o.gif

And that is what we have the internet for. tounge2.gif

I can solve that problem straight away. DONT PUT THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER crazy_o.giftounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I can solve that problem straight away. DONT PUT THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER  crazy_o.gif  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Hmm make a thin line across the world built of ArmA boxes? We'll call it the Tropic of Bohemia tounge2.gif .

All these threads are getting so boring lol, everythings just getting repeated over and over and over and over again lol.

It really just shows though how little info we have of Armed Assault. If no info is given out soon where gonna have to organise a community attack on BIS with every addon made for OFP LOL.

The only thing i know is: there is no reason for not giving to the community some info (more pics, a trailer, and if ArmA is not going to be released in Xmas, a demo!wink_o.gif.  A demo will increase the number of people going to buy the game for sure...  wink_o.gif

There are plenty of reasons actually smile_o.gif .

Marketing strategies have a very big efect on sales numbers.

It wouldnt make much sense advertising a game like crazy without knowing when will it reach store shelves (the publisher thingy) wink_o.gif .

BIS do know that the more info they release the more we go crazy about it, a demo is out of the question too i guess, there are bigger things at stake for them other than not being able to please the fanbase, staying in business for example, afterall these "products" are the result of many years of work.

"Here is the demo of the game we are working on atm, we still dont know when we will be able to release it because we dont have a publisher yet, enjoy it untill you get bored with it and move along..." .

The fanbase wont buy 1 million+ copies of ARAS (fact), for the game to succeed it depends on alot more than its quality and content, it has to reach a very large audience.

Really, i want the game has much or even more than you guys do but we must remain rational about this whole deal, also the more time they get to work on it the better it will turn out. Im sure they dont want to disapoint us, just have a little faith, BIS will eventualy deliver notworthy.gif .

i dont need a huge paper box m8, just give me a CD/DVD nicely packed with nice little paper bags with a menu and maybe some little nice gift then i am happy(and i save the world a bit too) icon_rolleyes.gif

Self Distribution is always possible mainly via internet:

just think about most of MMO games

Valve with steam Steam

CD2Drive from GameSpy

and now also EA with BF2 : Special Forces , see here http://www.downloader.ea.com/English/bf2sf

simple you pay 30 USD and can pre-load game to play instantly at date of release ...

internet distribution pitfalls:-

1. Rampant piracy:- one download site = easy to set up the file onto another server and use it for download to the masses.

2. CD order:- one BIS order site can be spoofed by con artists to accept other's money and not sending anything.

3. Millions of orders = millions of postage stamps within 1 month = hundreds of computers to handle and process orders = more staff = more confusion = more headache = more computers to be sold after the peak period = more staff to be laid off = more money for consumers to pay for cds.

Age of internet does not = age of enlightenment or age of ease. It only allows more creative crooks to con kids lunch money.

Bricks and mortal is the only best proven way to do business still. We have waited for 5 years and sure can wait another 5 years more for a good product. Its BIS hardwork and lets not begrudge them the biz opportunity for themselves and their staff to get better publishers/marketing/ distributors. These grubby greedy fellas who do nothing but sit on their bottoms for a hot product will wanna suck BIS dry if they could.

eg: BIS wants just $20 for the product - publishers will pay $20 to BIS but charge us $50 to us - result = publishers makes the most money -$30 per set -for doing nothing just because they have the ability of distribution and the silly excuse of

shipping/transportation/warehousing/marketing/advertising,etc which actually if u work it out base of economy of scale of 1million sets = $2 per set and not $30.

and now also EA with BF2 : Special Forces , see here http://www.downloader.ea.com/English/bf2sf

simple you pay 30 USD and can pre-load game to play instantly at date of release ...

Yes I was wondering about that... I wonder if you changed the system time could you trick it to allow you to play?

Anyway I digress - Yes we all really want this game but I personally only want it as soon as possible... not 'now' at all costs, unfinished and in whatever state it's in! crazy_o.gif

Have faith, have patience and in time you shall be rewarded. Learning to wait - it comes with age wink_o.gif

Anyway I digress - Yes we all really want this game but I personally only want it as soon as possible... not 'now' at all costs, unfinished and in whatever state it's in! crazy_o.gif

Actually how unfinished do you think it is? It´s flashpoint engine which has been tested four years and it uses new features from ofp elite and those new features must have been tested pretty thoroughly before the release. Anyway the bottom line is that it can´t be very unfinished...i hope biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

1. Rampant piracy:- one download site = easy to set up the file onto another server and use it for download to the masses.

As opposed to just setting up the cd image on another server. In fact requiring online checks will quite effectively curb online illicit copies (Steam).

Quote[/b] ]

2. CD order:- one BIS order site can be spoofed by con artists to accept other's money and not sending anything.

That's what we have certificates and common sense for.

Quote[/b] ]

3. Millions of orders = millions of postage stamps within 1 month  = hundreds of computers to handle and process orders = more staff = more confusion = more headache = more computers to be sold after the peak period = more staff to be laid off = more money for consumers to pay for cds.

"CDs? Where we're going we don't need CDs."

Quote[/b] ]

Age of internet does not = age of enlightenment or age of ease. It only allows more creative crooks to con kids lunch money.

Only if the kids leave their lunch money on the table unattended or they happen to ride the short bus.

btw. some time ago Microsoft announced they works on new online content distribution for gaming ... and they have already in testing one for normal software (ie office suites etc) ...

well that's silly, because some countries have something like downloadlimits and more, like 10Gb/month which is reduced quiet fast, imagine you download HL2 you are already at half of that... confused_o.gif

well that's silly, because some countries have something like downloadlimits and more, like 10Gb/month which is reduced quiet fast, imagine you download HL2 you are already at half of that... confused_o.gif

Then you need to give your ISP the boot for doing such. Limited ISPs are still a minority.

Then you need to give your ISP the boot for doing such. Limited ISPs are still a minority.

From what I have heard from various Belgian people, in countries such as Belgium all ISP's are limited, I even think the goverment demands this to combat piracy... confused_o.gif

True, I'm Belgian, I searched for an ISP without a limitation, which doesn't exist :s. a normal connection, speed 3.3 Mb download 512kb upload with 15Gb transferlimit is about the standard, at an average prive of +-35€, you can buy extra packages of 5 Gb, but they cost 5€... so, expensif mad_o.gifbanghead.gif

Pour Belgiens.. sad_o.gif

Anyway, that what you said philcommando makes no sense at all and as EiZei pointed out, you're wrong, too. Don't take it personally, but it proves again, that people who criticize this system, have no real idea about it...

In Austria I pay around 30€ for 3,5GB of download. There is no alternative, flatrates cost 60-70€ per month. huh.gif

I aint no biz hotshot or an apprentice wannabe with Donald Trump and may be wrong, but just wanna share a thought with u folks.

We talk about a million copies being sold without even seeing the product..fact is:- how did we get this figure? outta hot air?

The fact of our vision is because:-

An example:- When a boss hires a manager for his empire, would he hire an ordinary joe off the street or someone who has a PROVEN track record of success?

Ans:- He will hire the hotshot. Everyone loves a proven winner. In the real biz world, things move fast. Time and profits is the only reality, the rest is crap. Apprenticeship is only for those who are already established or has the capital to burn money for their mistakes.

Extrapolate on the above example of the manager as BIS and the boss as the publisher. Publishers would be a fool not to look into the proven past track record of BIS developement and accept the risks of printing 1 million cds for ArmA.

Furthermore, the millions of ofp1 cd sold was not based on any slick promoting by Codemasters - evidence:- Anyone heard of ofp1 in 2001 compared to L33T counterstrike? CM probably bunched ofp1 together with other latest releases forcing it cheap onto retailers hoping for some profits without even realizing its full potential!

Now think of a marketing team who did wonders for StarWars and Halo.....heck! we wont even be talking about 1 million copies - in US alone its gonna be 20 million copies within 3 months if the marketing team had the funds and the right approach!!! ( beating pirates if they can achieve this target in that timeframe)

My optimism for Arma ( greatly improved ofp1) may be based on statistical evidence on BIS's track record of sales and support such as this community, and any bizman worth his salt will tell yer statistics do lie, but my personal and unqoute gut feeling is that the world's boys and youths is awaiting for an enhanced graphical game like this with its all almighty mission editor!...( and to an extent - this talented BIS supportive community here too)

All the best, BIS! notworthy.gif

Edit:- Anyway, kovovan and Eziel, my posts were not meant to criticise any member here for who am i? I just share my thoughts and its up to the rest to decide who is right or wrong. I dont and wont criticise any member - right or wrong, for only those who experienced it and time will prove the reality of our beliefs. Nothing personal, Cheers!

I think OFP1 sold about 1-1.5 million copies, not millions.. yay.gif

Extrapolate on the above example of the manager as BIS and the boss as the publisher. Publishers would be a fool not to look into the proven past track record of BIS developement and accept the risks of printing 1 million cds for ArmA.

Furthermore, the millions of ofp1 cd sold was not based on any slick promoting by Codemasters - evidence:- Anyone heard of ofp1 in 2001 compared to L33T counterstrike? CM probably bunched ofp1 together with other latest releases forcing it cheap onto retailers hoping for some profits without even realizing its full potential!

Lets also consider one specific feature of Operation Flashpoint that wasnt available in any other game at the time of its release. Drivable vehicals.

Was it the gigantic highly detailed landscapes? Was it the open gameplay and simulation aproach? Was it the mission editor and the games huge potential and freedom?

Did these contribute to its success? Imo and unfortunetly not really..

What made this game appealing to the average dumbass joe gamer was the exact same thing that made the BF series a even bigger success, usable vehicals. 5 years ago the presentation of a first person shooter military type game where you could control diferent types of helicopters, MBT's and APC's, cars, jeeps and trucks was obviously very inovative and appealing to the masses, today its been well covered in other arcade type shooter games such has the BF series, joint operations, etc.

We all know OPF sold 1 million+ copies but what about resistance? 100.000? 200.000? If Aras is not even a real sequel its chances of surpassing resistance sales arent that big actually.

I wouldnt be surprised if a large % of people who bought OPF at the time gave up on the game when they were faced with the very challenging and realistic (sometimes frustrating) gameplay and surrendered once they reached the sp campaign mission "After Montignac" out of frustration.

with ARAS being a "improved" flashpoint its odds of becoming a multi million best seller arent very big, for the fans it will the best thing in the world but for the general market? It will really depend on the improvements and content included in the game but i wouldnt expect it to beat OPF's success at the time.

I think OFP1 sold about 1-1.5 million copies, not millions.. yay.gif

1 millon 6 months after the release...

Well I thought ArMa would be a mid-budget game, so a selling price of 29€ or something.

Also remember 2001 when flashpoint came out, how many people had a that powerfull computer to run it? I had an expensive P2 400 mhz at that time...