Sign in to follow this  
Wonder

Engine limitation busters hall of fame

Problem: No hand to hand combat

Solution: UKF's Bayonets

(sorry, but felt like being the first one to plug in here

biggrin_o.gif )

In all fairness that was in the original game, just disabled, but you guys refined it a good bit wink_o.gif

What about that Turbo Piper addon, it had an amphibious aircraft, it could take off water, but it couldn't land on it.

First decent "nation" mod: FDFMOD (or at least I can't recall any other full MODs (demos and piles of addons dont count tounge2.gif))

I think CSLA I came out before

Limitation: default animated landing gear

Hero: Kegetys

Possibility to transfer whole arrays or strings through network

in multiplayer + check for received data on other end of node

+ direct access from network to individual clients which

means that certain data packets can be sent to a specific

client vice versa.

broken by CoC NS

Controll over more than a player and eleven AI soldiers

broken by CoC (command engine)

Spectator modus in multiplayer after death

by Kegety's

More objects available in editor, which were there by default

but not enabled.

by Gunslinger and by Kegety's (just dunno who of them was

first)

~S~ CD

MI-26 was just one big break-through!

Does anyone remember which addon was the very first OFP community addon in OFP?

This reminds me old addon of some vinatge car wich was first one wich opened and closed doors automaticaly when you get in or get out. Sadly i have no idea who made it sad_o.gif

you mean that :

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=4300

model and textures were by vibes, i'm not sure who made the config... either vibes or some other wwIIec members...

Does anyone remember which addon was the very first OFP community addon in OFP?

As far as I know, the first released unofficial addon was my Objects1 addon, released somewhere around August 2001 (I think).

Engine limitations : no postprocessing/reflection

Broken by Kegetys and feersum.endjinn (DXDLL)

Engine limitations : no destructible parts for buildings

Broken by Colonel Klink (Dynamic Interactive Buildings)

Searched for the Dynamic Interactive Buildings form Colonel Klink, but didn't find them. No link given. Has anyone seen it at work?

Eddie

[OT]There was whole DIB forum and it seems Col. Klink released a demo, but... it's gone. It's all gone... forum, demo...

BIS "bought" him too, right? confused_o.gif So You know, why VBS1 users will have fun, destroying buildings with Dynamic Buildings addon [or maybe patch? I don't know, just saw the video...]

Please, if some1 from have that demo - pm me.

When I saw the news about DIB, there wasn't demo yet. It's seems that news have been edited, and I miss that. [/OT]

***On Topic***

Maybe it's not a limitation, but... :P

Problem: Stupid AI

Solution: ECP, FFUR, VME [?]

Gotta give one to our nephilim for all of her innovative ideas and not only that but her determination to carry them out (which sometimes is even harder than coming up with the idea).

All of the mods, even if they never got too far, at least they gave it a shot.

A bunch of independent people too, who really know how to accomplish things on their own.

I wouldn't say too many real limitations have actualy been "broken", only that many brilliant people have found ways around them to a certian extent, and it bothers me that once people do this, everyone forgets all about the original limitation and no longer tries to come up with an actual fix for it or a way to improve on the work-around for it.

Enough of my opinion, some credit to everyone in the community that does or at one time has participated in editing for OFP, no matter how big or small your impact was, we are glad to have you all.

I did my part in pushing a bit past engine limitations as well, most were small things though, and anything but flawless, but that doesn't change the fact that they pushed the limits of OFP, weather it be the grenades, the stuff I did with the JJR nam troops, or a few of my other experimental addons (most of which are sitting in a folder, put away for now).

I think that OFP itself is a "busted" limitation, because its such an amazing game that is unlike anything ever seen before, and really proved what could be done with games in general, and it certianly affects its players very greatly. That can easily be seen when you look at the community and all that has been accomplished, and to alot of people OFP is more than just a game.

Of course this is all because of the wonderful people who made this game. What BIS did was not simply create just another game, but they gave life to an extraordinary gaming experience that has grown into what is now 2 released games, 3 more in the works, an extremely talented and complex community, and thousands of players that had a chance to participate in something on such a huge scale, something that has brought many, many people together with a common interest, OFP.

Gotta give one to our nephilim for all of her innovative ideas and not only that but her determination to carry them out (which sometimes is even harder than coming up with the idea).

All of the mods, even if they never got too far, at least they gave it a shot.

A bunch of independent people too, who really know how to accomplish things on their own.

I wouldn't say too many real limitations have actualy been "broken", only that many brilliant people have found ways around them to a certian extent, and it bothers me that once people do this, everyone forgets all about the original limitation and no longer tries to come up with an actual fix for it or a way to improve on the work-around for it.

Enough of my opinion, some credit to everyone in the community that does or at one time has participated in editing for OFP, no matter how big or small your impact was, we are glad to have you all.

I did my part in pushing a bit past engine limitations as well, most were small things though, and anything but flawless, but that doesn't change the fact that they pushed the limits of OFP, weather it be the grenades, the stuff I did with the JJR nam troops, or a few of my other experimental addons (most of which are sitting in a folder, put away for now).

I think that OFP itself is a "busted" limitation, because its such an amazing game that is unlike anything ever seen before, and really proved what could be done with games in general, and it certianly affects its players very greatly. That can easily be seen when you look at the community and all that has been accomplished, and to alot of people OFP is more than just a game.

Of course this is all because of the wonderful people who made this game. What BIS did was not simply create just another game, but they gave life to an extraordinary gaming experience that has grown into what is now 2 released games, 3 more in the works, an extremely talented and complex community, and thousands of players that had a chance to participate in something on such a huge scale, something that has brought many, many people together with a common interest, OFP.

That last statement couldn't be any more true. smile_o.gif

Not sure if this was a limitation, but I think people tried it with no success.

Problem- huge islands (or at least huge islands unplayable because of lag)

Solve- BAS (Tonal)

Engine limitations : no postprocessing/reflection

Broken by Kegetys and feersum.endjinn (DXDLL)

Engine limitations : no destructible parts for buildings

Broken by Colonel Klink (Dynamic Interactive Buildings)

Searched for the Dynamic Interactive Buildings form Colonel Klink, but didn't find them. No link given. Has anyone seen it at work?

Eddie

You can find the infos about DIB there

But , finally it will not be released for OFP though (with some luck it will be on ArmA), you can find the last words from Colonel Klink on DIB on this page.

limitation: smoke grenades have no effect on enemy AI

Solution: FDF mod implements "Blind spot" into their smoke grenades and makes the smoke effect very realistic

WGL's backpacks got around the limited inventory system.

I think Anderrson originally developed the inventory increasing (via scripts) Backpack addon before WGL (which was further developed by Chain of Command and then used by WGL.) .  smile_o.gif

Could be wrong though, although I distinctly remember people not having seen such an addon when it was released.

I even added a unpacking sound that would play everytime your opened the rucksack on the ground.  It's somewhere on the internet.

Yup I was right.  Credit where credit is due.  I still use the original for some of my coop missions as it is MP compatible. I like the fact that he open sourced his addon and people improved upon it.

http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/back_pack.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/andersson/

@ Oct. 13 2005,06:33)][OT]There was whole DIB forum and it seems Col. Klink released a demo, but... it's gone. It's all gone... forum, demo...

BIS "bought" him too, right?  confused_o.gif So You know, why VBS1 users will have fun, destroying buildings with Dynamic Buildings addon [or maybe patch? I don't know, just saw the video...]

Please, if some1 from have that demo - pm me.

When I saw the news about DIB, there wasn't demo yet. It's seems that news have been edited, and I miss that. [/OT]

***On Topic***

Maybe it's not a limitation, but... :P

Problem: Stupid AI

Solution: ECP, FFUR, VME [?]

Forum is still up last time I was there DC3D Official Forum. DIB isn't dead or forgotten, just on hiatus.

Multiple bomb/missle types on aircraft, that was a big one. Im not sure who did this first, Col Klink I think, but im probably wrong.

Multiple bomb/missle types on aircraft, that was a big one.  Im not sure who did this first, Col Klink I think, but im probably wrong.

You probably are, but I'll lay claim to the ejection seat (in the Sea harrier), opening aircraft canopies, and psuedo missile proxies, animated afterburners (ok so it was on a Skyhawk which didn't have a/bs, but I notice the same principle on other aircraft addons).  biggrin_o.gif

Actually the innovators of OFP were the ones that created all the setpos'd structures that we used pre O2. And all the artists who painstakingly created new units by modifying the existing BIS ones.

Multiple bomb/missle types on aircraft, that was a big one. Im not sure who did this first, Col Klink I think, but im probably wrong.

You probably are, but I'll lay claim to the ejection seat (in the Sea harrier), opening aircraft canopies, and psuedo missile proxies, animated afterburners (ok so it was on a Skyhawk which didn't have a/bs, but I notice the same principle on other aircraft addons). biggrin_o.gif

whereas i lay claim to nothing... besides making vehicles a little more user changable and editable (WMIKs) to their tastes... although not a limitation.

Ill take credit for somehting tounge2.gif not neccesarily ground breaking by any means in engine limits, but animation limits as i havnt seen it before anywhere here,

i succesfully intergrated animated hands smile_o.gif (in OFPAnim itself, not via scripts)

but due to constraits of the poly count of the hands, a release for ArmA will be in mind, especially with a group i work with smile_o.gif

Wildo

One person hasn't been mentioned often enough here biggrin_o.gif My man..

FLIPER!!

His obj2p3d or p3d2obj tools helped the community to survive until some of us got into BIS early mod maker program..

We owe him for the very first "new" models which were brought into the game!!

One person hasn't been mentioned often enough here biggrin_o.gif My man..

FLIPER!!

His obj2p3d or p3d2obj tools helped the community to survive until some of us got into BIS early mod maker program..

We owe him for the very first "new" models which were brought into the game!!

I'll second that.

3 persons on my list amongst too many to name but never to be forgotten.

1. Snypir - the first man who explained in full how to mod from objects to configs.

2.Col Klinks 1st sea harrier VTOL jet, that showed me the wonder of what can be created with a flexi mind eons ago.

3. BRSSEB - the unselfish man who took great pains to write tutorials on how to create objects into ofp at a time when most mods were super-sensitive to let others know how to create stuff back in the old days. Without him, thousands of addons would not have been possible or started at all.

But at the end of it all, its all the new and upcomming guys who are daily still extending the limits and game eras of ofp that commands respect. Kudos to them for keeping ofp alive.

Vme/ FFUR - surrender script (few weeks before the release of ECP).

FFUR - play death.

smile_o.gif

Regards

TB84