Sign in to follow this  
Polish GI

Squad Alignment???

Has this been discussed?  Could not find any info on it.

Do we know if there will be an ability to change the lineup of a rifle squad?  More specifically, have the ability to put a rifleman on point, put the squad leader in the 3-4 position, with the RTO behind him?  Have the AT soldier in the 5 position with a machinegunner behind him as opposed to a preset order/alignment.  Just throwing this out there to collect thoughts...

2: Advance

3: stay back

4,5: flank left biggrin_o.gif .

Or..

4,5 on team blue

6,7,8 on team red

etc biggrin_o.gif .

I would like to see less "perfect" formations and see them scatered a bit more, for a more natural feeling, i would also like if the a.i. wouldnt react to the squad leader's slightest movements, they are just too robotic imo.

Anyway just some thoughts wink_o.gif .

I agree that this would be good.

Scripting is nice but it's even better if these features could be put into the core game. Maybe it wont require much work since the scripts already exists smile_o.gif.

The commmands themselves could be made quicker to access through some macro style commands. IE, that you could put out a chain of commands and use a hotkey for it.

marcus

Id like to see small packed formations for Mout Like Wedge Mout or Collum Mout.

First:

This should go to the OFP2 threads as ArAs will not experience major changes anymore.

On the subject:

It would be nice if formations for open terrain as we have them now in OFP would get replaced in the menu with CQB formations when the leader or any other squadmember enters a village, town , etc.

This should be handled automatically by game engine.

So basically there would be two formation setups:

One for open terrain, one for villages, towns, etc

For sure you have to check the kind of unit first.

Jets should have the regular selection at all times as it makes no sense to let them do CQB smile_o.gif

Erm ... just curiuos ... whats formation in reality? For example ... the MGunners possition in the formation or medics or AT soldier? Anyone knows?

On the subject:

It would be nice if formations for open terrain as we have them now in OFP would get replaced in the menu with CQB formations when the leader or any other squadmember enters a village, town , etc.

This should be handled automatically by game engine.

So basically there would be two formation setups:

One for open terrain, one for villages, towns, etc

For sure you have to check the kind of unit first.

Jets should have the regular selection at all times as it makes no sense to let them do CQB  smile_o.gif

I think all this would require too much a.i. code changes confused_o.gif , if the current a.i. sticks together the only thing they will achieve is getting themselves killed faster.

You know how it goes, officer spots enemy, 2,3 engage soldier, then they run away in the oposite direction and the machinegunner kills you from 500M betwean fences, bushes and stuff.

What would work better was if the a.i. walked automaticaly when you do and had better pathfinding has to walk real close to the buildings instead of running thru them.

You enter town walking and the squad follows moving close to the buildings and trying to maintain visual contact with eachother, formations in urban shouldnt matter much because they should use any available cover possible, a.i. formations should adapt to the environment and not be the perfect (/) or (v) all the time, i think mout or swat cqb tactics may be out of the question but this could have been considered imo smile_o.gif .

I think something similar to the generral baron`s hand signals compiled with the Full Spectrum Warrior style of movement (during the cqb) would be greatest thing ever...

Leaning, quickly running from building to another, using cover provided by other squad members, (suppressive fire)...

That would be...next generation game...ops xmas_o.gif

I think they won`t do much with the formations in AA...

But hey, Anyting better than ofp will be good enough for me.

Why would it take so much time? All they need to do is study some of the user scripts and make them integral with the engine.

OFP2 is nice but if they want to sell some ArmA to finance the development then I hope there's a reason other than some new graphics.

Actually I thought that these things already were implemented in VBS, it's supposed to be more realistic after all.

Now that OFP Elite is gold I gues there's more time to reveal some news about this game. Or lock this thread and announce something themselves.

marcus

Quote[/b] ]I think all this would require too much a.i. code changes confused_o.gif , if the current a.i. sticks together the only thing they will achieve is getting themselves killed faster.

You know how it goes, officer spots enemy, 2,3 engage soldier, then they run away in the oposite direction and the machinegunner kills you from 500M betwean fences, bushes and stuff.

I don´t think it would require too much. Basically only the formations are changed and new rules for AI would be in place. That means units would stick more close to the leader, use different directions for covering the team and will stick with the team unless told to do else. Basically it´s just a pack of scripts that is fired when entering a town. Of course this requires some kind of AI "knowledge" on the surrounding and proper schemes on how to deal with different situations. As CQB is one missing thing in OFP1 and we already know that BIS will go for a better CQB system in coming releases it should be one thing they should focus on and I´m sure they will. The improved collision detection system within villages would make little sense without the appropriate set of rules for AI in such surroundings.

Regarding a modified squad formation handling I am fairly certain I made a similar suggestion pretty early in one of the Game2 stickies.

Basically being able to define your own formation, assigning coving areas for the various positions and assigning squad members to certain positions in the formation, depending on their role.

HEY I DONT CARE HOW YOU ASSIGN THE MEN IN UR LINE-UP.....JUST TAKE CARE OF YOUR RTO!!!!! =|[T0]|= <---ArmyCcommunications ...specifically 25C by MOS! However ...if your commo here ....you'll fix everything from satellite dishes to the microwave! banghead.gif