Sign in to follow this  
zootso

Release....

More players play CTF than CTI - We did several polls in TNT to see if players wanted CTI maps, hell I even made a few, but there was no interest.

No, the most of players playing CTI wink_o.gif

There was an ofp serverstats webpage (but it isn't exist since last year sad_o.gif ), and on the most played missions table, the mfcti 1.16 maps were always on the first places, with the most of players. As i remember, the most played mission after cti missions, was the Saint Pierre TCZ.

CTF actually doesn't even come close nowdays.

This is data i recorded under a short period a few months ago.

CTI - 9604 games, 113095593 sec playertime

CTF - 7115 games, 49697000 sec playertime

Currently the most played mission after various CTIs is the Battlefield v1.81++ ch30 map, followed by corridor CTF.

Its bad to actullay gudge it that way seen though it takes many hours to play a cti game where as ctf is played over a 30 min period but i would say ctf has disappered a lot over the past year only because of cheats ive seen many ctf clans breaking up over this and quite a few that are struggling because there members are all leaving for other games its a shame to see but its the state ofp is in atm.

Well said Anth. CTI has only become really popular within the last 18 months - go and get stats for the first 2 and a half years that OFP was out and youll find that CTF wins hands down. Like Anth said, CTI is ok if youve got an hour or so to waste, but the average gamer wants a good variety of maps and quick games. Like it or not thats the truth. And the reason why CTI is more popular is because the mainstream CTF players have moved onto games that do not suffer from so much cheating (me included).

Quote[/b] ]do you remember V 1.0? Were you around? I dont think you were...

Well Sherlock, if you cared to read my previous posts in this topic youll see that I had OFP on day one of release, so that pretty much answers your question.

Its a fair comment not to expect BIS to be supporting OFP anymore, but even when they were they didnt sort out clipping and other bugs.

Also taking into consideration of the original requirements for OFP which were a Pentium II 400, 64mb of ram, and a 16mb 3D card, dont you think that with computers now running at 10 times faster that we should be starting to see something approaching good graphics in ArmA?

Also consider that games today are released on 4.7gb DVD discs (or over 8 gig if they are dual layered). Theres nothing stopping BIS releasing a game to compete with any of the A list shooters that are on the market today. Or do you seriously believe that just because OFP is meant to be realistic that it should look like it emerged from the last century?

Quote[/b] ]Theres nothing stopping BIS releasing a game to compete with any of the A list shooters that are on the market today.

Oh please, why should BIS suddenly start developing "A list shooters", there's tons of competition in that genre, while in first person military sims they have zero competition and a large fan base already.

No offense, but if you love CTF so much, why'd you play OFP in the first place with all it's obvious short-comings in this area? This I have never understood.

OFP and CTF!? Lol? crazy_o.gif

Since I started playing OFP I only play SP(I also know others that only have played OFP either SP or in LAN with close firends and not regular MP). Why BIS should change this awesome creation into another lame Quake/CS game, someone just has to explain that for me. Because a majority of players want that kind of games? There are already tons of fast action games on small maps, why not just play those instead? Thank heavens BIS is thinking in another direction and therefore making the gaming community diverse and not one-way oriented. Its called integrity. All respect to BIS.

Well why do I play CTF in ofp instead of counterstrike or other games. Where to start well it takes a lot of skill and brains to win in a clan match to outwit your opponent for one, these people who are putting ctf down thinking its some kind of rambo style game need there head reading its nothing of the sort it takes tactics and very goood team work to get the flags and keep your team organized enough to win the game it can get very intense at times and the maps are varied in size and do have vehicles knowing when to bring them out is key.

Now I can sit here and put down and compare cti, ctf, sp, c&h, co-op and rts all day im not going to because I like them all a true ofp player to the game who enjoys all parts of it.

I think marshal is just trying to say that computers have came a hell of a long way in 5 years graphics cards processors etc. So it is right that we should expect very nice graphics from ArA, But are they going to be? Are we going to be shocked in a good way or bad? How much better will ArA look compared to ofp? Time will only tell.

And the reason why CTI is more popular is because the mainstream CTF players have moved onto games that do not suffer from so much cheating (me included).

Cheating?? Did you ever play ofp in multiplayer? biggrin_o.gif

I've never seen cheaters in ofp multiplayer... How can a player cheat in ofp if the server always checking every files of ofp??

And how?? Heatseeker bullets, or invulnerable tanks, or how? LOL

And the reason why CTI is more popular is because the mainstream CTF players have moved onto games that do not suffer from so much cheating (me included).

Cheating?? Did you ever play ofp in multiplayer? biggrin_o.gif

I've never seen cheaters in ofp multiplayer... How can a player cheat in ofp if the server always checking every files of ofp??

And how?? Heatseeker bullets, or invulnerable tanks, or how? LOL

The cheats hide there cheats outside of the ofp folder making it useless the filechecker cant touch them. They have many ways of hiding them from the checker. But I know the supercheat gets hiden in a mod folder with a random number that really cant be picked up.

Im afraid its very hard to stop a cheat that knows what hes doing in ofp RN seem to have the best way of stopping them they ban there ips but not every ofp server can do this what else can you do, nothing really just guess who is doing it like I explained in the above post.

You need to play more if you dont know this.

When I stopped playing OFP MP a couple of months ago, almost all competetive game types were swarming with cheaters (the main reason I got frustrated of MP and quit, the other one being unpatient rambo "team" mates). The file check is easily by-passed by haxoring the ofp executable.

The only means to counter the cheaters seems to be IP range bans but since a certain team is giving the cheats to every god-damn idiot who wants them, this is not very effective.

...they didnt sort out clipping and other bugs.

Also taking into consideration of the original requirements for OFP which were a Pentium II 400, 64mb of ram, and a 16mb 3D card, dont you think that with computers now running at 10 times faster that we should be starting to see something approaching good graphics in ArmA?

Theres nothing stopping BIS releasing a game to compete with any of the A list shooters that are on the market today. Or do you seriously believe that just because OFP is meant to be realistic that it should look like it emerged from the last century?

Well they patched the game has much has they could and clipping and other issues are not something you can fix with a simple patch, at the time it was a limitation of the graphics engine.

BIS support was some of the best i have ever experienced with any product, fixes and new features, tools and optimisations, they didnt just move on and left us with a game with great potential, they improved it has much has the code could take it smile_o.gif .

And regarding graphics and system specs im not even concerned, the latest 4 Aras pics look great imo. I dont know what shooters you consider grade A really because they all seem small and mediocre to me (even Far Cry did), im positive BIS will make a good balance betwean graphics and scale, i wouldnt like to see the game dumbed down because of simple plasticy graphic details. Ask all other "grade A" game developers when are they gonna create games that deliver more than shiny graphics and corridor levels/invisible walls? I want my huge forests, mountains and towns, bridges, roads, deserts.. full scale combat and huge, dynamic interactive world, i dont want it to load a new section of it every 500 meters, i want freedom crazy_o.gif !

You are panicking for no real reason, consider that HW has indeed become more powerfull, BIS have grown and are no longer a unknown rookie developer and they know what improvements the comunity would like to see in a sequel wink_o.gif .

OPF is meant to be realistic and huge, in that department most other games are still stuck in the last century and the old OPF still remains unmatched notworthy.gif .

If you really prefer small and prettier "grade A" generic shooters (plenty available) and dont care about what makes OPF 5 steps above why do you bother posting here confused_o.gif .

Really doesn't make sense to me, to many people worry about graphics.

The main features I'm looking forward to in Armed Assault is: Better collision model, Join in progress, Improved MP code, a even more realistic atmosphere which I've allready seen from pics and Elite video's, and the new shaders which will add to the actuall gameplay a lot.

About MP cheating, well I've only seen it a few times in open servers, but I'm usualy always playing on the same server with the same people which is passworded. I'm sure in open servers there will always be cheating no matter what anti cheat protection there is, I haven't heard of a game that was impossible to cheat at in MP?

Same here,whatever graphics improvement I was hoping for has been shown infact in OFP:E,the ability for shaders and bump maps,simply lookin at the soldiers in that game is stunnin,anyway,I guess these people just play too much doom3,F.E.A.R and other modern games,forgetting that OFP is geared to the large spacious area's of many many units.

Quote[/b] ]play coop then, there is no point for cheating there

Majority of the cheaters seem to be intrested only on ruining games and pissing people off so I wouldn't be surprised to find someone cheating on co-ops too. At least if there were any popular public ones with lots of folks participating.

The ones that do use cheats only to gain advantage, obviosly try to hide the fact that they're cheating and generally don't ruin games, but I can imagine some of this scum playing co-ops too and cheat to get better scores.

This combined to the facts that it's hard to find nice people to play co-ops with and that the people I know don't find OFP so great, results in OFP MP being pretty much dead to me. I still play SP missions and mess around with the editor. I was making some MP missions too not long time ago but after a couple of weeks I realised how utterly pointless it was and stopped.

I guess there probably ain't any cheaters on the X-Box version but I'm never ever going to get a game console, for reasons that I'm not gonna go into here.

Lol they havent updated Elite release date in bis web...

"Expected release date of Operation Flashpoint: Elite on Xbox is November 2005."

http://www.bistudio.com/games/ofx.html

What about fix that and ARMA release date too.

ARMA release date will be "Estimated release date is Q1 2006"

And then fix game 2 release date to Q1 2007

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

i dont get it ... FlashPoint:Elite is already in shops ... maybe they use "November" to cover worldwide releases ...

If I was in charge of BIS, I would fire the guy in charge of marketing; it's in BIS's interest to promote their game.

They should not be secretive.

Considering as you say that BIS havent got a publisher, can you explain why they would use that excuse to post wrong information on their own website?

It doesnt really matter whether they have a publisher or not - the details coming out of the BIS camp should be accurate.

If you havent experienced any cheating during MP games then I would suggest that you have hardly played the game at all. What I meant by A grade shooters was that it should at least compare in the technology department.

Anyone remember Hidden and Dangerous 2? Thats what Im talking about - a very nice game similar to OFP (in fact OFP probably borrowed a lot of ideas from the original H&D by the looks of things).

I like OFP, I played it for 4 years, so why should I have to go and play CTF on another game because BIS dont know how to program games the way other games firms can?

I bet that all the people here talking about OFP Elite havent even seen the game in action. Everyone says it looks great from the screenshots, but the game I played on the XBox looked nothing like the screenshots. Ever heard of box art being tarted up in a paint package? I believe that is what your all talking about as the XBox version I played looked nothing like the pictures on the box (and thats the reason why it was returned to the shop).

Please go try the XBox version and then come back and give an honest verdict of what you think of the graphic quality, over use of fog and framerate.

Ever heard of box art being tarted up in a paint package?

Ever heard about false accusations? confused_o.gif

Off course the screenshots on the box are the best of the best we were able to select and capture, which I think is understandable, but they are really the real and authentic Xbox ingame screenshots from the OFP:Elite.

I saw the xbox version at a friend of mine, and it definately looks good, and also like on the box.

@Marshal, you are the only person negative on everything. There are people saying some things aren't that good, true, but you are saying everything is bad, then why did you bought it? what were your expectations? You are even negative on armed assault which you haven't even seen yet... Do you have something personal against BIS? banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Marshal @ Nov. 10 2005,16:35)

Ever heard of box art being tarted up in a paint package?

Ever heard about false accusations?

Off course the screenshots on the box are the best of the best we were able to select and capture, which I think is understandable, but they are really the real and authentic Xbox ingame screenshots from the OFP:Elite.

Marshal, have you ever looked at a 640 * 480 picture full screen at 1600 by 1200 resolution? Notice the picture is blocky and cruddy looking? What happens when you shrink that picture down to its proper size? It looks good again - shrink it even more and it looks great. That happens on the box too. Shrink a picture the size of your tv down to the little square on the box and that little picture is ALWAYS going to look great by comparison.

I saw the xbox version at a friend of mine, and it definately looks good, and also like on the box.

@Marshal, you are the only person negative on everything. There are people saying some things aren't that good, true, but you are saying everything is bad, then why did you bought it? what were your expectations? You are even negative on armed assault which you haven't even seen yet... Do you have something personal against BIS? banghead.gif

well because BIS didnt help him on the cheating problems i think, which IMO is just B/S(if not totally)

so why should I have to go and play CTF on another game because BIS dont know how to program games the way other games firms can?

Well you said it yourself right now didnt you!? wink_o.gif

....and what games are these A grade shooters, I sure havent seen them, just lame quake/CS clone games coming in a row, pressing nice graphics inside small maps because their engines cant work on something bigger.

Quote[/b] ]play coop then, there is no point for cheating there

Majority of the cheaters seem to be intrested only on ruining games and pissing people off so I wouldn't be surprised to find someone cheating on co-ops too. At least if there were any popular public ones with lots of folks participating.

The ones that do use cheats only to gain advantage, obviosly try to hide the fact that they're cheating and generally don't ruin games, but I can imagine some of this scum playing co-ops too and cheat to get better scores.

This combined to the facts that it's hard to find nice people to play co-ops with and that the people I know don't find OFP so great, results in OFP MP being pretty much dead to me. I still play SP missions and mess around with the editor. I was making some MP missions too not long time ago but after a couple of weeks I realised how utterly pointless it was and stopped.

I guess there probably ain't any cheaters on the X-Box version but I'm never ever going to get a game console, for reasons that I'm not gonna go into here.

well i have seen cheaters on public servers a few time, but after all they just did notthing more then making us having a good laught b4 being kicked, since it is just too easy to see who's cheating, and besides getting better scores is quite usless for us coop freaks, finishing the objectives one by one, with teamwork, finish the mission alive, and enjoy the playing is the most important for us(just remember the first time i make it out in one hardass mission with 4 others(starts with 26), damn that just feel great! ) yay.gif