Sign in to follow this  
zootso

Release....

Guest major gandhi

I agree with Aussie there.

What I don't understand is why developpers still issue such naive release dates. I mean when a mod-team that works in their freetime on the stuff can't keep such a release date it's totally understanable. But a professional game company that already published two games + vbs1 should be able to estimate how much work is still left and how long it'll take to complete their project! That can't be too hard damn it! Thier are supposed to be professionals!

What's also pretty annoying is that developpers don't think it's necessary to tell the community what's happening. Of course the relationship between the community and the developpers is better than in other game communities. But what is so difficult about telling us, "No we won't make the release in 2005, it'll be Q1 or 2 2006". Especially when you consider that most guys here are loyal to this game since 2001!

We wont see Arm As till early next year. Theres no way they can get a publisher and package,then release the game within 2 months, which to me dont make any sense at all. Xmas is the peak $$$$ time It is a little disapointing to not have any more info considering we are still here playing after all these years. Perhaps even as late as March next year. This is one time I hope I am wrong though

Who said they don't have a publisher yet? confused_o.gif

I mean look at how fast OFP:Elite came out. The date of the BIS press release (Elite going gold) was 14.10.2005 and a week ago it came out in Europe whistle.gif

EDIT:

And the news of Codemaster being the publisher came out on 30.9.2005 which is a bit more then a month ago so I guess it's still possible it will come out with christmas whistle.gif

@major gandhi: Why would professional programmers be on time while they have experience in previous games? They don't, it's a new piece of code, new software, new changes. While writing a program(in this case, a game) most likely there will always be bugs. as it is partly new, it is therefor different. a mod-team is not the same as a professional team most of the times, but still, they might be organised as a professional company and depends of the free time they put in it. Don't forget mods are making units missions script and so on, then test it, this is the base of all this they have to (re)write which is harder. Done when it's done...

And I think they already found a publisher, they are just not telling it yet.

The reason for not giving information away can be because of many reasons, which of you and I aren't aware of. They always have a reason for it. Just trust them a bit  banghead.gif

I mean look at how fast OFP:Elite came out. The date of the BIS press release (Elite going gold) was 14.10.2005 and a week ago it came out in Europe  whistle.gif

Uhh.. so?

What difference does it make how fast it took to get to shelves after they started to print the discs?

It does mean however mean that it has to go gold before the beginning of december unless BIS and the publisher want to royally screw their sales (of course assuming the printing process takes the same amount of time).

Quote[/b] ]Who said they don't have a publisher yet?  confused_o.gif

Well.. they have not announced any yet and I don't see a reason to hide that fact.

I mean look at how fast OFP:Elite came out. The date of the BIS press release (Elite going gold) was 14.10.2005 and a week ago it came out in Europe whistle.gif

Uhh.. so?

What difference does it make how fast it took to get to shelves after they started to print the discs?

Look at my edit whistle.gif

I mean look at how fast OFP:Elite came out. The date of the BIS press release (Elite going gold) was 14.10.2005 and a week ago it came out in Europe  whistle.gif

Uhh.. so?

Look at my edit  whistle.gif

I recall codemasters being called the publisher for god-knows-how-long. I think they said that at the last E3 too.

Christmas release is not impossible but it seems as likely as general guba doing a striptease. yay.gif

Uhh.. so?

I recall codemasters being called the publisher for god-knows-how-long. I think they said that at the last E3 too.

They didn't say it on last E3. Publisher was back then "to be determined" we heard Codemasters would be the publisher in the 30.9.2005 press release.

Uhh.. so?

Christmas release is not impossible but it seems as likely as general guba doing a striptease. yay.gif

well whaddya know I think he's feeling as hot as the rest of us knowing the game of the year is knocking on our doors tounge2.gif

Im not getting my hopes up of ArmA coming out any time soon. Lets look at the facts shall we?

1. BIS refuse to let their loyal followers know any information about a release date or how far along the road they are from completing the game.

2. Even if they were ready to release the game tomorrow, they do not have a publisher.

3. I personally believe that this game is a long way off - Why do I believe this? Well for starters theres only 4 screenshots of the game on their official website. The ArmA website is basic to say the least - hardly any info or screenshots.

4. Having bought OFP: Elite for the XBox last week I am very worried about what they will do with any future OFP related games. It seems that they are more interested in adding moving grass than getting things right like clear graphics and nice looking soldiers.

5. BIS need to get in some new programmers to give the game a facelift. Its obvious that BIS are a pretty small outfit run by 2 brothers. Compare OFP with BF2 and theres no competition in the graphics and engine stakes. I know that some people will say that Im trying to compare a 4 year old game with the latest technology, but what about OFP: Elite? Some may say that the XBox wouldnt have the power to run OFP anyway, but what about other games like Splinter Cell and Doom 3 which use better graphics, also what about the new BF2 game for the XBox?

Granted, BF2 doesnt have quite the same playability as OFP, but do you seriously believe that OFP has to look so crap with todays PC technology? What about ragdoll physics, real weather conditions and less bugs?

I was surprised at how good BF2 was straight out of the box - no building clipping or odd things that plagued OFP on release that needed a fix (and in most cases still arent fixed).

I believe that if BIS dont get a publisher soon or release ArmA within the next quarter that they will lose the vast majority of people interested in their game. I recently reinstalled OFP to my PC and realise that its a really old and tired looking game now. Why did BIS take so long to start working on a sequel? 4 years is an awful long time to expect fans of the game to wait (and are still waiting) for a new game.

As many of you know, I ran the TNT league for 2 years and had 100% faith in the greatness of this game for 4 years. But over the past year I have lost all faith to be honest because of the way that BIS has handled the cheats (or should I say that they havent actually done anything to stop them?) and how they have simply abandoned the game and basically sent out a message to the community to 'get on with it'. Some people will say that what do I expect for a 4 year old game, but it was BIS who chose to take that long to work on an update.

Its obvious that Codemasters also had the same worries otherwise they wouldnt have pulled out as publisher.

So, what's the status?

I skipped the whole thread, only to find out what I already know -> nothing.

It seems that PR team (if there exists any) has somewhat misconception of what a PR really is. Perhaps they mistook it for censorship.

Well, whatever. I'll buy it when/if it comes out.

Maybe,doubtful,but don't forget the games you suggest all have an area you must stick to and its generally 10x smaller than an OFP island or area,plus the higehr graphics you have the less space I guess you could say,a vast island on bf2 wouldn't necessarily work too well.

Notice how even the 64 player maps only expand barely when compared to 32 or simply get another post or two?

I wouldn't worry about the nice looking soldiers so much,remember the game was based on gameplay and simulation,not eye candy.

Im not getting my hopes up of ArmA coming out any time soon. Lets look at the facts shall we?

1. BIS refuse to let their loyal followers know any information about a release date or how far along the road they are from completing the game.

2. Even if they were ready to release the game tomorrow, they do not have a publisher.

3. I personally believe that this game is a long way off - Why do I believe this? Well for starters theres only 4 screenshots of the game on their official website. The ArmA website is basic to say the least - hardly any info or screenshots.

4. Having bought OFP: Elite for the XBox last week I am very worried about what they will do with any future OFP related games. It seems that they are more interested in adding moving grass than getting things right like clear graphics and nice looking soldiers.

5. BIS need to get in some new programmers to give the game a facelift. Its obvious that BIS are a pretty small outfit run by 2 brothers. Compare OFP with BF2 and theres no competition in the graphics and engine stakes. I know that some people will say that Im trying to compare a 4 year old game with the latest technology, but what about OFP: Elite? Some may say that the XBox wouldnt have the power to run OFP anyway, but what about other games like Splinter Cell and Doom 3 which use better graphics, also what about the new BF2 game for the XBox?

Granted, BF2 doesnt have quite the same playability as OFP, but do you seriously believe that OFP has to look so crap with todays PC technology? What about ragdoll physics, real weather conditions and less bugs?

I was surprised at how good BF2 was straight out of the box - no building clipping or odd things that plagued OFP on release that needed a fix (and in most cases still arent fixed).

I believe that if BIS dont get a publisher soon or release ArmA within the next quarter that they will lose the vast majority of people interested in their game. I recently reinstalled OFP to my PC and realise that its a really old and tired looking game now. Why did BIS take so long to start working on a sequel? 4 years is an awful long time to expect fans of the game to wait (and are still waiting) for a new game.

As many of you know, I ran the TNT league for 2 years and had 100% faith in the greatness of this game for 4 years. But over the past year I have lost all faith to be honest because of the way that BIS has handled the cheats (or should I say that they havent actually done anything to stop them?) and how they have simply abandoned the game and basically sent out a message to the community to 'get on with it'. Some people will say that what do I expect for a 4 year old game, but it was BIS who chose to take that long to work on an update.

Its obvious that Codemasters also had the same worries otherwise they wouldnt have pulled out as publisher.

Bah, those facts are no good.

1. Its not of our business, its obviously not apropriate for them to advertise their future games when they have just released a console one.

2. Not their fault? I wouldnt like to see BIS make a deal with a BS publisher just to be rushed and throw games out before the end of said publishers fiscal year. Decent achievements and art take time to acomplish, BIS wont settle for less.

3. VBS2 is being presented in a private event by the end of this month, if both products share the shame technology and engine then its likely that things are shaping up.

4. The xbox console system has a 700 mhz cpu, 64 megs of PC2100 ram and a GF3 based graphics chip, they did a good job.

5. BIS seems quite big and competent to me, they have "other" business afairs other than developing state of the art technology for both consumer and private use, they recently released one console game and are working on 3 other apps simultaniously i believe.

OPF is larger than everything ever done on console, its more comparable to a GTA game with the diference that things dont spawn into the game out of thin air, D3 is a corridor game, your comparison there is ridiculous... BF2 is aimed more towards graphics but doesnt deliver 1/3 of what is available in OPF:E.

OPF for PC looks not so great and has some issues because:

a) The game is huge and open ended.

b) The game is 4.5 years old since release.

BF2 will also look like crap after 4 years and nobody will play it because its a very limited game, i also doubt it will be supported for 4 years, furthermore i remind you that like other games out there OPF wasnt supposed to have MP, yet BIS supported us and made it work, they also improved the game with several patches and improvements over the years, their support was way above average, how soon do we forget whistle.gif .

True OPF fans will wait, all will come runing when they hear news about the game because there is no alternative out there, definetly not BF2 rofl.gif .

Codemasters did a wrong move/decision, bohemia can and will deliver great, unique products. Do you know how long D3, HL2 and Far Cry took in development wink_o.gif ?

Eww, im sounding like Placebo here, better vanish crazy_o.gif .

These comparisons right here are really silly, your comparing OFP and BF2's graphics, BF2 cant handle anywhere near the amount of units on a map or island like OFP can at once and OFP has far more area to play on.

Your now comparing OFP Elite, Splinter Cell and Doom 3, thats a even worse comparison then the one above. Doom 3 has very small "modeled" maps and doesn't use height maps for the ground. Ever seen whats behind the walls in those Doom 3 maps, thats right absolutely nothing except a background box model for the sky and horizon, not to mention the very little amount of AI at once in the game. BF2 on XBOX a lot of graphics have been cut down and again BF2 doesn't need the resources like OFP does with the massive amount of units it can run at a time.

Again you state why "OFP has to look so crap with todays PC technology" You said yourself above that OFP is over 4 years old so what are you trying to say here?, Armed Assault is not even out yet for everyone to see up close and I believe a lot of new details in it will look very good once you have it running, especially the new shaders which will make a big difference from OFP. Some of the unit models are from VBS and the models in VBS are very good if you actually see it running on your own PC.

It's funny though, I've heard a lot of people that played OFP bought BF2 and came back to OFP because of BF2's stupid gameplay online, I'd rather play something like Unreal Tournament if I want to jump around fragging people.

I do agree with the cheating you brought up marshal the filecheckers are useless and I mean USELESS the only way I can handle cheats is using the knowledge of who I know and who I dont the ones I dont normally the stupid names get kicked but somtimes that fails and you get people comming on saying "why you kick me!!" bla bla bla but its the only way to deal with them.

Happened yesterday on Castle Keeps some guy on west taking out our jeeps and running us over in the humvee with god mode on. I managed to kick him first time with his stupid name but then another person on east started to do the same thing in the same game he had god mode on running us over with brdm I also kicked him first time rofl.gif but somtimes it goes wrong and people take it out on us its bad for the community and theres not a thing we can do about it but kick and ban.

Hi,

i think Armed Assault is on the way to the never ending story like "Duke Nuke'd Wherever" and "Team Fortress 2 late" - They should give them the new name : "Armed Never Assault".

The community needs more information like status of the prozess, pictures, videos or so.

Snakeater @ Nov. 08 2005,09:41)]Hi,

i think Armed Assault is on the way to the never ending story like "Duke Nuke'd Wherever" and "Team Fortress 2 late" - They should give them the new name : "Armed Never Assault".

The community needs more information like status of the prozess, pictures, videos or so.

You forget that they only officially announced this game at E3 this year! And PR work is for the publisher to handle. And before you start saying yes but its been 4 years since ofp take into account that they have 3 game projects running at the same time, all the tools to build the games are built in house, and this project seems to be major upgrade/update of current OFP engine not the main project and is being released for us to play with in the mean time. And if what Heatseeker said about VBS2 sharing ArmA technologies then this should be a pleasent improvement for us.

Im sure somewhere it says in one of the interviews with BIS it said that the release date was a hopeful release date not gods word. Oh yes and at least they havent lavished us in pics and videos only to push it back. Patience the storm is coming

wink_o.gif

@Heatseeker

"3. VBS2 is being presented in a private event by the end of this month, if both products share the shame technology and engine then its likely that things are shaping up."

where did you hear that?

Why does everyone think that ArmA will share the same graphics and technology as VBS2?

VBS was a lot more expensive than OFP and was made specifically for the military. Why would a company use the same technology from VBS2 which is vastly more expensive when you could just buy VBS2 anyway?

Its a bit like saying Jaguar are going to bring out a state of the art car for Å300,000 but theyre also bringing out another version which will have most of the features too for just Å10,000. Why would anyone want to buy the dearer option if the cheaper one has the same technology?

And, regardless of what any of you have said, BIS have in the past and still today refuse to address the cheating problem. Why do you think so many players left the game?

As I said in my earlier post, I reloaded up OFP the other day for old times sake and in the very first game back online I saw cardboard looking vehicles driving around and players on the map were transported to different areas on the map including being suspended in the sky. Perhaps somebody could tell me what other game suffers from such an active cheat community with no response from the games company?

Yes I accept OFP is an old game, but when did BIS ever tackle the cheating issue? Never to my knowledge and that was from day 1.

The main cheat community which makes cheats for OFP even have the cheek to have a disclaimer on their site saying that they reserve the right to use BIS code to make cheats and if you dont agree then you shouldnt enter the site.

Perhaps Doom 3 was a bad example, but it does bring me onto another question and that is why OFP has to load complete islands and have it all running at the same time? Seriously how many players here have played a map that uses the entire length of Everon?

Its a bit like saying that Halflife 2 looks rubbish because you can explore the whole game as soon as you enter it and so all the locations are there sitting using your processor even though your 99% unlikely to use them.

I have made several maps in my time and I would rather select a small area to run the map - that is why such things as fog have to be added, to stop the game lagging because too much terrain is available which you dont even need for your mission.

Quote[/b] ]Seriously how many players here have played a map that uses the entire length of Everon?

I've played, very often indeed and on islands bigger than Everon. So you are basically saying that for the sake of eye candy we should have smaller maps and have loading pauses while moving to other parts of the island? Ever heard of Capture The Island (CTI), big coop maps, helicopter insertions and such? I think you are arguing here against the very thing that makes OFP tick.

@Heatseeker

"3. VBS2 is being presented in a private event by the end of this month, if both products share the shame technology and engine then its likely that things are shaping up."

where did you hear that? wow_o.gif

Discuss here

souce there smile_o.gif .

Its a bit like saying that Halflife 2 looks rubbish because you can explore the whole game as soon as you enter it and so all the locations are there sitting using your processor even though your 99% unlikely to use them.

I have made several maps in my time and I would rather select a small area to run the map - that is why such things as fog have to be added, to stop the game lagging because too much terrain is available which you dont even need for your mission.

But there you are wrong, true they are loaded, but they are only taking resources if it's in your visibility range, or when something is near it, otherwise there is no need for it, and then it isn't taken into consideration.

The big maps are lovely for CTI, give me one game who offers such type of game.

And yes, for some missions, you don't need the entire area, why should fogs be added, it's silly to create borders, people can get lost, and that gives a more realistic aspect, which is another nice feature of OFP.

This thread is about the release of Armed Assault not things like that, stick to the subject perhaps.

Talking about the release, I think they still can make it on time. They didn't announce anything, but tat can change any day. They don't have a publisher you say? who says that, a publisher isn't important to be known before the game has gone gold, and I'm pretty sure they have found one wink_o.gif

Maybe you chose the wrong game and you are better off with Counterstrike and the Battlefield Series.

And I am still very pleased with OFP graphics. Gameplay is all that counts for me - I really love to play coop missions and the only game that delivers is OFP.

Doom 3, HL 2 and Far Cry are Graphics Demos to sell an engine license. Allthough HL 2 and Far Cry are nice demos and I played them for a while. BF2 is a nice little Game too but with every new BF franchise it's getting more and more boring. I enjoyed BF1942 for its short and fast paced battles but I don't see the point having to buy a new one with a new dress every other year like a sports franchise. I'm just not this kind of Gamer and I never was and never will be.

Talking about the release, I think they still can make it on time. They didn't announce anything, but tat can change any day. They don't have a publisher you say? who says that, a publisher isn't important to be known before the game has gone gold, and I'm pretty sure they have found one wink_o.gif

The publisher isn't important to be known but the game has to be. There are almost no ads and very few previews for OFP:E and with ArmA it's the same - I mean it is supposed to be released this year but barely anyone knows about it outside this community.

OFP:E clearly delivers what BF2 fails to on Xbox but still, more people will buy BF2 because they simply don't know about OFP:E.

There should be more previews, ads, screenshots, movies, maybe a developer diary for ArmA by this time. Not for us here but for all the gamers who never heared of Armed Assault. There are so many games out there, it's a very strong competition these days - you need to have a strong PR to get your games bought. Quality is not an insurance for good sales anymore.

Or put it like this , most people dont like complicated games so that is why they play BF2 , no teamwork , just runing and shoting ,in ofp launguage calle "R" "A" "M" "B" "O"

or better AmericsArmy packed with cheats even it got PunkBuster running and still needs a lot of Fog to be set on them tiny maps they got... whistle.gif