Sign in to follow this  
zootso

Release....

Ok heres a fine example to compare OFP too - World of Warcraft and Everquest - both games use huge maps (bigger than any OFP island Ive seen) and far more players are playing it than OFP could even dream of attracting. They both run without any lag with great graphics and detail.

What do you mean the publisher isnt important? Ever tried to produce a book without a publisher? Very hard indeed.

OFPE does not deliver at all - I returned my copy to the shop because it just looked shoddy and the speech was a complete joke... Have you tried it? obviously not. The time when player speech was made up of many different recorded words that are cut together to make a sentence went out in the mid 90's.

It all looks to me that BIS are still stuck with the technology that they were using in 2001. As I said in my earlier post, why did they even bother to introduce moving grass into the XBox version? It provides nothing to the overall game, other than using up processor power.

If you have the chance, please go and have a play on OFP Elite and then you will see what BIS has done for the past 3 years.

Its a joke! banghead.gif

GabGab wrote:

Quote[/b] ]Maybe you chose the wrong game and you are better off with Counterstrike and the Battlefield Series.

And I am still very pleased with OFP graphics. Gameplay is all that counts for me - I really love to play coop missions and the only game that delivers is OFP.

Maybe you dont realise that I ran the TNT League (The worlds biggest OFP league) since 2003? If your happy with the graphics then maybe you just play pacman as your other game of choice?

Ok heres a fine example to compare OFP too - World of Warcraft and Everquest - both games use huge maps (bigger than any OFP island Ive seen) and far more players are playing it than OFP could even dream of attracting. They both run without any lag with great graphics and detail.

rofl.gif And the wow is a simulator right? And wow is a 4,5 years old game? eh... biggrin_o.gifrofl.gif

console game are console game, and never think about a console same as PC, for me Elite work gread as a console game, maybe you are right, it is not like the pc verson and somehow........well i dont know, but just dont forget that it is a console game

and somehow i just dont understand whats the hold bitching is about

Marshal dont get me wrong, but you should think about your attitude sometimes.

You and TNT were just a small part of the MP community, and cqb is not the only thing ofp is capable of.

Instead of bashing you should try to make some constructive critism or leave.

OnTopic:

BIS should rather take their time, than to release again a buggy game as ofp 1.0 was !

ArmA should not make this huge mistake again !

Quote[/b] ]And the wow is a simulator right? And wow is a 4,5 years old game? eh...

OFP Elite was released just a week ago - according to BIS it has elements of OFP2/ArmA in it. Well if thats the future for OFP then please stop the tank as Ill get off right now.

I really could never get some peoples belief that OFP was an accurate simulator - I dont think it is. What about the building clipping, invisible walls when you blew up buildings, buildings hovering above the ground when you place them on maps and stuff like that? Is that an accurate simulation of real life?

Quote[/b] ]And the wow is a simulator right? And wow is a 4,5 years old game? eh...

OFP Elite was released just a week ago - according to BIS it has elements of OFP2/ArmA in it. Well if thats the future for OFP then please stop the tank as Ill get off right now.

I really could never get some peoples belief that OFP was an accurate simulator - I dont think it is. What about the building clipping, invisible walls when you blew up buildings, buildings hovering above the ground when you place them on maps and stuff like that? Is that an accurate simulation of real life?

No Elite is not the future of OFP based Game for mother sakes, it is the console verson of OFP for crying out loud, it have some elements from ArmA/game2 but the baseline is that IT IS for the Xbox and it MEANS to be work on a console, i dont know how much you HATED BIS but if you dont trust BIS i think that you may get off the boat now

and WTF was that? if you so like to bitch with these small isuss then like someone said, you might pick the wrong game(for 2 or so years)

Perhaps Doom 3 was a bad example, but it does bring me onto another question and that is why OFP has to load complete islands and have it all running at the same time? Seriously how many players here have played a map that uses the entire length of Everon?

Its a bit like saying that Halflife 2 looks rubbish because you can explore the whole game as soon as you enter it and so all the locations are there sitting using your processor even though your 99% unlikely to use them.

I have made several maps in my time and I would rather select a small area to run the map - that is why such things as fog have to be added, to stop the game lagging because too much terrain is available which you dont even need for your mission.

This here makes me laugh, every time I play OFP online (usualy CTI) we use the whole island every game as obviously you have to capture towns for money and also find the enemy base or bases. To have such small islands would take away so much of the freedom you have in OFP. You obviously haven't played CTI then, but I thought you ran the TNT league for 2 years and come out with a statement like that rofl.gif

You are trolling but well...

WoW is a very simple client.

No collision detection at all except for static objects for example.

Extemely short viewdistance. Less than 150m on max settings. Yes, you can see further sometimes. But you won't know what's there except for the static map elements.

It makes huge guesses on item positions for non static objects.

If you made a FPS with the WoW client you'd have players screaming all over the place.

what are you expecting mate ofpe is just ofpres shoe horned on to that evil black box of course its going to look horrible compared to modern games, the sound is mince i will agree there who ever thought it was a smart idea should be shot but the rest is ok for a xbox game sure it lacks graphic detail ect but find a xbox game that does the same.

realisitic rofl.gif can you show a more realisitc large scale game i cant crazy_o.gif . the only other game i can think that might come close is "enemy in sight" which is being made by illusion softworks(h&d2 mafia ect). all other games that have atemped a similar idea have iether been buggier ie soldner or gone tom and jerry school of violence "battlefield series".

and before you say im some fan boy hell ill jump ship as soon as a better series comes along but so far im not seeing one. roll on Armed Assault and 2nd gen game yay.gif

what are you expecting mate ofpe is just ofpres shoe horned on to that evil black box of course its going to look horrible compared to modern games, the sound is mince i will agree there who ever thought it was a smart idea should be shot but the rest is ok for a xbox game sure it lacks graphic detail ect but find a xbox game that does the same.

realisitic rofl.gif can you show a more realisitc large scale game i cant  crazy_o.gif . the only other game i can think that might come close is "enemy in sight" which is being made by illusion softworks(h&d2 mafia ect). all other games that have atemped a similar idea have iether been buggier ie soldner or gone tom and  jerry school of  violence "battlefield series".

and before you say im some fan boy hell ill jump ship as soon as a better series comes along but so far im not seeing one. roll on Armed Assault and 2nd gen game yay.gif

no, just let him "walk off" the boat icon_rolleyes.gif(j/k)

anyway @Placebo and other mods around,

it is not our will to start such crap here, but clearly someone need to have a little white wash yay.gif

buildings hovering above the ground when you place them on maps and stuff like that?

I think you´re using 3rd party addons like editor addon, there is no addon made by BIS which allows you put buildings via missions editor. Buildings placed via Visitor don´t float, believe me.

Maybe you dont realise that I ran the TNT League (The worlds biggest OFP league) since 2003? If your happy with the graphics then maybe you just play pacman as your other game of choice?

Sure, I love pacman. How can you not like pacman? Good example for gameplay over graphics, btw.

@ Nov. 08 2005,19:17)]
buildings hovering above the ground when you place them on maps and stuff like that?

I think you´re using 3rd party addons like editor addon, there is no addon made by BIS which allows you put buildings via missions editor. Buildings placed via Visitor don´t float, believe me.

and just dont forgot there is setpos command

Quote[/b] ]Marshal dont get me wrong, but you should think about your attitude sometimes.

You and TNT were just a small part of the MP community, and cqb is not the only thing ofp is capable of.

Instead of bashing you should try to make some constructive critism or leave.

The TNT league had the most teams of any OFP league, so what do you mean that it was just a small part in the MP community?

I have been making constructive criticism. Granted, OFP is never going to look as good on the XBox as it would on the PC, but compared to other games on the XBox it looks very dated.

Why do I appear to be bitter? Maybe its because Im sick of BIS doing nothing to help the OFP community? Maybe its because I was at the sharp end of dealing with cheaters in my league, and it was me who got the brunt of angry players slagging me off when all I was trying to do was to clean up the OFP community because BIS seemed oblivious to the extent of cheaters in the game. Put yourself in my situation for just a few minutes - you have to deal with a cheat in your league and when you do everybody says that your an asshole - so would they have rather me just let them cheat or what?

Maybe its because this game isnt even worth playing anymore (and for anyones information Ive been playing the game since day 1) because the cheat community has taken it over. They are laughing in the face of legitimate players like myself because they can just come onto any server and spawn tanks, have God mode or drop battleships onto the map. BIS need to make sure that IP addresses can be banned on servers because its obvious that the old method of player ID banning does not work.

More players play CTF than CTI - We did several polls in TNT to see if players wanted CTI maps, hell I even made a few, but there was no interest.

Believe me, I want ArmA to be as good as any of you do, but from seeing BIS's latest efforts Im not holding my breath.

I cannot understand why so many of you have so much faith in ArmA to solve everything, especially when such things as invisible walls and building clipping havent even been addressed in OFP1 in the 4 years that its been out.

Im glad you stepped into the conversation Killiki because if it werent for guys like you this game would have died long ago. I think this game has lasted because of the enthusiasm of the community that plays it rather than its makers. The modding community have made a lot of addons to make this game better - strip that all away and you've pretty much got a very buggy game.

You see, people are here saying that you need the big islands to play CTI and yet when OFP was released CTI didnt even exist in OFP world. So the belief that the reason why OFP islands were made fully funtional at all times was because of CTI games is incorrect.

Although I disagree on allmost everything you have said in this thread, Marshal.. I must admit, that the support giving to ofp:res after all these cheats have been very disapointing.

I have allways thought that BIS was very good to the community. They even had weekly movies/diaryes during ofp development. But they really screwed up their own reputation. And this is why the mp community is falling apart.

I just hope that they will support ArmA some more, in such important matters as anti-cheating.

the video footage I have seen from Elite, impressed me alot. Its very cool to see such a large game ported to such a small machine smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The TNT league had the most teams of any OFP league, so what do you mean that it was just a small part in the MP community?

Sure, there were tons of teams, but moest players aren't interested in competition, but in fun. There were tons of fun-clans, and people that played only SP etc...

Quote[/b] ]I have been making constructive criticism. Granted, OFP is never going to look as good on the XBox as it would on the PC, but compared to other games on the XBox it looks very dated.

Perhaps they look dated, but no other game on the xbox has a that large visibility and islands, it's the formula that is important, not the graphics.

Quote[/b] ]More players play CTF than CTI - We did several polls in TNT to see if players wanted CTI maps, hell I even made a few, but there was no interest.

Obviously, because the players that voted for all were used to CTF...

Quote[/b] ]Believe me, I want ArmA to be as good as any of you do, but from seeing BIS's latest efforts Im not holding my breath.

What can you see about AI, collision detection, etc? nothing...

Quote[/b] ]I cannot understand why so many of you have so much faith in ArmA to solve everything, especially when such things as invisible walls and building clipping havent even been addressed in OFP1 in the 4 years that its been out.

Those things you named cannot corrected by a patch, it's also due to enginelimitations. Besides, we don't expect to fix everything. Armed assault is there, with improvements to let people play the game while waiting for game2.

Quote[/b] ]You see, people are here saying that you need the big islands to play CTI and yet when OFP was released CTI didnt even exist in OFP world. So the belief that the reason why OFP islands were made fully funtional at all times was because of CTI games is incorrect.

And finally, yes, people refer to CTI, because it's very usefull for it. But here are things that are not-CTI related:Big islands gives you a feeling of freedom, and you can do helicopter drop offs, fly to a target, if you had small islands, you can't take off, just to kill a target at 1 km... that would be silly, you should at least fly some distance, otherwise you could just use artillery or send some infantry wink_o.gif. walking is a nice aspect, and the fact you can retreat, move on from different places is realistic, if suddenly there is a load time it would just ruin the gameplay...

OFP had always been more a COOP/single player/huge scale side match game then pvp run-and-shooter, CTF may get more ppl playing with but thats means notthing on the depth of this game

cant see point of the "BIS didnt help community much" thing, as most of the time somehow we didnt need BIS help

besides i always wondered how ppl think it is "easy" to make a good game, as the fact that making a mod is already hard enought confused_o.gif

edit: i am quite late for the offical forums so i dont really know how BIS screwed up their own reputation, all i know is that there seems to be too little BIS could do on the anit-cheat thing, adding anit-cheat stuff may screw the game as much as if there is tons of cheater(hard to see one in a coop game) and modding in OFP somehow has a link with hacking.......i know it is strange but it is like that

More players play CTF than CTI - We did several polls in TNT to see if players wanted CTI maps, hell I even made a few, but there was no interest.

No, the most of players playing CTI wink_o.gif

There was an ofp serverstats webpage (but it isn't exist since last year sad_o.gif ), and on the most played missions table, the mfcti 1.16 maps were always on the first places, with the most of players. As i remember, the most played mission after cti missions, was the Saint Pierre TCZ.

I think the problem is as follows:

What got me into OFP, was first of all the demo, back in spring 2001. Then I checked this website (which looked somewhat different from now), and were able to go a section, explaining all the vehicles, units, and weapons in the game, check it out, theres even video footage from 2000.

Here is an example from BIS doing an estimated system rquirements, YEARS before release:

Estimated minimum system requirements

CPU 400 MHz, 8 MB 3D card, 64 MB RAM, 300 MB HDD, CD-ROM, keyboard, mouse, sound card, DirectX 8

There is a HUGE difference on the support given by BIS towards OFP, and Armed Assault.

I bet the publisher will be Codies once more, but BIS... you GOT to get yourself together if you want some sales! Bring out some news... Especially with codies as publisher!

Guest major gandhi

what you experience in nearly every disucssion about BIS and ArmA nowadays is the frustration of players who really loved ofp, played this game for four years and are now slowly getting tired of it. Even though were are getting new addons every week the gameplay basically remains the same. Now everbody is waiting for Armed Assualt and hopes that it may bring some fresh drive into OFP. Some may only continue playing ofp in order to shorten the waiting time until Armed Assault. But when the waiting time seems to stretch more and more and the Developpers seem to ingore the community it's just natural that players get bored and stop playing ofp (and stop modding, like the monthly messages about mods being stopped show) or get angry and insult the developpers.

what you experience in nearly every disucssion about BIS and ArmA nowadays is the frustration of players who really loved ofp, played this game for four years and are now slowly getting tired of it. Even though were are getting new addons every week the gameplay basically remains the same. Now everbody is waiting for Armed Assualt and hopes that it may bring some fresh drive into OFP. Some may only continue playing ofp in order to shorten the waiting time until Armed Assault. But when the waiting time seems to stretch more and more and the Developpers seem to ingore the community it's just natural that players get bored and stop playing ofp (and stop modding, like the monthly messages about mods being stopped show) or get angry and insult the developpers.

That's exactly the point, as some others (including me) mentioned before, but hey, does anyone really expect a reaction? confused_o.gif

That's exactly the point, as some others (including me) mentioned before, but hey, does anyone really expect a reaction? confused_o.gif

Thats true its all down to frustration. We all just have to wait and see and hope that it lives up to the game we all still love.

wow ,the community is gettin all frustarted now. smile_o.gif

all this panic why not just crank ofpr to high res. after all arma or 1.5 is only a new engine to play ofp on.so leaning and shadows on vehicles and jip and moving trees and grass. you think all this will matter in a tank battle or crouching at corner of a building looking for a sniper ? . ok maybe leaning will. lets wait a lil longer and play more ofp smile_o.gif

or we could play some of this below smile_o.gif.hmmm nice

Maybe its because this game isnt even worth playing anymore (and for anyones information Ive been playing the game since day 1) because the cheat community has taken it over. They are laughing in the face of legitimate players like myself because they can just come onto any server and spawn tanks, have God mode or drop battleships onto the map. BIS need to make sure that IP addresses can be banned on servers because its obvious that the old method of player ID banning does not work.

Believe me, I want ArmA to be as good as any of you do, but from seeing BIS's latest efforts Im not holding my breath.

I cannot understand why so many of you have so much faith in ArmA to solve everything, especially when such things as invisible walls and building clipping havent even been addressed in OFP1 in the 4 years that its been out.

Im glad you stepped into the conversation Killiki because if it werent for guys like you this game would have died long ago. I think this game has lasted because of the enthusiasm of the community that plays it rather than its makers. The modding community have made a lot of addons to make this game better - strip that all away and you've pretty much got a very buggy game.

Oh no, Marshal is down.

Just so you know there will always be cheaters in MP games, especialy on a game has open ended has flashpoint, just forget about leagues and enjoy the game with some buds on a private server, if you want online competition there are other games better than OPF for that, this game and comunity is way above that league crap, thats quake/CS territory.

If you like graphics vs scale, cqb vs open ended games, competition vs fun and imersion you are playing the wrong game, theres plenty of that out there, go play americas army then. Better yet try BF2 >> that way, seems like the game for you.

Now acording to you BIS should rule out what made this game great and focus on pretty graphics, WTF man crazy_o.gif .

OPF:E was never meant to be a BF2 clone, its diferent, its bigger, it may not be has pretty but it delivers alot more, dont like it? Leave, its not like BIS will make a game to suit your personal taste besides there are plenty of pretty small games out there so i dont see why your not a happy gamer confused_o.gif .

Support? You really expected BIS would support this game for 4+ years crazy_o.gif , like:

" We are very sorry that back in 2001 available PC resources and technology couldnt handle proper physics, colision detection and future graphics technology so here you have a new version of our old game for free, thank you for buying our old game 5 years ago."

Be real, and yes modders really kept the game going with the missin editor BIS provided, with visitor that BIS provided, with O2 that BIS also provided, and you got to set your league because BIS was generous enough to make MP work, do you remember V 1.0? Were you around? I dont think you were...

Yes the game still has some issues, yes it looks 3 years old but if you push resolution and AA/AF it still looks great, i still land on a top of a hill admiring the sunset and scenery, i still like the freedom and amount of detail rendered in it, i still play it and like it and i cant wait for ARMA, Doom3 cost me 60€, i went thru SP once and tried MP once, its now burried and forgoten and OPFR is still instaled in my machine, best value i ever got out of a game for my money.

Farewell Marshal, im sorry you dont like OPF, im sure there are enough games out there that suit your preference smile_o.gif .

This is going waaay off topic crazy_o.gif .

No, the most of players playing CTI wink_o.gif

There was an ofp serverstats webpage (but it isn't exist since last year sad_o.gif ), and on the most played missions table, the mfcti 1.16 maps were always on the first places, with the most of players. As i remember, the most played mission after cti missions, was the Saint Pierre TCZ.

CTF actually doesn't even come close nowdays.

This is data i recorded under a short period a few months ago.

CTI - 9604 games, 113095593 sec playertime

CTF - 7115 games, 49697000 sec playertime

Currently the most played mission after various CTIs is the Battlefield v1.81++ ch30 map, followed by corridor CTF.