Sign in to follow this  
Cpt Viper

Mission Editor

What do you guys think, about the Mission Editor that will come with Armed Assault (If there will come on, which i'm confident of)

Should it be improved? What would you guys like to have extra in that ?

I'm quite curious about it really, i would like to being able to make a more living enviroment. Civilians and that sort.

Your opinion ?

- Viper

I'd like the interface to be like this, other then that I really don't see what to ask for. Maybe a interface that lets you customise units better? (IE list the "weaponnames / magazinenames" of a unit)

Guest Ti0n3r

Ability to delete or rename missions via the editor would be nice. smile_o.gif I would also love it if BIS made it possible to write descriptions and briefings inside the editor.

Ability to delete or rename missions via the editor would be nice. smile_o.gif I would also love it if BIS made it possible to write descriptions and briefings inside the editor.

"Intro"

"mission"

"outro - win"

"outro - lose"

"Description"

"briefing"

etc? wink_o.gif

I would like it to be easier to use cameras..

Also some kind of slow motion toggle biggrin_o.gif

It's easy to make slow motion! Just make a trigger, then type "setacctime X.X" into the Activation box (minus the quotation marks, and add a number).

It won't work in MP missions... unless it's an intro/outro thing (actually I'm not sure, can't say I remember for certain if they work in MP either).

I think the following could be easily implemented and sometimes it would make the editing faster (although we all knows it is not necessary, but it would be nice to have those features).

1. to be able to change the side of placed unit from within the editor

(when you place any unit, you can change only type of the unit, but no longer its side - sometimes it could be handy)

2. ability of editing scripts from within the editor.

(even if ArmA could be run in windowed mode like OFP, to easily switch to your favorite editor)

3. more freedom when placing units/objects in the 'advanced' mode

(to be able to change various parameters without the need of editing mission.sqm directly)

4. object display filters

(to be able to hide waypoints, etc., because sometimes it can be a little messy)

5. object selector filters

(to be able to select all units/objects of particular type, and maybe even some 'replace' function could be handy)

6. live preview

(when placing objects)

7. object snapping with definable spacing

8. rotation of multiple seleced objects, relative to the selection center

I'd like the Editor to be more like WRP Tool , were you can accually see what you have placed.(Shape and Size are true)

1. to be able to change the side of placed unit from within the editor

(when you place any unit, you can change only type of the unit, but no longer its side - sometimes it could be handy)

I'm pretty sure by memory that you could do this with a old version of OFP, I'm not sure what version but it was a along time ago. It definately would come in handy when you want to change a units side and allready have waypoints etc setup for that unit, but you have to redo it again.

The FDF or ECP editor interface is a lot better for sure, I really like with the FDF editor how the drop down list for units is twice as long meaning less scrolling finding a unit specially when theres a heap of units which makes things quicker.

It would be cool if you could have more than one mission open at one time (using tabs) - so you could copy and paste.

Another great thing would be to have a textviewer in the mission editor, so you could edit scripts etc.

To not make this too hard for newcomers, you could make 3 layout settings instead of 2... basic, advanced and expert!

You could also jst make the editor a standalone .exe like the starcraft mission editor for example... This would also allow people using a slower comp, or when sitting at work create missions without having Armed Assault installed.

I would agree with most of what you guys say, also the bigger space to actually edit in, would be nice, just like ECP has.

And also renaming from within the Editor would be very helpful, and overwrite Multiplayer missions, as i don't like alt-tabbing out, deleting the file, and re-save it again.

You could also jst make the editor a standalone .exe like the starcraft mission editor for example... This would also allow people using a slower comp, or when sitting at work create missions without having Armed Assault installed.

But then you wouldn't have the preview option which makes things so quick and easy to see whats going on and is also a huge part of testing and creating addons before release. That would require to save the mission in the editor then load the game up seperately to view the misison crazy_o.gif

But then you wouldn't have the preview option which makes things so quick and easy to see whats going on and is also a huge part of testing and creating addons before release. That would require to save the mission in the editor then load the game up seperately to view the misison crazy_o.gif

thats true... uhm

Anyway, the rest still stands smile_o.gif

hmmm...one thing which would be really great is:

if u can see and move the object which u put into the mission.

It always takes so much time to review the mission to see where the objects stands.

It would be so nice if we have an editor with free view on the map, maybe with optional wireframe with or without textures.

with a free camera to move on the map and modify the objects, like move it, would really help to make nice maps without ugly bugs like a tree stucked in a house!

The script language is nice, ofcourse it would be easier if there would be another way but then we maybe cant create new game-styles.

I really would like an improved mission editor, but im sure it will be in ArmedAssault!

im really waiting for it, i wanna make as many nice maps as possible!

im still making maps for OFP for a few ctf-leagues for example, so the most time i needed to make maps was to put objects on it and to move them till they r at the correct position.

So with a free view with all editing objects would really help me much! biggrin_o.gif

with best wishes

Frantic

My ArmA Editor wish-list :

1 - 3D real-time preview. For aligning objects, mainly, positioning people in buildings etc..

All the Delta Force mission editors had this, and it was good

2 - Changeable interface, so you don't need unnessariy things open

3 - EXTERNAL MISSION EDITOR!! So I dont have to run OFP to get to the mission editor, unless the windowed-OFP works better, but a seperate editor would be great..

Erm, thats all I can think of for now

- Ben

You´re aware that none of that will go into ArAs ?

If you got editor suggestions you may adress them in the OFP2 thread but ArAs will unlikely be much changed.

If you got editor suggestions you may adress them in the OFP2 thread but ArAs will unlikely be much changed.

well, probably not, but who knows?

maybe someone will read few posts here, think about it a little, and then he will say "well, we can add this simple thing like the filtered selections", or something like that - most of the things i have mentioned are VERY SIMPLE to implement.

Who knows? MAYBE (if there will be some updates - even one - like there was for OFP), maybe they will add some of these simple features.

I think we all know, that BIS won't delay the release of ArmA for a year just because someone thinks the editor should be completely reworked, but to add one or few ultra simple and little features? i think it could be possible.

I also think that much of these features are already implemented in the upcoming ArmA and its editor, but it won't hurt to mention what we want smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]most of the things i have mentioned are VERY SIMPLE to implement.

How do you know ? huh.gif

I am sure there are changes with ArAs as the program comes with new scripting features and functions. I guess it´s also very likely that there will be some kind of camera tool embedded. But rudimentary editor changes with a major upgrade are more likely for OFP2 than ArAs.

On a sidenote:

As Xbox OFP Elite and Aras are very close to each other it is assumeable that we will get some benefit from the simplified editor for XBox. Maybe we get presets. Who knows ? smile_o.gif

We anrt saying they should be implemented we are just deciding for our selfs what might be added...

i would like it if they had real time view for poisitioning objects would be great..

I would like the "script" waypoint to maybe have its own drop down menu where you could select the type of script to be implimented. The scripts would obviously be already in the game. It would save time from having to traul through OFPEC and finding the best one..It would also be good for newbies to the editor as some people can't grasp the scripting side of OFP.

I wouldnt be suprised if thats actually implemented into the mission editor. We already know that for OFP:E theres somthing similair to that where you can selected already scripted stuff in the editor i belive. Like template missions types and such.

well what could happen is you just download scripts and place them into a ArmA Script folder /ArmedAssault/Scrips/

Then it gives you a drop down menu of scripts which are in your folder it then copies that script into your mission folder, so you can have your fav scripts and such..

I'd like a built in command reference that you could copy and paste from, that would be sweet.

that would be nice if we could write scripts and another text files without alttab. I mean ofp has to have an ability to edit text files insidely. It also would be nice to have integrated paa and ogg converters. Briefing editor. Description edititor. Menu-maker is very needed! It's so time taking to create complex menu in ofp via description.ext. And other tools. BIS please make editing more comfortable